You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Books.

Comments

• Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,146
    if you want to read something different try Haruki Murukami, I just love him.....Quentin Jardine writes very good crime thrillers a la Graham Rankin
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,039
    HENDRIK62 said:

if you want to read something different try Haruki Murukami, I just love him.....Quentin Jardine writes very good crime thrillers a la Graham Rankin

I have a quick look and it appears that Audible dont stock any of Haruki Murukamis books.
    I will have a longer look tomorrow.
    I have enjoyed a few Quentin Jardine stories, but hated his last one, I returned it.
    Others I have given up on at least for a minute are, Harlan Coben, the Roy Grace series, Reacher, Tim Weaver, and M R Hall, I am a little daunted by the latest Cormoran Strike which is a 30 odd hour listen, and I keep putting it off.
    I do like a good reliable series where you know what you are getting.
    Characters that I have enjoyed following include Sean Duffy, Rebus, Bosch, D C Smith, Benson and Devere, Harry Hole, Jessica Shaw, Karen Pirie, Wisting, Blix and Ramm, Mark Oldfields trilogy, Garry Dishers 3 series, Cormac Reilly, Aaron Falk, Lisa Marie Redmonds cold case series, Collins and Griffiths, there are maybe a few more that I have missed.
  • Options

Day's End
    Paul Hirschhausen, Book 4
    By: Garry Disher
    Narrated by: Steve Shanahan
    Series: Paul Hirschhausen, Book 4
    Length: 8 hrs and 45 mins
    Unabridged Audiobook
    Release date: 01-08-23

Summary
    Hirsch's rural beat is wide. Daybreak to day's end, dirt roads and dust. Every problem that besets small towns and isolated properties, from unlicensed driving to arson. In the time of the virus, Hirsch is seeing stresses heightened and social divisions cracking wide open. His own tolerance under strain; people getting close to the edge.

Today he's driving an international visitor around: Janne Van Sant, whose backpacker son went missing while the borders were closed. They're checking out his last photo site, his last employer. A feeling that the stories don't quite add up.

Then a call comes in: a roadside fire. Nothing much—a suitcase soaked in diesel and set alight. But two noteworthy facts emerge. Janne knows more than Hirsch about forensic evidence. And the body in the suitcase is not her son's.
  • Options

Stigma
    Blix and Ramm, Book 4
    By: Thomas Enger, Jørn Lier Horst, Megan E. Turney - translator
    Series: Blix and Ramm, Book 4
    Length: 10 hrs
    Unabridged Audiobook
    Release date: 12-10-23

Summary
    Alexander Blix is a broken man. Convicted for avenging his daughter's death, he is being held in one of Norway's high-security prisons.

Inside, the other prisoners take every opportunity to humiliate the former police investigator. Outside, Blix's former colleagues are hunting for a terrifying killer.

Walter Kroos has escaped from prison in Germany and is heading north. The only lead established by the police is that Kroos has a friend in Blix's prison ward. And now they need Blix's help.

Journalist Emma Ramm, one of Blix's few visitors, becomes his ally as he struggles to connect the link between past and present, between the world inside and outside the prison walls.

As he begins to piece things together, he identifies a woodland community in Norway where deeply scarred inhabitants foster deadly secrets...secrets that may be the unravelling of everyone involved.
  • Options

The Detective Up Late
    The Sean Duffy Series, Book 7
    By: Adrian McKinty
    Narrated by: Gerard Doyle
    Series: Detective Sean Duffy Series, Book 7
    Length: 9 hrs and 16 mins
    Unabridged Audiobook
    Release date: 08-08-23

Summary

From New York Times bestselling author Adrian McKinty comes the next thrilling mystery in the Edgar Award-winning Sean Duffy detective series

Slamming the door on the hellscape of 1980s Belfast, Detective Inspector Sean Duffy hopes that the 1990s are going to be better for him and the people of Northern Ireland. As a Catholic cop in the mainly Protestant RUC he still has a target on his back, and with a steady girlfriend and a child the stakes couldn’t be higher.

After handling a mercurial triple agent and surviving the riots and bombings and assassination attempts, all Duffy wants to do now is live. But in his final days in charge of Carrickfergus CID, a missing persons report captures his attention. A fifteen-year-old traveler girl has disappeared and no one seems to give a **** about it. Duffy begins to dig and uncovers a disturbing underground of men who seem to know her very well. The deeper he digs the more sinister it all gets. Is finding out the truth worth it if DI Duffy is going to get himself and his colleagues killed? Can he survive one last case before getting himself and his family out over the water?
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    HENDRIK62 said:

Found him.
    Will have a look.

AUTHOR
    Haruki Murakami
    Literature & Fiction | Science Fiction & Fantasy

Follow
    Follow Haruki Murakami to get new release emails from Audible and Amazon.

Haruki Murakami was born in Kyoto in 1949 and now lives near Tokyo. His work has been translated into more than fifty languages, and the most recent of his many international honors is the Jerusalem Prize, whose previous recipients include J. M. Coetzee, Milan Kundera, and V. S. Naipaul.

