You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Net migration to the UK hits new record..... should we be worried ?

MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,168

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/net-migration-uk-hits-record-104820500.html

Net migration to the UK has climbed to a record half a million, driven by a series of “unprecedented world events” including the war in Ukraine and the end of lockdown restrictions, new figures suggest.

Around 504,000 more people are estimated to have moved to the UK than left in the 12 months to June 2022, up sharply from 173,000 in the year to June 2021.

Other factors contributing to the jump include the resettlement of Afghan refugees, the new visa route for British nationals from Hong Kong, and students arriving from outside the European Union.
In the last year to June, the British population grew by a record 504,000 – and yet still our businesses are crying out for workers and yet still the detention centres are full of migrants waiting up to three years to have their cases heard, often in unspeakable conditions.

In all, 1.1m people arrived on our shores and 560,000 left. The Government’s target for net migration was 100,000 – and yet the figure was 504,000.

How has the Government, under supposedly hardline Home Secretaries Priti Patel and now Suella Braverman, managed to preside over such a state, despite the Brexit promise by the same people “to take back control” of our borders.

There are some extenuating factors. We’ve, quite rightly, taken in 170,000 Ukrainians – but, ironically, there would probably be a higher number if the Government had not made such a mess of extending the welcoming hand at the start of the war.

The Government – and the media – seem fixated on the small boats crossing the channel. It is a big issue, and it is making big profits for the gangs we seem unable to stop, but the figures show that it was 73,000 who arrived in this way. So while our politicians grabbed headlines by dreaming up fantastically expensive and ineffective schemes to send this group of people to Rwanda, far more were entering the country by other means.

It does not make sense, especially as we are desperately short of people to work in agriculture, health and hospitality. Instead of dreaming up ways to capture the headlines, the Home Office has to work out what it is really doing.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/no-more-headlines-just-grip-190000892.html

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Personally I'd like to see the numbers lowered considerably. I know they say we are desperately short of people to work in Agriculture, Health/Care and Hospitality, but I'd rather see our own young people 16 - 21 year olds vocationally trained as part of initial employment, and paid minimum wage for 23+ year olds to encourage them to look to these industries as a career

As 18 year olds are considered to be adults, why shouldn't they be paid the minimum wage the same as 23+ year olds.
  • Options
    Why do so many migrants want to come to the UK, as opposed to staying in the European country they first land in ?

I think we are way too soft and should adopt a similar policy to Australia, which after all is an island like ourselves

Australia is the only country that mandates immigration detention for all “unlawful” arrivals, including those seeking protection as refugees. Australia has had one of the most punitive policies on forced migration in the world, including controls beyond the border; the current U.S. practice of caging “illegal” migrants comes close. But a key distinction is that Australia effectively punishes those who flee to the country for protection.

The harsh conditions in detention to which “unlawful” refugees are subjected have been touted by successive Australian governments as a crucial plank of its border security policy. Widespread public support for a punitive detention regime has been driven by a dominant perception since the 1980s that those arriving by boat are either “bogus” refugees – attempting “easy” entry into Australia for economic gain – or that they constitute a security threat. These perceptions are discounted by the reality that most applications for refugee status by “boat arrivals” are approved, with a very high percentage of successful appeals against adverse decisions. Yet there is persistent evidence of ongoing public support for tough border protection coupled with minimal concern about Australia’s reputational damage as a signatory to the Refugee Convention. Unfortunately these views are typically based on misperceptions about refugee movement, fuelled by negative media and government campaigns.

https://thediplomat.com/2019/08/australias-harsh-immigration-policy/
  • Options
    edited November 2022

Migration Program planning levels
    ​​​​​​​2022-23 Migration Program
    On 2 September 2022, the Australian Government announced that the planning level for the 2022-23 permanent Migration Program will increase to 195,000 places. The Government announced a detailed composition of the Migration Program as part of the Budget delivered on 25 October 2022.​

The 2022-23 Migration Program will help ease critical workforce shortages where the skilling of Australians can not yet keep pace with industry demand. The Migration Program will have a planning level of 195,000 visa places. The Program has the following composition:

