You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

School Shooting.

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,162
At least NINETEEN children massacred in second-deadliest US school shooting ever: Gunman, 18, kills 22 at Texas primary, including two teachers, before police shoot him dead

An 18-year-old Texan has shot and killed 19 students and two teachers in the city of Uvalde, after first shooting his grandmother. He shared photos on social media of his guns and warned of the attack. The shooter engaged in a firefight with border patrol before the shooting and then ran into the school and barricaded himself inside the school. Police initially reported he was arrested before confirming he died. Photos outside the scene show a pickup truck that crashed outside the school, it was unclear if the car belonged to the gunman. Concerned parents were captured at the scene desperately searching for their children and video from the chaotic scene showed police arriving to the school campus with their guns in hand. One widely shared video appears to show the suspected gunman approach the school while what sounds like gunfire is going off in the background.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10850557/Active-shooter-loose-Texas-elementary-school-campus-plunged-lockdown.html

Comments

• Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    In a word, awful!
  • Options
    Cammykaze said:

In a word, awful!

Shocking, but the 27th school shooting this year, over there.
  • Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,610
    the basketball coach of the favourites to win the NBA championship refused to talk about basketball in his pre game press conference and did this instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdO4f_wYc1s
  • Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    In a word, awful!
    HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

In a word, awful!

May have said before here rarely follow the news - too grim however did not know that this was the 27th. :(
  • Options
    Cammykaze said:

In a word, awful!

HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

In a word, awful!

May have said before here rarely follow the news - too grim however did not know that this was the 27th. :(
    According to the GVA, of this year’s 212 mass shootings, 27 took place in schools. Following the attack, President Joe Biden said he was ‘sick and tired’ of gun violence in America. He said: ‘I hoped when I became president I wouldn’t have to do this again.’
    metro.co.uk/2022/05/25/texas-school-massacre-marks-212th-mass-shooting-in-the-us-this-year-16705249/
    Texas school massacre marks 212th mass shooting in the US ...
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,039
    HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

In a word, awful!

HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

In a word, awful!

According to the GVA, of this year’s 212 mass shootings, 27 took place in schools. Following the attack, President Joe Biden said he was ‘sick and tired’ of gun violence in America. He said: ‘I hoped when I became president I wouldn’t have to do this again.’
    metro.co.uk/2022/05/25/texas-school-massacre-marks-212th-mass-shooting-in-the-us-this-year-16705249/
    Texas school massacre marks 212th mass shooting in the US ...

That figure is unbelievable.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    VespaPX said:
    As a gun loving Trump supporter, what are your thoughts on the American stance on gun laws/control (or lack of)?
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,039

VespaPX said:
    As a gun loving Trump supporter, what are your thoughts on the American stance on gun laws/control (or lack of)?
    Do you have no compassion for the child & teacher victims ? Why try and score points on a subject like this.
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

VespaPX said:
    Do you have no compassion for the child & teacher victims ? Why try and score points on a subject like this.
    I'm asking him what his thoughts are, as he is politically (and possibly socially) at the other end of the spectrum compared to many on here.

I'd wager almost everyone in the UK finds the gun laws in America baffling (at best), but I'm curious to know if that extends to a Trump fan with a known penchant for guns.

There's no need to try and shut down debate, despite the very sensitive subject matter.
  • Options
    Would love to be wrong, but it's hard to see anything significant changing anytime soon.
    Certain sections of America are just so engrossed in their beloved 'Second Amendment' that they cannot see past it, and the result is that people die in schools, supermarkets, churches etc etc

To some batshit crazy Americans, their right to own guns trumps the rights of kids to go to school and not be murdered.

• Options
    You really couldn't make this stuff up.

Congressman Gonzales is fully committed to ensuring that the innocent lives of the unborn are protected. As a father of six, the right to life is a crucial part of his legislative agenda.

https://gonzales.house.gov/issues/pro-life

Wants to protect the lives of unborn children, yet seemingly has no appetite to protect the lives of actual, living children.

Murica.
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,168
    I know it's horrible to say it, but sometimes you just wish that these 'Pro-Gun Law' Senators and Congressmen would have their own children or grandchildren murdered by one of these Nutjobs ......and then see exactly what they think about the Gun Laws in America

Over 200 mass shootings in USA so far this Year, more than one-a-day ....... just CRAZY

So glad we live in the UK :)
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,028
    Doubleme said:

the basketball coach of the favourites to win the NBA championship refused to talk about basketball in his pre game press conference and did this instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdO4f_wYc1s

Changed his tune

• Options
    Doesn't get any lower than this.

What has Floyd got to do with a mass shooting of kids?

• Options
    edited May 2022

VespaPX said:
    Better background checks.
    Most of the mass shootings have been committed by people already known to law enforcement agencies.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,018
    VespaPX said:

VespaPX said:
    Most of the mass shootings have been committed by people already known to law enforcement agencies.
    Background checks are not the problem.

The fact that many of the gunmen were already known to the police shows that there are measures in place to flag up problem people with guns.

The key point is-they still have guns.

On another point-police in schools. This should never be routine.

There are 130,000 schools in the US. Less than 700,000 people that could be defined as active law enforcement. Once you take away holidays, shift work (clue:-a lot of crime happens outside school hours), how many people do you have left-half that?

So-you have about 40% of your available police sitting in schools. The vast majority not dealing with any crime whatsoever. 12 schools had tragedy-but 129,988 did not. I would want enough police to deal with credible threats and responding to attacks, rather than sitting around doing nothing.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

VespaPX said:

VespaPX said:
    Background checks are not the problem.

The fact that many of the gunmen were already known to the police shows that there are measures in place to flag up problem people with guns.

The key point is-they still have guns.

On another point-police in schools. This should never be routine.

There are 130,000 schools in the US. Less than 700,000 people that could be defined as active law enforcement. Once you take away holidays, shift work (clue:-a lot of crime happens outside school hours), how many people do you have left-half that?

So-you have about 40% of your available police sitting in schools. The vast majority not dealing with any crime whatsoever. 12 schools had tragedy-but 129,988 did not. I would want enough police to deal with credible threats and responding to attacks, rather than sitting around doing nothing.
    I reckon the 50 billion Biden has just sent to Ukraine could pay for a lot of school security.
  • Options
  • Options