You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

What happens if ..

peter27peter27 Member Posts: 1,634
.. you bust everyone out of a tournament before late registration has ended. Do you win it, or do you just sit there waiting until the late registration time has elapsed?

I just played a £500 bounty hunter where many players have been eliminated during the first two levels which is what got me thinking. Unfortunately, I was one of those who were eliminated. Exit hand below for those who are interested:
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
jakescolSmall blind15.0015.002352.50
wilson47Big blind30.0045.001950.00
Your hole cards
  • A
  • A
mattporterFold
HAYSIERaise90.00135.002981.25
manosalexFold
peter27Raise270.00405.004095.00
jakescolFold
wilson47Fold
HAYSIECall180.00585.002801.25
Flop
HAYSIECheck
peter27Check
Turn
HAYSIEBet438.751023.752362.50
peter27Call438.751462.503656.25
River
HAYSIEBet1096.882559.381265.62
peter27All-in3656.256215.630.00
HAYSIEAll-in1265.627481.250.00
peter27Unmatched bet1293.756187.501293.75
HAYSIEShow
peter27Show
  • A
  • A
HAYSIEWinTwo Pairs, 9s and 7s6187.506187.50
Feel free to comment on the play if you like. I imagine a few of you won't like the check on the flop, but I don't think I mind that so much. Obviously a check for deception, and those cards are unlikely to have hit anything major in the opponents pre-flop raising range. The big mistake in my opinion was just calling on the turn, slow playing aces is a trap that it's hard not to fall into.

Open to feedback.

Comments

• Options
    K0BAYASHlK0BAYASHl Member Posts: 2,027
    1The game ends as soon as the last player is eliminated. Thats why some players used to go all in in the sattilites first hand to flip for the prize before others joined.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    Whats the thinking by jamming river?
  • Options
    SJspanky1SJspanky1 Member Posts: 620

Repping nut flush while holding Ac? Unlikely when we don't cbet flop though.

It's a simple flat call on river all day with that runout.

• Options

Incorrectly thought I was ahead. Didn't expect a raise, and then a call to my re-raise pre-flop with middle suited connectors from that position. Also, as SJspanky1 said, I was trying to represent the flush.
  • Options
    peter27 said:

Incorrectly thought I was ahead. Didn't expect a raise, and then a call to my re-raise pre-flop with middle suited connectors from that position. Also, as SJspanky1 said, I was trying to represent the flush.
    I don't think I understand.

You thought you were ahead anyway, but are also trying to represent an even better hand? Some kind of high level range merging going on?

River is a call or fold. What worse hands, as played, are going to pay you off when you jam for perceived value?

There are many combos of raise peel type hands that are beating just one pair by the river.
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    Struggling with some of the logic here. I don't see why we would need to represent the flush if we think we are ahead. As hhy said, I dont see what worst hands call river jam.
  • Options
    mcglynn07mcglynn07 Member Posts: 154
    Not putting bets in when we are ahead on flop and turn. Villain called 3x pre u could of check raised turn for the extra bet (2 bets on turn) after betting and getting called flop. but you put it all in when we are not ahead and you don't really know where we are in the hand. We have one pair hand on a str/fl board. What hands you trying to get value from. Kk qq Jj as played maybe Jj or qq at a stretch bug not kings. TT has you beat as has 99 and 77, 88 may not call a shove. Pocket 55 and pocket 22 if he has them and he raised pre he might not check them with a fd on flop and then a straight draw on turn . You lose to two pair and you lose to flushes by river

It's hard to see what you are repping by river

trying to trap maybe / deception. But you reraised pre which is fine but it just feels strange the way you played it as you have not tried to build a pot with the best hand on two important streets which gives you're hand strength away to one pair ish which you think is stronger and worth more than it is.

The funny thing is you don't mention villains hand at any point what you think he has and what you can beat or get to fold if you are trying to bluff by the river

One thing I'm slowly learning in poker Is deception is achieved by playing your strong hand / value hands in the same way as your draw or combo draw hands in a very similar fashion so you blur the lines of what you're opponent a ) thinks your doing b ) what you are holding c) what his options are. When you are facing aggression repeatedly you can limit opponents options or choices.

