You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Threat To Quit Rights Treaty If Rwanda Blocked Again.

Comments

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,058
    edited June 2023
    HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

Essexphil said:

Over 1.2 million people migrated to the UK last year. More than 600,000 more than left this country. A record number. More than 100,000 more than the previous record of just over 500,000. Which was the year before.

Of those 1.2 million, less than 5% came by small boat. The total number of asylum applications was 76,000. Just over 6% of the total.

5% of the total gets 95% of the coverage.

If you are so desperate to come here to flee persecution, and pay £20k to a crook, you are vilified.

Whereas if you are wealthy, and pay £20k for a UK course, in you come. Rich, and promise to set up a Company? In you come. Russian oligarch seeking non dom status? Welcome.

In short-desperate, poor people hated. Middle class/rich are welcome.

Desperately wrong.

@Essexphil

That's a tremendous Post. All this hoohah about 5% of the total, & all it does is add grist to the racists mill.
    I dont think that the fact that it is 5% has any relevance at all.
    It is 5% of an inflated figure.
    There were over 91,000 people applying for asylum for the year to March 2023.

Visas issued more than double

The combined total of 1,472,162 visas in the year to March 2023 is up 53% from 960,133 in 2021/22 and is the seventh successive record high for a 12-month period since current figures began in 2005.

Labour Shadow home secretary Yvette Cooper said: “These extraordinary figures, including doubling the number of work visas since the pandemic, show the Conservatives have no plan and no grip on immigration."

She added: "The Conservatives’ chaotic approach means that work visas are up 119%, net migration is more than twice the level ministers were aiming for, and the asylum backlog is at a record high despite Rishi Sunak promising to clear it this year.”

Some 487,771 work visas were granted, along with 632,006 study visas and 65,642 family visas, plus 5,046 visas for dependants joining or accompanying others, according to Home Office figures.

In addition, 198,358 were issued under the Ukraine visa schemes, 47,227 were granted to British National (Overseas) status holders from Hong Kong, 31,550 were under the EU Settlement Scheme, and 4,562 were under other settlement schemes.

https://www.itv.com/news/2023-05-25/all-the-numbers-behind-the-uks-new-net-migration-record
    There is, and always has been, lies, da mn lies, and statistics.

So-for example-a major part of the increase in work visas is simply because we left the EU. There are thousands of jobs that used to be done by EU nationals without the need for Work Visas. Now replaced by people from outside the EU that do.

That 632,000 student visas. According to the HESA report for 2021/22, there were a total of 680,000 non-UK students at Higher Education establishments. Most of which are on 3-year visas, so logically each year should be 1/3 of that number. So-what are the remaining 400,000+ a year doing?
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Tikay10 said:

@Essexphil

Re; Universities, "No-one knows who owns them"

Really? That's an odd thing, isn't it?

I think there 132 Universities. 5 small ones are Private, and some info is available. The others all have charitable status, and are impenetrable.

Universities have totally changed, in number and size, in the last 25 years. More than 75% of Universities have an annual income of over £100 million. Total about £50 billion, half of which is from tuition fees.

Try looking up where the money goes. I have. No idea. About £600 million net profit, but no idea as to gross profit, who earns big salaries etc.

I can see why Universities were charities when they were funded by Government, rather than tuition fees. But they are now run as profit-making ventures-why charitable status?
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,326
    edited June 2023
    Essexphil said:

I agree with a lot of that. So I will just concentrate on the bits where I don't.

"I think that the net migration figure is of limited value.
    Firstly, we include students.
    They contribute to profits of Universities, and put money into the economy.
    Secondly, we include those that have arrived on work visas.
    Why would we be concerned about those that are arriving to fill vacancies, that we are unable to otherwise fill.
    Not sure where the NHS, or Care Homes, would be without them."

We include students for the simple reason that they are migrants. And it is clear that many of them never leave. Because if you get a Nursing degree, a Marriage, etc, you don't ever leave.

