You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Holidays?

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,790
Shapps reveals measly list of 12 overseas destinations Brits can visit without self-isolating - including Australia and New Zealand (who won't let us in) and the sunny Falkland and Faroe Islands - then warns of massive queues to get back in

https://video.dailymail.co.uk/preview/mol/2021/05/07/5259818321526540941/964x580_MP4_5259818321526540941.mp4

British holidaymakers will be able to head to Portugal, Gibraltar and nine other destinations without quarantining on their return from May 17, Grant Shapps confirmed today. The Transport secretary unveiled a 12-strong green list of nations where visits will not lead to automatic quarantine requirements. But he warned that the countries would remain on a 'watch list' and reserved the right to take them off again if there is a spike in Covid cases. Fronting a Government press conference tonight, Mr Shapps said the plan was 'necessarily cautious', adding; We must make sure that the countries we reconnect with are safe.' The countries on the green list from May 17 are: Portugal including the Azores and Madeira; Australia; New Zealand; Singapore; Brunei; Iceland; the Faroe Islands; Gibraltar; the Falkland Islands; and Israel.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9554655/Holidays-Portugal-Gibraltar-Israel-17.html

Comments

• TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,119
    Nowt wrong with a nice caravan in Wales.
  • MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,513

I can spot two things wrong with that sentence ;)

Only joking.....lived in Wales for 3 years, and loved going back to visit and staying in a caravan.
  • tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,586
    I have had both jabs but they would still have to pay me to go on or anywhere near an aeroplane at the moment.
    Why indeed would you want to go abroad yet.
  • kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,527
    Measly? Such juvenile, standard Mail manure.
  • hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    tai-gar said:

I have had both jabs but they would still have to pay me to go on or anywhere near an aeroplane at the moment.

An aeroplane, where everyone has had to test negative to board, is likely much safer than wandering round your local supermarket.

But if you don't feel comfortable doing something then don't do it, thankfully no-one is forcing anyone to step on a plane.

I remain hopeful of getting to Zante end of June, but is dependent on various factors, not least this traffic light system.

I got abroad 6 times between July and December last year, sadly it won't be quite as many this year but still hoping for at least 2 or 3 trips.
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,119

tai-gar said:

An aeroplane, where everyone has had to test negative to board, is likely much safer than wandering round your local supermarket.

But if you don't feel comfortable doing something then don't do it, thankfully no-one is forcing anyone to step on a plane.

I remain hopeful of getting to Zante end of June, but is dependent on various factors, not least this traffic light system.

I got abroad 6 times between July and December last year, sadly it won't be quite as many this year but still hoping for at least 2 or 3 trips.
    Hey dude I know we don't always see eye to eye on many issues but please take really good care if you're going abroad, I'd say the same to anyone but just be extra safe eh.
  • hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036

tai-gar said:

Hey dude I know we don't always see eye to eye on many issues but please take really good care if you're going abroad, I'd say the same to anyone but just be extra safe eh.
    Erm, thanks, I'll be fine though.

Though when I went to Gran Canaria at the end of October, I did get smashed and fell asleep in my terrace jacuzzi, so I guess I could've drowned?

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,790
    MAXALLY said:

I can spot two things wrong with that sentence ;)

Only joking.....lived in Wales for 3 years, and loved going back to visit and staying in a caravan.
    Where?

How would you describe the list?

It is fair to say the Daily Star is disappointed by the 12 destinations named on the government's "green list" - which indicates which trips abroad from England will be allowed from 17 May without the need to self-isolate on return.

"When they said we could go on holiday we were thinking sunny Spain," it complains, "not the bleedin' Falklands."

The Guardian points out that South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands - which also made the list - are only accessible by sea and there is no visitor accommodation.

But the Daily Mirror speaks of "joy" that Portugal got the green light, and says a "holidays scramble" is under way as people rush to book.