Skill (142,400 places) – this stream is designed to improve the productive capacity of the economy and fill skill shortages in the labour market, including those in regional Australia.
    Family (52,500 places) ​– this stream is predominantly made up of Partner visas, enabling Australians to reunite with family members from overseas and provide them with pathways to citizenship.
    From 2022-23, Partner visas will be granted on a demand driven basis to facilitate family reunification. This will help reduce the Partner visa pipeline and processing times for many applicants.
    40,500 Partner visas are estimated for 2022-23 for planning purposes, noting this estimate is not subject to a ceiling.
    3,000 Child visas are estimated for 2022-23 for planning purposes, noting this category is demand driven and not subject to a ceiling.
    Special Eligibility (100 places) – this stream covers visas for those in special circumstances, including permanent residents returning to Australia after a period overseas.​​

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/what-we-do/migration-program-planning-levels
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,501
    Great thread wish I knew the answer, only can say ....they will weed out the free rollers...Oops ! gold diggers Oops! non refugees.
  • Options
    goldon said:

Great thread wish I knew the answer, only can say ....they will weed out the free rollers...Oops ! gold diggers Oops! non refugees.

It's just how long it's going to take :/

...... still, I suppose it will create more employment for the Government to spend money on. I wonder if ' WEEDERS' counts as Agriculture and would qualify as a minimum wage job ? ;)

Could bring a new meaning to SKYPoker Bounty Hunters B)
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,028
    If they got the processing done more quickly and if say75% failed, where do we send them back to?
  • Options
    The Problem is ... do they want to work and make new life or.... been told get yourself over here " they give you money and house for nothing.
  • Options
    I see the Promised Land
  • Options
    No need to contribute or have ....free N.H.S. if you have problem just pop in nearest GP.
  • Options
    Only Jokin Folks you know me.
  • Options
    Love is all we need....
  • Options
    VespaPX said:

If they got the processing done more quickly and if say75% failed, where do we send them back to?

From where they started their journey .

..... or if they are properly fearful for their lives in that country, then I'm sure Rwanda (or other countries wanting to increase their population) might seem like a better option
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,142
    MISTY4ME said:

VespaPX said:

From where they started their journey .

..... or if they are properly fearful for their lives in that country, then I'm sure Rwanda (or other countries wanting to increase their population) might seem like a better option
    You are aware that there is a difference between the following, arent you?
    Legal immigration.
    Illegal immigration.
    Asylum seekers.
    Student visas.
    That asylum seekers arent allowed to work.

The article that you posted makes it clear that the vast majority arrived legally.
    I dont really see the point in getting excited over an extreme set of circumstances.
    We wont be pulling out of Afghanistan again anytime soon, and I believe we left behind around 15,000 people that were promised resettlement in the UK.
    Less than 90,000 resettlement requests have been received from Hong Kong, out of the 3,000,000 that were offered the opportunity to apply for UK citizenship.
    I am not sure why anyone would moan about those arriving on student visas, as they contribute to the economy, pay a fortune to our universities, and usually return home when their education is completed.
    This will probably apply to the majority of the Ukrainians.

People arriving on study visas accounted for the largest proportion (39%) of long-term immigration of non-EU nationals in the year to June, at 277,000 people.
    The second-largest proportion of non-EU immigration in the year to June was by people on “other” visas, at 276,000 people, up from 91,000 in the year to June 2021.
    The number of non-EU nationals arriving for work reasons in the 12 months to June is estimated at 151,000, up year-on-year from 92,000.
    The ONS figures do not include the estimated 35,000 people who arrived in the country by small boats in the year to June, the majority of who have applied for asylum.

Not working
    Australia’s immigration system is not working for migrants, business, or the country,
    Home Affairs Minister Clare O’Neil warns. She said a four-month review — announced by the Federal Government last week — to look into the nation’s migration system would focus on speeding up visa processing times for bringing in skilled workers.
    Home Affairs Minister Clare O’Neil says Australia’s immigration system ...
    thewest.com.au/politics/federal-politics/home-affairs-minister-clare-oneil-says-australias-immigration-system-not-working-for-migrants-or-business-c-8842674
    thewest.com.au/politics/federal-politics/home-affairs-minister-clare-oneil-says-a…

The Australian immigration system is broken. Who knew?
    https://johnmenadue.com/the-australian-immigration-system-is-broken...
    15/11/2022 · Individual immigration applicants and sponsors obviously had no political clout and nor did applicants for Australian citizenship. Perhaps the answer is that, although there are …
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    A Migration System for Australia’s Future
    ​The Albanese Government has today announced the appointment of Dr Martin Parkinson AC PSM, Dr Joanna Howe and Mr John Azarias to guide a comprehensive review of Australia’s migration system.