Universities.? As I have mentioned before, we are the only major country in the World that does not own its own Universities. No-one knows who owns them. No-one knows where the £billions of extra revenue via tuition fees/foreign fees goes. It certainly does not go to the staff-whose jobs, wages and pensions have all been drastically reduced.

Work visas? Difficult to square all this with the scare stories of thousands of Doctors/Nurses going abroad for better salaries.

"In my view there is only one way to stop the boats, and to take control.
    That is to return all arrivals back to France."

In what basis? That would be illegal. The EU had a theoretical agreement about returning refugees to first port of call. But it was never carried out in practice, because it was a logistical and legal nightmare. And-I hate to break it to you. You may have missed it. We're not in the EU any more ;)

On a side issue, I'm no conspiracy theorist. But here is something that has happened locally to me that I find amusing.

I live in Harwich. There had been a suggestion that one of the "barges" was to be moored here. Our local MP, Bernard Jenkin, has been outraged. He now assures us that the Government recognises that, due to the importance of the Port of Harwich, that is off the table.

Simultaneously, and I am sure entirely coincidentally, Bernard Jenkin used to be a vociferous supporter of Brexit and Boris. But he was on the Privileges Committee, and part of the Tory Majority that decided to end (at least for now) the career of Boris. Funny, that.

My point is that you are minimising the number of asylum seekers as being only 5% of the total.
    Although I am not sure where you get the 5% figure from.
    Apparently over 91,000 people applied for asylum, and the net migration figure was 606,000.
    Maybe you took the gross figure to make the percentage even smaller.
    I think the point is that 91,000 people applied.

As far as the students are concerned, I heard an expert on the telly the other day who said that 98% return home at the end of their studies.
    Although I just looked it up, and it seems we dont actually know.
    Brilliant.
    My point in mentioning the particular categories was merely to illustrate the 5% figure was only a very small percentage, because the total is a huge figure.

The Government apparently encouraged the Universities to take more foreign students.

I am aware that we are not in the EU any more.
    That doesnt stop us introducing legislation, or coming to an agreement with France.
    Returning them may improve the situation in France.

It would be a challenge to find an MP that wants a barge full of asylum seekers in their constituency.

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,819
    edited June 2023
    Essexphil said:

Tikay10 said:

@Essexphil

I think there 132 Universities. 5 small ones are Private, and some info is available. The others all have charitable status, and are impenetrable.

Universities have totally changed, in number and size, in the last 25 years. More than 75% of Universities have an annual income of over £100 million. Total about £50 billion, half of which is from tuition fees.

Try looking up where the money goes. I have. No idea. About £600 million net profit, but no idea as to gross profit, who earns big salaries etc.

I can see why Universities were charities when they were funded by Government, rather than tuition fees. But they are now run as profit-making ventures-why charitable status?

@Essexphil

Thanks.

I'm a little busy but I did have a quick speed-read of Oxford University's Wiki Page & spotted this....

In the fiscal year ending 31 July 2022, the university had a total consolidated income of £2.78 billion, of which £711.4 million was from research grants and contracts.

So where does the other 2 billion come from?

Cambridge generates huge numbers too...

https://www.cam.ac.uk/system/files/university_of_cambridge_group_annual_reports_financial_statements_2020-21_o.pdf

Big business, huh?

It mentions "Endowments" too which are massive, but I'm not sure I understand what an endowment is. Will have a google later.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Tikay10 said:

Essexphil said:

Tikay10 said:

@Essexphil

@Essexphil

Thanks.

I'm a little busy but I did have a quick speed-read of Oxford University's Wiki Page & spotted this....

In the fiscal year ending 31 July 2022, the university had a total consolidated income of £2.78 billion, of which £711.4 million was from research grants and contracts.

https://www.cam.ac.uk/system/files/university_of_cambridge_group_annual_reports_financial_statements_2020-21_o.pdf

Big business, huh?