"Dust off that suitcase" is the advice from the Mail.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-57033837
    Is that it?! Travel bosses demand MORE countries be put on safe-travel green list as they slam 'overly cautious' choice of just 12 destinations (which includes nations who won't even let us in)

Portugal (inset), Gibraltar and Israel are among the small group of countries which will be on the green list (right) from May 17 - with some countries on the list still not accepting holidaymakers. Of the nations and territories on the list, only the above three, as well as Iceland, are allowing Britons in without the need to quarantine. Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said the removal of the ban on international leisure travel is 'necessarily cautious', but sector leaders warned it could 'delay the industry's recovery'. People returning to England from a green destination from May 17 will not be required to self-isolate and are only required to take one post-arrival coronavirus test. The green list also features several remote British Overseas Territories and destinations where visits are heavily restricted, such as Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Brunei and the Faroe Islands. Virgin Atlantic called for the US to be added to the green list, saying the Government has taken an 'overly cautious approach'. EasyJet boss John Lundgren said the decision to put so few European countries on the list was 'simply not justified by the data or science'. Piling in on the chorus of criticism, industry body Airlines UK said the Government had to make 'major additions' to the green list at the next review point in three weeks. Pictured left: Travellers at Heathrow.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9556495/Travel-bosses-demand-countries-safe-travel-green-list.html
    Costs of flights to Portugal DOUBLE after holiday 'green list' is revealed with Border Force boss warning it could take passengers 15 TIMES longer to get through customs because of Covid checks

Eager British holidaymakers rushed to book last minute getaways after the handful of quarantine-free destinations were unveiled by Grant Shapps tonight.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9554861/Price-flights-Portugal-soars-20-holiday-green-list-revealed.html

'Looking forward to a freezing fortnight in the Falklands?' Britons are less than impressed with prospect of holidays to the Faroe Islands or South Georgia as 'green list' is revealed

British holidaymakers were left far from impressed after the Transport Secretary unveiled the 12-strong green list of nations during his press conference tonight.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9554793/Britons-impressed-green-list-revealed.html

Fans demand the Champions League final be moved from Istanbul to England after Turkey is put on Covid 'red list' meaning EVERYONE who has bought a ticket will need to isolate in a quarantine hotel or face a £10k fine on way home

Grant Shapps (pictured) says fans should not travel to the Champions League final in Turkey as the country has moved into the travel red list.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9554751/Fans-demand-Champions-League-final-moved-Istanbul-England.html

Blow for Malta as island is left OFF green list of 'safe' holiday spots that won't require quarantine after May 17 despite airlines planning extra flights amid hopes it would be included

The Government has announced Malta has been left off its green list of countries Britons will be free to visit from May 17, despite early reports suggesting it would have been added.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9554731/Blow-Malta-island-left-green-list-safe-holiday-spots.html
    tai-gar said:

Do you think that getting on a plane is more risky than sitting in a pub?
  • rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,222
    Why are some people so desperate to go abroad ?, A lot of Britains beautiful, great places to go to, Scotland has some of the best beaches you will see, the Lake District, North East coast, cornwall I could go on, stay in this country, the weather is a bit iffy sometimes :), but helping the economy and local business should be the number one priority it trickles down to everybody.

When all this shite settles down and every country is safe to go too then fly away, but the risks seem to be too high at the moment.
  • tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,586
    HAYSIE said:

tai-gar said:

I have no overwhelming desire to do either. Can take or leave it at any time let alone now.
    tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

tai-gar said:

I have no overwhelming desire to do either. Can take or leave it at any time let alone now.
    Would a vaccine passport make a difference to you?
  • Allan23Allan23 Member Posts: 863
    Got to love it - reading “why on earth would you want to go abroad at the moment”, as I step outside my flat to p1ssing rain, wind and freezing cold for the 200th consecutive day after not stepping off this island for more than a year and a half.

Aye, why would you want to go abroad right enough
  • kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,527
    I'm going straight to California once this is through and I ain't coming back till evicted.