You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

SKY HIGH RAKE

Comments

• Options
    chicknMeltchicknMelt Member Posts: 1,159
    just looked at 3 of the top DYM regs. NONE of them are in profit for £11 turbo dyms over their last 5k games

surely that is a cause for concern/ warning sign that the games will die.

games used to be softer, and profits used to be made pre rakeback….but not anymore.

how long do you expect these players to keep playing? and what do you think happens if there are no regs left?
  • Options
    dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    edited February 2019
    3 of the top dym regs arent in profit out of how many regs ?and over how long ?
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,067
    There are very few regs playing 5k TDYMs
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Essexphil said:

There are very few regs playing 5k TDYMs

..the rest of them of playing away merrily tho :)
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    This post is a level right ? ...If you make your money at poker , then you have to play against people who are not as good as you to get an edge . Assuming that is what most pros are after doing , and you then accept that most of the recs who pros want to play against against aren't actually that bothered about rake ( they just like playing) , then the whole subject is nonsense . So working on that basis , and appreciating that a site is perceived as " soft " and the rewards for volume play are good then apart from the fact that poker players like to moan , what exactly is the issue ?
  • Options
    3 out of 3, and I picked the ones I thought most likely to be in profit. I was trying to find out if the games are even beatable by the best players on the site.

One was in overall profit, but not over their last 5k games, which is why I mentioned that and not lifetime +/-

You don't think sky should lower rake at all then dobie? you seem to be defending them
  • Options

This post is a level right ? ...If you make your money at poker , then you have to play against people who are not as good as you to get an edge . Assuming that is what most pros are after doing , and you then accept that most of the recs who pros want to play against against aren't actually that bothered about rake ( they just like playing) , then the whole subject is nonsense . So working on that basis , and appreciating that a site is perceived as " soft " and the rewards for volume play are good then apart from the fact that poker players like to moan , what exactly isd the issue ?

No. There needs to be a delicate balance between the Regs and Recs, as well as poker sites (like everything else in the world) being competitively priced in its marketplace.

Recs need to get value for their money. And if rake is too high many go elsewhere. Recs are gold dust in the poker world. And pros need to be able to make sufficient profit, or they don't bother. And no poker site survives unless it caters sufficiently for both groups.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I really don't want to argue , but I| find it bizarre that a reg , who makes money out of recs , would argue about the level of rake , when recs really arent that bothered about it . And the proof of that statement is in the game play , if recs didnt want to play cos of the rake they would simply go elsewhere . ...as far as dyms are concerened ...1 , 2 , 5 , 11 games seem to play pretty regularly on here ( try playing ipoker if you dont believe me ) ...if you want to play anything higher , then how are you going to get the recs playing them anyway ?
  • Options

This post is a level right ? ...If you make your money at poker , then you have to play against people who are not as good as you to get an edge . Assuming that is what most pros are after doing , and you then accept that most of the recs who pros want to play against against aren't actually that bothered about rake ( they just like playing) , then the whole subject is nonsense . So working on that basis , and appreciating that a site is perceived as " soft " and the rewards for volume play are good then apart from the fact that poker players like to moan , what exactly is the issue ?

I don't accept that most recs aren't bothered about rake, I think they simply aren't aware they are getting ripped off. It also makes the games unbeatable, which isn't good for anyone...
  • Options

I don't accept that most recs aren't bothered about rake, I think they simply aren't aware they are getting ripped off. It also makes the games unbeatable, which isn't good for anyone...
    So you are effectively saying that recs exclusively play one site and wont be aware of rake on other sites ?
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Essexphil said:

This post is a level right ? ...If you make your money at poker , then you have to play against people who are not as good as you to get an edge . Assuming that is what most pros are after doing , and you then accept that most of the recs who pros want to play against against aren't actually that bothered about rake ( they just like playing) , then the whole subject is nonsense . So working on that basis , and appreciating that a site is perceived as " soft " and the rewards for volume play are good then apart from the fact that poker players like to moan , what exactly isd the issue ?

No. There needs to be a delicate balance between the Regs and Recs, as well as poker sites (like everything else in the world) being competitively priced in its marketplace.

Recs need to get value for their money. And if rake is too high many go elsewhere. Recs are gold dust in the poker world. And pros need to be able to make sufficient profit, or they don't bother. And no poker site survives unless it caters sufficiently for both groups.
    Well if the balance wasn't right , the site would have folded , right?
    Like to see the regularly dym ers come on and give their take ...you know vlallia , timmyrara etc i.e the people who are prepared to pay the rake and still make money
  • Options
    No, Im saying they don't think about the ev of a game before they play it. They play somewhere out of habit, where their mates play, because of the community, where the games run etc.

If they did (think about ev) turbo DYMs and a lot of other games would simply not run on sky.

Sky takes advantage of this by charging them a lot more than anyone else in the industry.

...So I understand that you don't care about rake. I would be interested to know other recreational players views...
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Nail hit on head
  • Options

No, Im saying they don't think about the ev of a game before they play it. They play somewhere out of habit, where their mates play, because of the community, where the games run etc.

If they did (think about ev) turbo DYMs and a lot of other games would simply not run on sky.

Sky takes advantage of this by charging them a lot more than anyone else in the industry.

...So I understand that you don't care about rake. I would be interested to know other recreational players views...

Absolutely and as I already mentioned also winning regs as well for balance

• Options
    I'm also interested to know Chicknmelt whats your ultimate reason for the post ...is it because you are concerned that the rake will kill off the recs or the rake hits the profit margins of a marginally successfull player ?
  • Options
    I am not as talented at this game as some.

But I have been fortunate enough to make a lot of money playing poker because I am very good at game selection. I keep detailed records of how and where I make profit.

I can make money on Sky. But I cannot on TDYMs. I play them from time to time, but not to make money from them. I cannot beat the rake.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

I am not as talented at this game as some.

But I have been fortunate enough to make a lot of money playing poker because I am very good at game selection. I keep detailed records of how and where I make profit.

I can make money on Sky. But I cannot on TDYMs. I play them from time to time, but not to make money from them. I cannot beat the rake.

I cant be arsed , but prob scope vlallia ...i gen dont know if hes up or down ...however it doesnt stop him volume playing them , as well as other usual suspects ...none of them complaining about the rake
  • Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    'More rake is better'

Dobie Negreanu, 27th February 2019
  • Options
    edited February 2019

'More rake is better'

Dobie Negreanu, 27th February 2019

Applauds the contribution , try reading the whole thread in future , before you tap on the keyboard
  • Options
    edited February 2019

I'm also interested to know Chicknmelt whats your ultimate reason for the post ...is it because you are concerned that the rake will kill off the recs or the rake hits the profit margins of a marginally successfull player ?

The ultimate reason for my post is because I feel a bit cheated by sky. I feel like they should offer games for a similar price to their competitors.

I also thik the games that have too high rake will slowly die

I don't actually play turbo dyms very often btw, so it doesn't really effect me.

although, I might play them if rake was less! Same for spins cash

Essexphil said:

Well if the balance wasn't right , the site would have folded , right?
    Like to see the regularly dym ers come on and give their take ...you know vlallia , timmyrara etc i.e the people who are prepared to pay the rake and still make money
    not from £11+ turbo dyms.