You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

NHS has squandered £3billion on agencies to plug staffing shortages

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,055
edited December 2023 in The Rail
Grandmother, 90, with leukaemia was left in A&E corridor for 30 HOURS after splitting her head open in shocking sign of NHS crisis

A grandmother, who wished to remain anonymous and was three weeks from her 90th birthday, was stuck on a stretcher in Whiston Hospital, near Liverpool, for 40 hours.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-10968863/Grandmother-90-left-hospital-corridor-30-hours-brutal-sign-NHS-pressure.html

Comments

• tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,673
    Terrible
  • CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    I think this warrants an independent inquiry assuming we can take this article as factual.

Is this a one-off would be a good start, this is just not good enough. :|

Sad state of affairs going on these comments - what is happening with this once proud organisation and one of the UK's shining beacons? Something is very wrong here.

Feel I say this more and more on this part of the forum about Government and services. I am ashamed of our services and the UK as a whole. Words almost fail me.
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,055
    edited July 2022
    The thing I find bewildering is that so many people still think of our NHS as a shining beacon.
    This is despite the fact that they seem to blunder from one disaster to the next.
    Some of their more recent scandals have lasted for periods of 20 years and more, without being addressed.
    I think many of the staff do the very best that they can, but the management is just not good enough.
    My Father died after spending a couple of months in our local hospital, and I couldnt fault the treatment he received from the nurses, they were excellent.
    You couldnt fault their commitment throughout the pandemic, but the running of the service is not anywhere near a shining beacon.
    jme.bmj.com › content › 37/4/230Healthcare scandals in the NHS: crime and punishment ...
    The Francis Report into failures of care at Mid Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust Hospital documented a series of ‘shocking’ systematic failings in healthcare that left patients routinely neglected, humiliated and in pain as the Trust focused on cutting costs and hitting government targets.

www.lep.co.uk › health › the-nhs-scandals-whichThe NHS scandals which 'damaged so many lives' revealed in ...
    Distressing stories of acute suffering by patients, many of them children, have been revealed today in a harrowing report into three NHS scandals. An independent review found thousands of victims ...

North East widow of infected blood scandal victim furious with Sir John Major's 'bad luck' comment

A North East woman whose husband died after he received contaminated blood from the NHS, has spoken of her outrage after former Prime Minister Sir John Major said the victims ...

5 days ago
    Sir John Major calls contaminated blood scandal 'incredibly bad luck'
    BBC News

UK’s contaminated blood scandal inquiry: All you need to know

The Guardian

John Major’s ‘bad luck’ comment on infected blood scandal angers victims

Campaigners for victims of the infected blood scandal have been left “angry, annoyed and frustrated” at comments by the former prime minister Sir John Major, who said those ...

5 days ago
    www.bbc.co.uk › news › health-60434299Mothers who helped uncover the biggest NHS maternity scandal
    Next month, a report will be published into one of the biggest scandals in the history of the NHS, the failures of maternity care at the Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust. The BBC's Michael...

www.dailymail.co.uk › news › article-4849472Could this be one of the biggest NHS scandals ever?
    NHS scandal with 833 deaths at Hampshire hospital | Daily Mail Online Could this be one of the biggest NHS scandals ever? Elderly patients in fear of their lives. A morgue piled high with bodies....

www.independent.co.uk › voices › nhs-scandal-eastWe’ve just witnessed the last avoidable NHS scandal – the ...
    In the last three months the NHS has seen a number of safety scandals break – and more are certainly in the wings, waiting to be uncovered. It is easy to think, and who can blame the British ...

www.mirror.co.uk › news › uk-newsHorror of worst scandal in NHS history as 300 babies die or ...
    Horror of worst scandal in NHS history as 300 babies die or left brain damaged Botched births meant mothers and babies died and some newborns were left brain damaged, while the hospital trust was...

