You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Donald Tusk claims Poles will be richer than Brits by 2029 as ‘it’s better to be in the EU’

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,148
    edited June 2023
    ‘The UK today doesn’t feel like my country’: six Britons who moved to the EU reflect on expat life post-Brexit

Brexit saw our plans come crashing down. Before, settling here had seemed so easy. We worked out that if, for five years, I spent half my time in Spain, I could apply for residency. The problem was, Richard wasn’t able to. Now that the UK has left the EU, he can only spend 90 days in Europe before taking a three-month break, under Schengen rules. EU nationals can visit the UK for 180 days all at once. In short, it means after 32 years of marriage we’re forced apart for long periods. My husband isn’t allowed to live in his own home.

We put the house up for sale two years ago, realising our hopes were no longer viable, then the sale fell through. For now I’m still here, but by the end of this year I think we’ll try to sell again. I’ll come back to the UK full time, not really out of choice. I’ve built a community here, a whole new life. Now our dreams for the next stage of our lives have been completely ruined. I’m exhausted. Emotionally and financially, we’ve paid a high price already.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/uk-today-doesn-t-feel-090039782.html
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,726
    It’s all in the wording isn’t it….

What’s the difference between an “ Expat” and an immigrant?
  • Options
    tomgoodun said:

It’s all in the wording isn’t it….

What’s the difference between an “ Expat” and an immigrant?

Yes.
    Interesting stories though.
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,037
    HAYSIE said:

‘The UK today doesn’t feel like my country’: six Britons who moved to the EU reflect on expat life post-Brexit

Brexit saw our plans come crashing down. Before, settling here had seemed so easy. We worked out that if, for five years, I spent half my time in Spain, I could apply for residency. The problem was, Richard wasn’t able to. Now that the UK has left the EU, he can only spend 90 days in Europe before taking a three-month break, under Schengen rules. EU nationals can visit the UK for 180 days all at once. In short, it means after 32 years of marriage we’re forced apart for long periods. My husband isn’t allowed to live in his own home.

We put the house up for sale two years ago, realising our hopes were no longer viable, then the sale fell through. For now I’m still here, but by the end of this year I think we’ll try to sell again. I’ll come back to the UK full time, not really out of choice. I’ve built a community here, a whole new life. Now our dreams for the next stage of our lives have been completely ruined. I’m exhausted. Emotionally and financially, we’ve paid a high price already.

Why the difference in time scales?
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

HAYSIE said:

I havent a clue, where is @Essexphil when you need him.
    Spain are apparently trying to do away with the rule for Brits.

As an EU national, you can visit the UK for up to 6 months for holidays or short trips without needing a visit visa.

You can continue to use the e-gates when travelling to the UK, but please note that your passport must be valid for the duration of your stay in the UK. You can no longer enter the UK using your national ID card unless you meet the exemption criteria which we discuss in our earlier.

https://www.gherson.com/blog/how-long-can-eu-nationals-stay-in-the-uk/

What Is Schengen?
    Schengen is the name given to the group of EEA countries including Spain that allows border-free travel within it. Almost all EU countries form part of Schengen except for Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland and Romania. Bulgaria, Croatia and Romania are currently in the process of joining the Schengen Area and the EEA states of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland are also members.

Citizens who are EU nationals can travel within the area visa-free and with no restrictions on the amount of time they spend in each country. Non-EEA nationals can travel to Schengen without a visa, but they cannot stay for longer than 90 days in 180.

https://costaluzlawyers.es/blog/the-schengen-90-180-day-rule-puzzle-explained/
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

lucy4 said:

HAYSIE said:

I havent a clue, where is @Essexphil when you need him.
    Spain are apparently trying to do away with the rule for Brits.

As an EU national, you can visit the UK for up to 6 months for holidays or short trips without needing a visit visa.

You can continue to use the e-gates when travelling to the UK, but please note that your passport must be valid for the duration of your stay in the UK. You can no longer enter the UK using your national ID card unless you meet the exemption criteria which we discuss in our earlier.

https://www.gherson.com/blog/how-long-can-eu-nationals-stay-in-the-uk/

What Is Schengen?
    Schengen is the name given to the group of EEA countries including Spain that allows border-free travel within it. Almost all EU countries form part of Schengen except for Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland and Romania. Bulgaria, Croatia and Romania are currently in the process of joining the Schengen Area and the EEA states of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland are also members.

