You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Rare hand but did i play it right?

DazlerDazler Member Posts: 3,970
edited July 2019 in The Poker Clinic
Had this rare hand, could I have won it if I bet heavier or differently or would the outcome been the same no matter how I played it. Or was I taking too much of a risk with AJ or KJ type hands possible? should I have shoved the turn with the flush draw?. I figured I was up against either pk pairs of some sort or Rag As after my reraise on the turn and felt my river raise felt a bit odd to me but it was more of a control bet to stop any one bluffing me off the hand if they had nothing and If they did have the J they would reshove on me. I think looking on it I should of just shoved pre.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
PIPERTUNESmall blind50.0050.005662.50
Phant0mElfBig blind100.00150.003850.00
Your hole cards
  • K
  • A
cjyFold
02dan02Fold
iberfopticFold
DazlerRaise400.00550.003570.00
PIPERTUNECall350.00900.005312.50
Phant0mElfCall300.001200.003550.00
Flop
  • J
  • J
  • A
PIPERTUNECheck
Phant0mElfBet300.001500.003250.00
DazlerCall300.001800.003270.00
PIPERTUNECall300.002100.005012.50
Turn
PIPERTUNECheck
Phant0mElfBet300.002400.002950.00
DazlerRaise700.003100.002570.00
PIPERTUNECall700.003800.004312.50
Phant0mElfCall400.004200.002550.00
River
PIPERTUNECheck
Phant0mElfCheck
DazlerBet500.004700.002070.00
PIPERTUNECall500.005200.003812.50
Phant0mElfCall500.005700.002050.00
DazlerShow
  • K
  • A
PIPERTUNEShow
  • A
  • K
Phant0mElfShow
  • A
  • K
PIPERTUNEWinTwo Pairs, Aces and Jacks1900.005712.50
Phant0mElfWinTwo Pairs, Aces and Jacks1900.003950.00
DazlerWinTwo Pairs, Aces and Jacks1900.003970.00

Comments

• Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    Why would you open shove 35bb pre?

Think flop play is fine but don't agree with any of the other streets.

Think about all the hands they're going to have in that spot and try to forget what they actually had :)
  • Options
    Summers119Summers119 Member Posts: 193
    Hi Dazler,

Defo up the there with one of the stranger hands ive seen haha.

Preflop you want to raise between 2-2.5x the big blind as you need to balance the raise sizes with all your hands so you can't get exploited. Also if you 2x get 3bet then you can easily shove preflop as played, when you 4x it looks very strong and narrows your range.

Flop facing the lead I like the call.

Turn is the tricky street, when people continue betting for the same small size on the flop it looks like a weaker ace not a jack, however, the guy behind could be slow playing especially if we have an ace and we think the betting leader has an ace (only 1 ace left, 2 jacks), therefore, id probably call once again and if the guy behind raises small call and if he shoves fold.

River is fine, but for the reasons stated above, I may check decide instead of leading small especially when your AK raise gets called twice, its hard to think we are ahead of both ranges often enough to justify getting value, however, ive seen some crazy things in my time so maybe small lead is good.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Hi Dazler,

Defo up the there with one of the stranger hands ive seen haha.

Preflop you want to raise between 2-2.5x the big blind as you need to balance the raise sizes with all your hands so you can't get exploited. Also if you 2x get 3bet then you can easily shove preflop as played, when you 4x it looks very strong and narrows your range.

Flop facing the lead I like the call.

Turn is the tricky street, when people continue betting for the same small size on the flop it looks like a weaker ace not a jack, however, the guy behind could be slow playing especially if we have an ace and we think the betting leader has an ace (only 1 ace left, 2 jacks), therefore, id probably call once again and if the guy behind raises small call and if he shoves fold.

River is fine, but for the reasons stated above, I may check decide instead of leading small especially when your AK raise gets called twice, its hard to think we are ahead of both ranges often enough to justify getting value, however, ive seen some crazy things in my time so maybe small lead is good.

Agree with your pre flop advice. I think with my turn reraise i wanted to gauge where i was and see if they had a J as they would most likeley reshove not wanting someone to hit the flush. Especialy as i had the flush draw myself, probably should of just flat called this again as if I hit the flush on the river then I wouldnt care if they did have the J. If no flush comes then my riverbet stops bluffs or rags shoving making harder decision for me to call the river and if they reshove the 500 raise on river with a J i could still fold. Didnt want to check the river as was in mid position and last player might then think he was ahead with his A and bet heavy putting me in a hard spot to call.

• Options

Why would you open shove 35bb pre?

Think flop play is fine but don't agree with any of the other streets.

Think about all the hands they're going to have in that spot and try to forget what they actually had :)

Quick double up lol
    Yea I should of flat called the turn.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    What's the logic behind wanting to ''stop bluffs''?

Raise pre is way too big.
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    Confused by some of the logic. When you 4x pre do you think rag aces call? Is this a raise sizing specific to this table or a standard one for you? When you raise so big we fold out loads of the hands that we want to call and we reduce the chances of people three betting light.
    Think this is a check call hand down all streets. When we start raising we fold out bluffs and value hands that we beat.

• Options
    misterpjmisterpj Member Posts: 3,204
    This is sensational stuff,Angmar said it,'MATT' said, even the Dr had to 'av a word' but
  • Options
    'MATT' said it... (but?) where (is the,oh so obvious bloHard? Who,would have chimmed in, if I had said it?
  • Options
    Put ya HAND, in the air,if? U know, too whom,I refer? ' a shallow end player, but,talks it,like a multi bracelet winner
  • Options
    Matt said it,Angmar said it, ( the Dr)? Well U know,and I know! But? The MOUTHPIECE? Go on then,take on Matt