www.bbc.co.uk › news › health-44550913Shipman, Bristol, Stafford, Morecambe Bay - and now Gosport
    The scandals that haunt the NHS Dr Harold Shipman - Responsible for killing at least 215 patients over a 25-year period from the mid 1970s. Many were elderly women who died after he injected

www.dailymail.co.uk › news › article-4849472Could this be one of the biggest NHS scandals ever?
    04/09/2017 · This is the biggest scandal ever to hit the NHS. The way my mother Elsie died is no way to end your life.’ With the new report into Gosport Memorial deaths underway, the bereaved families should ...

www.bbc.co.uk › news › uk-england-stokeStafford Hospital scandal: The real story behind Channel 4's ...
    19/12/2019 · It was one of the biggest scandals in the history of the NHS and saw hundreds of patients die. Now the story of Stafford Hospital, told through the eyes of campaigner Julie Bailey, is being ...

www.thesun.co.uk › health › 18116182Victims of NHS maternity scandal lay bare agonising ... - The Sun
    30/03/2022 · Over 200 babies & 9 mums died in biggest NHS maternity scandal, report reveals. TOOTH HURTS I’m getting a £20k NHS payout after my girl's teeth chipped into ‘bits of rice’ Alongside the ...

www.express.co.uk › news › ukNHS scandal as 20,000 patients made to pay for ‘free ...
    31/12/2020 · NHS scandal as 20,000 patients made to pay for ‘free’ healthcare AS MANY as 20,000 patients have been forced out of the NHS and told to pay for their healthcare, figures show.

www.leighday.co.uk › latest-updates › blogMaternity safety scandals across the NHS - Leigh Day
    17/08/2021 · The cost to the NHS. NHS Resolution reported that over 2019/20 the total cost to the NHS of clinical negligence cases was £2,323 million. In fact cases concerning poor maternity care make up approximately 40 per cent of that bill – yet those cases account for only nine per cent of the claims. In the face of so many maternity scandals the NHS ...

justcaringlegal.co.uk › this-is-possibly-one-of"This is possibly one of the biggest financial scandals in ...
    18/03/2019 · “The evidence shows that over the past few years many thousands of old, ill and vulnerable people will have been denied healthcare funding to which they were legally entitled, a
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,520
    HAYSIE said:

The thing I find bewildering is that so many people still think of our NHS as a shining beacon.
    This is despite the fact that they seem to blunder from one disaster to the next.
    Some of their more recent scandals have lasted for periods of 20 years and more, without being addressed.
    I think many of the staff do the very best that they can, but the management is just not good enough.
    My Father died after spending a couple of months in our local hospital, and I couldnt fault the treatment he received from the nurses, they were excellent.
    You couldnt fault their commitment throughout the pandemic, but the running of the service is not anywhere near a shining beacon.

There are lots and lots of marvellous Doctors and Nurses within the NHS.

But, regrettably, the NHS as a whole leaves much to be desired.

It always used to be a standing joke that what really separated the British from all other nations was that, if someone trod on our foot, we instinctively apologise. But now, sadly, it is our view of the NHS.

It is the only National Health Service. No country, of any size, has adopted our model. Which is why the NHS remains the World's largest healthcare provider. The largest healthcare employer in the World. And 1 of the 10 biggest employers in the World in any industry.

You might imagine that there would be considerable economies of scale from being that size. Whereas the reverse is true. No comparable employer has so many Managers, and so few people who actually do the work. That has far simpler mechanisms for rewarding the Managers, rather than the people who do the work.

And, despite the truly tremendous work so many do, why in so many fields our survival rates lag far behind similar countries. And also why, the first thing most professionals coming to the UK to work insist upon, is to ensure that they have private healthcare.
  • EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,432
    @Essexphil absolutely spot on.
    The NHS was world leading when it consisted mainly of surgeons, consultants, doctors, matrons, sisters, nurses, orderlies and porters.....and very little management. Now it's mostly middle management and above. I doubt any of them have ever even spoken to a patient.

There has also been a massive loss of experienced GP's, surgeons and consultants recently, the press will say it's due to pressure of work and aging cohorts, however the pay structure and extremely generous pension has been a major factor.

