You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Covid 19 UK.

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,073
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

lucy4 said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Before the end of this initial 3-week period, they are going to have to extend it. The growth in numbers leaves little choice.

But there are 3 important factors to remember.

Firstly, the people need to see an end in sight before too long. Or people will cease to follow the rules.

Secondly, this Government (and indeed the world) cannot (economically) afford for this to go on too long. By that, I mean the lockdown, not the virus itself.

Thirdly, it takes time to restart the economy. Infrastructures need time to scale up/restart.

I predict that there will be an additional 3-week period announced. But, before that is up, we will be given a definite date when various restrictions will be lifted.

It's MAD-chester! Greater Manchester Police shut down 494 house parties and 166 street gatherings with DJs, fireworks and BOUNCY CASTLES as covidiots flouted lockdown last weekend

Police in Greater Manchester have revealed they were called out to 494 house parties (in green) over four days despite the coronavirus restrictions. Between Saturday and Tuesday, officers also had to deal with 166 street parties (in brown), 122 group gatherings for sporting activities (in red) and 173 gatherings in parks (in light blue). The figures were released as an appeal was launched, involving various personalities in the region, urging people to stay at home over the forthcoming Easter weekend. Among those sending home made video messages were Manchester United footballer Marcus Rashford, his former team-mate Michael Carrick, Manchester City player Steph Houghton, Dan Brocklebank who plays vicar Billy in Coronation Street and Happy Mondays singer Shaun Ryder.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html
    I've told you before.
    Stop believing the hysterical cobblers spouted by the Daily Fascist. Although this time the GMP are hardly helping.

I watched the interview in relation to this. That is how many times GMP were called out last weekend to alleged breaches.
    The spokesman readily agreed that various of these calls did not involve breaches. For example, the many street parties where social distancing is rigorously adhered to.

Quite why GMP feel able to provide precise figures on call-outs, and none whatsoever in relation to which ones actually involved real breaches, beggars belief. So they were NOT called out to 494 house parties-they investigated the possibility that 494 were taking place. And CBA to tell us how many there were. So, on the 1 hand, precise figures. On the other, "some" were irrelevant. "Some" involved DJs. How many? 10? 100? 480?

Makes GMP look busy. At the cost of actual accurate, meaningful figures.

Thats very good.
    Agree.

42.14% of statistics are made up on the spot...
    The real point was that we are supposed to be monitoring deaths, to judge when the peak has been reached.
    In this case all 15 deaths might have been caused by the virus, yet they will only include 5 in the death stats, through lack of testing.
    Are we kidding ourselves?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Cabinet Minister Robert Jenrick drives 150 MILES to his £1.1million second home to be with family during lockdown, just DAYS after ordering public not to travel unnecessarily (and he also visited his parents 40 miles away!)

Cabinet minister Robert Jenrick, pictured, has defended driving 150 miles last weekend to visit his parents in Shropshire despite the Covid-19 lockdown as he was delivering food and medication to his mother and father who are self isolating. Mr Jenrick is also accused of moving from his home in Westminster to his Grade I-listed mansion in Hertfordshire with his wife Michel, inset, and their children.

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,002
    HAYSIE said:

Cabinet Minister Robert Jenrick drives 150 MILES to his £1.1million second home to be with family during lockdown, just DAYS after ordering public not to travel unnecessarily (and he also visited his parents 40 miles away!)

Cabinet minister Robert Jenrick, pictured, has defended driving 150 miles last weekend to visit his parents in Shropshire despite the Covid-19 lockdown as he was delivering food and medication to his mother and father who are self isolating. Mr Jenrick is also accused of moving from his home in Westminster to his Grade I-listed mansion in Hertfordshire with his wife Michel, inset, and their children.

You just can't help yourself can you :)

Mail again. Headline proclaims he drove 150 miles to "2nd home", whereas the main story says he was just delivering meds to his parents.

Of course he moved from Westminster. He was at Parliament, now it is in recess. Can't see the problem moving the once.

Fascinated that Shropshire is 40 miles from Wesminster, and Hertfordshire is 150 miles away. That must have been some earthquake.

And who cares if it is, or not, a "£1.1million second home" or a "Grade-1 listed mansion"
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

lucy4 said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Before the end of this initial 3-week period, they are going to have to extend it. The growth in numbers leaves little choice.

Firstly, the people need to see an end in sight before too long. Or people will cease to follow the rules.

