You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Anyone Famous Go To Your Old School?

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,524
edited October 2020 in The Rail
I fell over this article when looking for something else.
Incredibly the first photo in the article that included any people was that of my class, in my first year.
This served as a reminder of how much of a desperate disappointment I must have been to them, and is evidence of the fact that I still had a full head of hair in those days.
Interesting, but sad to note that Tea Cosy Pete and the Archbishop of Canterbury were in the same class.
Needless to say that the radar bloke, and the nuclear bomb fella were long before my time.

The vanished Swansea school with a quite remarkable list of former pupils
Dynevor School in Swansea helped produce stars of comedy, music, science and sport, a future archbishop...and had a teacher known as 'Reeking Rita Roberts'

A contemporary of Rowan Williams, and born Brian Boswell, although his name changed early in life to Brian Burford. Described as very bright by his school contemporaries, he nevertheless failed to get the examination results he needed to get into Oxford University, and coupled with the loss of his brother and step-father, he chose to pursue an alternative lifestyle - by living on the streets for most of his adult life.

A familiar figure on the streets of Swansea, particularly Castle Square, he died in 2015 aged 66. His nickname was taken from the hat he wore at all times, and his image features on a mural on the wall of The Three Lamps pub in Castle Square.

Rowan Williams was Archbishop of Canterbury for ten years

A Welsh Anglican bishop, theologian and poet, who was the 104th Archbishop of Canterbury between 2002 and 2012, the principal leader of the Church of England and the symbolic head of the worldwide Anglican Communion, which has 85 million members. He now sits in the House of Lords as Baron Williams of Oystermouth.

Spencer Davis.

Founder of sixties beat band, The Spencer Davis Group, who had number ones with Keep On running and Somebody Help Me.

Harry Secombe.

The comedian, actor and singer was a member of the legendary British radio comedy programme The Goon Show alongside Spike Milligan and Peter Sellers, playing many characters, but most notably, Neddie Seagoon. An accomplished tenor, he also appeared in musicals and in later years was a presenter of religious television shows.

Jeremy Charles.

The son of football legend Mel, and nephew of John, Jeremy played for Swansea City, Oxford United, and Queens Park Rangers, as well as representing his country.

Nigel Evans MP.

Julian Lewis MP.

Mal Pope

The musician and composer was signed by Elton John while still in school. He has written songs for Cliff Richard and The Hollies, and toured with Art Garfunkel and Belinda Carlise. He is a radio and television presenter, including on an eponymous music chat-show which won a number of Welsh BAFTA Awards, and has written musicals, Amazing Grace, Contender, and Cappuccino Girls. He jointly runs YJB Films, which produced critically acclaimed film Jack To A King.

Steve Balsamo.

A singer and songwriter who played Jesus Christ Superstar in London’s West End during the 1990s. Frontman of The Storys, which toured the UK and Europe, as well as supporting Elton John, Katie Melua, and Joe Cocker, he has written songs for Meatloaf, Slash, Cliff Richard, and worked with Jon Lord of Deep Purple, as well as Americana and country duo Balsamo Deighton.

Tony Kiley.

After moving to London, Tony had a string of worldwide hits as part of The Blow Monkeys, with four albums and eleven singles in the UK charts from 1986 to 1990. After leaving the band he became a sought after session musician, playing alongside artists including George Michael, Chris de Burgh, Alison Moyet, Curtis Mayfield and Glenn Fry.

John Quirk

The arranger, composer, conductor, singer, pianist and bass guitarist has worked with Bryn Terfel, Rebecca Evans, Cerys Matthews, Catrin Finch, Gwyn Hughes-Jones, Wynne Evans, John Owen-Jones, Larry Adler, Ruth Jones, and a host of stars. He has also worked with BBC National Orchestra of Wales and conducted The orchestra of Welsh National Opera, the Danish Radio Orchestra, the Chamber Orchestra of Wales, and the Welsh Session orchestra. He has widespread experience in television and theatre and is musical director for John Owen Jones.

David Mercer
The broadcaster won the Welsh Junior Doubles tennis title in 1968, and qualified as a solicitor, practising in Swansea. From 1973 to 1984 he umpired at Wimbledon, notably the men's singles final in 1984, won by John McEnroe against Jimmy Connors, as well as Davis Cup ties and other tournaments, before becoming a full-time broadcaster.

