You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky to merge with Pokerstars!?!?!

MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
Evening folks, seen this article about the stars takeover. Interesting times, what do people think? I guess stars software would be an upgrade on the current sky one!

https://pokerindustrypro.com/news/article/210189-stars-group-plans-migrate-sky-poker-pokerstars-platform?fbclid=IwAR0UuzjOwC4jJHf7btPFx-cCwZb-sZiRL61QjE67t-PX6Q5uJFySgcoyYbs

Comments

• mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,325
    edited November 2018
    Oh

*Edit.

Oh F***.
  • dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    Makes me think about Unibets purchase of Stanjames ...kept the branding around for a while , then a total migration to unibet and SJ was history . The migration was a total nightmare as well .
  • MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,513
    Inevitable really. Makes business sense, and with the distinct lack of software upgrades, this site has been left behind. Just hope Sky Poker's team have job security for the future.
  • kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,527
    Terrible news. Can't think of a single positive.
  • Allan23Allan23 Member Posts: 863
    Not surprised, as mentioned above makes complete business sense to just merge the 2. Doesn’t mean it’s not a massive shame though.
  • ckdckd Member Posts: 1,386
    edited November 2018
    does that mean sky poker will close..... and if so when ? @Tikay10
  • EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,271
    Ah well, it was fun while it lasted.
  • EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462

It means the Tommy Robinson thread is going to end one day.

But apart from that... :\
    ckd said:

does that mean sky poker will close..... and if so when ? @Tikay10

You expect an answer, let alone an honest one to that ? :D
    EvilPingu said:

It means the Tommy Robinson thread is going to end one day.

But apart from that... :\
    To be fair it'll be the end of your arrogant snidey trolling as well ...so yea a positive .

• K0BAYASHlK0BAYASHl Member Posts: 2,027
    What happens with screen names in a merge if they merge player pools? What if you have the same as someone else?
  • EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    K0BAYASHl said:

What happens with screen names in a merge if they merge player pools? What if you have the same as someone else?

If you have multiple accounts, they'll usually close down one or the other. Imagine they'll close your Sky acc and keep your Stars username.

In the event that someone has an already existing Stars username and you don't have a Stars acc, then I imagine they'll just ask you to change it. I had it with some really obscure site a few years back where I just signed up everywhere with the same name, then they moved network to iPoker where I had already used that name and I just got a prompt to pick a new username when I logged in iirc.
  • dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,051
  • MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,157
    edited November 2018
    MAXALLY said:

Inevitable really. Makes business sense, and with the distinct lack of software upgrades, this site has been left behind. Just hope Sky Poker's team have job security for the future.

massive +1

I suppose it will all come down to the Accountants and whether they see a seperate UK-ish Poker-business as making enough money for them compared to adding 'some' new poker players to what they already have, but I'm sure their main objective is to get the Betting and Gaming business.

I for one ( being a BS =Brexit Supporter :) ) wouldn't be playing on a Global site scale or in a different currency and would certainly look to join other, more British-based sites which I've looked at over the past year without joining 'coz I've been very happy with what SKY Poker have offered, particularly the SPT's, and obviously this Forum.

Whatever happens PS needs TiKay and the team o:)

• Itsover4uItsover4u Member Posts: 1,534
    Yeah hopefully the staffs jobs are safe first and foremost.

If it’s just the software that’s a massive positive... if it full integration then it’s just the end of sky as most players will already play at stars.

Def some reasons why they may keep it such as the higher rake... if sky is turning a profit and they can keep the current staff why not keep it segregated?
  • Sky_SamTSky_SamT Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 984
    Hello,

Please be advised at present, no decision has been made as to what the future will be for Sky Poker.

As Sky Betting & Gaming is now part of The Stars Group, we are reviewing all opportunities to improve our products and promotions for our customers. One possibility would be to integrate Sky Poker within the PokerStars network, benefitting from a wider range of games and greater liquidity. This is something that is being reviewed, but no decisions have been taken, and there are no specific timelines in mind. You can be assured that we would communicate any change in advance. Our goal is to provide the best possible range of products, promotions and brand to our community of players.

Thanks
    Sam
  • kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,527
    Sounds like a stock Stars response :#
  • A_r_KA_r_K Member Posts: 15
    edited November 2018
    This just seems dumb. Sky players already aware of Pokerstars but decide not to play there. By merging most end up going sites like PP/88/ipokers . Hopefully a while before it happens. RIP SKY/Spin ups :(
  • TavrinTavrin Member Posts: 1
    Skys unique selling point is UK only pool. If players wanted to play at stars they would but most players want to play with UK players not Ivan from Russia who doesnt speak any English.
  • HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,144
    Not sure how much influence any comments here will have, but I certainly believe that this could be a massive benefit to Stars if;

The skin is kept but utilises Stars software
    The ban on huds and tracking is kept
    The site stays UK only
    The community aspect is retained

Although I started on Stars I don't play there anymore, I play PP and Unibet, if Sky went I would most likely migrate to those site.
    If Sky stays and I get used to the software then I may try Stars again