Kafka on the Shore
    By: Haruki Murakami
    Narrated by: Sean Barrett, Oliver Le Sueur
    Length: 19 hrs and 8 mins
    Unabridged Audiobook
    Release date: 29-10-20

Summary
    Brought to you by Penguin.

Kafka Tamura runs away from home at 15, under the shadow of his father's dark prophesy.

The ageing Nakata, tracker of lost cats, who never recovered from a bizarre childhood affliction, finds his pleasantly simplified life suddenly turned upside down.

As their parallel odysseys unravel, cats converse with people, fish tumble from the sky, a ghost-like pimp deploys a Hegel-spouting girl of the night, a forest harbours soldiers apparently un-aged since World War II. There is a savage killing, but the identity of both victim and killer is a riddle - one of many which combine to create an elegant and dreamlike masterpiece.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Audible have a new facility, where you can choose to follow your favourite authors, and they email you when the have a new book out.
    Brilliant, saves you scrolling through page after page of random books, trying to find one you like the sound of.

My list.

Margaret Hickey

John Fairfax

Peter Murphy

Lisa Gray

Jørn Lier Horst

Heather Atkinson

William Landay

Peter Grainger

Mark Oldfield

Thomas Enger

Shelley Burr

Dervla McTiernan

Chris Hammer

Steve Cavanagh

Robert Galbraith

Dennis Lehane

John Grisham

Christian White

Patricia Wolf

Harriet Tyce

Jane Harper

Adrian McKinty

Jo Nesbo

Neely Tucker

Andrew Gross

Lissa Marie Redmond

Michael Connelly

Kate London

Nick Stone

Val McDermid

Garry Disher

Ian Rankin

Hayley Scrivenor

Karin Fossum

Amazon are also now doing this.
  • Options

Iron Lake
    Cork O'Connor, Book 1
    By: William Kent Krueger
    Narrated by: David Chandler
    Series: Cork O'Connor, Book 1
    Length: 11 hrs and 57 mins
    Unabridged Audiobook

Summary

Anthony Award-winning author William Kent Krueger crafts this riveting tale about a small Minnesota town’s ex-sheriff who is having trouble retiring his badge. Cork O’Connor loses his job after being blamed for a tragedy on the local Anishinaabe Indian reservation. But he must set aside his personal demons when a young boy goes missing on the same day a judge commits suicide—and no one but O’Connor suspects foul play.

Boundary Waters
    Series: Cork O'Connor, Book 2
    Length: 10 hrs and 52 mins
    Unabridged Audiobook

Summary
    Drawing strong comparisons to the work of James Lee Burke and Tony Hillerman, William Kent Krueger’s Cork O’Connor mysteries never fail to please fans.

The Quetico-Superior Wilderness: more than two million acres of forest, white-water rapids, and uncharted islands on the Canadian/American border. Somewhere in the heart of this unforgiving territory, a young woman named Shiloh - a country-western singer at the height of her fame - has disappeared.

Her father arrives in Aurora, Minnesota, to hire former sheriff Cork O'Connor to find his daughter, and Cork joins a search party that includes an ex-con, two FBI agents, and a 10-year-old boy. Others are on Shiloh's trail as well - men hired not just to find her, but to kill her.

As the expedition ventures deeper into the wilderness, strangers descend on Aurora, threatening to spill blood on the town's snowy streets. Meanwhile, out on the Boundary Waters, winter falls hard. Cork's team of searchers loses contact with civilization, and like the brutal winds of a Minnesota blizzard, death - violent and sudden - stalks them.

Purgatory Ridge
    A Cork O'Connor Mystery, Book 3
    Series: Cork O'Connor, Book 3
    Length: 12 hrs and 51 mins
    Unabridged Audiobook

Summary

William Kent Krueger is the award-winning author of the popular Cork O’Connor mysteries. In Purgatory Ridge, Krueger crafts a riveting tale that has ex-sheriff O’Connor on the case after a heated town debate turns deadly.

The local Anishinaabe Indian tribe is furious to discover that Karl Lindstrom’s lumber mill is after a grove of trees sacred to tribal lore. So when the mill gets bombed, killing a man, the tribe is blamed. But O’Connor has a different theory.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
  • Options
    edited July 2023

@Essexphil
    You read this yet Phil?

No. Hoping Santa has it on his sleigh ;)

Will definitely read it

The Night House
    By: Jo Nesbo
    Length: Not Yet Known
    Unabridged Audiobook
    Release date: 28-09-23

Summary
    Brought to you by Penguin.

In the wake of his parents' tragic deaths in a house fire, fourteen-year-old Richard Elauved has been sent to live with his aunt and uncle in the remote, insular town of Ballantyne.

Richard quickly earns a reputation as an outcast, and when a classmate named Tom goes missing, everyone suspects the angry new boy is responsible for his disappearance. No one believes him when he says the telephone booth out by the edge of the woods sucked Tom into the receiver like something out of a horror movie. No one, that is, except Karen, a beguiling fellow outsider who encourages Richard to pursue clues the police refuse to investigate. He traces the number that Tom prank called from the phone booth to an abandoned house in the Black Mirror Wood. There he catches a glimpse of a terrifying face in the window. And then the voices begin to whisper in his ear...

