You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

MENTAL HEALTH AWARENESS WEEK

Comments

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,021
    Bipolar has the advantage of not having quite the same connotations as "depression" or "mental problems".

Your attitude is commonly held by people of a certain age. It isn't "wrong", but times have (thankfully) moved on. Younger people tend to find it offensive.

I wouldn't want you to get the same abuse you and others gave to @HAYSIE about a comment made in jest about politicians that some people took the wrong way, so I will assume (like him) you were trying to be funny.

Please don't derail this thread in relation to one comment, anyone.
  • Options
    dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    waller02 said:

Tell you all what I think , it's very easy for people to label themselves ....even easier for people to want to .
    Go back a few decades , it would be viewed as an excuse for people to act inappropriately .
    There are obv people who have genuine problems , that is without doubt and they need help , and that mental health care is purely lacking .
    But the popularity of developing " bi poplar ", is a little un pallatable for me ...I don't make any any apologies for upsetting people , this is my genuine viewpoint .
    Society is such at the moment that "we " seem to need to need to find reasons to excuse our behaviour .

I think you are way off here.

The only reason it has become more common to come across people who are bi-polar, depressed or suffering with anxiety is because it has only really been the past few years that mental health awareness has improved. People who were afraid to speak out before because they felt they would be mocked or misunderstood (by people like you) now have the courage to seek help, which is great.

I suffered in silence for 3 years about 10 years ago, spent most of my time in bed, never left the house and missed out on my kids growing up. Speaking out and getting help was the best thing I ever did, just glad I didn't come across anybody with your view on matters or I might have gone right back to square one.
    And do you genuinely think it's helpful to label people ?
  • Options
    day4eire76day4eire76 Member Posts: 912
    waller02 said:

Tell you all what I think , it's very easy for people to label themselves ....even easier for people to want to .
    Go back a few decades , it would be viewed as an excuse for people to act inappropriately .
    There are obv people who have genuine problems , that is without doubt and they need help , and that mental health care is purely lacking .
    But the popularity of developing " bi poplar ", is a little un pallatable for me ...I don't make any any apologies for upsetting people , this is my genuine viewpoint .
    Society is such at the moment that "we " seem to need to need to find reasons to excuse our behaviour .

The only reason it has become more common to come across people who are bi-polar, depressed or suffering with anxiety is because it has only really been the past few years that mental health awareness has improved. People who were afraid to speak out before because they felt they would be mocked or misunderstood (by people like you) now have the courage to seek help, which is great.

I suffered in silence for 3 years about 10 years ago, spent most of my time in bed, never left the house and missed out on my kids growing up. Speaking out and getting help was the best thing I ever did, just glad I didn't come across anybody with your view on matters or I might have gone right back to square one.
    Great post and sums it up perfectly

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,581

Tikay10 said:

Whoa, let's not be suggesting our adversies are bipolar or in any other way unwell.

No more of that please.

Why , cos he's a mate of yours ?
    It's completely improper, that's why.

No more please.
  • Options
    d
    Essexphil said:

Bipolar has the advantage of not having quite the same connotations as "depression" or "mental problems".

Your attitude is commonly held by people of a certain age. It isn't "wrong", but times have (thankfully) moved on. Younger people tend to find it offensive.

I wouldn't want you to get the same abuse you and others gave to @HAYSIE about a comment made in jest about politicians that some people took the wrong way, so I will assume (like him) you were trying to be funny.

Please don't derail this thread in relation to one comment, anyone.

You are way off with this , nothing at all to do with my age ...more due to experience, which I wouldn't give it a second thought to elaborate on an internet forum .
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,015

waller02 said:

It's not a label, it's an illness. Just the same as somebody who has MS, Dementia etc... all illnesses, not labels.

I don't understand what you mean to be honest.
  • Options
    SnufferSnuffer Member Posts: 3,057
    StayOrGo said:

Hey guys, lets not turn this thread into a slanging match, whether or not we agree with people's opinions we have to allow them to have their own view, doesn't mean we have to agree with it.

From my perspective, I take responsibility for all my actions as I don't feel I am un-well enough to not be responsible for them. So I never blame any of my poor actions on my condition.

I agree about labels, I won't say for example "I am Bi-Polar" because then my condition defines me, however it is a fact that I have been medically diagnosed with the condition by several experts.

I appreciate that this can be an emotive subject particularly by those that are affected either themselves or have family and friends that are affected.

Anyhow lets respect all views and not turn this thread into something negative.

Cheers,

Graham

Apologies Graham If I maybe derailed this thread but my wife and I have had to deal with something similar with our son for many years and it can be quite upsetting when someone posts flippant comments like that.

Well done on this thread, its good to talk about theses things.
  • Options
    waller02 said:

waller02 said:

It's not a label, it's an illness. Just the same as somebody who has MS, Dementia etc... all illnesses, not labels.

I don't understand what you mean to be honest.
    It absolutely is a label .
    And unfortunately it's a label that some people people exploit to their advantage , negating the help that people who are really in need deserve .
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Thread temporarily closed.

When it re-opens, let's consider our words more carefully please.

It's Mental Health Awareness Week for a reason. Let's remember that.

Thread will re-open as soon as I've dealt with a few matters & replied to all the PM's.
  • Options

Thread re-opened.

It's absolutely fine to debate whether people in general may or may not be disingenuous in saying they are unwell or suffering mental health issues.

However, those who have posted as such on this & other threads must be taken at face value, it's very dangerous & very wrong to suggest otherwise, none of us are medically qualified to say such things.

