You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The Pet Hates Thread

waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,021
edited May 2019 in The Rail
Just got back from work and I have only just calmed down after an incident with a clueless driver. The kind of driver who is in the wrong lane, is about to cut you off, then beeps his horn and gives you the finger as he is adamant that you're the one in the wrong. Massive pet hate of mine.

It got me thinking of other pet hates of mine for the rest of the journey home. Here are a couple in no particular order:

Facebook - I hate facebook, it annoys the **** out of me, so much so that I closed my account and have vowed never to venture on there again. You get couples who live in the same house arguing on facebook for all to see instead of just arguing face to face, the good old way.
Every Christmas day, without fail, there are people taking photos of their Christmas dinner and posting it on facebook. You're having Turkey with all the trimmings?? No way! So are we!!.....and quite frankly yours looks absolutely awful.
Then there are the "friend" requests from people who you can walk past in the street without either of you muttering a word to each other, but you feel you have to accept the request because it's the done thing. Facebook, do one!

Valentines Day - I don't have to buy my missus flowers and a card just to make sure she knows I love her. I tell her I enjoy her meals and always thank her when she fetches me a beer from the fridge, so if she doesn't know that I lover her by now then she never will.

People who type "ty" in the chatbox after winning a big pot, even though nobody said NH - classy!

I have many many more but don't want to sound too miserable just yet.

Feel free to add your own, we are Brits and we love a good moan after all.

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,143
    edited May 2019
    Great thread idea, well done.

100% agree as to Facebook, too. I closed my Facebook account 7 or 8 years ago & it proved to be a terrific decision, it's such a time sponge & has very little by way of upside.
  • Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,052
    People
  • Options

Footballers trying to get other players booked by showing an imaginery card. A complete lack of class.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    My teenage girls, who instead of putting their rubbish in our bin, leave it on the floor IN FRONT of the bin. You've done the hard bit by walking to the bin ffs.
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    My neighbours dog - it barks too much.

My ex-girlfriends cat. It got far more attention than I ever did.

Any bird kept in a cage...

Oh, hang on, am I taking this thread to literally?

• Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,539
    People that have Threads nobody posts on & wont give them up.
  • Options
    Mini Ukops
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,257
    The way Sky and BT think everybody gives a rats **** about the "BIG CLUBS"
  • Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    edited May 2019
    Could post tons of things on here so I'll cut it down a little.

The way Sky and BT think everybody gives a rats **** about the "BIG CLUBS"

I have a similar (but slightly different one) for televised sport. I don't get why games like Liverpool v Huddersfield, or Barcelona vs Rayo Vallecano are shown when they're one-sided contests with one team a massive favourite.

I get that the bigger teams have larger fan bases, and some people will just tune in to see City playing attractive football. But there's just as many people not wasting 2 hours of their life watching games where City are 1/16 to win.

However, I would rather watch a game that is actually close on paper, even if the quality of players is lower, rather than a predictable 5-0 thumping that only tells us that Messi is still quite good at football.

---

Others:

1) Pedestrians that step out in front of cyclists. I don't have an engine but it'll still **** hurt (for both of us) if I run you over.

2) People suddenly becoming 10x more inconsiderate than normal when they're in a supermarket.

3) People not looking where they're going in public because they're too busy staring at their phone.

4) Sports viewers are treated like morons because the commentators so often try to appeal to the lowest common denominator with meaningless clichés which people seem to lap up and regurgitate as their 'sports knowledge'. A few of those are:

- I don't care how Athlete X is motivated to play better this season, or that they're frustrated with being on the bench lately. They're professional athletes FFS. Both of those things are absolutely 100% standard.

- I don't want to hear that a 2-0 lead is the worst lead because might make the leading team complacent, when clearly leading by two goals is better than leading by one. I'll take this one seriously when teams start tactically scoring own goals to avoid complacency or cause their opponents to become complacent.

- "This Quarterback has a big arm" - Duh, he's an NFL Quarterback. You don't need to tell me this just because he's thrown the ball 30 yards downfield. The quarterback 'having a big arm' is a relevant piece of information a handful of times in an NFL season at most, when a team subs in a backup QB to throw a hail mary into the endzone at the end of a half because they have an extra couple of yards on their deep ball. It's definitely not relevant or meaningful every single time that a quarterback throws a ball more than 20 yards past the line of scrimmage.

Give me colour commentators that actually explain stuff in detail. Tell me why a cricket captain has moved a fielder from Mid On to Midwicket. Bonus points if this explanation includes something that isn't obvious to the viewer, such as the pace/bounce of the pitch, or how a batsman preferring to hit the ball to a particular are of the ground means the ball is more likely to go in the air to a certain fielding position when the shot is mistimed.
  • Options
    Awkward greetings with people who you barely know. For instance there is a guy I used to bump into at work, not very often, around once a month. I knew him well enough to say Hi to, that is all.

When you bump into these people you say "Hi, how you doing?" There is an unwritten rule that states your only reply should be "Not bad thanks, you?" Even if you're ill or having a bad day. These people aren't your friends, just say Hi and get on with the rest of your day. This guy replies "Not good at all, my wife has left me."

