You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

£500 + 3 months = ???

Comments

• Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    madprof said:

Gl with this...I’m sure you’ll smash itReload soon...💩👹🤪👿

Quite prophetic of you @madprof - first challenge update incoming... :D
  • Options

GL with this Dues will definitely be following, do you reckon you’ll be playing more volume in cash games or tournaments?

Thanks @loosecamel.

I don't have any specific plans and will generally be guided by whatever I feel most motivated to play at the time. However, it's likely that cash will take centre stage until the roll hits the £1k mark. Cash will also need to feature fairly prominently if I am to reach priority status at some point - it's next to impossible to do that with MTT play exclusively (especially if, like me, you don't play satellites).
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    PBKR said:

@Duesenberg its really quite mad you have chosen to do this - i've been toying with the idea for weeks of doing a £500-£5k with charitable increments, just as a way to get more involved with the community on sky. Like you though, the lower BRM might be a bit of a self challenge! I am really looking forward to see how you get on, and will eagerly watch you progress.

Twitch, now this...you seem to be one step ahead of me on these ideas!

Great minds and all that eh Phil?!

I can confirm I have not copyrighted any of these ideas, so do feel free to jump onto the £500 challenge/Twitch bandwagon! It would actually be a big motivator to see you do something similar at the same time - must try and out perform that pesky PBKR fella and all that :D.

In all seriousness, I've found doing these kind of things and engaging with the Sky community really rewarding, so would encourage anyone to do the same. It makes for a nice bit of balance against playing a game that ultimately involves trying to separate our opponents from their hard-earned cash in any way we can!
  • Options
    cenachav said:

Best of luck with this. I saw you on one of my tables earlier. Hope I wasn't too brutal on you :)

Thanks @cenachav.

You were being the big stack bully as I recall, but I'll forgive you just this once ;)
  • Options
    MattBates said:

Best of luck with this.
    How often you planning on doing updates?
    Any cash shots or just MTT ones?

Thanks Lord Bates.

There's no specific plan for the frequency of updates. Like most of these things, it'll probably begin with a wave of enthusiasm and regular updates before tapering off into my more standard "Sorry for not posting in a while, couldn't be naffed to play much lately" kind of posts. I'll try and be better than that this time though :).

As for shots, I'm aiming for both cash and MTT shots if/when the roll reasonably allows. That won't preclude me from continuing to play lower if it's right at the time though - it's just plain silly to jump onto a 50nl table full of crushers if there's a spot on a 30nl tables that is super juicy and soft, regardless of how large ones bankroll is.
  • Options
    Time for an update then...

The first day and a bit can be summed up by one word - frustration.

Starting with a £500 roll meant I couldn't have a pop at the Main Event last night, which was frustrating. I did have a light dabble in some of the late afternoon micro stakes tourney's, but I do find those games generally a bit frustrating to be honest.

To try and get the roll growing as fast as possible and alleviate that frustration, I played some long cash sessions into the wee small hours. Traffic gets rather thin at that time and, due to my limited roll, I was unable to jump onto some juicy 30nl tables when pickings were slim at 20nl, so that was rather frustrating too.

To top it all off, I ran exceedingly poorly and got thoroughly bashed-up results wise, which is definitely a frustrating way to start a new challenge.

Perverse as it may seem and, results aside, this frustration is rather welcome. With an unrestricted bankroll and a lack of targets, I quite possibly wouldn't have played in any those games I was frustrated to miss. I'm a big child really and always want what I can't have, so the frustration is fuelling my desire to play and that means this challenge is doing its job. It's the morning of July 2nd as I write this and I have so far accumulated 447 poker points for the month - an amount I was barely making in a week during the previous few months.

The plan for now is to mostly focus on the cash grind because despite the rocky start, I still think it's my best way to get the roll growing quickly. With less than 20 buy-ins for 20nl I'm now very much taking liberties from a BRM perspective, but due to the extortionate 7.5% rake charged at 10nl, I mostly refuse to play those stakes out of principal.