The Minister for Home Affairs, the Hon. Clare O’Neil, announced the review at the Jobs and Skills Summit on 2 September 2022.

Minister O’Neil said she wants to ensure that Australia’s migration system is designed to meet the challenges facing Australia in the coming decades.

“This review and a new national strategy, A Migration System for Australia’s Future, will ensure the migration system serves Australia’s national interests and complements the skills and capabilities of Australian workers.”

“The Strategy will outline the objectives of our migration system and guide future reform. It will focus on enhancing Australia’s productivity and providing businesses with the skilled workers they need, while assisting migrants to build new and prosperous lives in Australia.”

“The review will also address some of the challenges facing Australia, including our aging population, climate change, and emerging technology,” Minister O’Neil said.

Three eminent Australians have been appointed to guide the review and conduct extensive consultations across Government with migrants, unions, business, States and Territories and key stakeholder groups:

Dr Martin Parkinson AC PSM — Chancellor of Macquarie University and former Secretary of the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet, Secretary to the Treasury, inaugural Secretary of the Department of Climate Change, and as an International Monetary Fund official.
    Dr Joanna Howe — Associate Professor in Law at the University of Adelaide and a consultant with Harmers Workplace Lawyers. Dr Howe is a leading expert on the legal regulation of temporary labour migration and was appointed to the Ministerial Advisory Council on Skilled Migration in 2021.
    Mr John Azarias — former senior partner at Deloitte in Sydney and former member of the Ministerial Advisory Council for Skilled Migration. Mr Azarias has carried out reviews commissioned by the Commonwealth Government in the areas of defence, immigration, foreign affairs and trade, and agriculture, as well as a review of the Board of Treasurers for State and Territory Treasurers.
    Terms of reference and more information about the Review is available on the Home Affairs w​ebsite.

​.....and on the bottom of the Home Affairs website.....

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Not working
    Australia’s immigration system is not working for migrants, business, or the country, Home Affairs Minister Clare O’Neil warns. She said a four-month review — announced by the Federal Government last week — to look into the nation’s migration system would focus on speeding up visa processing times for bringing in skilled workers.

Any Government (including ours) would want this if we didn't have enough skilled workers, which is where the training of our own 16-21 year olds is so vitally important, so that in the future we don't need to rely on migrants, both for skilled and non-skilled jobs
  • Options
    Legal immigration.
    Illegal immigration.
    Asylum seekers.
    Student visas.
    That asylum seekers aren't allowed to work.

Yes I am fully aware :)

I'm not as thick as you think ........ I just need the extra 'padding' to cushion your 'pointy elbows' DAVE :D

• Options
    There was a piece on NewsNight last night regarding asylum seekers, which in my mind summed up how useless they are.
    In December 2017 there were just over 29,000 asylum seekers waiting for an initial decision.
    By this year this figure had risen to over 127,000.
    They have increased the number of case handlers by 80%.
    There are now more than 1,000 of them.

We give the asylum seekers less than £9 per week.
    Although we do provide hotel rooms, education, healthcare, and food.
    They interviewed a family from Iraq.
    It was a mother and two kids.
    They had been in the same hotel room for more than a year.
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

Legal immigration.
    Illegal immigration.
    Asylum seekers.
    Student visas.
    That asylum seekers aren't allowed to work.

Yes I am fully aware :)

I'm not as thick as you think ........ I just need the extra 'padding' to cushion your 'pointy elbows' DAVE :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hwt2DOZdPs
  • Options
    In full: Suella Braverman faces Home Affairs Committee on immigratoin policy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzRmXt8hMqY
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

Personally I'd like to see the numbers lowered considerably. I know they say we are desperately short of people to work in Agriculture, Health/Care and Hospitality, but I'd rather see our own young people 16 - 21 year olds vocationally trained as part of initial employment, and paid minimum wage for 23+ year olds to encourage them to look to these industries as a career

As 18 year olds are considered to be adults, why shouldn't they be paid the minimum wage the same as 23+ year olds.

Many Brits would rather claim benefits than do menial jobs.