As an example I know a GP who retired 3 or 4 years ago. About 10 years before that the powers that be dictated that they were changing GP's pay structures, moving away from a 'basic salary' to being paid based on the services provided to patients. This GP (he was on the consultation committee tasked with feeding back about the pay changes) warned them that they would end up paying GPs considerably more than they had been and he thought they should reconsideer, they ignored him.

Just before he retired he was earning in excess on £200,000 per annum and his NHS pension is now about £80,000 per annum. He went back to work during the pandemic to help with vaccinating the staff at the local hospital.

His surgery is now staffed by young GPs, all of the older doctors have retired. I asked him recently how the surgery was doing, he replied that the new GPs mostly worked part time and didn't work weekends or evening, or do house calls. He said why would you, if you could earn a very good wage whilst only working 3 days a week? He has a point.

The loss of the older, dedicated and hard working GP's has had a massive impact on A&E as a lot of the people in A&E now are there because they couldn't get an appointment with their GP.
    edited July 2022
    HAYSIE said:

That's fair enough that, the running off is the issue rather than the staff - sure you will know more than myself on the NHS state of affairs, tend to graze the headlines at times. :)

I guess I was coming from the angle of services being available to us for "free" vs the US system and other countries like it where health care is (from my limited knowledge) is not as available or harder to reach.

Don't tend to look much into the news and shining beacon was a bit of a stretch granted - it's so, so disappointing that this is happening in a so called First World Country.

Staff good - service could be a lot better o:)

edited July 2022
    HAYSIE said:

jme.bmj.com › content › 37/4/230Healthcare scandals in the NHS: crime and punishment ...
    The Francis Report into failures of care at Mid Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust Hospital documented a series of ‘shocking’ systematic failings in healthcare that left patients routinely neglected, humiliated and in pain as the Trust focused on cutting costs and hitting government targets.

www.lep.co.uk › health › the-nhs-scandals-whichThe NHS scandals which 'damaged so many lives' revealed in ...
    Distressing stories of acute suffering by patients, many of them children, have been revealed today in a harrowing report into three NHS scandals. An independent review found thousands of victims ...

North East widow of infected blood scandal victim furious with Sir John Major's 'bad luck' comment

A North East woman whose husband died after he received contaminated blood from the NHS, has spoken of her outrage after former Prime Minister Sir John Major said the victims ...

5 days ago
    Sir John Major calls contaminated blood scandal 'incredibly bad luck'
    BBC News

UK’s contaminated blood scandal inquiry: All you need to know

The Guardian

John Major’s ‘bad luck’ comment on infected blood scandal angers victims

Campaigners for victims of the infected blood scandal have been left “angry, annoyed and frustrated” at comments by the former prime minister Sir John Major, who said those ...

5 days ago
    www.bbc.co.uk › news › health-60434299Mothers who helped uncover the biggest NHS maternity scandal
    Next month, a report will be published into one of the biggest scandals in the history of the NHS, the failures of maternity care at the Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust. The BBC's Michael...

NHS scandal with 833 deaths at Hampshire hospital | Daily Mail Online Could this be one of the biggest NHS scandals ever? Elderly patients in fear of their lives. A morgue piled high with bodies....

www.independent.co.uk › voices › nhs-scandal-eastWe’ve just witnessed the last avoidable NHS scandal – the ...
    In the last three months the NHS has seen a number of safety scandals break – and more are certainly in the wings, waiting to be uncovered. It is easy to think, and who can blame the British ...

www.mirror.co.uk › news › uk-newsHorror of worst scandal in NHS history as 300 babies die or ...
    Horror of worst scandal in NHS history as 300 babies die or left brain damaged Botched births meant mothers and babies died and some newborns were left brain damaged, while the hospital trust was...

www.bbc.co.uk › news › health-44550913Shipman, Bristol, Stafford, Morecambe Bay - and now Gosport
    The scandals that haunt the NHS Dr Harold Shipman - Responsible for killing at least 215 patients over a 25-year period from the mid 1970s. Many were elderly women who died after he injected

