You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Golf and stuff

Comments

• Options
    ToffeeandyToffeeandy Member Posts: 906
    edited May 2023
    Jac35 said:

The PGA seems to be hotting up nicely. Brute of a course and i don’t think anyone’s really out of it. Very easy to put a big number up on a hole with just one mistake.
    I wonder what a 5 handicapper would go round in?

As a 4-handicapper I think I'd do very well to break 100 round there! Looks so tough.

Mixed couple of days, lost league game at Kingsfield by 4&3 against a guy called John Hardie who played 16 times for Scotland at rugby; he gave it a rip and had 1 of the strongest handshakes I've ever encountered! Wasn't that mad on the course, too many fairway bunkers and steep run-offs off the side of greens for my liking.

Better day today, played at the Braids in a tournament called the Dispatch Trophy and our team managed to get a win, even managed to get a photo in the Evening News report (link below); amazing the difference in how you can play from one day to the next!

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/golf/opening-day-of-123rd-dispatch-trophy-one-of-best-in-its-rich-history-4151106

• Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,478

Jac35 said:

The PGA seems to be hotting up nicely. Brute of a course and i don’t think anyone’s really out of it. Very easy to put a big number up on a hole with just one mistake.

As a 4-handicapper I think I'd do very well to break 100 round there! Looks so tough.

Mixed couple of days, lost league game at Kingsfield by 4&3 against a guy called John Hardie who played 16 times for Scotland at rugby; he gave it a rip and had 1 of the strongest handshakes I've ever encountered! Wasn't that mad on the course, too many fairway bunkers and steep run-offs off the side of greens for my liking.

Better day today, played at the Braids in a tournament called the Dispatch Trophy and our team managed to get a win, even managed to get a photo in the Evening News report (link below); amazing the difference in how you can play from one day to the next!

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/golf/opening-day-of-123rd-dispatch-trophy-one-of-best-in-its-rich-history-4151106

That’s fantastic
    Congrats on the win.

Is that Braid Hills?
  • Options
    Jac35 said:

Jac35 said:

That’s fantastic
    Congrats on the win.

Is that Braid Hills?
    Yeah, very quirky course where you have to know where to miss, and also where not to miss! Wouldn't fancy playing it with a card in my hand but for the double-foursomes format that this tournament plays the course is perfect. Playing in the last 16 on Tuesday night so will see if we can keep it going.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,817

Great stuff, well done @Toffeeandy.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    What an amazing day's golf at the PGA. Who do we fancy to win it now?

Wm Hill prices this morning are....

Koepka 11/10

Hovland 100/30

Connors 5/1

Scheffler 8/1Bryson 12/1

Rory 20/1

Rose 25/1

(1/5 odds, 1, 2, 3.)
  • Options

Jac35 said:

Jac35 said:

That’s fantastic
    Congrats on the win.

Is that Braid Hills?
    Yeah, very quirky course where you have to know where to miss, and also where not to miss! Wouldn't fancy playing it with a card in my hand but for the double-foursomes format that this tournament plays the course is perfect. Playing in the last 16 on Tuesday night so will see if we can keep it going.
    I played there about 25 years ago.
    It may well have changed a bit now but it’s my least favourite Scottish course that i’ve played.
    Although how i played that day probably dictated how i felt about it. It’s amazing how if we play badly then it’s a rubbish course ;)

Is there still a hole where there’s a double fairway? For some reason i remember i chose left and my partner chose right
  • Options
    Hinckley is a very nice course
    We were 2 under through 3 but struggled after that.
    The rough was brutal. There’s always a decent score that comes in but we were a bit shocked that it was 10 under.
    It’s an interesting one with golf. It’s self policing and you have to trust that people are honest.

It’s very easy to win a serious amount in prizes in open competitions each year if you cheat. No one can either prove or disprove it.
    Under the new handicap system I can put in 20 marked cards all around 20 over par. My handicap would now be 20 when it should really
    be 8. My playing partner could do the same and we would win a lot.

When you see these super low scores it’s easy to be cynical and think that something may be amiss. I try and see it the other way and that they’ve just played very well. Helps my sanity

There was a guy at my old course who did this. It was under the old handicap system. she would put in 3 competition rounds a year to keep his handicap active. He played off 21 and played opens around the midlands every Sunday. He would put in ridiculously low rounds and won thousands
    If anyone asked, he would say he played better when he had a partner as he was more relaxed. This 21 handicapper played to around 10 every Sunday.
  • Options
    Playing tonight seems to have been an error
    62 minutes in and 63 down isn’t a great hourly
    Pretty impressive just now tbf
    I managed to bust a £11 dym after having 6k chips on the bubble

I think i’ll watch some golf instead
    Stupid poker
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,281
    Jac35 said:

The rough was brutal. There’s always a decent score that comes in but we were a bit shocked that it was 10 under.
    It’s an interesting one with golf. It’s self policing and you have to trust that people are honest.

