You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Brexit betrayal as Labour is tipped to ‘re-align UK with EU rules'

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,038
  • Options
    Brexit: What can we expect from a deal on NI Protocol?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-64685125
  • Options
    edited February 2023
  • Options
  • Options
    Ministers 'threaten to QUIT if Rishi Sunak's Brexit deal risks Northern Ireland's place within the UK' - as PM comes under fire from Tories including Suella Braverman and Boris

Ministers are prepared to resign over Rishi Sunak's plans for a new Brexit deal if it jeopardises Northern Ireland's place within the UK, it was reported last night. One minister was quoted as saying that they and others were prepared to quit if the PM tried to ram through a deal which left Ulster beholden to existing and future EU single market rules. The minister said: 'The naivety is astonishing. The strategy hasn't worked. People won't allow something that doesn't ensure sovereignty. Ministers will resign. I couldn't look myself in the eye and vote through something I thought would undermine sovereignty in Northern Ireland.' Home Secretary Suella Braverman (bottom left) and former PM Boris Johnson (bottom right) have also waded into the debate, warning against any plans to axe the current Northern Ireland Protocol Bill.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11773745/Ministers-threaten-QUIT-Rishi-Sunaks-Brexit-deal-risks-Northern-Irelands-place-UK.html
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    edited February 2023
    Suella Braverman.

An appalling woman who has no idea how to act.

Either be in the Cabinet. Or snipe at the Government in public. Can't do both.

Unless you want to look like a power-crazed loon.
  • Options
    Turning to Boris Johnson for a minute.

I distinctly recall that, as PM, he said that any MP who did not support the PM's stance on Brexit moving forward, was to be summarily thrown out of the Tory Party. And lots were, including former Ministers.

I look forward to Boris agreeing that, in order to abide by his own rules, he and his fanboys should either vote in favour of the new deal or be ejected from the Tory Party.

Won't happen, of course.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Suella Braverman.

Why did he give her the job?
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

I distinctly recall that, as PM, he said that any MP who did not support the PM's stance on Brexit moving forward, was to be summarily thrown out of the Tory Party. And lots were, including former Ministers.

I look forward to Boris agreeing that, in order to abide by his own rules, he and his fanboys should either vote in favour of the new deal or be ejected from the Tory Party.

Won't happen, of course.

I remember that very clearly.
    Boris seems to have an aversion to rules, irrespective of whose rules they are.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Suella Braverman.

I suspect the answer is that she is marginally less dangerous on the inside, p1ssing out than the other way round.

All political parties tend to choose a Home Secretary who deflects unpopularity away from the PM.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Won't happen, of course.

He's OK when it is his rules and he is in charge :)

To be fair, he is a man with standards.

Double standards...
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Suella Braverman.

I suspect the answer is that she is marginally less dangerous on the inside, p1ssing out than the other way round.

All political parties tend to choose a Home Secretary who deflects unpopularity away from the PM.
    That policy has worked well recently.
    The last couple have been very successful.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Won't happen, of course.

Double standards...
    Not necessarily his covid rules.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Won't happen, of course.

Double standards...
    Rishi Sunak threatened with two immediate resignations over Brexit Northern Ireland talks

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/rishi-sunak-threatened-with-two-immediate-resignations-over-brexit-northern-ireland-talks/ar-AA17L7U6?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=d65ef2809da24d168182ecaa1a02d41e
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Rishi Sunak can’t compromise his protocol deal. He must face down the DUP

Yet one concession for resolving the DUP impasse this week is said to be a strengthening of the minority veto in the Stormont assembly. This entrenchment of sectarian “power-sharing” is precisely what has frozen the region’s government for most of a quarter of a century. It should be unthinkable that one party should be free to veto not just facets of Britain’s overseas trade policy but, in effect, any improvement in the UK’s absurdly ill-judged dealings with the EU over Brexit. If the DUP continues to oppose power-sharing, that sharing should be revised, not the protocol.

The dire history of British rule over Ireland merits the “reparation” of some London sympathy for eventual reunion. One day this will come. Protocol revision offers the glue of restored economic unity. Letting the DUP block such a joining would be outrageous. Sunak must know this – and know what he should now do.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/rishi-sunak-can-t-compromise-his-protocol-deal-he-must-face-down-the-dup/ar-AA17JKwg?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=d65ef2809da24d168182ecaa1a02d41e
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    When Momentum exerted undue pressure on the Labour Party, the papers were full of criticism.

It is no different to the ERG in the Tory Party. Except, of course, Labour were not running the country at the time.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

When Momentum exerted undue pressure on the Labour Party, the papers were full of criticism.

It is no different to the ERG in the Tory Party. Except, of course, Labour were not running the country at the time.

I watched a bit of Sky News this morning.
    Bernard Jenkin wants a land border.
    Kaye Burley, and Emily Thornberry both proved they havent a clue.