You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

On This Day.

1363738394042»

Comments

  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 4,248
    lucy4 said:

    JOE JACKSON - IT’S DIFFERENT FOR GIRLS.

    This week in 1979 saw the release of I'M THE MAN - THE 7-INCH ALBUM, Joe Jackson’s complete second album issued as 5 x 7"-single in a 7"-box with poster, (November 1979)




    Another underrated performer who done some great songs.

    Huge fan.

    Excellent in loads of different genres. Done some Classical, 3 superb jazz albums (ever wondered how Steve Vai and Iggy Pop would cover great jazz songs?).

    And anyone who can do great pop songs like "I'm the Man" and "Kinda Kute", as well as co-writing/performing "Left of Center" with Suzanne Vega deserves a wider audience.

    Nominated for 5 Grammies, too.
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 4,159
    TEARS OF A CLOWN, the debut single by THE BEAT turns 42 today.

    On this date in 1979, THE BEAT released their debut single, a cover of Smokey Robinson's TEARS OF A CLOWN, (November 24th, 1979).

  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 4,159
    THE SPECIALS - GANGSTERS

    On this date in 1983, Two-Tone Records released the compilation LP, THIS ARE TWO TONE, (November 27th, 1983).

    Serving to highlight the high energy of the early 80s ska-revival as well as the depth of the label's roster, ‘This are Two Tone’ offered six tracks from The Specials, three from The Selecter, two from The Beat, and one each from Madness, The Bodysnatchers, The Swinging Cats, Rico and Rhoda Dakar.

  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 4,159
    On this date in 1981, THE FUN BOY THREE released their debut single THE LUNATICS (HAVE TAKEN OVER THE ASYLUM) (November 27th 1981).

  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 4,159
    This date in 1981 saw the re-release of THE MODEL by KRAFTWERK as a double A-side single with COMPUTER LOVE, (December 18th 1981).

    Originally issued as the track DAS MODEL (later DAS MODELL) on the 1978 album DIE MENSCH-MASCHINE (‘The Man-Machine’), the song was issued as a German single the same year coupled with the track ‘Neonlicht’ (‘Neon Lights’).


  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 5,799
    lucy4 said:

    This date in 1981 saw the re-release of THE MODEL by KRAFTWERK as a double A-side single with COMPUTER LOVE, (December 18th 1981).

    Originally issued as the track DAS MODEL (later DAS MODELL) on the 1978 album DIE MENSCH-MASCHINE (‘The Man-Machine’), the song was issued as a German single the same year coupled with the track ‘Neonlicht’ (‘Neon Lights’).


    I preferred Tangerine Dream
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 4,159
    Happy Christmas to all the non political correct people of the 1970's of which I'm glad to be one.

  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 4,248
    lucy4 said:

    Happy Christmas to all the non political correct people of the 1970's of which I'm glad to be one.

    Merry Xmas @lucy4 and all the readers of this excellent thread. I haven't heard that in years-can quite see why :)

    By way of revenge, here is my favourite Christmas joke of the time, which (for good reason) I haven't told for many years. So....

    It was Easter at Santa's Grotto. Sales had not gone well, and surplus stock was proving hard to shift. Santa has sent some fairies out to flog Xmas trees.

    One fairy comes back after a full day "selling" to the big shops. Santa said "How many Xmas trees have you sold today?" "None" she replied. "Why is that?" "Well, Santa, er, I ask to speak to the Manager, and I, er, ask if he could possibly see his way to taking some, er, trees..." "Stop right there" said Santa. "you have to be more confident and direct".

    The next day the fairy strides confidently into the store. "Oi!" she said "Where do you want me to put this Xmas tree?"

    And that, dear children, is why you will find the fairy positioned where it is on the Xmas tree. To remember exactly what happened next...
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 4,248
    My youngest has just reminded me....

    "Dad, are you going to put the Xmas tree up yourself this year?"

    "No-I was thinking it could go in the Living Room this year..."
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 4,159
    edited December 2021
    Essexphil said:

    lucy4 said:

    Happy Christmas to all the non political correct people of the 1970's of which I'm glad to be one.

    Merry Xmas @lucy4 and all the readers of this excellent thread. I haven't heard that in years-can quite see why :)

    By way of revenge, here is my favourite Christmas joke of the time, which (for good reason) I haven't told for many years. So....

    It was Easter at Santa's Grotto. Sales had not gone well, and surplus stock was proving hard to shift. Santa has sent some fairies out to flog Xmas trees.

    One fairy comes back after a full day "selling" to the big shops. Santa said "How many Xmas trees have you sold today?" "None" she replied. "Why is that?" "Well, Santa, er, I ask to speak to the Manager, and I, er, ask if he could possibly see his way to taking some, er, trees..." "Stop right there" said Santa. "you have to be more confident and direct".

    The next day the fairy strides confidently into the store. "Oi!" she said "Where do you want me to put this Xmas tree?"

    And that, dear children, is why you will find the fairy positioned where it is on the Xmas tree. To remember exactly what happened next...
    That took me about 6 times to read before I got it (8 bottles of Henry Weston's Vintage Cider didn't help) but in the end I did. Seasons Greetings to you and yours.
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 4,159
    Another Christmas classic that you won't hear on the radio.

    PETER & THE TEST TUBE BABIES - I'M GETTING **** FOR CHRISTMAS
    As seasonally unsophisticated as you would expect and hope for, PETER & THE TEST TUBE BABIES deliver the true meaning of the festive season with I'M GETTING **** FOR CHRISTMAS.

  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 4,159
    Today's festive little ditty.

  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 4,159
    THE REGENTS - 7TEEN (1979)
    British new wave outfit THE REGENTS scored a No. 11 hit with the single 7TEEN in 1979.
    The group consisted of Bic Brack, Brian Gaylor, Catherine Best, Damian Pew and Martin Sheller.
    "One-hit wonders simply do not come any better than this piece of observational sexual politics-pop which stormed into the UK Top Twenty around Christmas 1979,"

  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 4,159
    On this date in 1989, THE STONE ROSES performed WATERFALL on the Tony Wilson hosted show 'The Other Side of Midnight', (January 15th 1989).
    The clip begins with Wilson introducing the band, one that he admitted he'd previously “seriously disliked” for their “rock ’n’ roll stance”. After hearing their Elephant Stone single, he changed his mind.
    “’89 begins, then, with a complete admission of error on my part - big apologies,” announced Wilson.
    “Fifth Rose” Cressa, the Roses’ own Bez, dances away in the background.

Sign In or Register to comment.