Secondly, this Government (and indeed the world) cannot (economically) afford for this to go on too long. By that, I mean the lockdown, not the virus itself.

Thirdly, it takes time to restart the economy. Infrastructures need time to scale up/restart.

I predict that there will be an additional 3-week period announced. But, before that is up, we will be given a definite date when various restrictions will be lifted.

It's MAD-chester! Greater Manchester Police shut down 494 house parties and 166 street gatherings with DJs, fireworks and BOUNCY CASTLES as covidiots flouted lockdown last weekend

Police in Greater Manchester have revealed they were called out to 494 house parties (in green) over four days despite the coronavirus restrictions. Between Saturday and Tuesday, officers also had to deal with 166 street parties (in brown), 122 group gatherings for sporting activities (in red) and 173 gatherings in parks (in light blue). The figures were released as an appeal was launched, involving various personalities in the region, urging people to stay at home over the forthcoming Easter weekend. Among those sending home made video messages were Manchester United footballer Marcus Rashford, his former team-mate Michael Carrick, Manchester City player Steph Houghton, Dan Brocklebank who plays vicar Billy in Coronation Street and Happy Mondays singer Shaun Ryder.

I've told you before.
    Stop believing the hysterical cobblers spouted by the Daily Fascist. Although this time the GMP are hardly helping.

I watched the interview in relation to this. That is how many times GMP were called out last weekend to alleged breaches.
    The spokesman readily agreed that various of these calls did not involve breaches. For example, the many street parties where social distancing is rigorously adhered to.

Quite why GMP feel able to provide precise figures on call-outs, and none whatsoever in relation to which ones actually involved real breaches, beggars belief. So they were NOT called out to 494 house parties-they investigated the possibility that 494 were taking place. And CBA to tell us how many there were. So, on the 1 hand, precise figures. On the other, "some" were irrelevant. "Some" involved DJs. How many? 10? 100? 480?

Thats very good.
    Agree.

The real point was that we are supposed to be monitoring deaths, to judge when the peak has been reached.
    In this case all 15 deaths might have been caused by the virus, yet they will only include 5 in the death stats, through lack of testing.
    I can understand that we are unable to test as much as the Germans. But Iran?

We are the 5th biggest economy in the world. The NHS is the 5th largest employer in the world. We deserve better.

I know our statistic gathering is terrible. Cannot understand why a hospital can't report a death within 24 hours. Not exactly difficult, surely? I don't know the inner workings of hospitals. But I reckon they know when someone has died.

But if our reporting of statistics is at least consistent, then hopefully the relevant people can at least have a decent guess as to when the peak will be reached.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Mail again. Headline proclaims he drove 150 miles to "2nd home", whereas the main story says he was just delivering meds to his parents.

Of course he moved from Westminster. He was at Parliament, now it is in recess. Can't see the problem moving the once.

Fascinated that Shropshire is 40 miles from Wesminster, and Hertfordshire is 150 miles away. That must have been some earthquake.

And who cares if it is, or not, a "£1.1million second home" or a "Grade-1 listed mansion"

• Options
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

You cant help yourself either.

I don't suppose you have the Daily Mail delivered to your home?

I suppose they got the mileages the wrong way around.

I would agree the details of his home are irrelevant.

However, you cannot surely be arguing that what he has done is not in complete contradiction to rules that The Government has put in place, which he has been instrumental in stressing the importance of to the public.

There was a school of thought on the paper review last night suggesting that his excuses, were just that.
    Apparently there was a lengthy gap between the story appearing on The Guardian website, and him coming up with his excuses.
    It was suggested that this time lapse was caused by him waiting to see if he had been photographed, therefore proving his excuses to be untrue.
    Whichever way you look at it, his own actions were in complete contradiction to his Mothers Day message to the public.

Robert Jenrick's messages to the public: 'We need to stay at home'
    Housing secretary visited parents having told others not to breach coronavirus lockdown

Robert Jenrick speaks during the daily press briefing at Downing Street on Mother’s Day, when he told people not to visit their mothers.

He has been front and centre of Downing Street’s publicity campaign to get the country to follow lockdown rules to stop the spread of Covid-19. But on Thursday the Guardian revealed that Robert Jenrick has visited his own parents, who live 40 miles from his home.
    The housing and communities minister has delivered a consistent message in his public statements in recent weeks:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/apr/09/robert-jenricks-messages-to-the-public-we-need-to-stay-at-home
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

lucy4 said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

I've told you before.

Thats very good.
    Agree.

