You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Donald Tusk claims Poles will be richer than Brits by 2029 as ‘it’s better to be in the EU’

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,155
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Government announces major Brexit climbdown on scrapping EU laws

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/government-announces-major-brexit-climbdown-143857470.html

The whole idea was madness to begin with.

The vast majority of laws passed by the EU are actually either overwhelmingly dull or entirely necessary, regardless of whether we are in or out of the EU.

The previous default position was both naive and incredibly stupid. Regardless of whether you would prefer to be in or out of the EU.

We have some of the biggest challenges the UK has ever faced. A massive cost of living crisis. Rampant inflation. Corporate greed at unprecedented levels. A level of strike action not seen since the 1970s.

But the Government appeared to want to bind itself to reviewing every single EU Law in the next 7 months, or automatically repealing all not approved. An impossible, and entirely unnecessary task. So-for example-if in 3 months' time the Govt had not expressly approved an EU Law providing a requirement for exports to the EU for a particular industry, a UK business would be forced to leave the UK to ensure survival.

The UK needs to pick its battles with the EU in relation to divergence extremely carefully. Considering a whole host of things, such as cost, benefit, and optimal time to diverge.

As opposed to backing itself into a really stupid (and unnecessary) corner.

They could go into the next election on an anti-migrant, anti-EU ticket. But, if they are seen to be prioritising those things above the real challenges facing this country, they would get absolutely mullered.
    I dont really understand the Governments strategy.
    Rishi Sunaks takes every opportunity to repeat his 5 goals that he believes are important to the electorate.
    Although he is not getting anywhere with any of them.
    Just on the migrant front, I listened to a debate last night.
    It seems that when the May figures are taken into account that net migration may rise from a record 504,000 to over 700,000.
    Yet they seemed totally focused on the small boats, a very small percentage of this figure.
    I appreciate this is a problem that has to be dealt with.
    There are many better uses for the increasing 6/7 million per day, that goes on hotel bills.
    I cant understand why they include students in the figures, as they contribute to the economy, provide large profits for universities, and most go home at the end of their studies.
    Their families are a completely different matter.
    We apparently provided 136,000 visas for family members of students.
    More than 3 times the number that arrived on small boats last year.
    This doesnt really look like controlling our borders.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

There are interesting parallels between now and the 1945 election.

Prior to the Election, the Conservatives had a big majority.

The Conservatives campaigned on the fact that they had won the War, and on Churchill's popularity. Ignoring the fact that the Wartime Govt was an all-Party one.

The Labour campaign centred on the future. On domestic issues. How to ensure we would win the Peace, and how to move forward now the War was over.

Result? Largest ever Labour Majority. Tories lost more than 200 seats. Labour gained nearly 250.

Try replacing the word "War" with "Brexit".

Do you think a repeat is likely?
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,016
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

The Conservatives campaigned on the fact that they had won the War, and on Churchill's popularity. Ignoring the fact that the Wartime Govt was an all-Party one.

The Labour campaign centred on the future. On domestic issues. How to ensure we would win the Peace, and how to move forward now the War was over.

Result? Largest ever Labour Majority. Tories lost more than 200 seats. Labour gained nearly 250.

No. Simply because Sunak is more pragmatic than Johnson or Truss. And the Press will be trying to pretend that some Bogeyman will replace Starmer, disregarding the Electorate. While forgetting to mention that that is precisely what the Tories have done after the 2015 election, the 2017 election, and twice since the 2019 election.

My prediction would be Labour as the largest Party. And either close to an outright Majority, or a Majority of less than 50. We will see.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Government announces major Brexit climbdown on scrapping EU laws

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/government-announces-major-brexit-climbdown-143857470.html

The whole idea was madness to begin with.

The vast majority of laws passed by the EU are actually either overwhelmingly dull or entirely necessary, regardless of whether we are in or out of the EU.

The previous default position was both naive and incredibly stupid. Regardless of whether you would prefer to be in or out of the EU.

We have some of the biggest challenges the UK has ever faced. A massive cost of living crisis. Rampant inflation. Corporate greed at unprecedented levels. A level of strike action not seen since the 1970s.

But the Government appeared to want to bind itself to reviewing every single EU Law in the next 7 months, or automatically repealing all not approved. An impossible, and entirely unnecessary task. So-for example-if in 3 months' time the Govt had not expressly approved an EU Law providing a requirement for exports to the EU for a particular industry, a UK business would be forced to leave the UK to ensure survival.

The UK needs to pick its battles with the EU in relation to divergence extremely carefully. Considering a whole host of things, such as cost, benefit, and optimal time to diverge.

As opposed to backing itself into a really stupid (and unnecessary) corner.

They could go into the next election on an anti-migrant, anti-EU ticket. But, if they are seen to be prioritising those things above the real challenges facing this country, they would get absolutely mullered.
    I suppose that hanging on to EU laws makes a mockery of the leave campaign.
    We were apparently leaving to avoid being subject to EU laws.
    Therefore having to admit that we cant will be upsetting for the Brextremists.
    This is despite the fact that, if memory serves we were in favour of 93% of them.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

No. Simply because Sunak is more pragmatic than Johnson or Truss. And the Press will be trying to pretend that some Bogeyman will replace Starmer, disregarding the Electorate. While forgetting to mention that that is precisely what the Tories have done after the 2015 election, the 2017 election, and twice since the 2019 election.