As I know how the hand played out I don't think you get him to fold any street with the route you chose to take Maybe a flop shove maybe. But he hits top pair picks up an fd on turn and rivers two pair. Your river raise is not big enough due to stacks to get a lot of good players to fold two pair.

Hope this helps Danny
  • Options
    ^^

Peter can raise the turn, but he can't check raise the turn due to being in position.

I think a river flat and it's played ok, unconventional but it's good to mix it up every now and then. The very clear mistake in the hand is to jam the river, as played.
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,163
    edited January 2019
    Good to see HAYSIE being called a VILLAIN ! :D;)

Always good to see hands like these brought up for comments from good players on how it should be played/could be played better, but I've noticed this couldn't have been your exit hand as you still had nearly 1300 chips left :o
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,213
    Type your comment
    MISTY4ME said:

Always good to see hands like these brought up for comments from good players on how it should be played/could be played better, but I've noticed this couldn't have been your exit hand as you still had nearly 1300 chips left :o

@MISTY4ME

Talking of @HAYSIE, is he OK? Not posted or played on Sky Poker for several days, & he usually plays every day.

Wish him well from me if you speak to him please.
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    In terms of the slow playing, we are slow playing 1 pair so on certain (and potentially a lot as we only have 1 pair) we will struggle to get a lot of action where we still have the best hand.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Type your comment

MISTY4ME said:

@MISTY4ME

Talking of @HAYSIE, is he OK? Not posted or played on Sky Poker for several days, & he usually plays every day.

Will do TiKay if I speak to him. He's probably gone abroad to get some Sun B) ...... before BREXIT stops his flights and the £ becomes worth less than a Euro. :)
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,026
    Tikay10 said:

Type your comment

MISTY4ME said:

@MISTY4ME

Back now. Unfortunately had to go to a funeral in Great Yarmouth. Thanks for your concern.
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

Tikay10 said:

Type your comment

MISTY4ME said:

@MISTY4ME

Will do TiKay if I speak to him. He's probably gone abroad to get some Sun B) ...... before BREXIT stops his flights and the £ becomes worth less than a Euro. :)
    This counts as a very comprehensive post for you. They are usually concise, like true, or agreed or bs.

However it is pleasing to note that you are finally getting the message on Brexit, and not listening to your hero Tim Martin.

Good luck on the tables.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,213
    HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

Type your comment

MISTY4ME said:

@MISTY4ME

Back now. Unfortunately had to go to a funeral in Great Yarmouth. Thanks for your concern.
    I do tend to worry about you old people.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

Type your comment

MISTY4ME said:

@MISTY4ME

I do tend to worry about you old people.
    You are far too kind.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

Tikay10 said:

Type your comment

MISTY4ME said:

@MISTY4ME

This counts as a very comprehensive post for you. They are usually concise, like true, or agreed or bs.

However it is pleasing to note that you are finally getting the message on Brexit, and not listening to your hero Tim Martin.

Good luck on the tables.
    Man of few words me as you know ;)

Thanks for the GOOD LUCK wishes..... must have helped 'coz I've bagged myself a seat to SPT Manchester,,,,, and from playing two £2.30 sat's to quarter-final (qualified for Quarter but failed to make the Semi), and one £2.60 All-in which I won..... So it can be done :)

..... was it Mel's brother's funeral Tony?
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

Tikay10 said:

Type your comment

MISTY4ME said:

@MISTY4ME

Good luck on the tables.
    Man of few words me as you know ;)

Thanks for the GOOD LUCK wishes..... must have helped 'coz I've bagged myself a seat to SPT Manchester,,,,, and from playing two £2.30 sat's to quarter-final (qualified for Quarter but failed to make the Semi), and one £2.60 All-in which I won..... So it can be done :)

..... was it Mel's brother's funeral Tony?
    Yes it was. He did well. They gave him 6 months nearly 5 years ago.
  • Options

peter27 said:

You thought you were ahead anyway, but are also trying to represent an even better hand? Some kind of high level range merging going on?

River is a call or fold. What worse hands, as played, are going to pay you off when you jam for perceived value?

There are many combos of raise peel type hands that are beating just one pair by the river.
    MattBates said:

Struggling with some of the logic here. I don't see why we would need to represent the flush if we think we are ahead. As hhy said, I dont see what worst hands call river jam.

