You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

NHS has squandered £3billion on agencies to plug staffing shortages

2»

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,055
  • EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,432
    Well I had better give this thread some balance.......

On Friday our gardener had a massive heart attack. Luckily he was walking behind me at the time and I heard him hit the ground like a sack of spuds. I turned round and he was on his back, eyes open and rolled back and mouth open, but not breathing, he looked dead.

I ran into the house and shouted at my other half to 'phone 999 as Charlie had just had a heart attack!'

Then ran straight back outside and started CPR, chest compressions in time with Staying Alive by the Bee Gees, it's quite an easy one to remember.

I got the occasional breath out of him but nothing steady and controlled.

The first paramedic arrived within about 5 minutes, I carried on giving CPR while he set up the defibrillator, he shocked Charlie a total of 3 times. Within another 10 minutes we had another ambulance and three more paramedics there, they took over from me doing CPR. In total I think they shocked him 6 times.

Eventually they took Charlie away in the ambulance.

We got a text message from Charlie three hours later 'I think I owe you a day's work!'

He's currently in ICU awaiting heart surgery.

I'm a bit chuffed actually as one of the paramedics told my wife 'you should be very proud, your husband saved his life!'

I'm just so thankful I was out in the garden when Charlie had his heart attack, I had taken the day off work and was outside with him, almost every other week I would have been inside working and I'm pretty sure he would have died where he fell (he was out of sight of the house) and we would have just found him there.

Absolutely cannot fault the paramedics in the slightest, the first one got here so quickly I knew we had a chance. Brilliant and very professional.

• tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,673
    Well done excellent story you must be very pleased. Charlie must be very thankful you were there.
  • VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,272
    edited July 2022
    Enut said:

On Friday our gardener had a massive heart attack. Luckily he was walking behind me at the time and I heard him hit the ground like a sack of spuds. I turned round and he was on his back, eyes open and rolled back and mouth open, but not breathing, he looked dead.

I ran into the house and shouted at my other half to 'phone 999 as Charlie had just had a heart attack!'

Then ran straight back outside and started CPR, chest compressions in time with Staying Alive by the Bee Gees, it's quite an easy one to remember.

The first paramedic arrived within about 5 minutes, I carried on giving CPR while he set up the defibrillator, he shocked Charlie a total of 3 times. Within another 10 minutes we had another ambulance and three more paramedics there, they took over from me doing CPR. In total I think they shocked him 6 times.

We got a text message from Charlie three hours later 'I think I owe you a day's work!'

I'm a bit chuffed actually as one of the paramedics told my wife 'you should be very proud, your husband saved his life!'

I'm just so thankful I was out in the garden when Charlie had his heart attack, I had taken the day off work and was outside with him, almost every other week I would have been inside working and I'm pretty sure he would have died where he fell (he was out of sight of the house) and we would have just found him there.

Absolutely cannot fault the paramedics in the slightest, the first one got here so quickly I knew we had a chance. Brilliant and very professional.

Same sort of thing happened to me last year.
    Elderly lady neighbour collapsed in her front garden, some passers by alerted me as they were elderly too and couldn't do anything.
    I carried out CPR until police and ambulances arrived.
    They worked on her for at least 45 minutes but alas it was in vain.
    Was the hardest thing i have done in my life.
    Her ribs cracking whilst i was doing CPR still haunts me now.
  • dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,054
    edited July 2022
    Well done @Enut . I hope you are proud of what you did for Charlie and his family.
    Also thanks to the paramedics and the NHS despite being under so much pressure.

Don't forget to dock Charlie's wages while he is lying around doing nothing.😂😂
  • rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,355
    Enut said:

You've got a gairdener ?, what size is your gairden ?, seriously, well done hope he has a full recovery.
  • EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,432
    Thanks for your comments all.

@tai-gar Charlie is from old farming stock, he doesn't say a lot, but I think even he will admit that he was quite lucky (assuming they fix him when they operate).

@VespaPX that's really tough, you did as much as anyone could expect, a police officer friend of mine said it's very, very rare to get someone back through CPR. Your case was almost certainly a lost cause but well done you for stepping up and giving her a chance.

@dragon1964 I did tell him when I was working on him that he had 4 more hours to do that day so he'd better start breathing asap, that seemed to work!

@rabdeniro, yea quite a big garden, we have horses on 80% of it but the other acre needs looking after as the other half likes flowers and such like. As we both work full time the gardener is a necessity. He only does 5 hours a week but chose our place to have his heart attack, he must like us!

My Brother-in-Law was struggling on the weekend.
    He has previously had some blood clot problems.
    He thought that this was a repeat of these problems.
    My sister, who works for the NHS, phoned 111.
    She was told to get him to a hospital immediately.
    Although a 24 hour wait in A&E, made rushing to the hospital seem rather pointless.
    Fortunately he is ok.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,520
    "Squandered"?

As opposed to the RCN Members holding the country to ransom?
    As opposed to letting people die?

Like all strikes, there is a dispute between Management and Workers. And this is just one of many ploys by either side to try and show just 1 of those sides is entirely to blame.

Paid for by neither of them. Paid by us. Mostly by increased cost. With a fair smattering of increased death.
    Essexphil said:

"Squandered"?

Like all strikes, there is a dispute between Management and Workers. And this is just one of many ploys by either side to try and show just 1 of those sides is entirely to blame.

Paid for by neither of them. Paid by us. Mostly by increased cost. With a fair smattering of increased death.

The NHS have clearly had a recruitment problem for years.
    They seem incapable of solving problems.
    We have a Winter crisis every year.
    They pay agencies through the nose for staff.
    They put thousands of nurses up in hotels, at a huge cost.
    Essexphil said:

"Squandered"?

I am not even sure that they fully appreciate the staff problem that they have.
    For instance, they often quote a figure of the number of nurses that they are short of.
    They rarely have a plan to address the problem.
    But does the figure that they quote include replacing agency workers, those that are put up in hotels, and those that will leave before the problem is solved?
    They never seem able to get in front.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,520
    No-one us denying that the NHS has various problems.

Some, but not all, if these problems are of their own making.

But the current wage bill for the NHS is about £75 Billion. Seems likely that about £3 Billion was spent on temporary workers at a higher rate. People who don't have the same benefits, or job security. And who are, by and large, not some sort of mythical mercenaries-they are medical professionals. Many will be Members of the RCN.

The NHS employs over 1.25 million people. Ever since they abolished slavery, people change jobs. There will be temporary shortages which need filling. Temporary spikes in need (such as the pandemic).

The Press could suggest real improvements. But no. They'll just continue spouting nonsense instead.
    Essexphil said:

No-one us denying that the NHS has various problems.

Some, but not all, if these problems are of their own making.

But the current wage bill for the NHS is about £75 Billion. Seems likely that about £3 Billion was spent on temporary workers at a higher rate. People who don't have the same benefits, or job security. And who are, by and large, not some sort of mythical mercenaries-they are medical professionals. Many will be Members of the RCN.

The NHS employs over 1.25 million people. Ever since they abolished slavery, people change jobs. There will be temporary shortages which need filling. Temporary spikes in need (such as the pandemic).

The Press could suggest real improvements. But no. They'll just continue spouting nonsense instead.

Are they even recruiting enough to cover those that are leaving?

According to a report by the Nuffield Trust, more than 40,000 nurses left the NHS in England in the year to June 2022, which is equivalent to one in nine of the workforce. Another report by the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) states that more than 27,000 nurses and midwives quit the NHS in the year 2021, which is the highest number in four years
    edited December 2023