You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Is this a bad beat or did I butcher the hand?

mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,373
I've played this passively because I expect this player to hang himself.

Should I be raising earlier?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
jtmSmall blind£0.02£0.02£5.10
RemainerBig blind£0.04£0.06£3.96
Your hole cards
  • J
  • J
RNG SWITCHED ONRaise£0.12£0.18£11.17
mumsieCall£0.12£0.30£6.91
jtmFold
RemainerCall£0.08£0.38£3.88
Flop
  • J
RemainerCheck
RNG SWITCHED ONBet£0.19£0.57£10.98
mumsieCall£0.19£0.76£6.72
RemainerFold
Turn
  • A
RNG SWITCHED ONBet£0.38£1.14£10.60
mumsieCall£0.38£1.52£6.34
River
  • A
RNG SWITCHED ONBet£0.76£2.28£9.84
mumsieRaise£3.04£5.32£3.30
RNG SWITCHED ONRaise£4.56£9.88£5.28
mumsieCall£2.28£12.16£1.02
RNG SWITCHED ONShow
  • A
mumsieMuck
  • J
  • J
RNG SWITCHED ONWinFull House, Aces and 5s£11.24£16.52

Comments

• Options
    MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 724
    edited July 2019
    Looks like you played it perfectly to me.

You can make an argument for raising flop but I think flatting is better given that most of our range (pocket pairs, suited broadways, some suited Ax and maybe KQo) will be proceeding as calls or folds in this spot when we have flatted an EP open, they have c-bet into two players on the flop and there is still a player to act behind us.

Raising on the A turn wouldn't make much sense either - we don't have a clear range advantage on that flop and the turn improves his AK/AQ that decided to c-bet rather than check-call, pocket aces (which we don't have) improve to top set as well so I don't think we get to be raising this turn very often from a game theory point of view. From an exploitative point of view (given the reads you have on player as well) it is probably still best to just allow him to continue firing his low equity and no equity bluffs - if he's a loose cannon like you say he may still have some K highs and Q highs with no club. We risk losing a little bit of value potentially when he has hit the ace with a hand like AK/AQ or now has aces up with some suited wheel aces and we do risk a club peeling off on the river and either killing the action or giving him the best hand as well but I think flatting is superior.

The only river we don't want to see is a club. We get to get all the chips in on any non club river and feel pretty good about it as played. If the river is a non club and he now decides to turn some of his Ax into bluff catchers by check-calling rather than barrelling river then we have a great spot to use a very large polarising river bet to represent two pair+ or some of those KcQx or KxQc missed draws putting some of his Ax (that may have bet-folded vs aggressive turn action) in a tough spot.

(The actual runout as played is great because it makes pocket Aces even more unlikely and we now take the lead vs (relatively unlikely) flopped flushes so obviously just a ridiculous cooler at that point)
  • Options
    misterpjmisterpj Member Posts: 3,204
    Happy 2 help, pocket JJ insta snap fold,all day long,twice on a Sunday,for misterpj,Myna my special player,too slay Bates, X
  • Options
    misterpjmisterpj Member Posts: 3,204
    Hiatus,sabatical, is boring X
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,373
    Thanks for the in-depth quality reply @MynaFrett a true gentleman.

Cheers PJ, always entertaining.
  • Options
    RemainerRemainer Member Posts: 23
    I'd probably raise flop hoping to get it in on the flop vs worse hands or that they call my raise with a club.
    As played I cant get all the money in quick enough on that river. Acx will be a big part of his range as will be flushes.
    Cooler.