Citizens who are EU nationals can travel within the area visa-free and with no restrictions on the amount of time they spend in each country. Non-EEA nationals can travel to Schengen without a visa, but they cannot stay for longer than 90 days in 180.

https://costaluzlawyers.es/blog/the-schengen-90-180-day-rule-puzzle-explained/
    Spain wants to scrap 90 day rule for British tourists, allowing them to stay indefinitely

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2022/11/10/spain-wants-to-scrap-90-day-rule-for-british-tourists-allowing-them-to-stay-indefinitely
  • Options
    It just seemed strange at the disparity between the two time lengths, surely if one country/union implements a 90 day rule on a country, then that country should implement the same rule ?
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

It just seemed strange at the disparity between the two time lengths, surely if one country/union implements a 90 day rule on a country, then that country should implement the same rule ? Non-EEA nationals can travel to Schengen without a visa, but they cannot stay for longer than 90 days in 180.

Obviously the highlighted bit applies to Brits.
    We were never members of Schengen.
    I assume that the 6 month rule was introduced after we left.
    I have no idea why we wouldnt introduce a reciprocal arrangement.

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,013
    edited June 2023
    It's not as different as it first sounds. 1 is effectively 3 months every 6 months. The other 6 months every year.

The next thing to say is that, subject to Freedom of Movement for EU citizens, each EU Member is free to have its own rules.

Some entered the Schengen Agreement. This means, for example, if a Japanese National has permission to enter Germany, he automatically has the right to enter, say, France for the same duration. Which makes more sense for Continental European Nations such as France/Germany/Italy. And less for island nations such as Ireland and Cyprus (and, previously, the UK).

Spain, unlike a lot of other EU nations, is highly reliant on UK nationals spending money there. So they want us to be able to bring our wallets as easily as possible.

PS-I respect anyone's right to make a new life in a new country. But, if that move is permanent, they become citizens of that country. So, when people born here have lived elsewhere, and paid tax elsewhere, for decades, there is a reason why they feel the UK is no longer their country. It is because it isn't.
  • Options
    @Essexphil if you continue to be unbiased,impartial & generally neutral whilst expressing logical arguments, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to resort to football digs at Spurs... :D
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

@Essexphil if you continue to be unbiased,impartial & generally neutral whilst expressing logical arguments, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to resort to football digs at Spurs... :D

I still dont get it.
    The only thing that makes sense is that she now has Spanish Citizenship, or right of permanent residence.
    I dont see why the length of time EU citizens can spend in the UK becomes part of her story.
    Obviously a British citizen can spend as long as they want in the UK.
    If she was still a British citizen the same rules would apply to both her and her husband.

I dont understand why we let Europeans in for 6 months at a time, when they only let us in for 3.
    That is so unlike us.
    Unless we let them in for 6 months once, because they will let us in for 3 months twice.
    Get an Irish passport.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

lucy4 said:

I still dont get it.
    The only thing that makes sense is that she now has Spanish Citizenship, or right of permanent residence.
    I dont see why the length of time EU citizens can spend in the UK becomes part of her story.
    If she was still a British citizen the same rules would apply to both her and her husband.

I dont understand why we let Europeans in for 6 months at a time, when they only let us in for 3.
    That is so unlike us.
    Unless we let them in for 6 months once, because they will let us in for 3 months twice.
    Get an Irish passport.
    I presume you are referring to the last of the 6 people.

Her Husband needs to work/live in the UK for 7 months of the year. Which he could not do if he became a Spanish citizen. In addition, if he remained a UK citizen, he could only stay in Spain for a maximum of 3 months at a time. As a single block.

They want the best of both worlds, where she lives in Spain and he lives/works in the UK 7 months of the year, and lives in Spain 5 months of the year.

The current rules for both Spain and the UK do not currently allow them to have their preferred arrangements. So they either live permanently in just the 1 country, or live apart. They've chosen to live in the UK. And whine about it.

The reason he cannot apply to be a Spanish Resident is because he wants to work in the UK.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

lucy4 said:

I still dont get it.

That is so unlike us.
    Get an Irish passport.