We are the 5th biggest economy in the world. The NHS is the 5th largest employer in the world. We deserve better.

I know our statistic gathering is terrible. Cannot understand why a hospital can't report a death within 24 hours. Not exactly difficult, surely? I don't know the inner workings of hospitals. But I reckon they know when someone has died.

But if our reporting of statistics is at least consistent, then hopefully the relevant people can at least have a decent guess as to when the peak will be reached.
    The details are really important, and I don't think we are very good at them.

We cant get out of the lockdown until the number of deaths, and new infections are reduced.

We are not very good at counting deaths.

Nor testing to have an idea of new infection numbers.

When the numbers are small enough, then contact tracing becomes a way out.

I am not sure that we would be any good at that either.

Hundreds of UK care home deaths not added to official coronavirus toll
    Exclusive: Industry body estimates up to 1,000 people may have died in care homes so far

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/09/covid-19-hundreds-of-uk-care-home-deaths-not-added-to-official-toll
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

This is an extract from his website.

Robert is married to Michal, and together they have three young daughters. They live in Southwell near Newark, and in London.

He is apparently in Herefordshire.

He has described his current location as his main residence.

If this is true, he has been misleading his constituents for a number of years, as his website implies that he lives close to his constituency, or in London when in Parliament.

Part of his explanation has to be untrue.

I am not that bothered, but it does seem hypocritical.
  • Options

UK coronavirus peak at least two weeks away, chief scientist says
    Patrick Vallance says deaths likely to keep rising for fortnight after ICU situation improves

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/09/uk-coronavirus-peak-at-least-two-weeks-away-chief-scientist-says
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,299
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Robert is married to Michal, and together they have three young daughters. They live in Southwell near Newark, and in London.

If this is true, he has been misleading his constituents for a number of years, as his website implies that he lives close to his constituency, or in London when in Parliament.

Methinks his ‘holiday home’ suddenly became his main residence.... the issue of him travelling 40 miles to take his parents supplies is anon issue..we would all do that

Hmmm.. I wonder where his children normally go to school? Herefordshire, Newark, London or no doubt some boarding school somewhere...that would clear up where his main residence is

If it’s found that his kids school in London or Newark, he should also be sacked Step down...
  • Options
    madprof said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Methinks his ‘holiday home’ suddenly became his main residence.... the issue of him travelling 40 miles to take his parents supplies is anon issue..we would all do that

I think that the parents issue only becomes valid when you are The Government Minister responsible for telling the whole country not to visit their Mum on Mothers Day.
    How did they previously get their supplies?
    How do they plan on getting them in the future?

If his parents are really incapable of shopping, you would think arrangements would have already been in place.

The likelihood is that they became incapable the minute he got caught, and at the same time as his main residence moved to Herefordshire

Hmmm.. I wonder where his children normally go to school? Herefordshire, Newark, London or no doubt some boarding school somewhere...that would clear up where his main residence is

When the election campaign was going on, I am sure that his literature would have included references to him living in, or close to, his constituency.
    This claim is clearly made on his website.

If it’s found that his kids school in London or Newark, he should also be sacked Step down...
    Ministerial responsibility seems a thing of the past.
  • Options
    On a related matter, just got around to watching last night's Question Time.

So-what happened. 3 of the panel were at home. That would be Ruby Wax, who seemed to believe this programme was a chance for her to shamelessly plug some venture of hers. Some Scottish bloke, who appeared to be only fleetingly visiting Planet Earth. And a Scientist, who got next to no air time.

The politicians were priceless. Let's take Brandon Lewis as the example (though much of it holds true for the Labour politician).

So-a man whose job centres in Westminster and Belfast (he is the NI minister). Whose constituency is in Norfolk. Who no doubt has more than 1 home, and more than 1 computer. But who, rather than uses any of those ample resources, chooses to travel to a BBC studio. Not to do his job. To appear live on QT. And tell the rest of us that it is irresponsible to travel for any non-essential journeys, as that is damaging the NHS, and risking lives. Who says people should only leave the house once a day, and only for exercise.

And he doesn't realise just what a hypocrite he is.
  • Options
    ‘I want him to be remembered as a hero’: Son pays tribute to doctor who died after warning Boris Johnson of lack of protective equipment
    ‘My father is not going to be the last NHS frontline worker to die,’ says Intisar Chowdhury

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-doctor-death-abdul-mabud-chowdhury-boris-johnson-a9458996.html
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

On a related matter, just got around to watching last night's Question Time.