04/09/2017 · This is the biggest scandal ever to hit the NHS. The way my mother Elsie died is no way to end your life.’ With the new report into Gosport Memorial deaths underway, the bereaved families should ...

www.bbc.co.uk › news › uk-england-stokeStafford Hospital scandal: The real story behind Channel 4's ...
    19/12/2019 · It was one of the biggest scandals in the history of the NHS and saw hundreds of patients die. Now the story of Stafford Hospital, told through the eyes of campaigner Julie Bailey, is being ...

www.thesun.co.uk › health › 18116182Victims of NHS maternity scandal lay bare agonising ... - The Sun
    30/03/2022 · Over 200 babies & 9 mums died in biggest NHS maternity scandal, report reveals. TOOTH HURTS I’m getting a £20k NHS payout after my girl's teeth chipped into ‘bits of rice’ Alongside the ...

www.express.co.uk › news › ukNHS scandal as 20,000 patients made to pay for ‘free ...
    31/12/2020 · NHS scandal as 20,000 patients made to pay for ‘free’ healthcare AS MANY as 20,000 patients have been forced out of the NHS and told to pay for their healthcare, figures show.

www.leighday.co.uk › latest-updates › blogMaternity safety scandals across the NHS - Leigh Day
    17/08/2021 · The cost to the NHS. NHS Resolution reported that over 2019/20 the total cost to the NHS of clinical negligence cases was £2,323 million. In fact cases concerning poor maternity care make up approximately 40 per cent of that bill – yet those cases account for only nine per cent of the claims. In the face of so many maternity scandals the NHS ...

justcaringlegal.co.uk › this-is-possibly-one-of"This is possibly one of the biggest financial scandals in ...
    18/03/2019 · “The evidence shows that over the past few years many thousands of old, ill and vulnerable people will have been denied healthcare funding to which they were legally entitled, a

Yes a fair few scandals there. Do fairly vividly remember the Harold Shipman one. What a horror that was, such arrogance of the "good doctor", I think then Doctor's had more sway with patients and people tended to listen to them more. He took the cheap way out and left a lot of heartbroken families in his wake too. Horrible man! :(
    Cammykaze said:

HAYSIE said:

That's fair enough that, the running off is the issue rather than the staff - sure you will know more than myself on the NHS state of affairs, tend to graze the headlines at times. :)

I guess I was coming from the angle of services being available to us for "free" at the point of use vs the US system and other countries like it where health care is (from my limited knowledge) is not as available or harder to reach.

Don't tend to look much into the news and shining beacon was a bit of a stretch granted - it's so, so disappointing that this is happening in a so called First World Country.

FYP, it certainly isn't free for most of us.
  • tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,751
    I feel compelled to comment , as my daughter is currently in hospital ( for the umpteenth time with the same thing, she can’t keep food or water down and has severe stomach pain)
    She suffers with her mental health also.

I took her in last Wednesday, she was in a very poor state.
    Every time she goes in she has to follow the same pattern, go to A&E wait up to 6-8 hours , get “assessed “ ( bear in mind she has been admitted 6 times in the past 18 months with the same problem)
    There is no “ forward plan of action”, when they eventually admit her she is in hospital between 5-7 weeks.
    She was told previously they don’t know what’s wrong, they can only treat the symptoms.
    There’s certain medication that helps if given quickly, my daughter has worked in the care industry, and knows what works for her, and what absolutely does not.

I spoke to the people who do the initial assessment and informed them of all the above, along with her very fragile mental state.

Same thing happened, she went downhill, she was pleading for the correct medication, and told them to please look at her history.

