You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Wordle & Quordle.

Comments

• Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,030
    My beginners luck seems to be holding for now.

• Options
    Carrying on from the Mastermind theme I've just found this online version,it's the same rules as the original game. Here's the link to the game if you want to give it a try.

https://webgamesonline.com/mastermind/index.php

My first game of Mastermind in years, I've still got it :D

• Options
    The more I drink the better I get...

• Options
    Today's word was the hardest since I've started playing not surprised as I had never heard of the word but managed to guess correctly by a process of elimination.

• Options
    After yesterdays struggle with a word I hadn't heard of today's challenge was my best result yet as it was solved in 2 guesses.

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    lucy4 said:

After yesterdays struggle with a word I hadn't heard of today's challenge was my best result yet as it was solved in 2 guesses.

Just started on this.
    4/4 so far-2 x 4 and 2 x 5.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

lucy4 said:

Just started on this.
    I assume that you knew/heard of yesterdays word but I wasn't alone in never having heard of the word.

Wordle fans have been left stumped yet again by Sunday's answer - tacit.

Many players struggled to guess the five-letter word, with many saying they had never heard of it.

Some took to Twitter to share their confusion and frustration, with one writing: "Tacit, genuinely have never heard it before."

Another added: "Like i got Tacit...i didn't even know that word existed."

One person who was playing for the first time was left annoyed, tweeting: "I just wanted to know what all the hype is about and wtf is tacit never in my life have I heard this word but what does 'tacit' actually mean?"

But what does Sunday's Wordle word Tacit mean?

The Oxford English Dictionary states: "That is suggested indirectly or understood, rather than said in words."

The examples it offers are - 'Tacit approval/support/knowledge' and 'By tacit agreement, the subject was never mentioned again'.

The word is the latest in a line of answers which have left plays scratching their heads, with many blaming the move to the New York Times.
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

Essexphil said:

lucy4 said:

Just started on this.
    I assume that you knew/heard of yesterdays word but I wasn't alone in never having heard of the word.

Many players struggled to guess the five-letter word, with many saying they had never heard of it.

Some took to Twitter to share their confusion and frustration, with one writing: "Tacit, genuinely have never heard it before."

One person who was playing for the first time was left annoyed, tweeting: "I just wanted to know what all the hype is about and wtf is tacit never in my life have I heard this word but what does 'tacit' actually mean?"

The Oxford English Dictionary states: "That is suggested indirectly or understood, rather than said in words."

The examples it offers are - 'Tacit approval/support/knowledge' and 'By tacit agreement, the subject was never mentioned again'.

The word is the latest in a line of answers which have left plays scratching their heads, with many blaming the move to the New York Times.
    It is from the Latin "tacitus", meaning silent, or secret. Where the word "taciturn" comes from.

So a tacit agreement could be a raised eyebrow, followed by a slight nod. Or a long-held custom. Anything-without words.
  • Options
    Just remembered an old legal adage (which isn't strictly true, but is funny):-

A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Last diversion before back to wordle-promise.

2 things-firstly, I have always enjoyed altering traditional sayings. And I believe that, in order to get away with a crude, disgusting and unworthy joke, it needs to be 4th in the list. So:-

1. He who hesitates is last
    2. You can take a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead
    3. Where there's a will there's a relative
    4. One in Kate Bush is worth Two in the hand...
  • Options
    thefallthefall Member Posts: 1,969
    I'm a big fan of Wordle 30 out of 30, had no 2s yet but 2 6s phew!

We should all know caulk and tacit ๐Ÿ˜†

Quordle much harder and only solved 2 out of 4 grids very frustrating. More practice needed! The word Sepia an indicator of how hard it is.

All good fun for nothing just like Sky ๐Ÿ˜

Take care good luck!

• Options
    thefall said:

I'm a big fan of Wordle 30 out of 30, had no 2s yet but 2 6s phew!

We should all know caulk and tacit ๐Ÿ˜†

Quordle much harder and only solved 2 out of 4 grids very frustrating. More practice needed! The word Sepia an indicator of how hard it is.

All good fun for nothing just like Sky ๐Ÿ˜

Take care good luck!

I always used to say that, as A Solicitor, my tools were words. So-I know a lot of words.

I had never heard of caulk. Probably because it seems to involve working for a living :)
  • Options
    FeelGroggyFeelGroggy Member Posts: 824
    lucy4 said:

Tikay10 said:

Love WORDLE.

It's something anyone can play - and it's free.

Pretty frustrating to use up 4 guesses & then find you have one blank left & 5 different words fit.

It's even more frustrating when this happens and there was still one other option but luckily I chose the correct one on today's word.

In a situation like this where there are lots of different options and you only need one letter a good strategy can be to play a word that contains as many potential letters as you can think of. Here for example 'ramps' would eliminate 'share' 'shame' and 'shape' in one guess so you've essentially made 3 guesses in 1.
  • Options

lucy4 said:

Tikay10 said:

Love WORDLE.

It's something anyone can play - and it's free.

Pretty frustrating to use up 4 guesses & then find you have one blank left & 5 different words fit.

It's even more frustrating when this happens and there was still one other option but luckily I chose the correct one on today's word.

In a situation like this where there are lots of different options and you only need one letter a good strategy can be to play a word that contains as many potential letters as you can think of. Here for example 'ramps' would eliminate 'share' 'shame' and 'shape' in one guess so you've essentially made 3 guesses in 1.
    I have previously used that tactic but I think I got carried away with trying to solve it as early as possible.
  • Options
    splashiessplashies Member Posts: 3,680
    lucy4 said:

Essexphil said:

lucy4 said:

Just started on this.

Yeh, "humor" was an answer the other week. I think I was on my 5th guess and I couldn't think of a word to fit in and soon realised what was going on.

• Options
    Managed today's in 4 guesses and I'd heard of the word :D

• Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,523
    Glad this is only ONE word per day, or I would do no work. My average looks like between 3 & 4 with one failure so far.

Wordle 248 3/6

โฌœ๐ŸŸจโฌœโฌœ๐ŸŸฉ
    ๐ŸŸฉโฌœโฌœ๐ŸŸจ๐ŸŸฉ
    ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ
  • Options
  • Options
    thefallthefall Member Posts: 1,969
    OMG the wordle I did in three ( still on 100% ).

But what about this from the treasure trove, the answer to today is also the first word in quordle! How spooky is that!!! Never beaten three in this today may be the day ๐Ÿ˜†
  • Options
    Done in 4 guesses today.