My prediction would be Labour as the largest Party. And either close to an outright Majority, or a Majority of less than 50. We will see.
    A Lib Dem coalition could be interesting.
  • Options
    Speaker rebukes Badenoch over ‘totally not acceptable’ handling of EU law plans

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/speaker-rebukes-badenoch-over-totally-113401419.html
  • Options
    Viewers slam 'rude' and 'arrogant' Business Secretary amid 'media leaks'

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/viewers-slam-rude-arrogant-business-154636239.html
  • Options
    ‘What Are You Playing At?’ Furious Brexiteer Asks Kemi Badenoch

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/playing-furious-brexiteer-asks-kemi-114000976.html
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036

HENDRIK62 said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

‘Brexit idiocy’ blamed for tech giant ARM choosing New York over London

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/brexit-idiocy-blamed-tech-giant-091635309.html

Glad your source is from a serious news reporting service.

Seriously I have to put up with the negative impact on my life that PC and the woke, genZ offspring of entitled freaking snowflakes cause.

So those who didn't want Brexit can do the same, suck it up, accept it's done and crack on instead of constantly regurgitating pathetic diatribe in a pointless attempt to be proven right.

If the people moaning and pointing fingers put as much effort into finding answers to the problems we may well get solutions.

Glad I got that off my chest, rant over, have a peachy day.
    So the people who didn't vote for the absolute car crash that is Brexit should now try and find solutions for it?

Perhaps the utter tools who voted for it should take some responsibility for making an awful decision and they come up with solutions?

Unfortunately there are many who voted for it who will simply not admit to it being a disaster.

Happy to hear of any Brexit benefits though, if anyone has any....I'm all ears.
    Like pretty much everything in life, there are benefits and burdens.

I agree entirely with your comments about the lies that were told that caused us to leave. As has been mentioned on this thread before, there were people who wanted to blame their own inadequacies/failures on being in the EU. And somehow believed that leaving the EU would change all that.

But, regrettably, we have just swapped that excuse for another, equally daft, one. We now look to blame Brexit for everything we don't like. In exactly similar stupid circumstances. The ARM example is an example of this. London has been losing market share in this sort of thing since before 2016. The listing hasn't gone to the EU. It's gone to the USA. So-"If the people moaning and pointing fingers put as much effort into finding answers to the problems we may well get solutions."

Leaving the EU wasn't the magic bullet. In exactly the same way as rejoining would not be-quite apart from the fact that the EU (understandably) would not want us back.

Personally, I wish we had never left. But we did. We left due to a bunch of lies. But then, to be frank, we joined due to a bunch of lies, too. We joined in 1973, and only held a vote about "joining" in 1975.

The economic arguments about being in the EU are pretty clear-cut. If money is the key, we are better off in. However much the Tories claim we are better off out, and Labour tries to pretend it isn't particularly relevant.

But it is not just economics. It is no longer the European Economic Community. Or the European Community. It is the European Union. A political, as well as economic, union. Which, rightly or wrongly, as an island nation, we are distinctly uncomfortable with. The whole movement towards 1 currency, 1 army, follow the rules decided by Europe, and largely driven by Germany/France and the rules that suit a Continental land mass, as opposed to an island, is not for us.

There are benefits to being outside the EU. Not the rubbish about trying to remove all EU laws, just having the ability to choose. Are they a price worth paying? Right now, short answer, no. But going forward? More difficult question.

The sad bit is that we do not need to be at loggerheads. There are options where we could negotiate being part of the EEA. Switzerland has, like us, been notoriously unwilling to ally with the rest of Europe, but has managed to negotiate a better compromise than us.

I wish we had never left. But we have. And we need to move forward on that basis.
    Ok....

I appreciate you didn't want to leave.
    Not directed at yourself, but I'd love to hear of one tangible benefit we've had since leaving the EU. Or even one tangible benefit on the horizon.
    I remember the odious JRM saying something about not reaping the benefits for another 50 years or similar.

Which is absolutely fantastic, when most of us will be dead.

The reality is it's been a disaster, and will continue to be a disaster for decades to come.

You don't put a decision as important as that to a population filled with flagshaggers and little Englanders.
    Idiot.
    Why?
    Flagshagger, little Englander, ffs where are we Nursery School.
    Haven't you got yet another challenge/diary/whatever it is to be concentrating on?

Feel free to replace 'flagshaggers and little Englanders' with 'bigoted morons' if that is more in keeping with your preferred terminology.

Same difference.
  • Options
    Vote DUP to force Rishi Sunak to change Brexit deal, says Sir Jeffrey Donaldson

https://uk.yahoo.com/style/vote-dup-force-rishi-sunak-191558805.html
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,148

Its an evocative subject, some of the language on both sides is OTT, that said hes not wrong is he?

• Options
  • Options
    Brexit helped thwart Vladimir Putin’s Ukraine invasion, says Jacob Rees-Mogg

https://uk.yahoo.com/style/brexit-helped-thwart-vladimir-putin-094332776.html
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,016
    edited May 2023
    HENDRIK62 said:

Its an evocative subject, some of the language on both sides is OTT, that said hes not wrong is he?

Yes, he is.

There are lots of people on both sides of that debate who hold genuinely-held convictions that they are right.

Unless you are claiming all the 17.4 million who voted leave were all "flagshaggers".

Personally, I object to the term "Remoaner", but it doesn't manage to be quite so offensive.

I don't want to live in a Democracy where the only people who have a vote are people who agree with me.

A small percentage of that 17.4 million may well be racist. But then the people who campaigned for Remain did a pathetic job of pointing out the real difficulties. All it had was Project Fear. Simple problems like the land border in Ireland and the very real difficulties for the UK were not even mentioned, other than lying to the Scottish people in relation to Independence and EU membership.

Campaigners for Leave did not tell the truth. But they were effective in their skewing of facts. Whereas Remain were useless.