She also pleaded to see the mental health team, it was 6 days before they started the medication, and when the mental health nurse came to see her the consultant came and “ had a word “ with them telling them she was “ medically fit., they went away.
    That was the last straw.
    Luckily enough her partner diverted the taxi from where she was headed.
    When she returned to the ward, she was told by a Nurse she was very selfish for what she was going to do because she has a son.
  • tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,751
    Following on from my post above.
    My daughter and her partner had a meeting with the consultant yesterday, they asked him not to change the medication over the weekend as no doctors are on the ward , just “ on call” doctors.
    He agreed that the medication would stay the same.
    Last night my daughter was informed someone had made a mistake copying the paper request on to the computer system, they go by computer system at the weekend, her pain medication has been reduced, and the sickness medication was written as 6.52 instead of 6.25 so they can’t give her that.
    The on call doctor won’t change it as it’s prescribed by consultant.
    Jeeze @tomgoodun that's not good. I hope she gets the help she needs and someone actually diagnoses the problem, not just throws medication at the symptoms.
    Cammykaze said:

HAYSIE said:

I guess I was coming from the angle of services being available to us for "free" vs the US system and other countries like it where health care is (from my limited knowledge) is not as available or harder to reach.

I wasnt necessarily taking the pi55 out of your shining beacon comment.
    Many people wont have a bad word said about the NHS.
    Although, I think this has more to do with a wish to defend the staff, rather than the service.

Something else that many people do, as you have, they describe it as being free.
    Well who do you think pays for it then?

My wife has got a couple of problems going on, thankfully nothing serious.
    She phoned to make an appointment to see her doctor at 8.30 on Monday.
    The surgery opens at 8.30 so you cant phone before.
    She was in a queue, and by the time she got through, there were no appointments available.
    They only allow patients to book same day appointments.
    So she had to phone back at 8.30 on Tuesday.
    She did, and was informed that she was third in the queue.
    When she got through she was told that there were no appointments for Tuesday.
    When she questioned this and asked how this was possible as there were only 2 calls in front of her.
    The explanation was that her doctor was only working half the day.
    So she was off on Monday, half day Tuesday.
    Try again on Wednesday.
    Stuff like this is just annoying.
    We have probably become too used to reading about people dying while waiting for an ambulance for hours on end, or being parked in a corridor on a trolley for days.

I gave up looking for an NHS Dentist, many years ago.

They get robbed of billions of pounds worth of equipment every year.
    They get ripped off by suppliers regularly.
    The management is just very poor.

The stuff that you cant forgive is that they allow mistakes that cost lives go unchecked for 20 years.
    Enut said:

@Essexphil absolutely spot on.
    The NHS was world leading when it consisted mainly of surgeons, consultants, doctors, matrons, sisters, nurses, orderlies and porters.....and very little management. Now it's mostly middle management and above. I doubt any of them have ever even spoken to a patient.

There has also been a massive loss of experienced GP's, surgeons and consultants recently, the press will say it's due to pressure of work and aging cohorts, however the pay structure and extremely generous pension has been a major factor.

As an example I know a GP who retired 3 or 4 years ago. About 10 years before that the powers that be dictated that they were changing GP's pay structures, moving away from a 'basic salary' to being paid based on the services provided to patients. This GP (he was on the consultation committee tasked with feeding back about the pay changes) warned them that they would end up paying GPs considerably more than they had been and he thought they should reconsideer, they ignored him.

Just before he retired he was earning in excess on £200,000 per annum and his NHS pension is now about £80,000 per annum. He went back to work during the pandemic to help with vaccinating the staff at the local hospital.

His surgery is now staffed by young GPs, all of the older doctors have retired. I asked him recently how the surgery was doing, he replied that the new GPs mostly worked part time and didn't work weekends or evening, or do house calls. He said why would you, if you could earn a very good wage whilst only working 3 days a week? He has a point.

The loss of the older, dedicated and hard working GP's has had a massive impact on A&E as a lot of the people in A&E now are there because they couldn't get an appointment with their GP.

This will also have the effect of the younger doctors lacking role models.
    tomgoodun said:

Following on from my post above.
    My daughter and her partner had a meeting with the consultant yesterday, they asked him not to change the medication over the weekend as no doctors are on the ward , just “ on call” doctors.
    He agreed that the medication would stay the same.
    Last night my daughter was informed someone had made a mistake copying the paper request on to the computer system, they go by computer system at the weekend, her pain medication has been reduced, and the sickness medication was written as 6.52 instead of 6.25 so they can’t give her that.
    The on call doctor won’t change it as it’s prescribed by consultant.

