You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Partygate.

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 33,268
    Essexphil said:

Some of this "blackmail" bit is nonsense. It is the Whips' job to whip people into line.

There are lots of perfectly legitimate ways of doing this. For example, reminding an MP that the next leader (as well as the current one) are unlikely to reward disloyalty. And of course there will be inducements to MPs for voting in a certain way. This job, that Committee. Because (like it or not) that has always been part of politics.

But some of this stuff goes beyond that. Threatening to withdraw funds for a School? Insane.

And it is true that MPs should not secretly record conversations with Whips. But that does not mean that what Whips are currently being asked to do does not go beyond the norms of political behaviour.

But we have seen that time and time again. Not in Conservative Governments generally. This one.

So-for example-Boris can vote against Brexit deals he doesn't like, and that is no-one else's business. Like the then-PM. But when it came to his deal, it was agree or be expelled from the Party. Or friends who break Parliamentary lobbying rules. Or Boris when he breaks the Ministerial Code.

Gavin Williamson accused of threatening MP over school funding

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/gavin-williamson-accused-threatening-mp-215358285.html
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Muslim ex-minister Nusrat Ghani 'sacked for disloyalty'

A vice chairman of the 1922 committee of Tory backbenchers made incendiary claims that her "Muslimness" was raised at a meeting in Downing Street that led to her sacking in a 2020 reshuffle.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/twelve-tory-mps-planning-to-oust-pm-allegedly-blackmailed-by-whips-and-boris-johnson/ar-AAT2h7G?ocid=msedgntp

This one fits into the category of "so what".

1. "I was accused if being disloyal." Said Nusrat Ghani. Er, disloyally
    2. My "muslimness was an issue". No-as a Cabinet Minister, and a Muslim, she had been asked to speak out and deny that Islamophobia was an issue. She refused to do so. How is that relating to her "muslimness"?

Can't stand the man. But sometimes I detest the 1922 Committee even more.
    Watched the Press Preview on Sky News last night.
    There was unanimous agreement that these were serious allegations.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,353
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Some of this "blackmail" bit is nonsense. It is the Whips' job to whip people into line.

There are lots of perfectly legitimate ways of doing this. For example, reminding an MP that the next leader (as well as the current one) are unlikely to reward disloyalty. And of course there will be inducements to MPs for voting in a certain way. This job, that Committee. Because (like it or not) that has always been part of politics.

But some of this stuff goes beyond that. Threatening to withdraw funds for a School? Insane.

And it is true that MPs should not secretly record conversations with Whips. But that does not mean that what Whips are currently being asked to do does not go beyond the norms of political behaviour.

But we have seen that time and time again. Not in Conservative Governments generally. This one.

So-for example-Boris can vote against Brexit deals he doesn't like, and that is no-one else's business. Like the then-PM. But when it came to his deal, it was agree or be expelled from the Party. Or friends who break Parliamentary lobbying rules. Or Boris when he breaks the Ministerial Code.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/gavin-williamson-accused-threatening-mp-215358285.html
    I think this story deserves less credence than others.

Gavin Williamson? He is hardly a fan of Boris Johnson. And look at what he is actually supposed to have said:-

“It’s not very helpful to back an opposition (motion) against the department where you’re wanting an extremely large favour from said department, so do consider what you’re doing.”

He was proposing to back a Labour motion re free school meals rubbishing Tory Education policy, while simultaneously asking the same Education Department for money. Gavin Williamson appears to be saying that is bad timing, not that funding would be withdrawn.

I do have a problem with people changing parties without a by-election. As indeed did Christian Wakeford. Before doing it himself. A quote from the Rt Hon MP for Bury South in the papers today:-

“His lack of honesty and integrity has poisoned the once great party he leads.”

Mr Wakeford added he had “too much respect for the people who voted me into Parliament to stay silent in the face of such intimidation”.

Said the MP for Bury South. Voted in to represent the Conservative Party by the voters of Bury South.

Talking about "honesty", "integrity" and "respect" for his constituents. And conning us with some old pony about he had no choice but to dump on his Party and his Constituents.

While deciding to completely ignore the wishes of his constituents. And refusing a by-election.

Even Boris deserves better than this.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Gavin Williamson? He is hardly a fan of Boris Johnson. And look at what he is actually supposed to have said:-

“It’s not very helpful to back an opposition (motion) against the department where you’re wanting an extremely large favour from said department, so do consider what you’re doing.”

He was proposing to back a Labour motion re free school meals rubbishing Tory Education policy, while simultaneously asking the same Education Department for money. Gavin Williamson appears to be saying that is bad timing, not that funding would be withdrawn.

I do have a problem with people changing parties without a by-election. As indeed did Christian Wakeford. Before doing it himself. A quote from the Rt Hon MP for Bury South in the papers today:-

Mr Wakeford added he had “too much respect for the people who voted me into Parliament to stay silent in the face of such intimidation”.

