You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Donald Tusk claims Poles will be richer than Brits by 2029 as ‘it’s better to be in the EU’

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,152
    Essexphil said:

HENDRIK62 said:

Flagshagger, little Englander, ffs where are we Nursery School.

Its an evocative subject, some of the language on both sides is OTT, that said hes not wrong is he?

Yes, he is.

There are lots of people on both sides of that debate who hold genuinely-held convictions that they are right.

Unless you are claiming all the 17.4 million who voted leave were all "flagshaggers".

Personally, I object to the term "Remoaner", but it doesn't manage to be quite so offensive.

I don't want to live in a Democracy where the only people who have a vote are people who agree with me.

A small percentage of that 17.4 million may well be racist. But then the people who campaigned for Remain did a pathetic job of pointing out the real difficulties. All it had was Project Fear. Simple problems like the land border in Ireland and the very real difficulties for the UK were not even mentioned, other than lying to the Scottish people in relation to Independence and EU membership.

Campaigners for Leave did not tell the truth. But they were effective in their skewing of facts. Whereas Remain were useless.

I would agree with all that, except for the Irish border being a simple problem.
    Seven years subsequent to the referendum it has proved to be anything but.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,016
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HENDRIK62 said:

Its an evocative subject, some of the language on both sides is OTT, that said hes not wrong is he?

Yes, he is.

There are lots of people on both sides of that debate who hold genuinely-held convictions that they are right.

Unless you are claiming all the 17.4 million who voted leave were all "flagshaggers".

Personally, I object to the term "Remoaner", but it doesn't manage to be quite so offensive.

I don't want to live in a Democracy where the only people who have a vote are people who agree with me.

A small percentage of that 17.4 million may well be racist. But then the people who campaigned for Remain did a pathetic job of pointing out the real difficulties. All it had was Project Fear. Simple problems like the land border in Ireland and the very real difficulties for the UK were not even mentioned, other than lying to the Scottish people in relation to Independence and EU membership.

Campaigners for Leave did not tell the truth. But they were effective in their skewing of facts. Whereas Remain were useless.
    I would agree with all that, except for the Irish border being a simple problem.

I certainly wasn't claiming it was a simple problem.

Just that it should have been simple to flag up what a nightmare it was always going to be.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HENDRIK62 said:

Yes, he is.

I certainly wasn't claiming it was a simple problem.

Just that it should have been simple to flag up what a nightmare it was always going to be.

You wouldnt have to have been a genius to realise that it was going to be an impossible problem to solve.
    The Unionist reaction was entirely predictable.
    Not only to the border, but also to the prospect of ongoing EU laws.
    I would love it for someone to point out the alternatives, if Stormont vote against the protocol next year.
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,148
    Essexphil said:

HENDRIK62 said:

Yes, he is.

He didn't say all were. ....here is the original quote.
    ''You don't put a decision as important as that to a population filled with flagshaggers and little Englanders.

my understanding of this is that there are 'some',

I agree with a lot of what you say that many were misled some had vested interests and some were just wrong
  • Options
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Nigel Farage admits Brexit has 'failed' five years after he said he'd leave the UK if it did

https://uk.style.yahoo.com/nigel-farage-admits-brexit-failed-084234029.html
  • Options
    James Cleverly won’t renegotiate Brexit deal in election blow to DUP

https://uk.yahoo.com/style/james-cleverly-won-t-renegotiate-161959109.html
  • Options
    FORDAKIDZFORDAKIDZ Member Posts: 176
    Have witnessed first hand the affects of Brexit on just flying to Spain, 1 1/2 hours queing at passport control at Malaga, Air Lingus flight lands, they all sail through. Might not seem a big thing in the scheme of things but for us mere mortals things like this are not good.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,184
    HENDRIK62 said:

Essexphil said:

HENDRIK62 said:

Yes, he is.