So-what happened. 3 of the panel were at home. That would be Ruby Wax, who seemed to believe this programme was a chance for her to shamelessly plug some venture of hers. Some Scottish bloke, who appeared to be only fleetingly visiting Planet Earth. And a Scientist, who got next to no air time.

The politicians were priceless. Let's take Brandon Lewis as the example (though much of it holds true for the Labour politician).

So-a man whose job centres in Westminster and Belfast (he is the NI minister). Whose constituency is in Norfolk. Who no doubt has more than 1 home, and more than 1 computer. But who, rather than uses any of those ample resources, chooses to travel to a BBC studio. Not to do his job. To appear live on QT. And tell the rest of us that it is irresponsible to travel for any non-essential journeys, as that is damaging the NHS, and risking lives. Who says people should only leave the house once a day, and only for exercise.

And he doesn't realise just what a hypocrite he is.

He just doesn't realise anything very much.

On another subject, I noticed that the nurses that appear on The Governments ads on the telly are properly kitted out.
    Unlike the reality in hospitals.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

lucy4 said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

I've told you before.

Thats very good.
    Agree.

Apparently just over 16,000 tests yesterday, maybe an increase of around 1500.
    The hundred thousand by the end of the month, looks a long way away.
  • Options
    madprof said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

• Options
  • Options
    The front page of the Daily Express is dominated by an image of Aimee Goold, an intensive care nurse from Nottinghamshire.
    She posted a picture online of herself at the end of her shift, her face a mass of marks, sores and red patches because of the tight-fitting mask she'd been wearing for 13 hours. "Bruised, battered and exhausted," the Express says, "Aimee Goold begged people to 'remember this face' and stay at home."
    The Daily Mirror leads on complaints by some NHS staff of the lack of personal protective equipment (PPE) - which it illustrates with a picture on its front page of three nurses wearing improvised gowns made out of binbags.
    Others are resorting to cutting up hospital curtains or using bits of plastic as makeshift masks, the Mirror says, or even reusing old scrubs.
    The Guardian focuses on the first 10 doctors in the UK named as having died from Covid-19, all of whom were from ethnic minorities.
    It reports that the British Medical Association has asked the government to "urgently investigate" what it calls an extremely disturbing and worrying trend. The chairman of the BMA, Dr Chaand Nagpaul, tells the paper: "At face value, it seems hard to see how this can be random."
    The Daily Telegraph says ministers now believe the cost of the crisis here could be the economy "slumping by more than 14% in the next three months."
    That is sparking concerns - it says - that tens of thousands of Britons may die prematurely from the "worst recession in history", with the lockdown ultimately proving "more lethal to the health of the country" than the coronavirus itself.
    The Daily Mail reports that officials believe normal life will have stay on hold until a vaccine becomes available, in about 18 months.
    Ministers want to lift some restrictions within weeks it says - but nonetheless the country will have to get used to a "new normal" until effective medication is available.
    The Daily Telegraph's take is even more gloomy - "Social distancing 'could be indefinite'" is its headline.
    It reports people will be asked to consider whether social interactions - such as returning to an office or visiting relations - are necessary, as part of a plan to live with the virus for "months or even years."

The Times however, has spoken to the British scientist leading what it calls one of the world's most advanced efforts to find a vaccine - who says it could be ready as soon as September. Sarah Gilbert, professor of vaccinology at Oxford University, tells the paper she is "80% confident" the vaccine being developed by her team will work.
    Several papers focus on the health of the prime minister. The Sun says Boris Johnson's fiancee Carrie Symonds sent him daily letters and scans of their unborn child while he was in intensive care to "lift his spirits."
    As Mr Johnson gets better, the Times says, he's needed things to do as he rests. The paper reports his activities have included doing puzzles - like Sudoku - and watching films, such as the Lord of the Rings trilogy and Withnail and I.
    Of course - because of the lockdown - it's not just the prime minister who suddenly has more time on his hands.
    The Daily Mail says it's meant huge numbers of people turning to gardening and DIY projects - and massively overloading B&Q's website in the process.
    At one point yesterday, it reports, would-be purchasers of home improvements were told they would have to wait more than a hour to get online, as more than 300,000 people were simultaneously trying to buy products.
    The environment is at least benefiting though, the Times reports. It says cities including London, Leeds, Oxford and Glasgow have seen big falls in nitrogen dioxide levels. One expert tells the paper the change is so profound it's the equivalent of everyone switching to electric cars.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-52250693