I did think I were ahead, and wanted the call, hence the shove. The comment about the flush was perhaps worded wrongly, but I expected a fold on the basis the opponent was thinking that I made the flush on the river. I'm confused by the bit I've bolded above? Surely the opponent calling my re-raise pre-flop would, in most circumstances, get rid of the majority of hands that are beating AA on this board? A pocket pair that made a set could have me beat, but even 22 or 55 would be a loose call pre, no? Two clubs is possible I suppose, something like KQs, KJs etc.

I suppose there was an element of "okay, I know this player is aggressive, and they only started betting after I had checked the flop, so they're possibly trying a double-barrell bluff on the turn and river here".
    mcglynn07 said:

Not putting bets in when we are ahead on flop and turn. Villain called 3x pre u could of check raised turn for the extra bet (2 bets on turn) after betting and getting called flop. but you put it all in when we are not ahead and you don't really know where we are in the hand. We have one pair hand on a str/fl board. What hands you trying to get value from. Kk qq Jj as played maybe Jj or qq at a stretch bug not kings. TT has you beat as has 99 and 77, 88 may not call a shove. Pocket 55 and pocket 22 if he has them and he raised pre he might not check them with a fd on flop and then a straight draw on turn . You lose to two pair and you lose to flushes by river

trying to trap maybe / deception. But you reraised pre which is fine but it just feels strange the way you played it as you have not tried to build a pot with the best hand on two important streets which gives you're hand strength away to one pair ish which you think is stronger and worth more than it is.

The funny thing is you don't mention villains hand at any point what you think he has and what you can beat or get to fold if you are trying to bluff by the river

One thing I'm slowly learning in poker Is deception is achieved by playing your strong hand / value hands in the same way as your draw or combo draw hands in a very similar fashion so you blur the lines of what you're opponent a ) thinks your doing b ) what you are holding c) what his options are. When you are facing aggression repeatedly you can limit opponents options or choices.

As I know how the hand played out I don't think you get him to fold any street with the route you chose to take Maybe a flop shove maybe. But he hits top pair picks up an fd on turn and rivers two pair. Your river raise is not big enough due to stacks to get a lot of good players to fold two pair.

Hope this helps Danny

I think I answered a few of these questions above, but yeah, I'm seeing what all three of you are getting at now. Your comment about playing strong hands and draws in the same way is something I certainly need to work on. Thanks for the guidance :)
    MISTY4ME said:

That's an excellent point. Hmmm. The only thing I can think was that the "true" exit hand was one I deemed to be unlucky (possibly a coinflip) - this is the hand that will have done the damage, but, I was technically wrong to call this the exit hand.
  • Options
    peter27 said:

peter27 said:

MattBates said:

I did think I were ahead, and wanted the call, hence the shove. The comment about the flush was perhaps worded wrongly, but I expected a fold on the basis the opponent was thinking that I made the flush on the river. I'm confused by the bit I've bolded above? Surely the opponent calling my re-raise pre-flop would, in most circumstances, get rid of the majority of hands that are beating AA on this board? A pocket pair that made a set could have me beat, but even 22 or 55 would be a loose call pre, no? Two clubs is possible I suppose, something like KQs, KJs etc.

I suppose there was an element of "okay, I know this player is aggressive, and they only started betting after I had checked the flop, so they're possibly trying a double-barrell bluff on the turn and river here".
    mcglynn07 said:

Hope this helps Danny

I think I answered a few of these questions above, but yeah, I'm seeing what all three of you are getting at now. Your comment about playing strong hands and draws in the same way is something I certainly need to work on. Thanks for the guidance :)
    MISTY4ME said:

That's an excellent point. Hmmm. The only thing I can think was that the "true" exit hand was one I deemed to be unlucky (possibly a coinflip) - this is the hand that will have done the damage, but, I was technically wrong to call this the exit hand.
    TT
    9Ts all combos
    97s all combos
    J8
    All high club combos.

That's quite a range of hands that are beating one pair by the river no? And the flop was checked through so you missed a street of information.

Even if you think they are going for a turn and river double barrel bluff, this still doesn't mean you should jam the river. Calling allows you to pick their bluff off, jamming means you get called only by better hands.