He didn't say all were. ....here is the original quote.
    ''You don't put a decision as important as that to a population filled with flagshaggers and little Englanders.

my understanding of this is that there are 'some',

I agree with a lot of what you say that many were misled some had vested interests and some were just wrong

My understanding is that he was implying that anyone who voted leave is a small minded, racist bigot, with an unhealthy sympathy for fascism and nationalist fervor.

Anybody who holds such views is a moron, as is anyone who attributed those views to people simply because they voted in a way that was not approved of.

Ok I'm off to do challenges, plant trees, impact lives, etc.
  • Options
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,016
    The levels of ignorance surrounding "Brexit" are astounding. Even for the Daily Mail.

Let's forget for a second (or preferably longer) whether Brexit should, or should not, have happened. That was relevant in the past. It's possible it might be relevant in the future-people campaigned for 40 years for a vote to leave, so it is unrealistic to demand the Remainers can't campaign for the next 40 years to rejoin.

But where it is irrelevant is right here, right now, and where we are going as a nation.

The starting point needs to be an acceptance as to the different things "Brexit" actually means. Which is the trouble with using a soundbite for something so important.

It could be as simple as "Britain Exiting the EU". That is a 1-off thing.

But it is also being used as something as complex, and ongoing, as our trading relationship with our biggest trading partner.

That needs renegotiating and refining all the time. Possibly on a "Big Picture" basis. But definitely on an industry/sector basis.

When we came to an agreement in relation to electric cars a few years ago, we were living in a different World. We pinned all our hopes on the start-up that was Britishvolt. While it hadn't actually made a battery, we were throwing money at a Company that was believed to be worth £1 billion.

Fast forward to 2023, and we discovered that Britishvolt had no money, had been founded by 2 Swedish people with a, er, chequered past. Went bust, sacked all its workers, bought for £8 million, and believes may make a few batteries for supercars at some time in the future.

It's not just us. The EU is discovering that various of their hopes have relocated to other countries in order to make more profits.

Our current car deal effectively means that, in order to avoid tariffs, the batteries need to be made in the UK or the EU. And that is very unlikely to happen.

Absolutely naff all to do with whether we are in, or out, of the EU. Everything to do with the UK and EU needing to adjust trade deals as things develop.

A question that clinging to some vague ideal of "Brexit" has no relevance in providing answers.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

The levels of ignorance surrounding "Brexit" are astounding. Even for the Daily Mail.

Let's forget for a second (or preferably longer) whether Brexit should, or should not, have happened. That was relevant in the past. It's possible it might be relevant in the future-people campaigned for 40 years for a vote to leave, so it is unrealistic to demand the Remainers can't campaign for the next 40 years to rejoin.

But where it is irrelevant is right here, right now, and where we are going as a nation.

The starting point needs to be an acceptance as to the different things "Brexit" actually means. Which is the trouble with using a soundbite for something so important.

It could be as simple as "Britain Exiting the EU". That is a 1-off thing.

But it is also being used as something as complex, and ongoing, as our trading relationship with our biggest trading partner.

That needs renegotiating and refining all the time. Possibly on a "Big Picture" basis. But definitely on an industry/sector basis.

When we came to an agreement in relation to electric cars a few years ago, we were living in a different World. We pinned all our hopes on the start-up that was Britishvolt. While it hadn't actually made a battery, we were throwing money at a Company that was believed to be worth £1 billion.

Fast forward to 2023, and we discovered that Britishvolt had no money, had been founded by 2 Swedish people with a, er, chequered past. Went bust, sacked all its workers, bought for £8 million, and believes may make a few batteries for supercars at some time in the future.

It's not just us. The EU is discovering that various of their hopes have relocated to other countries in order to make more profits.

Our current car deal effectively means that, in order to avoid tariffs, the batteries need to be made in the UK or the EU. And that is very unlikely to happen.

Absolutely naff all to do with whether we are in, or out, of the EU. Everything to do with the UK and EU needing to adjust trade deals as things develop.

A question that clinging to some vague ideal of "Brexit" has no relevance in providing answers.

Sunak tries to delay Brexit rules in bid to save thousands of UK car industry jobs

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/sunak-tries-delay-brexit-rules-135952230.html