You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

NHS.

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,043
    tomgoodun said:

HAYSIE said:

tomgoodun said:

HAYSIE said:

tomgoodun said:

Following on from my post in another thread about the NHS
    My daughter is still in Hospital, she’s been in approx 9 weeks now.
    My wife and I had a meeting with her consultant 3 weeks ago to discuss a “ plan of action”
    It was agreed they would organise a gastric emptying as a matter of urgency, a rheumatologist appointment, a heart failure follow up, and a home care plan.
    In the 3 weeks since our meeting none of these have happened.

She saw a doctor on the ward yesterday who said she should reduce the pain meds, and ( in her words) vilified her for not looking after her child.
    The weekends are worst as they change medication, “ run out” of medication, leave the syringe driver empty for up to 12 hours.

The staff are hit and miss, she has one or two which seem to care, the rest are agency staff who struggle with the language and fail to communicate.

The doctor told her they aren’t doing the gastric emptying, and they will put her on a waiting list for something I can’t recall.

The NHS is f…..d

Can you see the consultant again to find out the answers?
    The only reason we got the meeting was because her partner had covid at the time and the nurse who cares about my daughter put us down as next of kin, I’ve asked my daughter to try to arrange another meeting but I don’t hold out much hope.

The nurse was the one pushing for the tests, which the consultant and registrar seemed reluctant to do ( The nurse suffers from what my daughter has and has a diagnosis and treatment and obviously can work)

You would think that the nurses opinion would carry some weight.
    It must be a horrible situation.
    I hope you can get it resolved.
    Thank you.

It is horrendous yes.

At the risk of sounding…..how can I put it….
    The consultant seems the type to think of women as second class citizens, every time my daughter, wife, and the nurse ( a woman ) spoke, he talked over them.
    When he eventually agreed a plan, he pointed at the nurse ( without looking at her) and said “ Write that down”
    I was gobsmacked.

My daughter had previously told me about his manner but I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, not now.

• Options
    Fake CV builder who pretended to have a PhD and an MBA to get hired as a top NHS manager - before raking in a big taxpayer-funded salary for a decade - is ordered to repay £100,000

A former builder who faked his CV to land a series of top NHS jobs has finally been forced to pay the full price for his 'staggering lies'. Jon Andrewes, 69, spent a decade working as chairman of two NHS trusts and chief executive of a hospice after pretending to have a PhD, an MBA and a history of senior management roles. When Andrewes was exposed he was convicted of fraud, jailed for two years and ordered to hand over all his remaining assets of £96,737. But the confiscation order was overturned by the Court of Appeal two years ago when judges ruled he had given 'full value' for his salary in the jobs he did.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11125189/Fake-CV-builder-landed-NHS-jobs-including-roles-trust-chairman-ordered-repay-100-000.html
  • Options
  • Options
    Nightmare tales of Britain's ambulance system meltdown are revealed: From an ex-rugby player in his 70s who bled to death internally while waiting 10 hours, to an 85-year-old woman with a broken pelvis who endured an agonising 24-hour wait

After highlighting Britain's worsening ambulance crisis last week, The Mail on Sunday asked readers to get in touch with their experiences. Scores of harrowing replies revealed the devastating impact on patients and their loved ones. And medical charities are now warning that heart and stroke patients could die unnecessarily or be left permanently disabled after suffering long delays in getting medical attention. One reader, Ava Sanderson, tries not to think about what her father James, 66, 'an avid golfer and a robust man', went through in his last hours at the Surrey flat where he lived by himself. Ava has listened to his emergency call made in May, when he sounded 'calm, not panicking'. He said he thought he was having a heart attack, though he had no history of cardiac problems. 'He rang 999 at 11.37pm. When asked if he felt as though an elastic band was pressing across his chest, he said it did. 'He knew all of us - his children and grandchildren - would have been asleep so didn't ring us. An ambulance was allocated to him at 12.30am, but that crew was diverted to another call. The one sent to him had to come from 60 miles away. He wasn't told he should keep his door open, so the fire brigade had to break the door. At just after 2am, paramedics found him dead. I'm his next of kin but no one notified me of his death. It wasn't until 8pm that night that, via one of his neighbours, I heard he'd gone to hospital.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-11129931/Nightmare-tales-reveal-human-toll-Britains-ambulance-meltdown.html
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,726
    My daughter was discharged from Hospital on this bank holiday Monday.
    On discharge the doctor gave her a prescription for a certain painkiller, which replaces 3 of the ones she was taking, and was told to go to her GP for repeat prescriptions.

She rang docs Tuesday to be told she would need to see a doctor to have it prescribed.
    “ Ok, could I have an appointment please”
    “ All appointments are gone, try again tomorrow “
    Rinse repeat, weekend upcoming, she runs out tomorrow.

She went into docs to explain to receptionist.
    “ Nothing I can do, perhaps ring 111 or go to A and E”.

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,264
    tomgoodun said:

On discharge the doctor gave her a prescription for a certain painkiller, which replaces 3 of the ones she was taking, and was told to go to her GP for repeat prescriptions.

She rang docs Tuesday to be told she would need to see a doctor to have it prescribed.

Unbelievable.

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    Tikay10 said:

tomgoodun said:

Unbelievable.

GP Surgeries seem to have a different system than I would like for triaging patients.

I would prefer it if they left an amount of time free each day for the more urgent needs of patients. Like, say, dentists have always done.

Not base it on how quickly a patient can mash the redial button at 08:30 hours...
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,494
    Those were the Day's

Anyone remember " Well Woman Clinic " Well Man Clinic " just to be politically correct.
  • Options
    N.H.S. Dentist's are becoming few & far between..... my Dentist for years only N.H.S. but now going Private , has two Clinic's and admitted he is slowly seeing less N.H.S. with view making both private. He said, not just the money but work load & life work balance. Very good Dentist all the Latest treatments pain free for now till he goes all private.
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,726
    My daughter was in hospital for 2 months.
    She saw her son at home for 4 days of the 6 week school holidays, he’s back at school today, her partner at work.
    As mentioned previously, she suffers with her mental health.
    I’m not saying she should be made a special case, but surely someone …somewhere should be able to have a smidgeon of understanding as to how this would affect even the strongest person.
  • Options
    Sadly these days it's " Don't get sick & don't get old. "
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    goldon said:

Sadly these days it's " Don't get sick & don't get old. "

To quote my old dad...

"Getting old is fine. When you consider the alternative..."
  • Options
    When your old everything is quicker than you....
  • Options
    The World is a caring place with caring people ... just need to find them.