Her Husband needs to work/live in the UK for 7 months of the year. Which he could not do if he became a Spanish citizen. In addition, if he remained a UK citizen, he could only stay in Spain for a maximum of 3 months at a time. As a single block.

They want the best of both worlds, where she lives in Spain and he lives/works in the UK 7 months of the year, and lives in Spain 5 months of the year.

The current rules for both Spain and the UK do not currently allow them to have their preferred arrangements. So they either live permanently in just the 1 country, or live apart. They've chosen to live in the UK. And whine about it.

The reason he cannot apply to be a Spanish Resident is because he wants to work in the UK.
    It was the bit that Lucy highlighted above.
    I assume that she has residency and therefore no restrictions in Spain.
    I am not sure her husband is still in the same position, as she started splitting her time between the UK and Spain in 2015.
    I was questioning why the rules regarding EU citizens staying in the UK would affect them.
    Lucy was asking why there is a difference.
    Maybe she is just having a whinge about the Schengen 90/180 rule, which affects her husband, and just comparing that to the UK rule.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

lucy4 said:

I still dont get it.

That is so unlike us.
    Get an Irish passport.

Northern Ireland Secretary challenged ‘to do your job’ and publish Stormont plan

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/northern-ireland-secretary-challenged-job-152124330.html
  • Options
    ‘No running commentary’ on efforts to restore Stormont – NI Secretary

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/no-running-commentary-efforts-restore-142011527.html
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

lucy4 said:

I still dont get it.

That is so unlike us.
    Get an Irish passport.

Heaton-Harris: DUP needs to be shown NI is ‘integral’ to UK for Stormont return

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/heaton-harris-dup-needs-shown-182154443.html
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

lucy4 said:

I still dont get it.

That is so unlike us.
    Get an Irish passport.

Labour willing to bend UK to EU rules in return for Brexit food deal

https://uk.yahoo.com/style/labour-willing-bend-uk-eu-200240638.html
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

lucy4 said:

I still dont get it.

That is so unlike us.
    Get an Irish passport.

Sunak Faces Cabinet Row Over Post-Brexit EU Borders Deal

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/sunak-faces-cabinet-criticism-over-122016737.html
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

It's not as different as it first sounds. 1 is effectively 3 months every 6 months. The other 6 months every year.

The next thing to say is that, subject to Freedom of Movement for EU citizens, each EU Member is free to have its own rules.

Some entered the Schengen Agreement. This means, for example, if a Japanese National has permission to enter Germany, he automatically has the right to enter, say, France for the same duration. Which makes more sense for Continental European Nations such as France/Germany/Italy. And less for island nations such as Ireland and Cyprus (and, previously, the UK).

Spain, unlike a lot of other EU nations, is highly reliant on UK nationals spending money there. So they want us to be able to bring our wallets as easily as possible.

PS-I respect anyone's right to make a new life in a new country. But, if that move is permanent, they become citizens of that country. So, when people born here have lived elsewhere, and paid tax elsewhere, for decades, there is a reason why they feel the UK is no longer their country. It is because it isn't.

Badenoch slammed for ignoring Brexit realities and telling UK firms global trade ‘isn’t too tough’

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/badenoch-slammed-for-ignoring-brexit-realities-and-telling-uk-firms-global-trade-isn-t-too-tough/ar-AA1cNVaS?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=d613625e1a084a68aa8a67412091e792&ei=47
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Badenoch slammed for ignoring Brexit realities and telling UK firms global trade ‘isn’t too tough’

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/badenoch-slammed-for-ignoring-brexit-realities-and-telling-uk-firms-global-trade-isn-t-too-tough/ar-AA1cNVaS?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=d613625e1a084a68aa8a67412091e792&ei=47
    In part, I agree with Ms Badenoch. UK businesses do tend to have a "can't do" attitude. Always looking for reasons to excuse failure. Rather than adapting to the inevitable changes to trading conditions that always exist.

Having said that, I have to ask:-what "new trading opportunities" in relation to exports are as a result of Brexit? Name 1.

I can see that there may be advantages in relation to trading in the domestic UK market. Because any EU tariffs may logically make UK companies more competitive in the UK market.

But exports? The disadvantages may well be overestimated. But the advantages look non-existent to me.