You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

I know the question, but I don't know the answer.

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 163,286

Always amazes me that when talks turns to player numbers, acquisition, retention etc, discussion is usually limited to MTT's, with no mention of the other 80%+ of the traffic on the site.

Cash game poker is the bedrock of all online poker sites.
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,486
    If only Sky had kept 40nl no one would have left for other sites
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    Jac35 said:

If only Sky had kept 40nl no one would have left for other sites

I've heard they are introducing 16.50nl though, so they'll come flocking back.
  • Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    Will be another blow to the iPoker network. While Ladbrokes/Coral are now tiny for poker, they are the some of the biggest on that network. It will take a while for them to move over, another bookmaking site that got bought out by another still runs on a network a year later, when the buyer operates their own network.

I'd imagine that the motives for GVC for the takeover had nothing at all to do with poker anyway.

Particulary sad for Labbrokes. I got into poker after their site was on a big downward spiral, but for a while they were the biggest and best in the world. The Labrokes Poker Cruise was THE big thing in the poker world, after the WSOP main. Some interesting YouTube videos around, in one of which Richard Orford appears.
  • Options
    scotty77 said:

Will be another blow to the iPoker network. While Ladbrokes/Coral are now tiny for poker, they are the some of the biggest on that network. It will take a while for them to move over, another bookmaking site that got bought out by another still runs on a network a year later, when the buyer operates their own network.

I'd imagine that the motives for GVC for the takeover had nothing at all to do with poker anyway.

Particulary sad for Labbrokes. I got into poker after their site was on a big downward spiral, but for a while they were the biggest and best in the world. The Labrokes Poker Cruise was THE big thing in the poker world, after the WSOP main. Some interesting YouTube videos around, in one of which Richard Orford appears.

100% correct.

Online Gaming is a huge market these days, (technically, "whoppa monsta big") but Poker forms only a teeny weeny fraction of the total revenues, just a per cent or two. ,
  • Options
    aussie09aussie09 Member Posts: 8,033
    Tikay10 said:

Always amazes me that when talks turns to player numbers, acquisition, retention etc, discussion is usually limited to MTT's, with no mention of the other 80%+ of the traffic on the site.

this might illustrate very well whether one is business-focussed or customer-focussed.

cash must provide a bigger income for the business as rake is taken rapidly, frequently and repeatedly on cash tables, whereas it is taken once at the beginning of a 2 hour tournament. in rake terms, cash is seen as dwarfing all other forms and is understandably the business focus.

tournaments provide the customer with much more fun and, unlike cash, are not monotonous. mtts are what the majority of customers want to play.

if the business focus outweighs the customer focus fewer players will stay. if customer focus outweighs business focus people will not only stay they might play cash too.

therefore, tweak things to address the customer demand first.

• Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,486
    edited December 2017
    aussie09 said:

Tikay10 said:

this might illustrate very well whether one is business-focussed or customer-focussed.

cash must provide a bigger income for the business as rake is taken rapidly, frequently and repeatedly on cash tables, whereas it is taken once at the beginning of a 2 hour tournament. in rake terms, cash is seen as dwarfing all other forms and is understandably the business focus.

tournaments provide the customer with much more fun and, unlike cash, are not monotonous. mtts are what the majority of customers want to play.

if the business focus outweighs the customer focus fewer players will stay. if customer focus outweighs business focus people will not only stay they might play cash too.

Subjective
    I actually agree with you in that I think mtts are more fun. The stats don’t lie though.

80% of traffic is from cash. I’m not sure that this suggests that the majority want to play mtts
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,742
    Jac35 said:

aussie09 said:

Tikay10 said:

Subjective
    I actually agree with you in that I think mtts are more fun. The stats don’t lie though.

80% of traffic is from cash. I’m not sure that this suggests that the majority want to play mtts
    I'm being a bit picky here but Tikay said that 80%+ of the traffic on the site was non MTT - not just cash, so a certain proportion of that will also include all the various sit n go formats.

I fully agree that aussie was a wee bit subjective though. In cash games stacks remain deep which leads to more complex muti-street decisions. For me that equates to a more interesting and fun game so my preference is for cash games (although I'm fully prepared to accept that I may be in the minority here).

It'd be interesting to know what defines 'traffic' in this context. Is it total number of hands dealt/played or total number of individual participants?
  • Options
    DonttelmumDonttelmum Member Posts: 1,921

Jac35 said:

aussie09 said:

Tikay10 said:

Subjective

I'm being a bit picky here but Tikay said that 80%+ of the traffic on the site was non MTT - not just cash, so a certain proportion of that will also include all the various sit n go formats.

I fully agree that aussie was a wee bit subjective though. In cash games stacks remain deep which leads to more complex muti-street decisions. For me that equates to a more interesting and fun game so my preference is for cash games (although I'm fully prepared to accept that I may be in the minority here).

It'd be interesting to know what defines 'traffic' in this context. Is it total number of hands dealt/played or total number of individual participants?
    rake taken?
  • Options

Jac35 said:

aussie09 said:

Tikay10 said:

Subjective

Revenue, or, if you prefer, rake & reg fees.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I'm not trying to suggest MTT's are not important to the Site - they are. All formats are important, as they feed each other. When UKOPS is on, Cash Game traffic rises, & so on, so forth.

It just bemuses me a little, when I see, time after time, folks saying "add more Bounty Hunters/Freezeouts or whatever" & they seem to think that will bring in floods of new customers, or reduce those leaving. (That's called "churn" by the way, & affects every Gaming Site on earth).

Industry-wide, cash accounts for around two thirds of ALL online poker traffic, with the balance split equally between MTT's & SNG's. The Forum is dominated by MTT players, but we must never forget where the bulk of the business sits.

There has already been a gripe that the January Promo, The Pentagon is geared towards Cash Game players - but The Business MUST look after them, as they are where most of the traffic/revenue arises.

It's really really hard to be all things, to all men, all the time.

• Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,742

Jac35 said:

aussie09 said:

Tikay10 said:

Subjective

rake taken?
    Good point - I kinda missed the obvious there! I guess in terms of 'traffic' then that you'd be considered a one man rush hour :)
  • Options
    H3nryH3nry Member Posts: 39
    No unfortunately no vacuum cleaner empire.
    I am a cash game player mainly due to the flexibility it gives me as you can come and go as you please. When I started out I never played enough volume at 4nl to earn rakeback so would receive weekly tokens or access to free roles. The freeroles never took place at times when I could play and the tokens went unused. This used to frustrate me as I felt sky looked upon mtt players more favourably. I was earning points at cash and being rewarded with a tournament token. Could the token not be used in cash poker?
    Another site I play on have a cumulative points system (they aren't reset every week) where you can earn cash tickets. If this is an option for sky would this give the new player an extra shot and a chance to fall in love with the game? Also these tickets give a more regular player a chance to take shots at a higher level. For example a 10nl player could earn a 25nl ticket and take a shot at that level which also works well for the 25nl reg as it adds a player to the pool who may be out of their depth.