You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

George Floyd killing the trial.

DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,706
As people may or may not be aware the trial over the alleged murder of George Floyd is currently going on. This trial is likely to be the trial of the decade, if not century and will very likely have huge historical connotations whichever way the outcome goes.

I am trying to watch as much of it as I can so I can remain informed.

So far I remain of the opinion that it was deliberate intentional murder and that the cop will likely be acquitted. as for whether the alleged murder had racial motivation I am unable to determine because I dont know how I could verify this. without info on the cops views which I am assuming are not publicly available.

I feel this should be discussed since it will have a very big impact on the world as a whole.

Comments

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,111
    "Deliberate intentional murder"? Probably not. But probably some form of what we would call Manslaughter (or Culpable Homicide in Scotland).

Will he be acquitted? Probably not. But I'm betting all sides will remain unhappy afterwards.

Important case, undoubtedly. At least in America.

To lighten the mood, 1 of my favourite Law jokes about another celebrated case:-

"Knock, knock."
    "Who's there?"
    "OJ."
    "OJ who?"
    "Welcome to the jury."
  • Options
    from hearing witness testimony it seems like intentional killing to me. However I am not a qualified lawyer like yourself and remain unaware of what level of evidence is needed to confirm intent with regards to killing.

I understand its a tough issue as if the police are penalised to often then it can handicap them and leave them scared to do their job in altercations where force is necessary.
    On the flip side here we put trust in the police and police have a position of power and how can people feel safe if the police abuse this?

Ultimately I believe this should be resolved based on the evidence of the case and I feel of what I have seen so far the cop who alleged murdered George Floyd deserves either live without parole or the death penalty.

I think with that in mind I will likely not feel like justice has been served once this trial is concluded.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    I think he'll go down for manslaughter.

The defence will attempt to throw Floyd under a bus, but the video footage is damning (and sickening)

Be very pleasantly surprised (for want of a better expression) if he is found guilty of murder; see what comes out in the wash of the trial.

Saw some footage of the opening statements from prosecution and defence....one sounded confident and the other a little flustered. Doesn't take a genius to work out which was which.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    My qualifications are irrelevant.

Different country. Different state. Different rules.

My guess is he will be convicted of the equivalent of Manslaughter. And all sides will go berserk. Because all sides seem to think that the jury and legal arguments are irrelevant in matters like this.

My purely personal point of view is that Manslaughter would be right. Part of the problem is the power given to police in the US, as well as what happened. That is why bystanders (including other Officers) felt they could do nothing.

The most important thing is not retribution. But systemic change.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,268

I watched most of Day One.

One of the witnesses was an absolute car crash.

https://twitter.com/search?q=#AlishaOyler&src=typeahead_click

• Options

Lawyer: Where are you from?

AlishaOyler: Arizona

Lawyer: what part?

Alisha: Arizona

Lawyer: all of Arizona, the whole state?

Alisha: Yes
  • Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,556
    Tikay10 said:

Lawyer: Where are you from?

AlishaOyler: Arizona

Lawyer: what part?

Alisha: Arizona

Lawyer: all of Arizona, the whole state?

Alisha: Yes

@Tikay10 She has a house on wheels which can move around Arizona. I dont see the problem. 😂
  • Options

If anyone wants to watch the Trial "Live", in real time, it's being shown on Court TV, Channel 179 on Sky.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

I watched most of Day One.

One of the witnesses was an absolute car crash.

https://twitter.com/search?q=#AlishaOyler&src=typeahead_click

yeah I saw that it was a car crash its difficult though as this is very high pressure and they are been asked to recall something that happened a long time ago without any notes. but yeah she was useless and irrelevant as a witness to either side.

btw you can also find live coverage on sky via youtube which is what I am watching.
  • Options
    seen the store video George Floyd clearly looks high on something and he is a big guy, I dont think though that taking a substance that may be illegal and allegedly using a fake bill justifies been killed.

from what I have gathered from witness testimony so far it seems the police officer was told multiple times by multiple people that he was endangering the guys life and just either did not care or wanted the kill.

If the cop gets acquitted it will be a huge outrage.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,655
    I hope he goes down for a very long time but i don't think he wanted to kill him , why would anybody risk basically the rest of their life in prison, even racists wouldn't go that far surely unless you're Hitler or someone of that ilk
  • Options
    stokefc said:

I hope he goes down for a very long time but i don't think he wanted to kill him , why would anybody risk basically the rest of their life in prison, even racists wouldn't go that far surely unless you're Hitler or someone of that ilk

Completely agree.

If this State is like many others, the key question may well be whether he intended to cause him serious harm. And that is going to be far closer.
  • Options
    The video evidence is just way, way too damning.

The defence can throw out any number of reasons why Floyd might have passed away (drugs, enlarged heart, Covid....all red herrings) but an officer was filmed kneeling on his neck for 9 minutes, using the weight of his body as he casually had his hands in his pockets and ignored pleas from pedestrians and Floyd himself.

Whether the defendant set out that day to murder a suspect, black or otherwise, we'll never know and in all probability it's unlikely. That doesn't exonerate Chauvin's actions though.

But to ignore a subdued man who is literally fighting for every last breath as you slowly choke him to death on the road....I really hope the prosecution can convince the jury of the (perceived intent) and get the book thrown at him.
  • Options

It was a very tough watch tonight.

At least we can answer the key question though. Excessive force? Absolutely.
  • Options
    I have tried to approach this with an open mind and be completely impartial whilst I watched trial, because I am aware media can sensationalise things, and the mob can get whipped up.

However in this case it just gets more and more damning the more I watch.I just cannot see any reasonable way the his actions can be justified.

If this guy gets acquitted there will be riots and protests world wide. Rightly so to.
    The only debate to be had in my eyes is whether Chauvin should get the death penalty or life without parole.

• Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,036
    I hope they investigate their previous relationship as they worked in the same bar/club.
  • Options
    VespaPX said:

I hope they investigate their previous relationship as they worked in the same bar/club.

In the hope it might excuse Chauvin's actions?
  • Options
    Watched some of the live trial yesterday.

Seems the defence is all over the place with a scattergun approach; trying to use the crowd, the neighbourhood to go down the line of the officer's safety being in question (lol)

They also want Floyd to have been alive as long as possible, so 'ideally' for their case he passed away in the ambulance and not under the knee of Chauvin.

Unfortunately for them, the medical response witnesses were very aware that he was effectively dead on their arrival and any subsequent attempts to resuscitate him were futile.
    He was alive upon being taken to the ground, and died under the knee of Chauvin, who didn't at any point attempt any first aid or medical care and he actually threatened someone who tried to help.
    The image of the medic trying to take Floyd's pulse with the knee still on his neck is just gross.

Not looking good for the defence, and it seems Chauvin's own police colleagues ain't gonna do him any favours.

See what today brings.
  • Options
    kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,530
    Apparently Chauvin's defense team will be praising Chauvin's restraint in not killing any of the bystanders who tried to intervene.
  • Options

Apparently Chauvin's defense team will be praising Chauvin's restraint in not killing any of the bystanders who tried to intervene.

I legit cant tell if that is sarcasm or they will really be going down that line. This is one of the clearest cases ever.

I now think the most appropriate action is to hang Derek Chauvin in the public square whilst the public throw rotten fruit and veg at him as he chokes to death.

However I know this is not realistic so I hope he gets 40 years the max sentence.