You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Cashless society

124»

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,043
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

rabdeniro said:

For me cash is King, I couldn't wait to get ma pay packet on a Thursday put ma dig money in ma back pocket straight to the pub with ma work mates, there was a guy who sat at the back of the pub taking your bets ( didn't have to run in and out the bookies ) buy a roon give the lassie behind the bar a quid for herself put money in the juke box play the puggy get the cerds oot, money on table, buy ma **** from the machine ( although they ripped you off it was still better than walkin half **** through the town to the shops ) the paperboy comin in with the local rag gettin a few bob tips with every one he selt, kiss the bride comin roon ( there seemed to be bride every night am sure it was the same gal but it got the old yins a kiss ) slip a couple of £ in yer mates back pocket if you knew he was strugglin, give the barmaid a couple of bob to phone a taxi from the phone box for you, collect a Chinese on the way home, halcyon Days indeed.

Took ma sister oot for her birthday on Tuesday, joined by ma wife and ma niece, went to one of these Greene King pubs, up at the bar to buy a roon was informed to give ma table number and square up when we leave, had about £20 in ma pocket and ma card thought that's the boab, first roon of drinks am lookin at the measures ( English measures ) doubles from now on, end of the night got a right glow on ( it was an all day sesh ) al get the bill, BOOM 177 luppins, ah near had a heart attack here was me thinkin we only had a couple of drinks, hands over the card too easy, will need to stay in for a fortnight, drink and cards don't mix, with cash I know how much I have to spend, I spend whats in ma pocket.

Cash for me all day long, I know what I've got to spend, card is too easy.

That is quite funny, but your argument in favour of cash doesnt really stand up, as if you had only spent the £20, your night out would have lasted not quite 5 minutes.
    Cards are fine, just dont be flash.
    That rather presupposes that there is no number between £20 and £177.

People tend to treat spending on cards as less real than cash. There have been plenty of times when I have to translate a purchase into cash, and ask myself whether I would pay that much cash for an item.

PS-"puggy":) I haven't heard that word in ages...
    This is true, but many people are now using cards for many purchases that would have previously been made in cash.
    Its probably just a matter of getting used to it.
    I ended up in a pub the other day.
    I wasnt expecting to be going out, and didnt have loads of cash.
    There were nine of us.
    Some paid cash for their round, others used cards.
    I didnt see any evidence that the cash payers were drinking faster or slower that those that paid by card.
    We would have spent roughly the same amount.

There have been many occasions when I have been in a pub where I have seen people spending cash like it is going out of fashion.
    Usually when they are worse for wear.

On many occasions it is much more convenient to pay by card.
    This will include every internet purchase that you make where there is no choice.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

rabdeniro said:

For me cash is King, I couldn't wait to get ma pay packet on a Thursday put ma dig money in ma back pocket straight to the pub with ma work mates, there was a guy who sat at the back of the pub taking your bets ( didn't have to run in and out the bookies ) buy a roon give the lassie behind the bar a quid for herself put money in the juke box play the puggy get the cerds oot, money on table, buy ma **** from the machine ( although they ripped you off it was still better than walkin half **** through the town to the shops ) the paperboy comin in with the local rag gettin a few bob tips with every one he selt, kiss the bride comin roon ( there seemed to be bride every night am sure it was the same gal but it got the old yins a kiss ) slip a couple of £ in yer mates back pocket if you knew he was strugglin, give the barmaid a couple of bob to phone a taxi from the phone box for you, collect a Chinese on the way home, halcyon Days indeed.

Took ma sister oot for her birthday on Tuesday, joined by ma wife and ma niece, went to one of these Greene King pubs, up at the bar to buy a roon was informed to give ma table number and square up when we leave, had about £20 in ma pocket and ma card thought that's the boab, first roon of drinks am lookin at the measures ( English measures ) doubles from now on, end of the night got a right glow on ( it was an all day sesh ) al get the bill, BOOM 177 luppins, ah near had a heart attack here was me thinkin we only had a couple of drinks, hands over the card too easy, will need to stay in for a fortnight, drink and cards don't mix, with cash I know how much I have to spend, I spend whats in ma pocket.

