You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Names on shirts...sense or sacrilege?

Comments

• Options
    gpc70gpc70 Member Posts: 1,997
    bit of both matt 4 those who go live once in a while it will help them work out the aussie fielder whose just dropped a dolly 4 the eggand bacon boys sacrilege
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,194

Sacrilege. Why mess with the purest & best form of cricket?

I'm OK with the "cap number" on their shirts, as it's nice & discrete, but those "football" numbers are so crass.

They'll be playing cricket in coloured pyjamas next, or with a white ball, or a 100 ball format with 10 balls per over.

Leave the game alone.

Utterly ridic.

Yours in disgust,

Tunbridge Wells
  • Options
    pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    Absolute sacrilege. Good god what are they thinking.
    Ok, I guess for the casual follower who doesn’t know your Joe Root from your Jos Butler, it will help you identify who is who. I don’t like it, but hey I am a traditionalist at heart.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,261
    edited March 2019
    SACRILEGE but then again at the risk of upsetting the p.c. brigade so is having female commentators pundits and analysts.
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118

SACRILEGE but then again at the risk of upsetting the p.c. brigade so is having female commentators pundits and analysts.

What is your issue with female commentators?
  • Options
    MattBates said:

What is your issue with female commentators?
    Ok I dont mind female reporters such as Sky and BT use and I find that the female pundits that both stations employ are knowledgeable and do as good a job as any male. BUT and heres the rub I just find it personally wrong that we now have female commentators in football, international rugby union, international cricket and golf.

Much of the time the commentaries are shrill, badly communicated and over excited. If you dont believe me listen to BBC's Jackie Oakley commentating on football and tell me you dont have to turn it off.

Like I said I think Michelle Owen, Faye Carruthers and Bianca Westwood do a cracking match report for Sky and the ex England Ladies Smith and Scott likewise in the studio I just dont like a female commentator for certain sports.

Like Netball Superleagues gonna have a male commentator any time soon.

Mark
  • Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462

I just find it personally wrong that we now have female commentators in football, international rugby union, international cricket and golf.

Much of the time the commentaries are shrill, badly communicated and over excited. If you dont believe me listen to BBC's Jackie Oakley commentating on football and tell me you dont have to turn it off.

Pretty sure there's been a thread on here about female commentators before, like a year or two back.

Nothing wrong with female commentators as long as they're good at the job. Yeah, the first time you hear a woman commentating on a particular sport can come as a bit of a surprise as you're unfamiliar with it, but it doesn't take long to get used to it if you don't become fixated on the fact they're female and the commentator is at least decent at their job.

Cricket, to me, is a strange selection for a sport you consider 'wrong' to have female commentators given how much the women's game has grown over the last 10 years and how Sky will gladly keep Botham & Knight around when they're consistently dire. It's pretty difficult for anyone to come in and be worse than Nick Knight!

Furthermore, with cricket's commentary stints it's much easier to fit a woman into the commentary rotation of 6-8 people. Even if a chunk of viewers don't like her, she's only there for 30 minutes. If ever there was a sport that's both ready for female commentators and suited for that change, I would suggest it's cricket.

From what I remember in one of the betting threads a while back, you're a baseball fan - Thoughts on Jessica Mendoza on commentary? She can't be too bad if she's getting postseason games.

I just dont like a female commentator for certain sports.

It just seems 'wrong' to people because only having male sports commentators are what people have become accustomed to over the last few decades.

I'll agree that Jacqui Oakley is awful though.

Like Netball Superleagues gonna have a male commentator any time soon

Probs not, but I've seen far more women playing pretty much male-dominated sport you can think of than I have seen men playing Netball in my lifetime.

You said International Rugby Union having a female commentator is wrong, yet there's an England Women's team and Rugby Sevens is an Olympic sport.

Meanwhile, England don't have a men's netball team and one of the biggest barriers to netball in the Olympics at present is a lack of gender equality, which the England Netball chief and their head coach have openly stated no desire to change.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/netball/43821824

There's pretty much no male audience to appeal to, and even if there was, Netball's governing body has no interest in supporting them, so why bother with male commentators?
  • Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    Re: OP - Sense. Makes a lot of sense for fans at the ground to be able to identify fielders, and fans can now buy and wear a chosen player's test shirt which can only help bring £££ into the game.

