You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Top 40 Boxers?

2»

Comments

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,273
    Type your comment
    Itsover4u said:

Tikay10 said:

Loved the Steve Robinson story @Essexphil.

My other early memory of boxing was Henry Cooper, who used to often serve in the greengrocers shops he had with his brother in Wembley High St.

I remember clearly his Wembley fight against Cassius Clay, as I think he was known then.

@Tikay10 Henry as you may remember knocked down Ali with Henry's Hammer... Ali was all but gone and the bell saved him.

Ali's trainer Angelo Dundee saw the state he was in then tore Ali's glove so there was a delay to the start of he next round by more than 5 minutes.... the rest is history

Zero chance of getting away with that in this day and age, but ultimately robbed cooper of a huge win
    Well I was not & am still not a boxing expert, but at the time I was convinced Henry would & should have won that bout.

Still, it all worked out pretty well for Henry in the end, he earned a fortune from endorsing products & personal appearances, won SPOTY twice & got Knighted, & I imagine he died a very wealthy man indeed.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,520
    Tikay10 said:

PS-the Steve Robinson story was Haysie's.

Oops, apologies to @HAYSIE.

To be fair to me, you too are so alike.

Nonsense.

Haysie has recently retired, and spends too much time on this site as some sort of replacement, and....

Oh. :)
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,520
    Tikay10 said:

Type your comment

Itsover4u said:

Tikay10 said:

Loved the Steve Robinson story @Essexphil.

My other early memory of boxing was Henry Cooper, who used to often serve in the greengrocers shops he had with his brother in Wembley High St.

I remember clearly his Wembley fight against Cassius Clay, as I think he was known then.

@Tikay10 Henry as you may remember knocked down Ali with Henry's Hammer... Ali was all but gone and the bell saved him.

Ali's trainer Angelo Dundee saw the state he was in then tore Ali's glove so there was a delay to the start of he next round by more than 5 minutes.... the rest is history

Zero chance of getting away with that in this day and age, but ultimately robbed cooper of a huge win
    Well I was not & am still not a boxing expert, but at the time I was convinced Henry would & should have won that bout.

Still, it all worked out pretty well for Henry in the end, he earned a fortune from endorsing products & personal appearances, won SPOTY twice & got Knighted, & I imagine he died a very wealthy man indeed.
    He was a fascinating man.

Held traditionalist views, but co-founded the Anti-Nazi League.

Sadly, not as wealthy as he could/should have been, as was a Lloyds "name" at the wrong time.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,273

Ahh yes, I clean forgot he got caught up in the Lloyds debacle.
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,047
    Itsover4u said:

Joe Calzaghe is the best Britain has produced in my opinion he beat greats across different era's Eubank, Collins, roy jones jr, bernard Hopkins, mikel kessler and of course retired unbeaten.

On top of that he went out on his own terms and left the game unbeaten with a 46-0 record.

Also officially listed in the the all time top 25 one spot below mike Tyson

Another Top Welshman.

I don't have a clue why he wasn't included on this list, or how you could not include an unbeaten world champion.
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,047
    When I was a youngster, I lived behind Brian Curvis.
    I often saw in his garden looking battered after a fight.
    He was much keener on being a rugby player than a boxer.
    He is probably most famous for going 15 rounds with the great Emile Griffiths.
    Griffiths knocked him down 3 times, and won on points.