You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

NHS Winter Crisis.

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,420
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

In many respects, the NHS is like any other business. Obviously, its success is not measured in terms of profit-but value for money remains. As does the proper management of its staff and resources.

Imagine this is any FTSE 100 Company. With you, the taxpayer, as its Shareholders. Because Government only spends your money.

The Senior Management present you with no proposals whatsoever as to how they are going to manage changing needs and priorities. They merely present these problems as though they are nothing to do with Senior Management. And entirely the fault of the Shareholders. And lack of funding.

And the Staff simultaneously expect massive pay rises, considerably increased staffing, and believe this is irrelevant as to the destination of any additional funding. And strike while complaining that backlogs are building.

What part of Senior Management feels able to say "We must act now" while they are completely failing to act?

Some solutions are just knocked on the head.
    Like the 1% increase to NI.
    An increase in funding for social care would relieve the bed blocking problem, and improve ambulance delays.
    I appreciate that the proceeds of the increase were destined to fund the NHS black hole initially, before being diverted to social care.
    Had the increase gone ahead, and immediately used to fund social care, we would have seen immediate improvements.
    I am sure that many members of the general public would have been happy to pay the increase, and the alternative is unacceptable.
    We just seem to be going backwards.
    It has always been a downright lie that NI has anything to do with Health, Pensions, or anything that we might fondly think of as relating to "National Insurance". It is just an Income Tax going by another name. That said, the 1% would have created a significant revenue stream.

The Government has chosen to seek to increase Social Care Funding by a stupid alternative. Firstly, it has made increased funding a Local, as opposed to a National, problem. Secondly, this has placed the burden disproportionately on the poor, rather than the rich. Via the Adult Social Care Precept.

I live in a poor area, Tendring. One of the highest proportions of state-funded Care Homes in the country. Consequently, an extra 2% Council Tax rise for everyone in Tendring. Including Band A. This year. And every year. Whereas extremely wealthy parts of London, Surrey etc have few state-funded Care Homes. Or even none. So a Band G person living in Mayfair pays £0 towards it.

This is "levelling up"?

When you say "many members of the general public" it does not appear to include the fabulously wealthy, the non-doms-you know, the people who can most easily afford it.

• Options
    Devastated family of postman who died in his van after a remote GP missed his symptoms hit out at the lack of face-to-face NHS appointments

Postman died after remote GP missed symptoms, inquest hears
    Postman James Dow (pictured right) was found dead in his van after suffering severe blood loss when an undiagnosed ulcer on his foot ruptured, a coroner was told. The inquest in Winchester heard that several weeks before his death in October 2021, the 61-year-old had a phone consultation with a doctor who said he probably had gout. His family say he could still be with them if he had been able to see the GP face-to-face as the doctor would have been able to see physical evidence that she had got the diagnosis wrong. Pictured inset: A convoy of Royal Mail vans taking part in Mr Dow's funeral procession.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11600243/Postman-died-remote-GP-missed-symptoms-inquest-hears.html
  • Options
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,051

A constituent in the Bingley, Saltaire & Shipley area, concerned about the NHS Crisis, wrote to his MP, Philip Davies.

This was the reply he received, which I thought was interesting. Of course, the MP got slated on social-media, because that's the narrative these days, & we have become a nation of finger-pointers. However, it's quite possible that much of what (not all) he wrote might well be accurate.

At the bottom of the NHS ecology there are, I'm sure, hundreds of thousands of hard-working, underpaid & poorly managed staff. I suspect at the top it might be much different.

All IMO, of course.

• Options

For full disclosure, here's the Tweet, & the comments that followed.

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,077
    Tikay10 said:

A constituent in the Bingley, Saltaire & Shipley area, concerned about the NHS Crisis, wrote to his MP, Philip Davies.

This was the reply he received, which I thought was interesting. Of course, the MP got slated on social-media, because that's the narrative these days, & we have become a nation of finger-pointers. However, it's quite possible that much of what (not all) he wrote might well be accurate.

At the bottom of the NHS ecology there are, I'm sure, hundreds of thousands of hard-working, underpaid & poorly managed staff. I suspect at the top it might be much different.

All IMO, of course.

Find myself agreeing with most of that.

It is appallingly run. No doubt about that. The NHS tries to straddle the twin goals of a national health service and localised needs. And fails. Which is, of course, the exact reason why nowhere else in the World has used our model. And looks at us with pity when we big up our NHS.

The sense of entitlement in the NHS is staggering. Every time the NHS is failing it seeks to blame lack of investment. Rather than seeking to make the best use of what is does have.

