You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky to merge with Pokerstars!?!?!

Comments

• MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 724
    edited November 2018
    ^^^

'Ivan' is also pretty good, isn't he...

Ivan The (not so) Terrible
  • MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 724
    To take the issue seriously then:

I'm not sure which factor(s) will be the key one(s) when it comes to the decision on which direction they end up going in with this but I'm sceptical as to whether we, the players, the forum community, can/will have any influence one way or another.

Having said that, I will just echo the sentiments of a few others by saying that I will also not be migrating with my Sky Poker account if it means being integrated into the entire Stars player pool - not because I don't want to play with Ivan, Ivan's alright, no issues with Ivan... actually it is because of Ivan in a way (but not because he can't speak a word of the Queen's).

Whilst being a recreational player (who works full time and plays most evenings) I still don't like to lose money playing poker. I don't quite enjoy the game enough to view it as an amusing pastime that I'm prepared to spend both (potentially lots of) money and hours per evening grinding a few tables of MTT knowing that I'm very much going to be an underdog when/if I get to the business end of the tournament after 5, 6, 7, 8 hours(?) of play :/

The player pool is weaker, the tournaments are more manageable and I feel like I'm profitable. That's the bottom line for why I choose to play here from a poker playing perspective.

I do very much enjoy being a part of the Sky Poker forum community too though and have 'met' (they're still just Avatars and screennames to be honest - no real life meetings as yet) some nice/interesting/talented people here. It would be a real shame if the whole kit and caboodle goes in one job lot.

It's easy (and somewhat natural) to only really think about the impact this has on ourselves but I would also like to echo another sentiment in wishing the best for all Sky Poker employees in these uncertain times.
  • cal69cal69 Member Posts: 34
  • craigcu12craigcu12 Member Posts: 3,960
    Sky poker isn't just a poker site it's also a site where the players are great friends with each other.
    I haven't been as active on sky poker recently but sky poker still means alot to me. I have bonded with the sky poker community so well, If we are to lose the forum poker tables and especially SPTs I might as well stop playing sky altogether because in cash terms I know sites which have much weaker cash tables than those you'll get on pokerstars and loss of the forum tables and SPTs means I'll lose the what is a very helpful respectful set of cyber friends.

I want to give a huge thank you to all the sky poker community and wish you all the best if I were to lose you
  • CxE1CxE1 Member Posts: 204
    Most of us have accounts at various sites. They may give a few sweeteners at the time of migration but there after people will choose where to play. The cost saving from staff reduction will be lost to player reduction. There are huge issues in the coming years relating to problem gaming and it would be wise to keep options open. The sky brand is the real value and keeping the "acceptable face of gaming" should be a priority. There should be a weighting on the opportunity cost. At a time of consolidation in the market, players moving to rival sites may take up the opportunity to partake in their non poker related gaming thus devaluing the primary purchased product.
  • BrrrrrrrBrrrrrrr Member Posts: 4,178
    A real shame if it does happen. IF it does and we get advance warning of the closure date it would be handy to have a thread where people could recommend other sites with a similar feel to Sky ( if that exists ).
  • Itsover4uItsover4u Member Posts: 1,529
    I actually think the player pool is weaker on stars all the way up to the $55 mtts (not talking cash here)

The main issue is to play for decent prizes you usually have to commit to 12 hours of play in a regular speed mtt.

• mukta1818mukta1818 Member Posts: 30
    i have played on 888 poker and its a joke and if that was the only option to play then i would start playing chess because i dnt think they understand the game they call all in with 84 and other people call with 83 and 72 might see one player with jq ive been ruined many times with the stuff they call with all in pre flop i think at sky poker u get a little bit of respect not much but somtimes just enough to win the pot plus they hate the english always splatting me with eggs and toms and cakes hahaha i love it love ther emojs hahaha sort it out sky then u will be the bestest becky connor said the same
  • Itsover4uItsover4u Member Posts: 1,529
    mukta1818 said:

i have played on 888 poker and its a joke and if that was the only option to play then i would start playing chess because i dnt think they understand the game they call all in with 84 and other people call with 83 and 72 might see one player with jq ive been ruined many times with the stuff they call with all in pre flop i think at sky poker u get a little bit of respect not much but somtimes just enough to win the pot plus they hate the english always splatting me with eggs and toms and cakes hahaha i love it love ther emojs hahaha sort it out sky then u will be the bestest becky connor said the same

if they call allins with 83, 84, 72... sign me up
  • NChanningNChanning Member Posts: 846
    Go all-on with JQ. Get called by 84, 83 and 72. Become disappointed at the lack of respect around the place.

No...sorry...still confused.
  • Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    When I get a bad beat, it's definitely the lack of respect that hurts the most :D

RE Stars, at present I choose not to play there. For MTTs they essentially offer a different product (large field, mostly 9max) which I'm not interested in. If the player pools are merged I won't play there; there are plenty of other options.

From a business perspective, customers of Sky presumably play here because of Sky's USPs. If you merge the pools you destroy the USPs and I think it would be somewhat naïve to think the customer base will just mosey on over to Stars and not assess all of the options available to them.

Feel sorry for Sky Poker staff most of all, not just for the uncertainty, but because they literally won't be allowed to say what they actually think.
  • A_r_KA_r_K Member Posts: 15
    edited November 2018
    mukta1818 said:

OK . Think found my new site lol
  • StayOrGoStayOrGo Member Posts: 12,125
    edited November 2018
    Probably have different opinions to most on this.

If they move SkyPoker to the Pokerstars software "skin" but maintain the UK only player base separate from Stars itself, that would be perfect imo. IE keep all the positives we have now but with better software.

If they just just drop SkyPoker, that's not so good.

Would we be able to have our normal Stars account and a separate account for the migrated SkyPoker wing?

Otherwise "migrating SkyPoker players to the Stars platform", is just a polite way of saying they're going to ditch SkyPoker. Imo of course.

G
  • NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,164
    I sincerely hope it stays similar to how it is now and all the staff remain.
    I bet they won't want to keep The Rail though.
  • JJBinksJJBinks Member Posts: 440
    Star's software is nice to play on, but that comes at a cost for a Reg, very little rake back, battling seating scrips, Huds, and playerpool ECT (Russian stables).

Don't see any up side to this merger imo for a Reg.

It would be a no brainer for me to move to one of the other sites that don't have the same problems.

I have enjoyed it here, good while it lasted.

• dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    So , would be genuinely interested to know what business benefits Stars would gain from keeping the skypoker brand ( even with different software ) , rather than just total integration and migration over to stars and goodnight skypoker ?

So , would be genuinely interested to know what business benefits Stars would gain from keeping the skypoker brand ( even with different software ) , rather than just total integration and migration over to stars and goodnight skypoker ?

Did you read any of the rest of the thread?
  • dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793

Did you read any of the rest of the thread?
    Did you ? I'm asking for a " from a business perspective " as opposed to from a players perspective . if you can't provide any insight to that , then move over so someone else can !
    TLDR:
    Many players already have Stars accounts; they can't have two.
    All players currently have the option of playing on Stars but many choose not to.

If Stars keep Sky going, they get rake from both above categories that they otherwise wouldn't.