You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Thomas Cooke.

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,439
    9 Worst Airline Rip-Offs
    Here's the basic principle of contemporary airline pricing: Rates are based on how much money the airlines think passengers will pay, not on the actual costs of doing business. This makes these gouges particularly painful. Here are my picks for the nine worst rip-offs in the airline industry.

Online Seat-Assignment Fees
    Quite a few airlines these days charge a fee, typically around $5 to $10, for you to preselect your seat. Again, as with booking fees, this runs counter to actual costs. Assigning seats online costs an airline virtually nothing; certainly less than taking up an agent's time when you're checking in at an airport.

Baggage Fees

Yes, the big-airline standard of $25 for one bag and $35 for a second bag can certainly add a lot to the real cost of what started out as a cheap ticket. I would be very surprised if the airline's actual cost of handling a checked bag were anywhere near that amount, so the fees very likely are a substantial overcharge. As with so many other fees, they're in the "because enough people are willing to pay it" class along with other so-called optional fees.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/nine-worst-airline-rip-of_b_4254401?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9yLnNlYXJjaC55YWhvby5jb20vX3lsdD1Bd3JKUzVnNUlKTmRERThBSHF0TEJReC47X3lsdT1YM29ETVRFMGNXcG5iR2d3QkdOdmJHOERhWEl5QkhCdmN3TXpCSFowYVdRRFZVbFZTME13TVY4eEJITmxZd056Y2ctLS9SVj0yL1JFPTE1Njk5NTE5MjkvUk89MTAvUlU9aHR0cHMlM2ElMmYlMmZ3d3cuaHVmZnBvc3QuY29tJTJmZW50cnklMmZuaW5lLXdvcnN0LWFpcmxpbmUtcmlwLW9mX2JfNDI1NDQwMS9SSz0yL1JTPXl2NGlSRzA4ZjhuaGZNOVNmNlNyZXBhbFNyYy0&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAIU4gMu6c_yIw7alXZFayXnMivffoObLBCXOGPAkEPOoDXQJj7eYqw-gBL5AjJ-ryGrb_xOt9gvaFSCDM0R9fM4drZQ4UKXwpZHU625hLs5RZK9VDWMIXWaIcj__IO-D-c-_RTG9OvNlhluDVdTPq53Gx9iJxpG-YJzN_zdMqk6M
  • Options
    The five worst Ryanair rip-offs!

Rights, Scams and Politics

Ryanair is doing its best to find more and more ways to swindle you out of your hard-earned cash. Here, we highlight the worst Ryanair rip-offs!

Baggage fees
    And the fees don’t end there – oh no! I don’t know about you, but I think it’s quite likely you’ll have some luggage with you when you jet off somewhere. Personally, I’d rather not turn up at my holiday destination with just the clothes I’m wearing and my toothbrush.
    However, Ryanair seems to think it’s perfectly acceptable to go with minimal luggage. And in what I can only understand as a way to deter you from bringing any baggage (apart from a tiny amount of hand luggage) on your flight, Ryanair charges £15 per bag per flight – so £30 return. What’s more, this will rise to £40 return during July and August (school holiday time) – again, pretty discriminating against families.
    If you need to check in a second bag, the fees get even higher, coming in at £35 per bag per flight (£70 return), or £40 per flight in July and August (£80 return).
    And if you do have kids, you’ll lose out even further if you need to take on a travel cot, as you will need to pay £10 per item per flight. That said, Ryanair has been gracious enough to allow one pushchair to be carried free of charge. How thoughtful.

Pay to... er, pay
    When you go to pay for your flight, guess what? You’ll have to pay a fee! Yes, that’s right you have to pay to... er, pay!
    Unless you have a Mastercard Prepaid debit card, you will have to pay an administration fee of £5 per passenger per flight. So if you’ve got a family of four, that’s £20 each way – or a total of £40! What a rip-off!

https://www.lovemoney.com/news/4817/the-five-worst-ryanair-ripoffs
  • Options
  • Options
    Crackdown on ‘rip-off’ airline fees

Ministers to expose carriers’ hidden charges

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/crackdown-on-rip-off-airline-fees-rh3hs8v8q
  • Options
    I am bored with it now.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,649
    HAYSIE said:

I am bored with it now.

You're not really ;)
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,119
    stokefc said:

HAYSIE said:

I am bored with it now.

You're not really ;)

Shush Stokey, don't start him off again.

• Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,176
    edited October 2019
    I don't agree with you on this one Mr Hayes @HAYSIE would you believe :)

I had started writing something similar to Hhufty's @hhyftrftdr initial reply, but nowhere near as comprehensive (well written Jonathon btw),

Why should I as a passenger travelling with no hold baggage and not bothered which seat I sit in, not interested in an in-flight meal or drink or entertainment ('coz I've brought my own) have to pay the same as someone who wants to have all of those extras?

Maybe they should start with it at the highest price and offer discounts for the extras you don't need, but which way round looks more appealing?....... £250 everything included* (*with a list of everything) or £50* (*add extras required)

Maybe it looks better to you Tony, starting at the £TOP PRICE and offering discounts, but as you know, it's never good to be an 'Old Yoghurt' ! ;)
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,305
    HAYSIE said:

madprof said:

If a double glazing firm advertised a price for a particular sized window, and after you attempted to buy one at the advertised price, they decided to make additional charges for removing the old window, making good, internal cill, external cill, glass, etc etc, they would be battered on Watchdog on the telly.

The difference between Ryanair and the robbing bar stewards who sell plastic and glass is at least Ryanair publish their prices...unlike

What’s black and brown and looks good on a DG salesman? A rotweiler!
    I was one for about 20 years, that is a DG salesman, not a rottweiler.

