You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Right To Buy?

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,231
    goldon said:

The fact I bought my Council House did not deprive anyone of a Council house.
    I still live in it, so not available to anyone the years I've lived here.

True, it wouldnt have been available to anyone else if you had carried on renting it either.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

goldon said:

True, it wouldnt have been available to anyone else if you had carried on renting it either.
    Also a friend of mine bought an ex council house.
    It was a cracking house.
    It was a corner plot with a huge garden.
    It is on an estate that abuts a private estate.
    Lovely location.
    The private houses are more than double the price of the ex council.
    He could never have afforded one.
    He is happier than the proverbial pig in sh1t.
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,223
    The area I stay in is quite a deprived area if you believe the statistics that are pushed back and forth, when I was a teenager there was only one guy who was homeless sleeping on the streets in ma town ( jossie the tramp he was called always had a can of special brew in his hand bit of a character) today walk down town there are 10 or more people on the streets.
    There are more than 7,000 people on the waiting list for a house, say the council didn't sell off its stock the majority of these people could have accommodation now instead of waiting years, I know that's a bit simplistic but wasn't the idea of council houses to give people decent living conditions who couldn't afford to buy and if you were in a situation to go private move on and give people a home.

• Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,223
    HAYSIE said:

goldon said:

True, but when you pop yer clogs it would have went back to the council
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,513
    rabdeniro Member
    True, but when you pop yer clogs it would have went back to the council.

No, not so, as your wife would still remain in the property and when she went if the kids were still at home they could ask to be on the rent book.
    The Council would either let them stay or rehouse them.
    With Council Housing now all being " Housing Associations " and just like Landlords who knows what happens now.
  • Options
    rabdeniro said:

The area I stay in is quite a deprived area if you believe the statistics that are pushed back and forth, when I was a teenager there was only one guy who was homeless sleeping on the streets in ma town ( jossie the tramp he was called always had a can of special brew in his hand bit of a character) today walk down town there are 10 or more people on the streets.
    There are more than 7,000 people on the waiting list for a house, say the council didn't sell off its stock the majority of these people could have accommodation now instead of waiting years, I know that's a bit simplistic but wasn't the idea of council houses to give people decent living conditions who couldn't afford to buy and if you were in a situation to go private move on and give people a home.

I think that RTB was a good scheme, but only if they replaced the ones that were sold with new ones.
    Their failure to do this was absolutely stupid.
    What were they thinking of?

I expect they got a load of votes out of it.
    I remember reading an article at the time about Nottingham miners.
    They became home owners because of the RTB, were driving brand new cars, and suddenly became Tory voters.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Look back and inflation has made it look silly money but wages were low and work scarce, we struggled some weeks the Mortgage was double the Rent and had to be paid.
    You all feel sorry for us now. cough!
  • Options
    rabdeniro said:

HAYSIE said:

goldon said:

True, but when you pop yer clogs it would have went back to the council
    I cant get past the basic argument.
    Rent for 50 years at an average of £100 per week is £250k, and nothing to show for it at the end.
    Or buy for £20k, and have asset woth maybe £250k at the end.
  • Options
    Good old Ken Livingstone G.L.C. gave us even cheaper deals than outer London Borough's that had Conservative Councils.

His parting shot before Maggie got rid soon after. I remember she changed all the Boundaries too exclude Labour voters from Tory seats.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,029
    edited June 2022
    No really any incentive for people to work anymore.
    How will people on U.C. afford a deposit?
  • Options
    VespaPX said:

They will discount to qualifying tenants.
    The discount will cover the deposit.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

VespaPX said:

That's going to be a pretty big discount as people with more than £16k don't qualify for UC.
  • Options
    VespaPX said:

HAYSIE said:

VespaPX said:

That's going to be a pretty big discount as people with more than £16k don't qualify for UC.
    I havent read much about it, but the plan seems to be that those claiming housing benefit, could use it to pay the mortgage rather than rent.
    They used to discount council houses by up to 50%.
    Therefore Building Societies did not require a deposit to be paid.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

VespaPX said:

HAYSIE said:

VespaPX said:

I havent read much about it, but the plan seems to be that those claiming housing benefit, could use it to pay the mortgage rather than rent.
    Good point
    I wonder if they will own the property at the end of the mortgage, given that tax payers have paid for it?
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,638
    I think it's a good idea gives people a legacy but there must be some sort of rules
    For example people who buy cannot sell for a minimum of 10 years , for every house sold two or three must be built for social housing which lets be honest will never happen
  • Options
    stokefc said:

I think it's a good idea gives people a legacy but there must be some sort of rules
    For example people who buy cannot sell for a minimum of 10 years , for every house sold two or three must be built for social housing which lets be honest will never happen

Rules???
    We are talking about Boris here....... B)
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,044
    HAYSIE said:

VespaPX said:

HAYSIE said:

VespaPX said:

The maximum discount is capped at 70% or £87,200 after 5 years you can sell the property without any financial penalties,if you decide to sell you have to offer the council you bought from first choice on buying it back.