What followed was one of the most awkward conversations I have ever had. Save that stuff for your friends, that's what they are there for. Not some guy you bump into now and again at work.
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,539
    I have a Pet don't hate him Love him .... he'll Love you back.
  • Options
    waller02 said:

Awkward greetings with people who you barely know. For instance there is a guy I used to bump into at work, not very often, around once a month. I knew him well enough to say Hi to, that is all.

When you bump into these people you say "Hi, how you doing?" There is an unwritten rule that states your only reply should be "Not bad thanks, you?" Even if you're ill or having a bad day. These people aren't your friends, just say Hi and get on with the rest of your day. This guy replies "Not good at all, my wife has left me."

What followed was one of the most awkward conversations I have ever had. Save that stuff for your friends, that's what they are there for. Not some guy you bump into now and again at work.

For those that have yet to play "Live" poker, never never EVER say "Hi, how you doing?"

It's a standard & perfectly agreeable social convention to open up in that manner, but don't ever do it in a Live poker environment, as you will regret it when an endless bad beat story - complete with all actions on every street, & usually ending with "& guess what he called me with?".......

By now, your ears are bleeding.

There's a standard form of body language we all use too. Little physical signals indicate "I gotta go now, catch ya later", but Mr Bad Beat seems blind to them & just drones on.....
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Tikay10 said:

waller02 said:

For those that have yet to play "Live" poker, never never EVER say "Hi, how you doing?"

It's a standard & perfectly agreeable social convention to open up in that manner, but don't ever do it in a Live poker environment, as you will regret it when an endless bad beat story - complete with all actions on every street, & usually ending with "& guess what he called me with?".......

There's a standard form of body language we all use too. Little physical signals indicate "I gotta go now, catch ya later", but Mr Bad Beat seems blind to them & just drones on.....
    Haha. I still haven't played live but I'll bear that in mind. I guess you just have to try and stay polite and pretend you're interested.

I would LOVE a National Speak Your Mind day, would be very interesting......

Look mate, we all get bad beats, yours isn't even that bad, please stop talking.

Look mate I barely know you, it's unfortunate that you and your wife have parted ways but I've got problems of my own and couldn't care less.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,651
    Unreliability, being reliable doesn't exist in some
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    Tikay10 said:

waller02 said:

The classic you will never guess....well actually I can have a good guess because I know this story doesn't end with you winning the pot!

Regarding bumping into people you don't know well. Generic response is fine, comment about the weather is fine. Actually telling someone personal stuff is not!
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    waller02 said:

Just got back from work and I have only just calmed down after an incident with a clueless driver. The kind of driver who is in the wrong lane, is about to cut you off, then beeps his horn and gives you the finger as he is adamant that you're the one in the wrong. Massive pet hate of mine.

It got me thinking of other pet hates of mine for the rest of the journey home. Here are a couple in no particular order:

Facebook - I hate facebook, it annoys the **** out of me, so much so that I closed my account and have vowed never to venture on there again. You get couples who live in the same house arguing on facebook for all to see instead of just arguing face to face, the good old way.
    Every Christmas day, without fail, there are people taking photos of their Christmas dinner and posting it on facebook. You're having Turkey with all the trimmings?? No way! So are we!!.....and quite frankly yours looks absolutely awful.
    Then there are the "friend" requests from people who you can walk past in the street without either of you muttering a word to each other, but you feel you have to accept the request because it's the done thing. Facebook, do one!

Valentines Day - I don't have to buy my missus flowers and a card just to make sure she knows I love her. I tell her I enjoy her meals and always thank her when she fetches me a beer from the fridge, so if she doesn't know that I lover her by now then she never will.

People who type "ty" in the chatbox after winning a big pot, even though nobody said NH - classy!

Or people that get upset when you don't say ul in chat. Unless its like a sick 1 outer or something then it happens all the time, it is standard just get on with it!
  • Options
    MattBates said:

waller02 said:

Or people that get upset when you don't say ul in chat. Unless its like a sick 1 outer or something then it happens all the time, it is standard just get on with it!
    There should definitely be some "I got Batesed" merchandise available though. A t-shirt, cap or something.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,257
    edited May 2019
    Competitions which pander to the incurably stupid with answers a two year old could get like name the odd one out. Cat, Dog, Nuclear Reactor.

Reality TV including celebrities who are famous for fk all other than being some orange skinned ,bleached toothed bimbo with the IQ of a lobotomised amoeba.

People who say sorry after calling with trash and then runner runner owning you. If youre that sorry give the fkn chips back.

White middle class types who get morally outraged on behalf of some percieved minority or another. Get a life, if someones **** off about something they can get upset on their own behalf.

Swear filters which take all the fun out of a thread like this one lol.

• Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462

Competitions which pander to the incurably stupid with answers a two year old could get like name the odd one out. Cat, Dog, Nuclear Reactor.

It's clearly Dog because it's the only one without the letters C, A or T in it.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Selfies - Don't have an issue with selfies in general, we all take them. What I can't bear are lasses who rather than smiling decide they look better if they pout. My 16 year old daughter is a big culprit here, she looks so beautiful when she smiles, yet for whatever reason she'd rather take selfies looking like a constipated duck. Just smile!

Before anybody tries to play the sexist card, I also can't stand the selfies of lads, who again, rather than smile, decide to take selfies whilst trying to look like a hardman. This is often accompanied by a raised middle finger to compliment the look. It's not a good look mate, you look like a bell end. Just smile!