And it's certainly not fine to suggest an adversary is mentally unwell simply because we disagree with their political views.

It's a really important topic, & we must allow it to be debated, so let's treat it as such please, & choose our words with some care.

Thank you.
  • Options
    MAXALLY said:

Surprising that there has been no replies to this. Politics and other stuff seem to have the most traffic on here. Real issues seem not to matter to some still.

Respect for being strong enough to post this Graham, I know it wasnt an easy thing to do. Like I have already said to you, always here if you need anything/chat to someone.

There have been a few replies now Alan........
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Tikay10 said:

Thread re-opened.

It's absolutely fine to debate whether people in general may or may not be disingenuous in saying they are unwell or suffering mental health issues.

However, those who have posted as such on this & other threads must be taken at face value, it's very dangerous & very wrong to suggest otherwise, none of us are medically qualified to say such things.

And it's certainly not fine to suggest an adversary is mentally unwell simply because we disagree with their political views.

It's a really important topic, & we must allow it to be debated, so let's treat it as such please, & choose our words with some care.

Thank you.

Absolutely nothing to do with my " adversary " even though he has said many things about me , which have gone unnoticed/undealt with ....I genuinely think that that a lot of people these days use different mental health terms as an " excuse " to behave how they wish .
    There is no chance of verifying the validity of their claims online and their never will be , so you take what people say and make your own opinions .
    People who genuinely suffer from mental health problems have been very badly let down by a succession of governments over the years , and I am all for campaigning for change with that .
  • Options
    pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    I think anyone who is brave enough to admit they are struggling, with any sort of problem, should be applauded. I believe more open and honest dialogue between people can help improve understanding and provide a helpful light, on what can often be a dark and horrific situation for some.
  • Options
    StayOrGoStayOrGo Member Posts: 12,129
    pompeynic said:

I think anyone who is brave enough to admit they are struggling, with any sort of problem, should be applauded. I believe more open and honest dialogue between people can help improve understanding and provide a helpful light, on what can often be a dark and horrific situation for some.

Thanks for the positive feedback @pompeynic much appreciated.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,198
    edited May 2019
    I don't know enough about this to make a useful contribution.

My Mother experienced some mental health issues, while I was growing up, but I was too young to appreciate what was going on.

Although I do remember that some of the treatment she was given, was quite brutal.

I know that mental health has been neglected by successive Governments, and affected by local authority cuts.

I also know that it must have taken great courage for those of you that have spoken out about how they have been affected by this issue.

Hats off to you all.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,186
    I absolutely have total respect for anybody who can speak out about any form of mental illness.

Mine was never classified but to have no self worth no self respect and a loathing of ones very being was hard to communicate. And, I had a very loving and supportive family around me. My heart breaks for those with nobody to cry out to, tbh I'm breaking down as I type this.

I know that before I found God I prayed nightly that I wouldnt wake up and that I'd die in my sleep and find release and when this didnt happen I took it that God either didnt exist or didnt care.

Towards the real dark times came the persistant thoughts which run through your head, mocking and taunting, "Youre Worthless" "Youre Shiit" "Kill Yourself nobody gives a dam".

Those of us who've made it through are blessed and lucky. Many don't.

Yours

Mark
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Hi Mark.

I commend you for your complete openness and honesty. To talk about both suicidal thoughts and God on a forum like this takes much courage as I am sure there are "non believers" that may scoff at your comments.

I am a Buddhist and we believe in Enlightenment rather than a God. However I was raised with Christian Values and I don't see Enlightenment and the principle of God as being much different. With the exception that I don't think God has a name or form or that God is separate from us.

I believe that God is omnipresent in our daily existence.

So what if people scoff at this. I am so pleased for you that you found a belief in something greater than yourself, that helps you.

You were put on this Earth for a reason. As I said before you speak openly from the heart and I have much respect for anyone that does that.

Poker players may feel that they have to have a "tough image", and this is fine if it gives them an advantage at the table.

However who is the braver/stronger person, the one that lays themselves bare to be shot at or those that do the shooting?

I will PM you my email address and if you wish to keep in touch, please do.

You are a brave brave man to face what you've faced, come out the other side an be prepared to share your experience on a forum like this in the hope that it may help others.

Nothing but complete respect for you!

Graham.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    HAYSIE said:

I don't know enough about this to make a useful contribution.

My Mother experienced some mental health issues, while I was growing up, but I was too young to appreciate what was going on.

Although I do remember that some of the treatment she was given, was quite brutal.

I know that mental health has been neglected by successive Governments, and affected by local authority cuts.

I also know that it must have taken great courage for those of you that have spoken out about how they have been affected by this issue.

Hats off to you all.

Many thanks for your openness, honesty and support @HAYSIE to be truly honest without fear of potentially negative feedback. Also not rising to the bait of retaliation shows such strength of character and nobility. You are a thoroughly decent person. VWP sir!
  • Options
    oynutteroynutter Member Posts: 4,772
    edited May 2019
    Most people have, or have had some kind of mental illness. It does take courage to admit to it, and often, more courage to deal with it. Unfortunately, most people leave it undiagnosed, or deny it exists. There is help out there nowdays, but very often, because of the stigma attatched to it, people fail to make use of that help. There are also many people that consider academic psychiatry to be fundamentally flawed, are they nutters or not? The reasons why people fail to seek help seems to be the most urgent subject that society needs to address, in my nutcase of an opinion.