Shocking.
    edited July 2022
    Enut said:

Jeeze @tomgoodun that's not good. I hope she gets the help she needs and someone actually diagnoses the problem, not just throws medication at the symptoms.

Sorry to hear about your daughter and the hassle with the NHS and her doctor. Mental Health issues can be quite debilitating, my heart really goes out to her.

I do like Enut's point on diagnosing the problem rather than throwing medication at the issue. Find doctor's are far too quick to do that - would like to see more root causes looked at.
    HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

HAYSIE said:

I wasnt necessarily taking the pi55 out of your shining beacon comment.

Many people wont have a bad word said about the NHS.
    Although, I think this has more to do with a wish to defend the staff, rather than the service.

Something else that many people do, as you have, they describe it as being free.
    Well who do you think pays for it then?

My wife has got a couple of problems going on, thankfully nothing serious.
    She phoned to make an appointment to see her doctor at 8.30 on Monday.
    The surgery opens at 8.30 so you cant phone before.
    She was in a queue, and by the time she got through, there were no appointments available.
    They only allow patients to book same day appointments.
    So she had to phone back at 8.30 on Tuesday.
    She did, and was informed that she was third in the queue.
    When she got through she was told that there were no appointments for Tuesday.
    When she questioned this and asked how this was possible as there were only 2 calls in front of her.
    The explanation was that her doctor was only working half the day.
    So she was off on Monday, half day Tuesday.
    Try again on Wednesday.
    Stuff like this is just annoying.
    We have probably become too used to reading about people dying while waiting for an ambulance for hours on end, or being parked in a corridor on a trolley for days.

I gave up looking for an NHS Dentist, many years ago.

They get robbed of billions of pounds worth of equipment every year.
    They get ripped off by suppliers regularly.
    The management is just very poor.

The stuff that you cant forgive is that they allow mistakes that cost lives go unchecked for 20 years.
    Bold 1 : I know and never took it as such - always looking to learn :)

Bold 2 : More than likely - when it comes to the operational and resource side have little points of reference.

Bold 3 : Resilience is required and really need to push your case more these days - phoned 98 times once while at work and had to excuse myself to up my medication. Had to switch off and continue to hit the re-dial button for 15 mins. This is prior to covid too. Seemed quite under resourced then can't see it being any better now.

Bold 4 : Agreed
    Mother, 34, who went to her GP complaining of headaches and was told to go home and have a MANICURE 'to cheer herself up' finds out a year later she’d suffered a STROKE

Kerri-Ann Wool, 34, discovered she had had a stroke only when she requested her medical records a year later. The diagnosis was written in her MRI results.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10978877/Mother-34-suffered-stroke-told-GP-home-MANICURE.html
    IVF pioneer Lord Winston's agony as he accuses 999 call handler of wasting time as his wife lay dying... by asking him to count her heartbeats

VF pioneer Lord Winston has accused a 999 operator of wasting time as his wife lay dying by making him count her heartbeats (pair pictured together and with their children). The Labour peer, 81, told how the call handler bombarded him with questions before dispatching an ambulance. He demanded ministers improve standards following the sudden death of Lady Winston, 72, at their home in December last year. The Labour peer spoke of his ordeal for the first time as the House of Lords debated the problem of deaths caused by delays to ambulance services.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10981615/Lord-Winston-accuses-999-call-handler-wasting-time-wife-lay-dying.html
    A friend of mine accidently ran his hand through a circular saw a few years ago. His wife phoned 999 whilst he was screaming hysterically.

Because he had clamped his hand (minus two fingers as it turned out) under his arm pit to stop the bleeding the 999 operator wouldn't send out an ambulance 'because there wasn't more than a cup full of blood'! They ended up driving themselves to A&E and then had to send someone to the house to see if they could find the fingers!

The 999 operator left their job and the 999 protocols were changed to try and prevent such a ridiculous situation occurring again.