You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Thomas Cooke.

1235»

Comments

• Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,176
    Nope....... It would appear that Long Haul flights are priced differently (it's been ages since I booked one). I would have much preferred to have further discounts for just having hand luggage, not having a meal (which was as rubbish as it always was) 'coz I have my Smoked Salmon sandwiches, and the entertainment on the way out wasn't very good either..... or just start with a cheaper base price and build the extras on, especially for people with multiple Super Large Cases full of Duffel Coats and Wellies, that mean more Baggage Handlers are needed, particularly when the have to go off sick with bad backs and RSI
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,443
    edited October 2019
    MISTY4ME said:

Nope....... It would appear that Long Haul flights are priced differently (it's been ages since I booked one). I would have much preferred to have further discounts for just having hand luggage, not having a meal (which was as rubbish as it always was) 'coz I have my Smoked Salmon sandwiches, and the entertainment on the way out wasn't very good either..... or just start with a cheaper base price and build the extras on, especially for people with multiple Super Large Cases full of Duffel Coats and Wellies, that mean more Baggage Handlers are needed, particularly when the have to go off sick with bad backs and RSI

You cant have it both ways.
    In your previous post you claim that all the above were included in a very good price.
    You cant say that and then moan about it.
    It was either a very good price, or it wasn't.
    I must apologise for accusing you of being a ham roll smuggler, as you are in fact more upmarket than that.
    A smoked salmon sandwich smuggler demands far more respect.
    You may have some interest in the Donald Russell thread after all.
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

On a serious note.

On a long haul flight more airlines assume that the majority will opt for a hold bag, and will include it in the price.
    So your argument on this is irrelevant.
    Secondly, as you were travelling alone seat selection was also irrelevant.
    I am not certain if airlines have an obligation to provide some food on long haul flights, if so then this would remove the option of food or not.
    If this is the case they would be unable to assume that some passengers will be smugglers, whether this may be of the ham roll type, or more respectable smoked salmon sandwich perpetrators.
    So all the arguments that you previously put forward, are irrelevant In terms of this particular flight.
    As your wife does not fly, it is unlikely that you will be boosting Ryanair profits by very much any time soon.
    Your opinions on this thread then become extremely hypothetical.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

On a serious note.

On a long haul flight more airlines assume that the majority will opt for a hold bag, and will include it in the price.
    I am not certain if airlines have an obligation to provide some food on long haul flights, if so then this would remove the option of food or not.
    If this is the case they would be unable to assume that some passengers will be smugglers, whether this may be of the ham roll type, or more respectable smoked salmon sandwich perpetrators.
    So all the arguments that you previously put forward, are irrelevant In terms of this particular flight.
    As your wife does not fly, it is unlikely that you will be boosting Ryanair profits by very much any time soon.

11. In-flight meals on budget airlines
    Short-haul European budget carriers, like easyJet, Ryanair and Monarch do not provide any free airplane food or drinks.

Mid-range airlines
    15. In-flight meals on long-haul flights only
    The good news is that mid-range airlines such as Thomas Cook Airlines and Thomson Airways provide free meals on their long

16. Top-end airline providers with in-flight meals
    Full-service airlines, like British Airways, Virgin Atlantic and Singapore Airlines, usually provide at least one hot meal, snacks and drinks, included in the price of your ticket on a long-haul flight.
    You'll be pleased to know that they usually provide free snacks, tea and coffee on most short-haul flights too.

https://www.holidayextras.co.uk/travel-blog/before-you-go/airline-meals.html
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

On a serious note.

Short-haul European budget carriers, like easyJet, Ryanair and Monarch do not provide any free airplane food or drinks.

Mid-range airlines
    The good news is that mid-range airlines such as Thomas Cook Airlines and Thomson Airways provide free meals on their long

Full-service airlines, like British Airways, Virgin Atlantic and Singapore Airlines, usually provide at least one hot meal, snacks and drinks, included in the price of your ticket on a long-haul flight.
    You'll be pleased to know that they usually provide free snacks, tea and coffee on most short-haul flights too.

Cost[edit]
    Food on board a flight is usually free on full-service Asian airlines and on almost all long-distance flights,
    while they might cost extra on low-cost airlines or European full-service airline flights. Quality may also fluctuate due to shifts in the economics of the airline industry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline_meal
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,727
    My good lady and I have one holiday per year, we are considering taking the family abroad, after reading this thread I’m quite sceptical that we will have an idea of cost for flights to Spain or the like if we were to go the route of booking flight and hotel ( or renting a house) separate.
    Totally get where Tony is coming from.

Go into Tesco “ How much for a loaf”
    “ Depends how many people want one, what day it is, and whether you’re parked outside” 🙄
  • Options
    tomgoodun said:

My good lady and I have one holiday per year, we are considering taking the family abroad, after reading this thread I’m quite sceptical that we will have an idea of cost for flights to Spain or the like if we were to go the route of booking flight and hotel ( or renting a house) separate.

