You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Aafter two weeks

I've only been playing a few weeks, I started as I like trying new things that I can excel in.
After reading a few books I was happy I could beat poker, which to a degree I have. I've won a few tournaments and do pretty much all I can correctly and give myself the best opportunities to win consistently.

But, I didn't realise how much luck is involved when playing poker especially tournaments. I tried the forum ones tonight as figured the standard of play would be much higher, however with the exception of one which I lost to AA the other two were people just calling with any cards and making a hand on the fifth card. Very disappointed and also surprised at the level played to be honest.

Will use the remainder of my winnings tomorrow but then will stop as I'm happy as I have beat the game and that's the only reason I started playing.

Looking for a new challenge now, ideally something that needs skill only to be the greatest.

Comments

• Options
    ToffeeandyToffeeandy Member Posts: 905
    If you think you've "beat the game" then maybe best you do stop playing; better players than me will tell you that's pretty much impossible, especially after a 58 game sample where you haven't exactly set the heather on fire, from what I can see......
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,528
    Zobro said:

I've only been playing a few weeks, I started as I like trying new things that I can excel in.
    After reading a few books I was happy I could beat poker, which to a degree I have. I've won a few tournaments and do pretty much all I can correctly and give myself the best opportunities to win consistently.

But, I didn't realise how much luck is involved when playing poker especially tournaments. I tried the forum ones tonight as figured the standard of play would be much higher, however with the exception of one which I lost to AA the other two were people just calling with any cards and making a hand on the fifth card. Very disappointed and also surprised at the level played to be honest.

Will use the remainder of my winnings tomorrow but then will stop as I'm happy as I have beat the game and that's the only reason I started playing.

Looking for a new challenge now, ideally something that needs skill only to be the greatest.

Dont read too much into the forum games you played. They are all cheap tournaments where there is a lot of variance. Because of the cost, some players just play them 'like' freeroles sometimes and the plays can get frustrating at times. However, on the flip slip, it is still the best way to get into and learn the game without damaging your bank roll too much. 3 games for a fiver? Keep your head, and also get a bit of luck, and you can get a few hours out of these games. Remember, these are also designed to be fun tournaments.

If you are getting down with some of the plays in these games, then maybe poker might not be for you. Higher level beats will really sting you in fact.

Anyway, hopefully after a time of reflection, you may see things different. Might even see you next week playing again? You will be most welcome.

I am just a recreational player (and before the trolls and goaders turn up on thread, a losing player overall).....so I do still just play for fun.

I will post that exit hand up here. You had 14/15 big blinds at the start of the hand. As it was a deepstack, possible not open shoving was the most optimal play? Maybe others can give you some (better and more informed) advice on it, and any other hands you may need feed back on. I also hope you take any advice on board. Poker is never easy....but it is also a never ending game. Good luck.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    MAXALLYSmall blind150.00150.004677.50
    lcfcfan14Big blind300.00450.006055.00
    Your hole cards
    • A
    • A
    BoomswitchFold
    angus1946Fold
    STEVE1937Fold
    ZobroAll-in4440.004890.000.00
    MAXALLYCall4290.009180.00387.50
    lcfcfan14Fold
    MAXALLYShow
    • A
    • A
    ZobroShow
    Flop
    • Q
    • K
    Turn
    River
    MAXALLYWinFlush to the Ace9180.009567.50
  • Options
    ZobroZobro Member Posts: 24
    @Toffeeandy not sure what you mean? I’ve won tournaments so there’s not much more you can do in poker. If the standard of players was higher iI probably would have won many more over the two weeks. Point is that without luck, many players wouldn’t beat me.
    Are you a troll??
  • Options
    @MAXALLY
    From the books I was following I didn’t think I could do much else in that hand, and as I’ve said most players will call my all in with a lot worse than 88. Was actually nice being behind to a great hand for once.
  • Options
    ToffeeandyToffeeandy Member Posts: 905
    Zobro said:

@Toffeeandy not sure what you mean? I’ve won tournaments so there’s not much more you can do in poker. If the standard of players was higher iI probably would have won many more over the two weeks. Point is that without luck, many players wouldn’t beat me.
    Are you a troll??

No I'm not a troll, I just don't agree with what you say; just because someone has a different opinion to you doesn't make them a troll. You mention luck, all I would say is if the best hand pre-flop always won then it would be a very boring game.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,664

Morning @Zobro.

"Looking for a new challenge now, ideally something that needs skill only to be the greatest"

Chess would be ideal, & I'm sure you'd do well. There's no luck in Chess. The problem, however, is that it's really tough to beat better players at Chess, precisely because luck plays such a small part. In poker, however, even less skilled players can & do bink now & then. There are very few other competitive games where that applies.

However, I think a little tough love is in order here.

"After reading a few books I was happy I could beat poker, which to a degree I have. I've won a few tournaments and do pretty much all I can correctly and give myself the best opportunities to win consistently".