Said the MP for Bury South. Voted in to represent the Conservative Party by the voters of Bury South.

Talking about "honesty", "integrity" and "respect" for his constituents. And conning us with some old pony about he had no choice but to dump on his Party and his Constituents.

While deciding to completely ignore the wishes of his constituents. And refusing a by-election.

Gavin Williamson was Education Secretary at the time, and an ex Chief Whip.
    As Chief Whip he apparently delighted in holding an MPs feet to the fire.
    He was also set on a course, at least in his own mind, of becoming a future PM.
    I wouldnt put this past him, but I am sure it will all come out in the wash.

I think you may be being a little hard on Christian Wakeford.
    By-elections rarely happen through honesty, and integrity, they usually happen when they have to, and avoided at all costs when possible.
    I think that many Tory MPs will be considering their own position, as well as that of the PM.
    Nothing much that has happened since the 2019 General Election could be considered predictable.
    I dont like to see MPs changing parties, but these are exceptional times.
    I am not sure what exactly Boris deserves.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

By-elections rarely happen through honesty, and integrity, they usually happen when they have to, and avoided at all costs when possible.
    I think that many Tory MPs will be considering their own position, as well as that of the PM.
    Nothing much that has happened since the 2019 General Election could be considered predictable.
    Never going to agree on this ;)

Even on UnChristian Wakeford's version of events, there is nothing there that is improper.
    All Chief Whips like holding an MP's feet to the fire. It is the most important part of that particular job. In every Party.

As I have said previously, if any MP wants to cross the floor, in any direction, there should be a by-election. There was a Bill about 3 years ago, proposing exactly that. One of its most public supporters? Christian Wakeford.

These aren't "exceptional times". There are always massive changes when a new Leader is elected. Think Johnson is anything like May? Or May Cameron? Or Starmer Corbyn?

What Boris deserves is to be judged by people who are better than he is. Which should not be difficult.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Even on UnChristian Wakeford's version of events, there is nothing there that is improper.
    All Chief Whips like holding an MP's feet to the fire. It is the most important part of that particular job. In every Party.

As I have said previously, if any MP wants to cross the floor, in any direction, there should be a by-election. There was a Bill about 3 years ago, proposing exactly that. One of its most public supporters? Christian Wakeford.

These aren't "exceptional times". There are always massive changes when a new Leader is elected. Think Johnson is anything like May? Or May Cameron? Or Starmer Corbyn?

What Boris deserves is to be judged by people who are better than he is. Which should not be difficult.
    It will be interesting what proof comes out regarding any misconduct by Whips.
    I think By-elections should be compulsory, under these circumstances, but they clearly arent.
    Although, I can guess his new leaders thoughts on a By-election.
    I think that these are exceptional times for to many reasons, and nobody could have predicted the actions of a certain Boris Johnson.
    The massive changes that take place when a new leader is elected are often advertised during the election campaign.
    I am certain that Christian Wakeford is not alone in contemplating switching sides, but maybe alone in having the bottle to do it, so far.
    I dont think Boris is like anyone else on the planet.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

A vice chairman of the 1922 committee of Tory backbenchers made incendiary claims that her "Muslimness" was raised at a meeting in Downing Street that led to her sacking in a 2020 reshuffle.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/twelve-tory-mps-planning-to-oust-pm-allegedly-blackmailed-by-whips-and-boris-johnson/ar-AAT2h7G?ocid=msedgntp

2. My "muslimness was an issue". No-as a Cabinet Minister, and a Muslim, she had been asked to speak out and deny that Islamophobia was an issue. She refused to do so. How is that relating to her "muslimness"?

Tory civil war deepens over islamophobia row: Education Secretary Nadhim Zahawi demands probe after former minister Nusrat Ghani says she was told she was being sacked because of her 'Muslimness' - but chief whip brands claim 'defamatory'

Nusrat Ghani, 49, alleges she was told she was being axed as a transport minister because her status as a Muslim woman and a minister was 'making colleagues feel uncomfortable'.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10432023/Probe-call-former-minister-Nusrat-Ghani-claims-sacked-Muslimness.html
  • Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,629
    I can't believe that all areas of No10 are not covered by security cameras. Also that phone calls are not automatically recorded.

Do we have MI5 or 6 or 7 for nothing? Surely someone at GCHQ is responsible for monitoring No10 and the surrounding area?