Hey

I know (@Misty4me told me) hence why I >:) said it! ;)
  • Options
    stokefc said:

HAYSIE said:

I am bored with it now.

You're not really ;)
    Bang to rights.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

stokefc said:

HAYSIE said:

I am bored with it now.

You're not really ;)

Shush Stokey, don't start him off again.

Too late.
  • Options
    madprof said:

HAYSIE said:

madprof said:

If a double glazing firm advertised a price for a particular sized window, and after you attempted to buy one at the advertised price, they decided to make additional charges for removing the old window, making good, internal cill, external cill, glass, etc etc, they would be battered on Watchdog on the telly.

The difference between Ryanair and the robbing bar stewards who sell plastic and glass is at least Ryanair publish their prices...unlike

What’s black and brown and looks good on a DG salesman? A rotweiler!
    I was one for about 20 years, that is a DG salesman, not a rottweiler.
    Hey

I know (@Misty4me told me) hence why I >:) said it! ;)

He is a grass.
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

I don't agree with you on this one Mr Hayes @HAYSIE would you believe :)

Why would that surprise me?

You are a leave voter, who is unable to point any way that your life is expected to improve post Brexit, and therefore cant explain why you voted in this way, other than by quoting the absolutely meaningless bs rhetoric, like taking back control, Sovereignty, straight bananas, unelected something or another, and at the same time ignoring the economic damage.

I had started writing something similar to Hhufty's @hhyftrftdr initial reply, but nowhere near as comprehensive (well written Jonathon btw),

Really?

Why should I as a passenger travelling with no hold baggage and not bothered which seat I sit in, not interested in an in-flight meal or drink or entertainment ('coz I've brought my own) have to pay the same as someone who wants to have all of those extras?

We are now back to leave voter thinking.

You are deluded if you think you are the norm.

Most people prefer not to be ham roll smugglers that want to spend a couple of weeks on holiday wearing the same clothes, and would prefer not to converse with strangers, rather than their own family on the flight.

Although some families may find it preferable.

One thing I would support is airlines stopping the ham roll smugglers.

I think it is ridiculous to allow this. They have a food and drink business. It is not accepted in pubs or restaurants.

Why do they wear it?

I will explain my argument again below, as you seem to have ignored the relevant points.

These arguments are widely supported, as proved by the selection of articles above.

The term rip off is widely used when referring to airlines, so you have a minority view.

Maybe they should start with it at the highest price and offer discounts for the extras you don't need, but which way round looks more appealing?....... £250 everything included* (*with a list of everything) or £50* (*add extras required)

I don't agree with charging for hold luggage, but if they are determined to do this, I think they should include it in the advertised flight cost.

To charge £140 return for two bags, is excessive.

To charge 60% of the flight cost for a bag seems ridiculous.

Ryanair have admitted in the article above that they regularly offer hold baggage for free on arrival, due to a lack of space, and to avoid delays. How could anyone see this as being fair?

I mean anyone other than the cheapskates that wont pay for a bag, and like wearing the same clothes.

A charge for selecting a normal seat is stupid. Extra leg room seats are fair enough, as they are not the norm.

When you are booking on the internet, if you don't select your seats, then someone from the airline will have to do it for you. So it is less for them to do, if you do it yourself. Someone has to choose a seat for you. They have to know which seats have been booked as the plane fills up.

Therefore a charge is ridiculous.

A £40 charge for a sheet of paper that is a boarding pass is profiteering. How could you possibly justify it.

You should ready yourself with empty family water bottles for use in the case of Ryanair introducing a charge for using the toilet.

Whatever next, hotels charging extra for baths, showers, using wash hand basins, and beds?

If they did you would be very smelly, tired, and bearded, when coming home wearing the same clothes that you went in, after your holiday in the sun.

Maybe it looks better to you Tony, starting at the £TOP PRICE and offering discounts, but as you know, it's never good to be an 'Old Yoghurt' ! ;)

I don't think that there is a top price, because they offer so much these days. You have to opt out of buying lots of stuff on Ryanair these days, car hire, hotels, insurance, etc etc.
    I think the advertised prices should include hold baggage, and seat selection. If this was the case then airlines would be forced to compete on these items. Which may mean that the charges would be reduced or even eliminated.

Your arguments go a long way to proving you are an old yoghurt, way past your sell by date.
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,479
    edited October 2019
    Fair play to you. I’m not sure i know anyone in the real world who would get so angry at saving a bunch of cash on some flights

Congrats on your recent wins
    Are you coming to the SPT this weekend?
    I’ve heard Ryan Air are doing Cardiff to EMA at a snip of a price, £743 return. Obv a little more if you want a window seat but good value all the same

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,119

Nooo, stop it. We just got him quietened down, too.
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,176
    Tikay10 said:

Nah........ feed The Bear the Cherry and the Bun, give him the Penny (or is that Euro?)..... then poke him with a Stick and set him off again..... :D
  • Options
    Jac35 said:

Fair play to you. I’m not sure i know anyone in the real world who would get so angry at saving a bunch of cash on some flights

Congrats on your recent wins
    Are you coming to the SPT this weekend?
    I’ve heard Ryan Air are doing Cardiff to EMA at a snip of a price, £743 return. Obv a little more if you want a window seat but good value all the same

Thanks Jac, I think.

No I am not, I have become a hermit, I haven't been to one for ages.

The flight would be ok, but I couldn't afford the bag.

I am against wearing the same clothes for 3 or 4 days.

You have to pay to get a window seat.
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

Tikay10 said:

Nah........ feed The Bear the Cherry and the Bun, give him the Penny (or is that Euro?)..... then poke him with a Stick and set him off again..... :D
    Didn't you just hoist a white flag?