It’s very easy to win a serious amount in prizes in open competitions each year if you cheat. No one can either prove or disprove it.
    Under the new handicap system I can put in 20 marked cards all around 20 over par. My handicap would now be 20 when it should really

When you see these super low scores it’s easy to be cynical and think that something may be amiss. I try and see it the other way and that they’ve just played very well. Helps my sanity

There was a guy at my old course who did this. It was under the old handicap system. she would put in 3 competition rounds a year to keep his handicap active. He played off 21 and played opens around the midlands every Sunday. He would put in ridiculously low rounds and won thousands
    If anyone asked, he would say he played better when he had a partner as he was more relaxed. This 21 handicapper played to around 10 every Sunday.

To be fair it must have been tough to do whilst having gender reassignment and then reverting to their original gender.
  • Options
    Enut said:

Jac35 said:

To be fair it must have been tough to do whilst having gender reassignment and then reverting to their original gender.
    It was a prolific period for them
    Playing off the red tees shortened the course considerably
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Has anyone seen the footage from the Valencia v Real Madrid game tonight?
    Racism has crept back into English football over the last few years but it’s constantly awful in Spain.
    Vinicius Junior is an amazing player and every single week gets racially abused
    Monkey chants aimed at him all game and then when there’s a melee he’s grabbed around the neck and choked. He slaps the guy away eventually. VAR decides to only show the referee the bit where he slaps at the player. He gets sent off and then just a booking for the other guy. The VAR officials should be answering questions
    Grim
  • Options

That's just awful.
  • Options
    Jac35 said:

Jac35 said:

Jac35 said:

That’s fantastic
    Congrats on the win.

Is that Braid Hills?
    I played there about 25 years ago.
    It may well have changed a bit now but it’s my least favourite Scottish course that i’ve played.
    Although how i played that day probably dictated how i felt about it. It’s amazing how if we play badly then it’s a rubbish course ;)

Is there still a hole where there’s a double fairway? For some reason i remember i chose left and my partner chose right
    It's definitely a course you need to play a few times to know where to hit it on certain holes. Yeah, on 14 you can go left or right with a big patch of gorse in the middle, big hit to get it over to the left side though, especially when it's into the prevailing west wind.
  • Options
    Didn’t get anything going really tonight
    I guess i can cope with £3 down though

….
    Played at Erewash Valley in a pairs open on Sunday.
    We did ok but didn’t hole
    anything. One of the guys we played with was off scratch. Fabulous player. Made 6 birdies on his own and they ended 8 under. It was good to watch. He hit it miles.
    According to bushnell i hit my opening drive 295 (probably ran a 100 yards of it with my low flight). He took a 3 wood which was 20 yards past me!

Erewash is a nice course. They have two lovely holes in a quarry. The first from the top is 92 yards and it’s a flick with a lob wedge. Made 4 wp me

That’s two opens done and we improved on last time so maybe the next one we’ll come good at Sherwood Forest.

I watched the final round on Sunday at Memorial and was delighted to see Hovland win. Surely he has a major in him soon.

New car Wednesday. Excited

• Options
    Another new car.

295 yards......

Did you see the LPGA golf? Rose Zhang is going to be a monster star.

Do they allow buggies @ Erewash Valley?
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Another new car.

295 yards......

Yep, buggies are there. Not far from you as well
  • Options
    Jac35 said:

Tikay10 said:

Another new car.

295 yards......

Tbh i don’t really watch the LPGA
  • Options
    Jac35 said:

Jac35 said:

Tikay10 said:

Another new car.

295 yards......

Well it's time you did. They really do have THE most beautiful & athletic swings.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,638
    Tikay10 said:

Jac35 said:

Jac35 said:

Tikay10 said:

Another new car.

295 yards......

Well it's time you did. They really do have THE most beautiful & athletic swings.
    Happy Gillmore 😁
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Jac35 said:

Jac35 said:

Tikay10 said:

Another new car.

295 yards......

Hmmm
    Should ladies be allowed on golf courses?