You have played 65 MTT's, so it's far too early to make a judgement on your ability to beat poker. Many players play 20 or 30 MTT's every day, & you need at the very minimum a 1,000 game sample to know where you really stand in poker. 65 games tells us nothing.

But this is completely incorrect......

If the standard of players was higher iI probably would have won many more over the two weeks. Point is that without luck, many players wouldn’t beat me.

I completely get why, 65 games in, you think that, but you are very wrong. The skilled players win consistently over the long term, the bad players do the opposite. Look at the Sharky graph of a good MTT player & you'll see a consistent line gradually getting higher, simply because, whilst poker does contain a degree of luck, the better players always win in the long term. And it's just as well that luck plays a part, otherwise less skilled players would never win, & then they'd be lost to poker. The beauty of the game is that ANYONE can win an MTT, no matter how bad they are.

These bad players you allude to do everything wrong - they get it in as a 40-60 or 35-65 shot & bink a few times. The maths say they are bound to win a few times when they get it in bad. Getting it in with, say, 3-3 v A-A will mean they lose 80% of those coups, but they do still get to win 20% of them. Short term, happy days, long term, they are always going to lose. It's simple maths. no more, no less.

Good players understand game flow, position (UTG, late etc), the power of the button, Fold Equity, hand ranges, calling ranges in various positions & chip stack sizes, short stack play & many many more things.

In short, irrespective of luck, bad players will always lose long term, good players will always win long term.

If you decide to move on, gl in whatever pursuit you choose. If you decide to persist a little longer, use this Forum to seek advice from good players - they are a great bunch here & will offer free advice which you'd have to pay good money for elsewhere.

Take care now.
  • Options
    Type your comment
    Zobro said:

Are you a troll? ?

Think that's a little harsh @Zobra.

@Toffeeandy was trying to be helpful, as always, & what he wrote was 100% accurate.

And he does know poker - he has 6,000 games on his CV at an average stake of £3.50, so he plays these lower stake players all the time, & has managed to win several thousand pounds doing so, which at an average stake of £3.50 really does take some doing. And over 6,000 games, we can discount luck being responsible for his profit.
  • Options
    @Tikay10 I did play chess for quite a while and love it, definitely a game where time, effort and skill pay off.
    I set out to see if I could win at poker, which I have but I didn’t realise the amount of luck involved when I started. It’s been an eye opener and also an adventure. Not sure what that other guy is so annoyed about, but it could be that he is yet to win maybe.
    It may seem that I haven’t played enough games to some but the way I look at anything competitive I take on once you have won there’s not that much left to accomplish.
  • Options
    @Toffeeandy I’m like people having opinions but Ive proven myself already.
    Pre flop is irrelevant, it’s when your money goes in is when it matters. Hence why your comment makes no sense.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Type your comment

Zobro said:

Are you a troll? ?

@Toffeeandy was trying to be helpful, as always, & what he wrote was 100% accurate.

And he does know poker - he has 6,000 games on his CV at an average stake of £3.50, so he plays these lower stake players all the time, & has managed to win several thousand pounds doing so, which at an average stake of £3.50 really does take some doing. And over 6,000 games, we can discount luck being responsible for his profit.
    But he stated that because I’d lost the last ones that I haven’t beat it, yet he has no information on how I was knocked out so his attempt to shoot me down fails miserably.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Zobro said:

Tikay10 said:

Type your comment

Zobro said:

Are you a troll? ?

But he stated that because I’d lost the last ones that I haven’t beat it, yet he has no information on how I was knocked out so his attempt to shoot me down fails miserably.
    Well I really don't think he was "trying to shoot you down" at all, that's not in his nature.

Anyway, we could to & fro on this moot point all day, so let's agree to differ.
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,153
    This whole thread has to be a level.
  • Options
    Allan23Allan23 Member Posts: 864
    Surely a troll attempt 😂😂
  • Options
    @Allan23 i think you are right about toffeeandy.
    I suspected he was trolling me straight same as you did.
  • Options
    HENDRIK62 said:

What’s a level mean in post terms?
  • Options
    Type your comment
    Zobro said:

HENDRIK62 said:

What’s a level mean in post terms?
    A "level" is when a point is made, on the face of it, seriously, but really it is intended as a joke.

It's street.
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,299

Guy scores a penalty Vs his mum in goal.

With nothing else to accomplish in football, he moves on.

Well used quote I know..but poker taking a few minutes to learn but a lifetime to master still rings true for me....@zobro maybe move on to chess, aster that, then blackjack and so on and wish I had got the opportunity to play against you...delusional of Taunton
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,638

and calls himself Ronaldo in the process
  • Options
    madprof said:

Well used quote I know..but poker taking a few minutes to learn but a lifetime to master still rings true for me....@zobro maybe move on to chess, aster that, then blackjack and so on and wish I had got the opportunity to play against you...delusional of Taunton
    Same, will be nice to play you if we meet one tournament