You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Golf and stuff

Comments

• Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,162
    Jac35 said:

About 20 years ago I played in a pro-am at Uphall with a (then) fairly young pro from a course in Edinburgh; I remember it because the pro shot level par 69 with 6 pars, 6 birdies & 6 bogies. I have subsequently found out that the pro in question was @HENDRIK62 , obviously long before either of us knew each other on here! Think I told him that story last year.

That’s sort of inconsistently consistent :)
    Neil may have been known to tilt on the golf course
    I played with him at Scarborough a few years ago. He played well but on a short par 3 he hit the ball further left than you’d believe possible off the tee
    Initial outburst and then it was very quiet on the walk to the green where he’d hit his second ball :)
    Whats the saying....."you **** one sheep"

TBF I do remember that shot, it really was terrible :smile: and given that it was so bad I feel my reaction was justified, I also remember that I had a new driver that day which I had never hit before (I just kind of assumed it would be ok) and it was dreadful, I could'nt find the middle for love nor money, was also really popular with my wife that day as I hadn't told her I was playing golf until that morning :wink:
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,481
    HENDRIK62 said:

Jac35 said:

About 20 years ago I played in a pro-am at Uphall with a (then) fairly young pro from a course in Edinburgh; I remember it because the pro shot level par 69 with 6 pars, 6 birdies & 6 bogies. I have subsequently found out that the pro in question was @HENDRIK62 , obviously long before either of us knew each other on here! Think I told him that story last year.

That’s sort of inconsistently consistent :)
    Neil may have been known to tilt on the golf course
    I played with him at Scarborough a few years ago. He played well but on a short par 3 he hit the ball further left than you’d believe possible off the tee
    Initial outburst and then it was very quiet on the walk to the green where he’d hit his second ball :)
    Whats the saying....."you **** one sheep"

TBF I do remember that shot, it really was terrible :smile: and given that it was so bad I feel my reaction was justified, I also remember that I had a new driver that day which I had never hit before (I just kind of assumed it would be ok) and it was dreadful, I could'nt find the middle for love nor money, was also really popular with my wife that day as I hadn't told her I was playing golf until that morning :wink:
    I think it may have been the not getting home until 4am that really bugged her ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Go karting was fun
    He’s as competitive as me
    Fastest cadet of the day is not bad for a first ever drive

• Options
    edited February 2023
    HENDRIK62 said:

Just remembered The Addington, Coombe Hill, Letham Grange (now closed) and Blackheath, so another 4 :-)

Like @Jac35 my favourites change constantly

No order as that is just too difficult as is narrowing it down to five

Ardfin (Scotland)
    Rosemount (Scotland)
    Carnegie Club (Scotland)
    Las Brisas (spain)
    Forest of Arden (England)
    Langley Park (England)
    Birkdale (England)
    Sultan (Turkey)
    Terre Blanche (France)
    Doral (US)
    probably Loch Lomond as well but I have only played it once and it rained so that spoiled it a wee bit.

this will likely be different next week.

Best round 66 (-7) Letham Grange followed by a 77 the next day (story of my career :smiley: )

Most frustrating round was in a one day pro am at Torrance house GC started - eagle, birdie, birdie, par, eagle, birdie and then folded like a deck chair and finished -1

Worst round, Ive had so many but one sticks in my mind, representing Scotland in an event at St Andrews on the Castle Course I had 86 coming back in 10 over :blush: in my defence it was quite a windy day :

Tbh I wasn’t a big fan on Forest of Arden
    I had a couple of hours to kill when flying back from Miami a few years ago and went and had a look at Doral
    Amazing place and i believe after Trump took over they basically started again with the clubhouse . It’s probably brilliant but i liked it as it was
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,268

Superb photo of Harry, & judging by that scoreboard he's different class, 2 seconds faster than anyone else. Great to see.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Tikay10 said:

Superb photo of Harry, & judging by that scoreboard he's different class, 2 seconds faster than anyone else. Great to see.

😉
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,730
    @HENDRIK62 plays golf?! I thought he was a cricketer, some random bloke named Brian told me when I was on holiday in the Caribbean.

Ps, loving the updates Paul.
  • Options
    tomgoodun said:

@HENDRIK62 plays golf?! I thought he was a cricketer, some random bloke named Brian told me when I was on holiday in the Caribbean.

Ps, loving the updates Paul.

Great excuse to post this, thx tom :smiley:
  • Options
    ToffeeandyToffeeandy Member Posts: 910
    Jac35 said:

Jac35 said:

Tikay10 said:

Really enjoying this golf chat, hope it continues.

Ok
    To all

Your top 5 courses played
    Best round
    Worst round

My favourite courses would probably change each time I think of it. But I’ll go with

Palmares Portugal
    Nefyn Wales
    Dunbar Scotland
    Beau Desert
    Brabazon, Belfry

Best - 66 to win a club major. Only time I’ve shot under par in a comp

Worst - Ailsa. Turnberry. The course battered me, I was dreadful. Annoyingly the day before I’d played real well on the 2nd course there.