That is quite funny, but your argument in favour of cash doesnt really stand up, as if you had only spent the £20, your night out would have lasted not quite 5 minutes.

People tend to treat spending on cards as less real than cash. There have been plenty of times when I have to translate a purchase into cash, and ask myself whether I would pay that much cash for an item.

I take my family out for a meal at Christmas.
    My bank has closed the local branch.
    I have a limit of £250 per day on my card.
    So paying cash would mean 2 trips to the cashpoint beforehand.
    Or one trip into Swansea to visit the nearest branch.
    Together with the hassle of finding a parking space etc.
    Or I can just pay by card.
    These days I dont need cash for the 2 cabs, I can pay for them by card as well.
    I just need a few quid in cash for tips.
    Much more convenient.
    I dont think any of them drink or eat any more because I pay by card.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

rabdeniro said:

I can recall another incident from many years ago.
    I was working in Scotland, and obviously staying away from home.
    I had a fairly large win on the horses.
    The company I worked for owned a resort bordering a golf course.
    I therefore celebrated the win with a number of workmates in the Clubhouse.
    Celebrations dragged on until the early hours.
    We were all legless.
    On my return to the lodge I was staying in, I managed to find a shopping channel.
    I had never watched one before, and fortunately not since either.
    I spent a total of £3,500.
    I bought various items, including Egyptian cotton towels, sheets, crockery, 3 cases of Chilean wine, 2 cases of South African, photo printer, George Foreman grill, 5 pairs of cufflinks, lucky gold ring with a horse shoe on it, 9 wrist watches, etc.
    Neither of us have ever drunk any wine.
    Unfortunately I was reminded of the error of my ways each time I called home over the subsequent 3 weeks.
    As Mrs Hayes battered the sh1t out of me on a daily basis, as each new delivery arrived.
    These purchases were made using a card.
    As much as I would like to blame the card, I cant.
    I will put the incident down to my own stupidity, and the evils of drink, rather than the use of a card.

I think that it is quite common for people to find that their spending becomes more erratic under the influence, whether they are using cash, or a card.
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,223
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

rabdeniro said:

When ma old man used to stoat in from the pub he would always say " Am as foo as a puggy ".
  • Options
    It's a great feeling to have a wad of notes in yer tail, bank card means nothing.
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,025
    It will be a modern day ration card.

• Options
    rabdeniro said:

It's a great feeling to have a wad of notes in yer tail, bank card means nothing.

Do you think it is the same for youngsters today, that have probably never had a pay packet, and have probably been paid directly into their bank account since they started work.

I can remember my early days of selling double glazing as a commission only sales person.
    Not all of the people I worked with had bank accounts, and very few paid tax.
    We got paid by cheque.
    So to get over the no bank account problem our boss had an arrangement with Barclays in Neath, where anyone that worked for the company could cash their cheque over the counter.
    Some of us earned a lot of money.
    I remember coming out of Barclays with some huge wads of cash.
    This was back in the early 80s.
    Happy days.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

rabdeniro said:

Do you think it is the same for youngsters today, that have probably never had a pay packet, and have probably been paid directly into their bank account since they started work.

I can remember my early days of selling double glazing as a commission only sales person.
    We got paid by cheque.
    So to get over the no bank account problem our boss had an arrangement with Barclays in Neath, where anyone that worked for the company could cash their cheque over the counter.
    Happy days.
    I think that a lot of problems come from not dealing with actual cash, I think a lot of people who have been brought up in the card culture don't see it as actual money and get in to debt where as if you have cash in front of you that's what you have to spend.
    If you have a credit card at 18/19 years old a lot of people go mental, start living like a king I'll pay it back at the end of the month, no will do it next month, next minute you're up shyte creek without a paddle
  • Options
    rabdeniro said:

HAYSIE said:

rabdeniro said:

We got paid by cheque.
    Happy days.
    I think that a lot of problems come from not dealing with actual cash, I think a lot of people who have been brought up in the card culture don't see it as actual money and get in to debt where as if you have cash in front of you that's what you have to spend.
    If you have a credit card at 18/19 years old a lot of people go mental, start living like a king I'll pay it back at the end of the month, no will do it next month, next minute you're up shyte creek without a paddle
    I wouldnt disagree with that.