You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Vaccine Passports.

13»

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,129
    Tedson said:

Really strange noises coming from Johnson about the vaccines. It might be him trying to nudge people into acting more cautiously, but it seems reckless to potentially undermine the vaccines like this.

I also wonder if he has half an eye on the future enquiry, when questions about the efficacy of lockdowns and the enormous damage they do will be raised.

^^^^ this

@Tedson

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    Tikay10 said:

Tedson said:

Really strange noises coming from Johnson about the vaccines. It might be him trying to nudge people into acting more cautiously, but it seems reckless to potentially undermine the vaccines like this.

I also wonder if he has half an eye on the future enquiry, when questions about the efficacy of lockdowns and the enormous damage they do will be raised.

^^^^ this

@Tedson

IMHO I think the reason for this is different.
    I don't think Boris is overly worried about any future enquiry. What is it going to say?
    "Started awfully,blah, almost unique position, blah, lessons learned, blah, did a lot better in 2021 than 2020."

It will take years, cost millions, run to 1000 pages, get debated lots, but it is likely to boil down to that. Not saying it should. Just that it will.

So-why do I think Boris is bigging up lockdown in comparison to vaccines?

The first (and relatively minor) point is that commentators seem to be doing the reverse. Both have been/will be important.

The main reason? That would be the Covid Recovery Group (CRG) of 50-70 MPs. They are making lots of demands. The 2 main ones are this. Firstly, they demand that, wherever possible, we act quicker coming out of lockdown. And that we need to have good reasons not to do so. Secondly, they openly say that, if ever we take a single step towards reimposing lockdown measures, they will seek to remove Boris from being Leader of the Party.

Now-I would like to think that Boris is doing what is best for the country.
    But I am pretty confident that Boris is doing what is best for Boris.

He wants to take slower forward steps. Because he dare not risk taking a backward one.
  • Options
    TedsonTedson Member Posts: 60
    Interesting. You could well be right. If he goes back on his pledge that the lockdown easing will be irreversible then he's politically finished, unless the Covid situation has changed dramatically.

The only thing that we can be sure about is that 'Boris is doing what is best for Boris'.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,968
    Spain, Portugal and Greece make plans to throw open borders to vaccinated Britons within weeks - as UK ministers rush through plans to launch Covid passports next month to help restart travel industry

The European Union 's ban on visitors is not expected to apply to the UK because of its world-leading jab programme that has seen more than 33million get one dose and 10million of those receive both doses already (top right). The plans, code named 'gettogether' in Brussels, should allow vaccinated travellers to travel freely and avoid tests and quarantine, bringing hope to millions desperate to go abroad on holiday or to see family this summer for the first time in more than a year. Officials from the EU's 27 member states held their first meeting this week to discuss the plans but are already said to have decided that vaccination rates will be the key metric when deciding who can visit the bloc. Insiders say Britain will 'certainly' be among the first to be allowed in through the vaccine passport scheme, with June touted as a start date. The country's case was helped further yesterday when its infection rate (bottom right) fell out of the 20 worst-hit countries for excess deaths during the coronavirus pandemic, for the first time. In tandem with EU countries opening up for all vaccinated British travellers in around six weeks time, UK travel industry sources claim they have been told Covid passports are expected to be brought in from next month as Michael Gove was sent to Israel to study their 'green pass' app as a potential model. Greece has already dropped its quarantine rules for travellers from more than 30 nations if they have been vaccinated or tested negative for Covid-19 from May 15 - two days before Brits can travel again. More than 20 other countries, including Spain, Croatia, Turkey, Portugal and Cyprus, have suggested that they may ask arrivals for vaccination proof.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9497825/Spain-Portugal-Greece-make-plans-throw-open-borders-vaccinated-Britons-weeks.html
  • Options
  • Options
    edited July 2021
  • Options
  • Options