Current Balance: £343.21
  • Options
    A little something in honour of my hero @SR23... :)
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    jondiceSmall blind£0.10£0.10£47.66
    -kinghi-Big blind£0.20£0.30£13.69
    Your hole cards
    • A
    • K
    DuesenbergRaise£0.60£0.90£19.40
    SEATOFold
    BiggBillCall£0.60£1.50£21.25
    DADY613Fold
    jondiceCall£0.50£2.00£47.16
    -kinghi-Fold
    Flop
    • A
    jondiceCheck
    DuesenbergCheck
    BiggBillCheck
    Turn
    jondiceBet£0.60£2.60£46.56
    DuesenbergCall£0.60£3.20£18.80
    BiggBillFold
    River
    • Q
    jondiceBet£1.80£5.00£44.76
    DuesenbergAll-in£18.80£23.80£0.00
    jondiceFold
    DuesenbergMuck
    DuesenbergWin£6.46£6.46
    DuesenbergReturn£17.00£0.34£23.46
  • Options
    SR23SR23 Member Posts: 1,228
    ah, dude, that's a beaut.
  • Options
    LARSON7LARSON7 Member Posts: 4,491
    Good luck with your challenge! Look forward to seeing your hand histories where you 4 bet bluff me ;)
  • Options
    LARSON7 said:

Good luck with your challenge! Look forward to seeing your hand histories where you 4 bet bluff me ;)

Thanks @LARSON7.

4bet bluffs are so 2015. It's the 5bet bluffs you'll really enjoy seeing ;)
  • Options
    lfccarllfccarl Member Posts: 1,489
    when the next stream
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Back in business :)

After my mauling on day one, I had a rather low-key day two and played very little at all. Friday brought the marvellous Twitch debut of @Allan23 to which I gave my full attention, beyond playing the first of the Eliminator freerolls - seeing both @Tedson and @StayOrGo on my opening table did make me quickly double check that I hadn't accidentally registered for the Sheriff instead! No joy there but I did make a smidgen from some fun splashing around in a 4nl game on the tail end of Allan's stream.

With the stream out the way I settled down for another properly focused grind on the overnight 20nl streets. The games were a little wild to say the least but this time the deck decided not to relentlessly kick me in the balls all night long and I managed to claw back all of the previous downswing, plus a tiny bit on top.

I think I'll be almost 100% focused on cash games until Monday when it's my turn to get streaming again. I hate the idea of feeling overly-restricted in terms not being able to play my usual stream games (Main Event and the like), so if I can get the bankroll above £600 by then I'll likely take some small BRM liberties (all for the fans of course ;)).

Current Balance: £514.89
  • Options
    Mad skills on the comeback dude - dropping eight or so buy-ins right at the beginning of a challenge can feel a little bleak but you no doubt did that for the fans: you've created an atmosphere on this diary where you're a friend to the readers first and a poker player second. Probably an entertainer third.

• Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,023
    SR23 said:

Mad skills on the comeback dude - dropping eight or so buy-ins right at the beginning of a challenge can feel a little bleak but you no doubt did that for the fans: you've created an atmosphere on this diary where you're a friend to the readers first and a poker player second. Probably an entertainer third.

Let's not get carried away.
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited July 2020
    Good work on grinding it back. What are your monthly points like? On target for priority?
  • Options
    Allan23Allan23 Member Posts: 865
    SR23 said:

Oooo love me love me. Pathetic
  • Options
    MattBates said:

Good work on grinding it back. What are your monthly points like? On target for priority?

Thanks Matt.

Monthly points total is currently 762, which is a bit behind priority pace.

I'm not really expecting to achieve priority in the first month due to being somewhat handcuffed by my starting roll, so it's not a primary focus. For July I just want to concentrate on growing the roll and actually turning up to grind up a fair bit more often than I had been. If those first goals go well then August is a much more likely proposition for making prio status, although I still wouldn't completely rule it out for July.
  • Options
    Allan23 said:

SR23 said:

Oooo love me love me. Pathetic
    Put, "Dues is a refreshingly laid back streamer for a man with such responsibility."
  • Options
    MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 724
    This is just one big boys' club isn't it? Seedy little men with seedy little jokes.
  • Options
    People watching the stream go, "Why's that funny?" and when Dues tells them they go, "Oh yeah, yeah, you are the best." It's their opinion.