You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

BBC Coverage.

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,751
BBC’s Prince Philip coverage breaks UK TV complaints record

The BBC’s wall-to-wall coverage of Prince Philip’s death has become the most complained-about moment in British television history, as viewers expressed their annoyance that shows such as EastEnders and MasterChef were replaced with royal tributes.

At least 110,994 people have contacted the BBC to express their displeasure at the decision to turn most of the corporation’s TV channels and radio stations over to rolling tributes to the Queen’s husband.

BBC One and BBC Two dedicated Friday evening’s programming to Philip, and their ratings fell as viewers switched off altogether, turned to streaming services or watched shows such as Gogglebox on Channel 4.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/bbc-prince-philip-coverage-breaks-163952611.html

Comments

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,669
    edited April 2021
    Think there is some merit to the complaints. Not only did BBC1 & BBC2 devote their entire output on Friday to it, but BBC Four actually CLOSED for the day, with no output at all. Quite why that was necessary I'm not sure. I think the BBC believed that was the "respectful" thing to do.

I'm a huge fan of the BBC, but I think they misjudged the nation's mood badly here.
  • tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,723
    Tikay10 said:

Think there is some merit to the complaints. Not only did BBC1 & BBC2 devote their entire output on Friday to it, but BBC Four actually CLOSED for the day, with no output at all. Quite why that was necessary I'm not sure. I think the BBC believed that was the "respectful" thing to do.

I'm a huge fan of the BBC, but I think they misjudged the nation's mood badly here.

When the majority of the population would rather watch Eastenders , and rush to the pub at one minute past midnight to get their fix of alcohol ( which is available in shops) it’s difficult to please the masses . 🙄
    Kinda sad reflection of society.

@tomgoodun

It is sad Tom (arguably) but times are changing, & respect for people who have passed away is much less than it used to be.

The last funeral I went to the mourners turned up in all sorts of weird clothes, including trackie bottoms & trainers. I'm not being snobby or elitist here, but I would not dream of turning up at a funeral unless I was wearing the traditional funeral apparel - black suit, white shirt, black tie, polished black shoes.

I'm not saying it's a good or a bad thing, just that times have changed, but the BBC maybe not.
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,751
    tomgoodun said:

Tikay10 said:

When the majority of the population would rather watch Eastenders , and rush to the pub at one minute past midnight to get their fix of alcohol ( which is available in shops) it’s difficult to please the masses . 🙄
    I think you are missing the point completely.
    The complaints were about the amount of coverage.
    I dont suppose that many people will have watched the 5 or 6 hours coverage on BBC1, while simultaneously recording the 5 or 6 hours coverage on BBC 2, in order to watch it at a later date.
    They would surely have received less complaints, had they dedicated one channel, for those that wished to watch it in great detail, while continuing normal programming on all their other channels.

This is a huge number of complaints, when you consider that the vast majority of us will grin and bear it, rather than complain.
    HAYSIE said:

tomgoodun said:

Tikay10 said:

I dont suppose that many people will have watched the 5 or 6 hours coverage on BBC1, while simultaneously recording the 5 or 6 hours coverage on BBC 2, in order to watch it at a later date.
    They would surely have received less complaints, had they dedicated one channel, for those that wished to watch it in great detail, while continuing normal programming on all their other channels.

This is a huge number of complaints, when you consider that the vast majority of us will grin and bear it, rather than complain.
    I didn’t miss the point.
    If they dedicated a single channel ( say BBC1) the complaints would still flood in ( IMO ) due to people’s ‘ normal ‘ viewing being interrupted.
    Sad .
    tomgoodun said:

HAYSIE said:

tomgoodun said:

Tikay10 said:

I didn’t miss the point.
    If they dedicated a single channel ( say BBC1) the complaints would still flood in ( IMO ) due to people’s ‘ normal ‘ viewing being interrupted.
    Sad .
    Although, had they dedicated BBC2, then there would have been far fewer complaints.
    BBC 2 obviously gets far fewer viewers, and those that would wish to watch 6 hours of coverage would also be in the minority.
    To have blanket coverage on both main channels, and take another off the air was ill judged, and this was supported by the record number of complaints.
    I am certain that many would have wished to watch a small amount of coverage, and very few, all of it.

Be interesting to see how the BBC handle the Funeral, this Saturday.
    Tikay10 said:

Maybe they will put it on ‘Dave’ or the Shopping Channel., that would please the masses it seems.
    Tikay10 said:

tomgoodun said:

Tikay10 said:

Maybe they will put it on ‘Dave’ or the Shopping Channel., that would please the masses it seems.
    Or just one of the main 2 channels.
    A record number of complaints ever, might even convince the BBC that they got it wrong.
    Tikay10 said:

They havent amended the schedules yet.
    HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

They will.

The Sports schedules have all changed to miss the funeral;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56705816
  • rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,222
    Ah missed the final of Masterchef, I'm not a happy kid-on cook.
    Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

They will.

Yeah they have re-arranged sporting events, and postponed the Scottish National, but the schedule they are currently showing on Sky does not include any coverage of the funeral.
    rabdeniro said:

There you go @rabdeniro

Wednesday, just for you.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56732411
  • rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,222
    Tikay10 said:

rabdeniro said:

There you go @rabdeniro

Wednesday, just for you.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56732411
    Cheers TK.
    HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

They will.

Yeah they have re-arranged sporting events, and postponed the Scottish National, but the schedule they are currently showing on Sky does not include any coverage of the funeral.
    ITV is 1.15 until 4.30, nothing yet on the Sky Schedule from the BBC.
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

They will.

@HAYSIE

How to follow the funeral on the BBC TV and radio

HRH The Duke of Edinburgh Remembered: BBC One, Friday 16 April, 19:00-20:05

The Funeral of HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh: BBC One, Saturday 17 April, 12:30-16:20 and 20:10-21:10

The funeral will also be broadcast on Saturday 17 April from 14:00-16:10 on Radio 4 and Radio 5 Live, BBC World Service English, BBC Radio Scotland and BBC Radio Ulster.

It will also be broadcast on BBC Radio Wales and BBC local radio with some variation in start times.

Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

They will.

@HAYSIE

How to follow the funeral on the BBC TV and radio

HRH The Duke of Edinburgh Remembered: BBC One, Friday 16 April, 19:00-20:05

The Funeral of HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh: BBC One, Saturday 17 April, 12:30-16:20 and 20:10-21:10

The funeral will also be broadcast on Saturday 17 April from 14:00-16:10 on Radio 4 and Radio 5 Live, BBC World Service English, BBC Radio Scotland and BBC Radio Ulster.

It will also be broadcast on BBC Radio Wales and BBC local radio with some variation in start times.

They seem to have sneaked another programme into the BBC1 schedule at 11am, although this is about The Duke, rather than the funeral.
    The evening programme is now on BBC2.
    I dont suppose they will get many complaints over the Saturday coverage, at least not from reasonable people.
  • gregkdy82gregkdy82 Member Posts: 528
    Pleased to read this as I was wanting to complain myself but had no idea how to go about it.

I ended up enormously annoyed when I got in from work last Friday looking forward to watching Friday night football from Scottish Championship only to learn it had been cancelled. Masterchef and Eastenders fair enough they are recorded anyway but to cancel a game of football which has been moved to a Friday night specifically to be shown live on TV is utterly ridiculous especially when the two main BBC channels were already showing this tribute.

I still can't think of one single reason why this shite had to be on anymore channels than just BBC 1? Suppose he/she who decides such things at the BBC must have just lost the plot with the grief? Just goes to show how out of touch the BBC really is. Sooner they are defunded the better.