You know who I am. She's going to burn. The one you love is going to burn. There's not a thing you can do about it.

When another classmate disappears, Richard must find a way to prove his innocence - and preserve his sanity - as he grapples with the dark magic that is possessing Ballantyne and pursuing his destruction.

Then again, Richard may not be the most reliable narrator of his own story.
  • Options

Deadly Game
    By: Michael Caine
    Length: 10 hrs
    Unabridged Audiobook
    Release date: 23-11-23

Summary
    An explosive international thriller from the Hollywood legend and British icon Sir Michael Caine.

DCI Harry Taylor has no respect for red tape or political reputations - but he's great at catching criminals.

And all his unorthodox skills will be needed as an extraordinary situation unfolds on his doorstep: a metal box of radioactive material is found at a dump in Stepney, East London, but before the police can arrive it is stolen in a violent raid.

With security agencies across the world on red alert, it's Harry and his unconventional team from the Met who must hit the streets in search of a lead. They soon have two wildly different suspects, aristocratic art dealer Julian Smythe in London and oligarch Vladimir Voldrev in Barbados. But the pressure is on. How much time does Harry have, and how many more players will join the action, before the missing uranium is lighting up the sky?

Deadly Game is a compelling, fast-paced audiobook of international intrigue and twisting suspense from a legendary actor and British icon, who now proves himself to be a first-rate thriller writer.

• Options

The Exchange
    The Firm, Book 2
    By: John Grisham
    Narrated by: Edoardo Ballerini
    Series: The Firm, Book 2, Mitch McDeere, Book 2
    Length: 9 hrs and 1 min
    Unabridged Audiobook
    Release date: 17-10-23

Summary

What happened after? The riveting sequel to The Firm, the blockbuster thriller that launched the career of the world’s bestselling author.

What became of Mitch and Abby McDeere after they exposed the crimes of Memphis law firm Bendini, Lambert and Locke and fled the country?

The answer is in The Exchange.

It is now fifteen years later, and Mitch and Abby are living in Manhattan, where Mitch is a partner at the largest law firm in the world. When a mentor in Rome asks him for a favour that will take him far from home, Mitch finds himself at the centre of a sinister plot that has worldwide implications – and once again endangers his colleagues, friends and family.

Mitch has become a master at staying one step ahead of his adversaries, but this time there's nowhere to hide.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    Timeshare salesman? :)
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Timeshare salesman? :)

Holiday ownership, if you dont mind?
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,264
    edited October 2023
    I managed to find a 'photo of Tony @HAYSIE in his working days. Must have been a long time ago, he has hair.

• Options
    Tikay10 said:

I managed to find a 'photo of Tony @HAYSIE in his working days. Must have been a long time ago, he has hair.

I am thinking of getting this done.

• Options

In this short thriller from bestselling author Ian Rankin, murder comes to London’s most exclusive high-rise—and every resident is a suspect.

The Rise is a gleaming residential tower, newly constructed from steel and blackened glass, that stands on some of London’s most prestigious real estate. Looming imposingly over Hyde Park, only multi-millionaires need apply for one of its sumptuous apartments. But when the young night concierge is found murdered in the building’s lobby, the elite residents quickly find their gilded lifestyles under unwelcome police scrutiny.

Investigating officer DS Gish has her work cut out. The only suspects, those who live in the building, aren’t accustomed to police interrogation. But it seems horribly certain that one of them must be the killer. Could it be the Russian oligarch? Or the lonely actress? Maybe it’s the family of the career criminal? Or perhaps it’s the building’s reclusive developer who lives alone in the penthouse?

Obstructed continually by locked doors, governments both foreign and domestic, and an apparent absence of motive, can DS Gish solve this impenetrable mystery and apprehend the murderer—before they slip away forever?
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

The Exchange
    The Firm, Book 2
    By: John Grisham
    Narrated by: Edoardo Ballerini
    Series: The Firm, Book 2, Mitch McDeere, Book 2
    Length: 9 hrs and 1 min
    Unabridged Audiobook
    Release date: 17-10-23

Summary

What happened after? The riveting sequel to The Firm, the blockbuster thriller that launched the career of the world’s bestselling author.

What became of Mitch and Abby McDeere after they exposed the crimes of Memphis law firm Bendini, Lambert and Locke and fled the country?

The answer is in The Exchange.

It is now fifteen years later, and Mitch and Abby are living in Manhattan, where Mitch is a partner at the largest law firm in the world. When a mentor in Rome asks him for a favour that will take him far from home, Mitch finds himself at the centre of a sinister plot that has worldwide implications – and once again endangers his colleagues, friends and family.

Mitch has become a master at staying one step ahead of his adversaries, but this time there's nowhere to hide.

I watched the film before I started listening to this.
    It wasnt as good as I thought it was.
    I got halfway through the book, and returned it.
    So at least I didnt pay for it.