“ Depends how many people want one, what day it is, and whether you’re parked outside” 🙄

My advice would be to use a company like Skyscanner, as they will search all airlines.

Enter all UK airports in your search criteria.

I prefer Cardiff or Bristol, but don't mind Birmingham if there is a worthwhile saving.

It also asks you on the travelling dates tab, for specific dates, or the whole month in which you intend to travel.

Providing you can be a little flexible, enter whole month.

This search provides you with the cheapest flight from the airport you have chosen, for each day that flights are available.

If you just input two travel dates it just provides you with the best flights for those dates.

Choose the dates that suit you best, then ensure the accommodation you have chosen is available for the dates of the best flights, before actually booking.

If you take my holiday as an example my original choice was from the 19th to the 29th, but the flights on the 17th were £323 cheaper, and obviously make more sense providing this fits in with your time off, and availability of accommodation.

Always pay with a credit card, as this makes a refund easier if something goes wrong, under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,305
    HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

You cant have it both ways.
    In your previous post you claim that all the above were included in a very good price.
    You cant say that and then moan about it.
    It was either a very good price, or it wasn't.
    I must apologise for accusing you of being a ham roll smuggler, as you are in fact more upmarket than that.
    A smoked salmon sandwich smuggler demands far more respect.
    You may have some interest in the Donald Russell thread after all.
    Smoked salmon sadnwiches? FFS Are you a closet Utd fan?? You said you were from Sheffield?? Should be beef dripping on Mother's pride for you...nonce!
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

tomgoodun said:

My advice would be to use a company like Skyscanner, as they will search all airlines.

I prefer Cardiff or Bristol, but don't mind Birmingham if there is a worthwhile saving.

It also asks you on the travelling dates tab, for specific dates, or the whole month in which you intend to travel.

This search provides you with the cheapest flight from the airport you have chosen, for each day that flights are available.

If you just input two travel dates it just provides you with the best flights for those dates.

Choose the dates that suit you best, then ensure the accommodation you have chosen is available for the dates of the best flights, before actually booking.

If you take my holiday as an example my original choice was from the 19th to the 29th, but the flights on the 17th were £323 cheaper, and obviously make more sense providing this fits in with your time off, and availability of accommodation.

Always pay with a credit card, as this makes a refund easier if something goes wrong, under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.
    Agree re: Skyscanner or google flights works well, especially if you are planning a multi flight, worldide trip with several cities across months of travel...Tony..you need to spend your winnings somehow so why not?
  • Options
    tomgoodun said:

When looking for accommodation you are probably best starting off using one of the comparison sites like Trivago.
    You can always check the prices against the hotels own website.
    It is not always the cheapest price on the comparison sites.
    For instance I looked on Booking.com yesterday for a hotel in Nottingham for the SPT, they had a price of £228 for 3 nights room only at the DeVere, I booked on their own site for £182, for the room including breakfast.
    A breakfast is a must when staying at a hotel.
    They charge £10 for a breakfast so booking direct saved me £76.
    If you are going to Spain you need to choose the accommodation first, to establish the nearest airport.
  • Options
    madprof said:

HAYSIE said:

tomgoodun said:

Agree re: Skyscanner or google flights works well, especially if you are planning a multi flight, worldide trip with several cities across months of travel...Tony..you need to spend your winnings somehow so why not?
    Sounds like a plan.

He travels from Cornwall to Sheffield to save money on his teeth.

Just because his mate from school is a dentist, and hasn't got the heart to charge him.

He is trying to lecture people on flights, when his missus wont even get on one.

I know his missus, and this means he will be allowed to book a flight on his own, at around 25 year intervals.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

On a serious note.

Mid-range airlines

Wrong Tony @MISTY4ME is a seasoned flier with the cheepies... Newquay to Manchester ( for an SPT) with Flybe don't you know..
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,727
    Thanks , that’s most helpful.
  • Options
    tomgoodun said:

Tom
    I've got a couple of Tommy Cook seats going spare if you wanna buy them off me...going cheap...
  • Options
    madprof said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

On a serious note.

Mid-range airlines

Wrong Tony @MISTY4ME is a seasoned flier with the cheepies... Newquay to Manchester ( for an SPT) with Flybe don't you know..
    I stand corrected then.

No bags though?
  • Options
    tomgoodun said:

No probs.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

madprof said:

HAYSIE said:

tomgoodun said:

Sounds like a plan.

He travels from Cornwall to Sheffield to save money on his teeth.

Just because his mate from school is a dentist, and hasn't got the heart to charge him.

He is trying to lecture people on flights, when his missus wont even get on one.

I know his missus, and this means he will be allowed to book a flight on his own, at around 25 year intervals.
    (Ssssh...I've met D...why aren't you as scared as I am?? ssh)