He has commentated on tennis for BBC on both radio and television, including the Wimbledon men’s singles finals in 1999 and 2000. He is also a regular commentator for the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships.

Dudley Sinnett.
The former professor of breast surgery at Imperial College London, he became a consultant at the Institute of Cancer Research and honour consultant surgeon at the Royal Marsden Hospital. He was the consultant breast surgeon and director of breast services at Charing Cross Hospital, and has been quality assurance surgeon for the National Breast Screening programme in London.

Dudley has been the national secretary of the British Association of surgical oncology and helped produce national surgical guidelines for the treatment of breast cancer.

Previously a member of the Medical Advisory Committee of Breast Cancer Care, in 2018 he became chairman of the board of trustees of Breast Cancer Haven, a national charity supporting patients who have breast cancer.

Judge Stuart Batcup.
A district judge who worked on cases across Wales for more than two decades. First on the Wales and Chester circuit, mainly at Neath, before transferring to the Surrey group of the south eastern circuit, mainly at Staines on Thames.

Percy Morris MP
The trade unionist and former railway man was an Alderman of Swnsea and Justice of the Peace, and Deputy Regional Commissioner for Civil Defence in the Wales Region, before being elected Labour MP for Swansea West in 1945, an office he served in until 1959.

Edward ‘Taffy’ Bowen
The ‘father of airborne radar’ was born in 1911 in Cockett. After Dynevor he went to UC Swansea, and began a career as a physicist, making a major contribution to the development of airborne radar, making it small enough to fit into aircraft, which helped win both the Battle of Britain and the Battle of the Atlantic. After the war he continued to make contributions to peace-time applications of radar and radio astronomy.

TJ Rees

The director of education in Swansea for much of the first half of the 19th century, he was a major force in the founding of Swansea University, and building the training college at Mount Pleasant.

Percy White

Born in 1916 and attended Dynevor before graduating from University College Swansea with honours in chemistry. He worked for the Ministry of Supply where he developed a much less labour intensive method of filling shells with high explosive, before moving to Aldermaston where he contributed to the development of Britain’s first atomic bomb in October, 1952, tested off the coast of Australia.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/vanished-swansea-school-quite-remarkable-15789966

Comments

• chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
    edited October 2020
    Year below me.

4rows up, seven from the left.

Year above me.

I might need to investigate further.
    Within half a mile, The Jam had their schooling, Rick Parfitt lived in a road off the end of mine,
    John Alderton, Pauline Collins,Ed Stewart, Delia Smith, Ron Dennis. Can’t claim those, but locals class all famous as their own,as you do. So, just the two, so far........
    I’d better add that Mr Bates was only in the Primary school with moi for two years.
    He passed the 11+ and off he went.

A bit Welsh too🙄
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 158,860

Good thread @HAYSIE
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,524
    Tikay10 said:

Good thread @HAYSIE

Thanks.
  • rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,212

She went to ma school.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 158,860

@rabdeniro

Who is she - one of the Chuckle brothers?
  • rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,212
    Tikay10 said:

@rabdeniro

Who is she - one of the Chuckle brothers?

Most folk call her a Krankie.
  • kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,526
    Apparently quite a few famous people have come out of my school but I can't say I'd ever heard of many of them.

Nick Anstee, Lord Mayor of London

John Cecil, 5th Earl of Exeter, MP for Stamford, Grand Tourist and connoisseur

William Cecil, 1st Baron Burghley, Lord High Treasurer of England and chief advisor to Queen Elizabeth I

Sir Malcolm Sargent, conductor

Sir Michael Tippett, composer

Michael Asher FRSL, author and explorer

Torben Betts, playwright

Nelson Dawson, silversmith, jeweller, designer, etcher and painter of the Arts and Crafts movement.

Colin Dexter, OBE, author of the Inspector Morse detective novels; Morse is described as an Old Stamfordian

Robert Clift, gold medal winning hockey player at the 1988 Seoul Olympics

Simon Hodgkinson, England international rugby

Mark James, golfer and captain European Ryder Cup team

Shan Masood, Pakistan test cricketer

M. J. K. Smith, England international rugby, England international cricket captain

Iwan Thomas, MBE Olympic athlete

Gizz Butt, former live guitarist for The Prodigy
  • Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    Is that Nichola Sturgeon or Jimmy Krankie?

Apparently quite a few famous people have come out of my school but I can't say I'd ever heard of many of them.