The staffing at weekends is something that should have been addressed years ago. Similarly, there needs to be some form of GP cover at weekends.

I get rather tired of people attacking so-called "woke" jobs. It is a tiny fraction of the jobs. Need to start with the masses of managerial jobs which could be provided by a national service, rather than duplicated across every separate Trust.

While I am on that subject, it always annoys me when the NHS pretends it is a business, and that the Trusts need to compete with 1 another. They do not. Nor does every GP Practice need its own Practice Manager with its current remit. Half of that role could be done centrally.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

All IMO, of course.

I wouldnt disagree with very much of that.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

All IMO, of course.

I wouldnt disagree with very much of that.
    Although I dont think that The Government are off the hook.
    Exactly the same reply could have been written years ago.
    What is the point of a Health Secretary that merely stands back and watches the NHS fall apart.
  • Options
    PaintedOnePaintedOne Member Posts: 236
    have you seen the health secretary lmao talk about an advert for ill health , no wonder our nation is sick and cant get enough of it
  • Options

have you seen the health secretary lmao talk about an advert for ill health , no wonder our nation is sick and cant get enough of it

Looks ok to me for a man in his early fifties.

• Options

Do you mean the current Health Secretary, Steve Barclay? Fairly fit man-but then he's ex-Army.

Do you mean the last one, Therese Coffey?

• Options
    The Government finally appears to be taking constructive legal advice.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64209619

There are massive advantages in giving 1-off payments, as opposed to equivalent pay rises.

Suppose someone is earning £30,000 p.a. And suppose a one-off payment of 5% across the board for Nurses (or the NHS) is given.

That is £1,500. And a fair bonus for the incredible work the Health Service has done in the last 3 years. But it saves money on 2 very important fronts:-

1. Next year's pay rise is from a £30,000 base. Not £31,500. Which, year on tear, saves loads

2. As a bonus, it will not necessarily be pensionable earnings. The Final Salary Pension scheme for NHS workers costs squillions.

This should be a relatively easy sell all round. After all, Nurses pay award has been artificially low due to the timing of the pay award review-just as likely to be artificially high next year, if inflation drops in the interim (which seems likely).

But I think it very likely that this will be dressed up in such a way as to dissuade workers in other industries, for political reasons (Nurses are more popular, Government gets blame for health delays far more than train delays)
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

The Government finally appears to be taking constructive legal advice.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64209619

There are massive advantages in giving 1-off payments, as opposed to equivalent pay rises.

Suppose someone is earning £30,000 p.a. And suppose a one-off payment of 5% across the board for Nurses (or the NHS) is given.

That is £1,500. And a fair bonus for the incredible work the Health Service has done in the last 3 years. But it saves money on 2 very important fronts:-

1. Next year's pay rise is from a £30,000 base. Not £31,500. Which, year on tear, saves loads

2. As a bonus, it will not necessarily be pensionable earnings. The Final Salary Pension scheme for NHS workers costs squillions.

This should be a relatively easy sell all round. After all, Nurses pay award has been artificially low due to the timing of the pay award review-just as likely to be artificially high next year, if inflation drops in the interim (which seems likely).

But I think it very likely that this will be dressed up in such a way as to dissuade workers in other industries, for political reasons (Nurses are more popular, Government gets blame for health delays far more than train delays)

Never seen anyone clapping for train drivers.
  • Options
    PaintedOnePaintedOne Member Posts: 236
    Essexphil said:

Do you mean the current Health Secretary, Steve Barclay? Fairly fit man-but then he's ex-Army.

sorry yeah the last one
  • Options

Essexphil said:

sorry yeah the last one
    They do change rather quickly these days.

Think the most unhealthy looking (though I thought he was quite good at the job) was the late Frank Dobson-he looked like he was running a risk buying a day return :)
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Essexphil said:

sorry yeah the last one
    They do change rather quickly these days.

Think the most unhealthy looking (though I thought he was quite good at the job) was the late Frank Dobson-he looked like he was running a risk buying a day return :)

• Options
  • Options
    50,000 more Brits died in 2022 than a normal year: UK's excess deaths were worse than any non-pandemic year since 1951, data reveals as the strain mounts on the NHS

In the week ending December 30, 9,517 deaths were registered in England and Wales, which is 1,592 more deaths than usual during Christmas week and 20.1% above the five-year average.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-11621439/Thousands-excess-deaths-recorded-UK-2022-amid-ongoing-strikes.html
  • Options
    edited January 2023
  • Options