You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Never ending story

Comments

• VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,012
    There's a lot of scared people on social media this afternoon, complaining about the lifting of Plan B restrictions.

I have some advice:

Stay home.
    Buy yourself a V/R headset and join the Metaverse (wear a mask obv)
    Get your stuff delivered from Amazon & Deliveroo.

Let the rest of the country start getting back to normal.
  • hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited January 2022
    VespaPX said:

Firstly, lol at even using Dan Wootton. Gbeebies indeed.

Secondly, what's the massive surprise?
    It's pretty common knowledge that people rarely die outright from Covid and with nothing else going on.
    It can happen, but not all too often.

There are a shed load of underlying conditions afflicting people right across the country, from mild to serious and known to unknown.
    Covid can complicate these conditions, and ultimately contribute towards someone's death.

Hence Covid is almost always listed on the death certificate alongside other comorbidities.

But you know all that, and just want to go with your agenda headlines and screenshots.

Shame to see your mate Dr Chilling cancelled, such a shame.
    This is why people like Dan Wootton, and people who are share his stuff, are idiots....

You've gotta do the work of 2 CTN's now your right hand man Dr Chilling has been cancelled?

Thoughts and prayers.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,958
    VespaPX said:

This sort of comment is something that I find interesting.

The most important thing to try and stop international transmission of a virus must surely be that the traveller is not infectious. Not whether or not they have had a vaccine.

This is going to take time. Not because it should, but because of all countries' apparent belief that foreigners are more risky than their own citizens. Now-that might be true for future variants. It might be true if you are thousands of miles from anywhere, and have no cases.

But-right now-if there is any additional risk from travel (like being cooped up in a confined poorly ventilated space for hours on a plane) then infection is going to be primarily caused by someone being infectious. Not their vaccine status.
    Changing his tune now.....quack

https://gettr.com/post/ppil2vf8b3
    Essexphil said:

VespaPX said:

The most important thing to try and stop international transmission of a virus must surely be that the traveller is not infectious. Not whether or not they have had a vaccine.

This is going to take time. Not because it should, but because of all countries' apparent belief that foreigners are more risky than their own citizens. Now-that might be true for future variants. It might be true if you are thousands of miles from anywhere, and have no cases.

But-right now-if there is any additional risk from travel (like being cooped up in a confined poorly ventilated space for hours on a plane) then infection is going to be primarily caused by someone being infectious. Not their vaccine status.
    Planes aren't poorly ventilated, quite the opposite actually.
    VespaPX said:

Changing his tune now.....quack

https://gettr.com/post/ppil2vf8b3

Gettr?
    The place that houses the likes of Tommy Robinson.

More than a little apt that you're linking to that website.

Essexphil said:

VespaPX said:

Fair comment.

But the main point remains that I would like to know (if possible) whether the person sitting next to me has tested negative for Covid. Rather than whether he has had a vaccine.
    Essexphil said:

Essexphil said:

VespaPX said:

Fair comment.

But the main point remains that I would like to know (if possible) whether the person sitting next to me has tested negative for Covid. Rather than whether he has had a vaccine.
    I don't disagree with that sentiment.

I don't think it's quite as straightforward as that though.
    Given that we know vaccination helps reduce transmissibility, illness, hospitalisation and ultimately death, it's no wonder countries might not be so eager to permit unvaccinated travellers.
    I'm sure the last thing any country wants is having unjabbed Johnny foreigners clogging up their already overstretched hospitals and care facilities.
    That's not to say that someone vaccinated can't also go into hospital with Covid, but the risk is massively reduced through vaccination.

So I have no qualms if countries wish to protect their borders accordingly, though there is probably a happy medium between vaccination and testing (I'm not sure what that is though)
    edited January 2022

Essexphil said:

Essexphil said:

VespaPX said:

Fair comment.

I don't disagree with that sentiment.

I don't think it's quite as straightforward as that though.
    Given that we know vaccination helps reduce transmissibility, illness, hospitalisation and ultimately death, it's no wonder countries might not be so eager to permit unvaccinated travellers.
    I'm sure the last thing any country wants is having unjabbed Johnny foreigners clogging up their already overstretched hospitals and care facilities.
    That's not to say that someone vaccinated can't also go into hospital with Covid, but the risk is massively reduced through vaccination.

So I have no qualms if countries wish to protect their borders accordingly, though there is probably a happy medium between vaccination and testing (I'm not sure what that is though)
    This is all important. I agree with a lot of it. And the bits I don't like are undoubtedly the position the rest of the World is currently taking on International Travel. I think it will change. But when?

The effect vaccination has on transmissibility has massively reduced. Omicron (at least for now) has changed that. Completely agree that the additional risks to the unjabbed individual (to themselves) are still large.

The "unjabbed Johnny foreigners.. clogging up hospitals"? Firstly, there are as many people leaving 1 country as entering another. For the UK, I doubt that there are more people entering on holiday etc than leaving. And people from foreign climes are not automatically entitled to free healthcare (here or abroad). They (or their travel/health insurer) have to pay.

I just don't get the "protect our borders" bit. I understand the World has that attitude. Just not sure it is in anyone's long-term interest.

I completely agree that there needs to be a happy medium between vaccination and testing. I just think that with Omicron (as opposed to Alpha/Delta) that medium is leaning more (not completely) towards testing.
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,515
    edited January 2022
    VespaPX said:
    How do you actually backside, or is that what he is talking through?