If so where is the data kept that will completely exonerate the PM?

ha ha.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Voices: This is what local voters think of Bury South’s defecting MP

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/voices-this-is-what-local-voters-think-of-bury-south-s-defecting-mp/ar-AAT25Tb?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options
    'I wouldn't p*** on you if you were on fire': What furious junior ministers told Boris Johnson's chief of staff over Partygate as they hinted even they could abandon him in confidence vote

The Prime Minister and his No10 team were slammed in a private meeting by a number of political private secretaries, the lowest rung on the ministerial ladder. One, Paul Holmes, is said to have told Dan Rosenfield, the PM's private secretaries that 'heads must roll' amid the chaos engulfing the Government. Jane Hunt, an aide to Cabinet Office Minister Steve Barclay, is alleged by the Sunday Times to have told him: 'I wouldn't p*** on you if you were on fire.' The comments suggested Mr Johnson could not reply on MPs on the Government payroll backing him if backbenchers trigger a confidence vote.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10432217/I-wouldnt-p-fire-Junior-ministers-turn-Boris-Johnson-Partygate.html
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

This is going to run for a bit.
    More stuff coming out in todays papers.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

No 10 officials admit holding back information from partygate inquiry after being ‘frightened into silence’

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/no-10-officials-admit-holding-125323680.html
  • Options
    No 10 police officers ‘interviewed in Partygate inquiry’

Police officers who guard No 10 have reportedly been interviewed as part of Sue Gray’s inquiry into parties held at Downing Street during Covid restrictions.

A source told The Telegraph their statements to the civil servant in charge of the probe were “extremely damning”.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/no-10-police-officers-interviewed-000659885.html
  • Options
  • Options
    Downing Street police have given 'extremely damning' partygate evidence to Sue Gray, as source says: 'If Boris Johnson is still Prime Minister by the end of the week I'd be very surprised'... and Dominic Cummings is expected to meet her TODAY

Police officers from the Metropolitan Police's Parliamentary and Diplomatic Protection Command, who were guarding Downing Street when the illegal gatherings allegedly took place, have provided their accounts to Sue Gray, according to a source. The testimonies, which come just days before Ms Gray releases the findings of her report, have now been described as 'extremely damning', according to a source.The source went on to claim that while officers could not be compelled to speak to Ms Gray they were 'only too willing' to provide cooperate with the probe. The official inquiry into the Partygate row by Whitehall ethics chief Sue Gray is expected to be published next week - and there is growing nervousness in Downing Street over what it will reveal. As part of her investigation, the civil servant has spoken to fellow MPs, the Prime Minister, and political advisers. She has also examined the Prime Minister's official diary as part of the probe. Last night one source described how they would be 'very surprised' if Boris Johnson was still in power by the end of the week. It comes as the PM's former aide Dominic Cummings prepares to be interviewed by Ms Gray on Monday, according to reports.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10433445/Downing-Street-police-extremely-damning-Covid-party-evidence-Sue-Gray.html
  • Options
    His biggest problem with the general public is the Parties. One question that the press do not seem to be asking is - did he receive the email about the Party? And, of course, did he read it? If it is yes and yes, then it shows that he was lying about his knowledge. If it was no, why was his wife there?

But what is likely to finish him is lying to Parliament about it. Because the Ministerial Code is quite clear on that. That looks grim for him.

I have my doubts about how damning the police evidence will be. Cos if it is that bad, the officers concerned are going to get done for aiding and abetting those parties, and likely sacked. Turkeys don't vote for Xmas :)
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

His biggest problem with the general public is the Parties. One question that the press do not seem to be asking is - did he receive the email about the Party? And, of course, did he read it? If it is yes and yes, then it shows that he was lying about his knowledge. If it was no, why was his wife there?

But what is likely to finish him is lying to Parliament about it. Because the Ministerial Code is quite clear on that. That looks grim for him.

I have my doubts about how damning the police evidence will be. Cos if it is that bad, the officers concerned are going to get done for aiding and abetting those parties, and likely sacked. Turkeys don't vote for Xmas :)

I think there is proof he lied, as he has changed his explanation over the weeks the story has run.
    Dominic Raab was suggesting yesterday that the Sue Gray report may not be released in full.
    That would be another big mistake.
    I dont think the public will bear the thought of him hiding bits of it.
    The Islamophobia story seems to be gaining momentum.
    Yes you are right, the police rarely incriminate themselves.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

I think there is proof he lied, as he has changed his explanation over the weeks the story has run.
    Dominic Raab was suggesting yesterday that the Sue Gray report may not be released in full.
    That would be another big mistake.
    I dont think the public will bear the thought of him hiding bits of it.
    The Islamophobia story seems to be gaining momentum.
    Yes you are right, the police rarely incriminate themselves.
    I think it is clear he has lied.

He might get away with the Party bit, but his subsequent actions da mn him.

The Sue Gray bit. I don't know the woman, and have no idea how independent she may prove to be. But-if this independent report is given first only to the accused, and then the accused gets to decide how much of it is published, then that is not what I would call a truly independent report.

Islamophobia? It has been as much of a running sore in the Tory Party as anti-Semitism has been for Labour. But I do not think the latest whiny-guts is key here. If Baroness Warsi (who is a far more significant political figure) throws her weight behind her, then it becomes far more important.