Also, losing to an older chap with one arm in a scratch match at Alfreton Golf Club (Don’t go there, it’s a shocker)

@Jac35 quick answer as I'm supposed to be working.....

Courses

Loch Lomond
    Quinta do Lago South course (Portugal)
    PGA Catalunya (Spain)
    Rosemount (Blairgowrie)
    Prestwick (Old)
    Uphall (my home course for 30+ years so has to get a mention!)

Best round - 64 (-5) at Uphall back in 2009, was off 4 at the time and my net 60 won the comp by 5 shots. Got as low as 1.8, and won my club championship twice (2012 & 2013), have since had 2 kids and don't play as much, currently playing off 4.3; I have a younger brother who's a scratch golfer but only won his 1st club championship last year. I've also had 7 holes in 1 over the years, all at Uphall.

Worst round - I shot 147 in my 1st ever Boys Open at Uphall aged 12; more recently a 90 round 1 of the Archerfield courses springs to mind. I have had a few early walk-offs after 3 or 4 holes after dreadful starts over the years too!

All I have time for at the moment.... :)
    Thanks for that, Andy. Amazing stuff

I could never get that low
    My best was 5.3
    I was off 10 when i shot the 66. A friend told me that another guy had asked him what i’d scored. When he said 66 he replied that he was still leading with his 63. My mate replied ‘no, gross’
    Net 56 to win a major raised a few eyebrows
    I then shot level in my next two comps and was very quickly down to 5.
    Worst golfing decision of my life then happened. I got lessons. With a number of different pros.I thought maybe with a bit of help i could get very low. I’d always had a somewhat agricultural swing and all i ever thought about was how far i could hit it. After lessons i had to think. My swing was different every round and I could never get back to what had got me low in the first place.
    I went about it the wrong way for sure.
    I managed to keep at single figures barring one round off 10.
    Now i’m 7 dead which makes me 8 or 9 depending on the course i’m playing.

With a swing like mine you have to be playing regularly and that’s not possible these days

I can only remember walking off once. 9th green and i felt something go in my back. Well, that’s what i told my playing partners. I think i’d shot a 45 for the front 9. Would have been many more but guilt in slowing my partners down always stopped me. I get some odd looks when i say i’m on tilt after a 6 6 start to a round.

My mate is frustrating. He’s in his 50s and was an assistant pro when 18. He packed up golf completely when his wife got pregnant and got himself a job that paid better. He didn’t play for 20 years and then when round in 71 first round back. Total natural. Hovers between. 2 and 3 handicap

What are your thoughts on the new handicap system? I can see the logic but i just prefer it the old way.
    I have a rather unorthodox swing as well, very wristy & flat, but it kind of works so I've never been that tempted to change it!

Re the new handicap system, I'm not a massive fan as I think it's too short-termist and can lead to big swings in a player's handicap over a short period of time, not sure there was that much wrong with the old way to be honest. The way it works my 8 counting scores are in my last 12 rounds so I effectively now have 8 free hits where I can't go up no matter how badly I play; I don't think that's right.
  • Options
    HENDRIK62 said:

Pretty sure we spoke about on a table some time, how's your clubhouse coming along, I really am so out of touch.
    I also intend to play a bit more again this coming year.
    Yeah we did, we're at final planning stage, hoping to start building in the next month or 2 with the goal of having it done by this time next year. The planning stage has been an absolute pain in the ar$e, so many hoops to have to jump through for a building being put in the exact same position the old one was in.

Here's what it's going to look like when it's finished:

https://www.uphallgolfclub.com/news/latest-images-of-our-proposed-new-clubhouse/
  • Options

HENDRIK62 said:

Pretty sure we spoke about on a table some time, how's your clubhouse coming along, I really am so out of touch.
    Yeah we did, we're at final planning stage, hoping to start building in the next month or 2 with the goal of having it done by this time next year. The planning stage has been an absolute pain in the ar$e, so many hoops to have to jump through for a building being put in the exact same position the old one was in.

https://www.uphallgolfclub.com/news/latest-images-of-our-proposed-new-clubhouse/
    Looks nice, i assume the back beside the first hole will be without doors etc. I seem to remember someone hitting into the shop and annoying Grumpy Gordon :wink:
  • Options
    HENDRIK62 said:

HENDRIK62 said:

Looks nice, i assume the back beside the first hole will be without doors etc. I seem to remember someone hitting into the shop and annoying Grumpy Gordon :wink:
    Yeah, that's correct, might be a fire door there but nothing else. That has happened a few times, doesn't take much to make old Hedgy have a moan!
  • Options

HENDRIK62 said:

HENDRIK62 said:

Yeah, that's correct, might be a fire door there but nothing else. That has happened a few times, doesn't take much to make old Hedgy have a moan!
    LOLOLOL not heard 'Hedgy' for ages
  • Options
    HENDRIK62 said:

HENDRIK62 said:

HENDRIK62 said:

LOLOLOL not heard 'Hedgy' for ages
    That nickname has followed him around for years! I'm playing golf with him tomorrow, then out for a few beers later on, will tell him you said hi! :)
  • Options
    pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    edited February 2023
    Sadly I cannot play golf, my cricketing background has me automatically moving my front foot to get to the pitch of the ball.
    The closest I get, is a ferocious game of putting with my family down Southsea seafront. Not crazy golf you understand, cannot abide that. We used to have two courses, one on the common, which sadly shut down during the pandemic, and one at canoe lake. Due to the lack of space this is only over twelve holes, two of which have been butchered into a type of crazy golf, due to the overhanging trees killing the grass.
    I have swung a golf club at a couple of courses whilst accompanying others and enjoying the walk. So in order of favourite
    1 . Nuwara Ellya Sri Lanka
    2. RAC Woodcote Park.

The first one was whilst I was on a cricket tour watching England, I enjoyed an afternoon with the late great Peter Walker ( Glamorgan and England, later the voice of Sunday afternoon’s John Player Special League) The course goes back to colonial days , it’s nestled in the hills of the tea plantations. Built for the English for their sporting enjoyment. It was a fabulous place, in a stunningly beautiful country.The coach ride getting up there was one of the most terrifying things I’ve done. He gave me a driver , told me what to do, then roared with laughter as I drove , all along the floor through extra cover for four.

The second was a work thing, every year we held a golf day for our customers, this was seen as a prodigious event and customers always wanted the invite. I was lucky enough to stay in one of the rooms there many times. Very nice, very formal and definitely very pricey , happy that the company paid for that. Once again I was offered a club and told what to do, alas, I was unable to do myself justice, and continued on my walk with lots of laughing and leg pulling for the rest of the round.
  • Options
    I can hardly keep my eyes open today but i had to watch the end of the test match
    Incredible game and whilst it’s painful to lose like that i feel we owe the New Zealanders one
    Single-handedly through Ben Stokes imo, Test match cricket has revitalised over the last couple of years.

A great year coming up i think

Oh yeah
    Poker is toss btw
  • Options

Ben Stokes really is something else.

And I'd rather our Test team lose by 1 run than running the clock down to get a draw.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    I’m now on the list for a partial knee replacement.
    Consultants are pretty blunt.
    Stop smoking. lose weight and you have a chance of surviving the operation!
    He’s absolutely right about the smoking. I keep trying and failing but hopefully this is the jolt i need. I’ve now stopped smoking for 57 minutes. Just need to keep going
    The weight one felt a bit harsh. I’m the heaviest i’ve ever been. Just over 13 stone. So not horrific but i definitely feel heavy. So i’ve also stopped eating. 58 minutes ago to be exact. Just need to keep going

He said i need to get it done as it’s bone on bone with the inside of my knee.
    18 month waiting list is actually better than i thought it would be.

My walking is still pretty ok considering. I just get a lot of swelling and from time to time my leg just gives way completely which is pretty embarrassing

I played poker the other night was in for £260 at one stage with games running. Much higher than normal. Luckily got a 3rd and a 7th which got me down to just a £58 loss which was ok
    Lost 7 straight Dyms, 5 at £11 and 2 at £5 which is rare.
    When i bust the last one i was very rude to someone. My only comment in chat all night but not good from me. It was def a slowroll imo and i was a little grumpy already when it happened. Still shouldn’t have said anything so bad me.

I haven’t ranted to patient poker friends since Sunday. Just need to keep going. Ok, i haven’t played since Sunday but still, no moaning is progress.

First golf lesson for my son was on Sunday afternoon. He enjoyed it so he’s booked in for a full course. Im guessing he’ll only stop loving it once i love splashed out on a set of clubs for him.
    Mrs Jackson is addicted to golf now. She’d never ever watched it before we met and now it’s on the Tv every day when i get home with old Masters reruns etc
    So, she’s now booked in for lessons too.

I’m playing at Lutterworth and also at Hinckley next month. Played neither before
    Anyone played them?

Derby got a big win last night. I think we might just miss the play offs but considering the position the club was in this time last season i’m happy enough
  • Options

Stunning effort with the non-smoking & dieting, will soon be an hour.

Does the dodgy knee affect your golf?
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Stunning effort with the non-smoking & dieting, will soon be an hour.

Does the dodgy knee affect your golf?

I’ve just edited the post above about that 😀

Not particularly. Undulating courses can be interesting. On the whole it’s ok. From time to time i get a lot of swelling after i’ve played.
    I’m due another steroid injection next month and that normally helps