Judging by all the 'sacrilege' responses in this thread, I'm probably going to upset people by also being in favour of playing a 4 day test this summer vs Ireland. :D
  • Options
    Jessica Mendoza wasn't really calling the plays, she was more a Carragher / Neville type bringing a fresh perspective between innings etc and shes very good at what she does and as I've stated I actually enjoy a female voice doing that sort of thing.

Mind you the two ladies who do a similar sideline thing in the NFL are awful, mainly due to a glaring lack of knowledge about the game. Can't remember if its CBS or Fox they work for. (Think ones called Pam Shraver ?)

The ladies on T.M.S. are VERY good and don't detract from my enjoyment maybe because they have to commentate in a different way because as a radio listener you don't have a visual reference but on t.v. think they're mundane, obvious and I just don't enjoy it.

Yes Englands' Roses are freaking awesome and as somebody for whom rugby is almost a religion that's brilliant, and when I held my R.F.U. coaching licenses I did plenty of work with womens teams in the Midlands. However and this is purely a personal thing, I don't want my rugby commentated on by a female.

Hopefully it'll be years before they are allowed near a Moto GP or World Superbike microphone, that really would be the final straw!.

I realise that the worlds changing and that attitudes are supposed to change with it but change for its own sake or to fill a quota isn't always for the best.

Maybe one day Doris Golightly will commentate on the F.A. Cup Final whilst Myrtle and Eadie add their punditry skills, whilst Dave (the token male) will do the touchline reports.
    Then three Knightsbridge Debs, Henrietta, Harriet and Hortense will bring you uninterrupted commentary on the Rugby World Cup although the Rugby League World Cup will be described by Shaz, Kaz and Maz, three grizzled Northern ladies.
    Laura and Charley will do the Ryder cup whilst cricket is brought to you by Rose, Raz and Bev.

The only saving grace is that at 55 now I probably wont be around to enjoy, sorry I meant endure it.

Mark
  • Options

@TheEdge949

"Hopefully it'll be years before they are allowed near a Moto GP or World Superbike microphone, that really would be the final straw!."

Look away now.

• Options

Have to say, I agree as to the female cricket commentators - they really are very good imo.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    For balance, though, nobody can possibly be more ill-suited to their role than Sarah Shriek on Sky Sports Golf.

Presenting a Golf show wearing a frumpy dress & high heels & just saying inane & bland stuff is never gonna cut it for me.

It's even more galling when Sky Sports have this extraordinary talented young lady on their books, who is excellent in every possible way;

• Options
    Tikay10 said:

@TheEdge949

"Hopefully it'll be years before they are allowed near a Moto GP or World Superbike microphone, that really would be the final straw!."

Look away now.

No Suzy Perry's great, been around for years. Doesn't commentate but is an excellent presenter and a real biker.
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    Really struggling to get my head round your views.
  • Options
    Currently working for BT Sports presenting their excellent Moto GP package with Neil Hodgson one of the Lavertey clan and Colin Edwards.

Started out at the BBC years ago probably in an attempt to grab viewers as she was a very good looking lady who knew one end of a motorbike from another.
  • Options
    MattBates said:

Nothing really to grasp Matt. Its just a personal thing.

Some people prefer full fat to semi skimmed, beer to lager and redheads to blondes. I prefer male commentators to female but I'm not on a drive to convince anyone else.

I was asked what my issue was with female commentators and I've tried to address that question honestly.

Mark
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    MattBates said:

Just pretend its still 1981, and that women belong in the kitchen, then you'll maybe start to digest his views.
  • Options

I don't think comments like this upset the ''p.c brigade'', whatever that means.

All you do is out yourself as a sexist pig, well done you.
  • Options
    dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2019

I don't think comments like this upset the ''p.c brigade'', whatever that means.

Making up for lost time with your trolling . Uncalled for and how you get away with insults like this time after time is gobsmacking ...guess you have to be in with the moderator eh ? ......If rainman had said this he would have been insta banned .
    The edge has already explained it's a personal preference and he wasn't trying to convert anyone to his way of thinking
  • Options

Making up for lost time with your trolling . Uncalled for and how you get away with insults like this time after time is gobsmacking ...guess you have to be in with the moderator eh ? ......If rainman had said this he would have been insta banned .
    I've been on holiday again and just catching up ;) Barbados this time, it was lovely. Rainman wouldn't like it though.

Surprised a 72 year old woman like yourself would disagree that such comments were sexist.

Truly bizarre that someone would commit those ridiculously outdated views onto a forum. If someone is essentially saying they don't want women in certain areas of sport, it's only correct they are pulled up for such remarks.