William Cecil, 1st Baron Burghley, Lord High Treasurer of England and chief advisor to Queen Elizabet

Torben Betts, playwright

Nelson Dawson, silversmith, jeweller, designer, etcher and painter of the Arts and Crafts movement.

Colin Dexter, OBE, author of the Inspector Morse detective novels; Morse is described as an Old Stamfordian

M. J. K. Smith, England international rugby, England international cricket captain

That makes sense, famous people that you have never heard of.

• kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,526
    HAYSIE said:

William Cecil, 1st Baron Burghley, Lord High Treasurer of England and chief advisor to Queen Elizabet

Torben Betts, playwright

Well, my grandad has never heard of Brad Pitt, but thinks John Wayne is the most famous person of all time.

HAYSIE said:

Michael Asher FRSL, author and explor

Torben Betts, playwright

Well, my grandad has never heard of Brad Pitt, but thinks John Wayne is the most famous person of all time.
    Fair point.
  • MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,147
    Phantom66 said:

Is that Nichola Sturgeon or Jimmy Krankie?

ONE and the SAME aren't they? ;):D:D
    SEB COE was 5 or 6 years above me at Tapton School in Sheffield.

I was in the same year as his brother Nick, and we used to do Cross-Country running for the school (would you believe!). He wasn't as good as his brother, but I've just looked him up on t'internet, as I know he was high up in LEVI STRAUSS. He's now worth more than $18 million .....sigh

RICK SAVAGE ....guitarist with Rock group DEF LEPPARD (they used to play at our School Youth Club), was the year above me at school. We used to play Golf and Football together. I'll never forget him having a PINK Slazenger Golf Bag. Something I reminded him of the last time I bumped into him. :D

Seeing the piccy of LAURA DAVIES above ........ I used to play and practice Golf at my Club (Hallamshire GC), with her best mate ALISON NICHOLAS who went on to win the U.S.Open
    ......and I grew up playing golf alongside SKY SPORTS Analyst and Commentator 'my name's MARK ROE'

Fun Times :)

Great thread Tony @HAYSIE
  • waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,012
    Dawn French was briefly a student at my school, for about a year apparently as she moved around a lot due to her Dad being in the Military.

Kevin Clifton (Strictly Come Dancing) was in the year below me.
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,615
    Mark Bright the former Vale and Palace footballer went my school
    MISTY4ME said:

I was in the same year as his brother Nick, and we used to do Cross-Country running for the school (would you believe!). He wasn't as good as his brother, but I've just looked him up on t'internet, as I know he was high up in LEVI STRAUSS. He's now worth more than $18 million .....sigh

RICK SAVAGE ....guitarist with Rock group DEF LEPPARD (they used to play at our School
    Youth Club), was the year above me at school. We used to play Golf and Football together. I'll never forget him having a PINK Slazenger Golf Bag. Something I reminded him of the last time I bumped into him. :D

Seeing the piccy of LAURA DAVIES above ........ I used to play and practice Golf at my Club (Hallamshire GC), with her best mate ALISON NICHOLAS who went on to win the U.S.Open
    ......and I grew up playing golf alongside SKY SPORTS Analyst and Commentator 'my name's MARK ROE'

I believed every word of it, up until you mentioned your cross country running.

I expect you used to beat Seb Coe over 800m as well.
    I used to work with Jeremy Tilson, the famous cross country runner.
    I am not sure exactly how many times he won the Great North Run.
    edited October 2020
    HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

RICK SAVAGE ....guitarist with Rock group DEF LEPPARD (they used to play at our

School
    Youth Club), was the year above me at school. We used to play Golf and Football together. I'll never forget him having a PINK Slazenger Golf Bag. Something I reminded him of the last time I bumped into him. :D

I believed every word of it, up until you mentioned your cross country running.

I expect you used to beat Seb Coe over 800m as well.
    OBVIOUSLY ;)

.........though I only used to do 1 circuit!

I think what would be FUN is guessing which one is @HAYSIE in the Class Photos in OP

I'm going for the kid farthest right, 2nd Row, with the Jam Jar bottom Glasses ..... and NO friends (2nd Class photo)

Some things never change :D
  • madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,296
    Brian Bithell, the only boy from my school year football team to make it at professional football...though to be fair, making it big time is all relative...he signed for Stoke City in 73, left in 77 and played very few first team games... @maxally ? @stokefc ??