It mentions "Endowments" too which are massive, but I'm not sure I understand what an endowment is. Will have a google later.
    An "endowment" is where someone leaves a load of money in their will etc to fund certain research, to award bursaries to poor people, etc.

It used to be a very important part of Universities. But now less so-about 0.8% of Revenue.

Whereas roughly 50% will come from tuition fees. Mostly paid up front by the Taxpayer. And an awful lot of which will never be repaid by the students.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

Essexphil said:

Over 1.2 million people migrated to the UK last year. More than 600,000 more than left this country. A record number. More than 100,000 more than the previous record of just over 500,000. Which was the year before.

Of those 1.2 million, less than 5% came by small boat. The total number of asylum applications was 76,000. Just over 6% of the total.

If you are so desperate to come here to flee persecution, and pay £20k to a crook, you are vilified.

Whereas if you are wealthy, and pay £20k for a UK course, in you come. Rich, and promise to set up a Company? In you come. Russian oligarch seeking non dom status? Welcome.

Desperately wrong.

@Essexphil

That's a tremendous Post. All this hoohah about 5% of the total, & all it does is add grist to the racists mill.

The combined total of 1,472,162 visas in the year to March 2023 is up 53% from 960,133 in 2021/22 and is the seventh successive record high for a 12-month period since current figures began in 2005.

Labour Shadow home secretary Yvette Cooper said: “These extraordinary figures, including doubling the number of work visas since the pandemic, show the Conservatives have no plan and no grip on immigration."

She added: "The Conservatives’ chaotic approach means that work visas are up 119%, net migration is more than twice the level ministers were aiming for, and the asylum backlog is at a record high despite Rishi Sunak promising to clear it this year.”

Some 487,771 work visas were granted, along with 632,006 study visas and 65,642 family visas, plus 5,046 visas for dependants joining or accompanying others, according to Home Office figures.

In addition, 198,358 were issued under the Ukraine visa schemes, 47,227 were granted to British National (Overseas) status holders from Hong Kong, 31,550 were under the EU Settlement Scheme, and 4,562 were under other settlement schemes.

https://www.itv.com/news/2023-05-25/all-the-numbers-behind-the-uks-new-net-migration-record

So-for example-a major part of the increase in work visas is simply because we left the EU. There are thousands of jobs that used to be done by EU nationals without the need for Work Visas. Now replaced by people from outside the EU that do.

That 632,000 student visas. According to the HESA report for 2021/22, there were a total of 680,000 non-UK students at Higher Education establishments. Most of which are on 3-year visas, so logically each year should be 1/3 of that number. So-what are the remaining 400,000+ a year doing?
    I have no idea.
    I merely posted the figures to illustrate that the small percentage that you quoted was 5% of a huge figure.
    People usually quote small percentages to exaggerate the point they are making.
    Whereas quoting an additional 91,000 hotel bills, 3 meals per day, benefits, added to the backlog, doesnt make the point quite as well.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

Essexphil said:

Desperately wrong.

@Essexphil

I have no idea.
    I merely posted the figures to illustrate that the small percentage that you quoted was 5% of a huge figure.
    Whereas quoting an additional 91,000 hotel bills, 3 meals per day, benefits, added to the backlog, doesnt make the point quite as well.
    With respect, you are not reading the figures correctly.

Firstly, the total coming in is 1.2 million-600,000 is the net figure.

Secondly, not all asylum applications are made by boat people. 1 figure is rather larger than the other. Last year, 45,000 people entered by boat. Not 91,000.

Not saying the 91,000 isn't important. It is. But half of them are being ignored in the hate speech by politicians.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Tikay10 said:

@Essexphil

Rishi Sunak will be over the moon.
    He was claiming success of his stop the boats campaign on Friday.
    Yet a record number of arrivals, in one day, for this year, arrived on Sunday.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

I agree with a lot of that. So I will just concentrate on the bits where I don't.

"I think that the net migration figure is of limited value.
    Firstly, we include students.
    They contribute to profits of Universities, and put money into the economy.
    Secondly, we include those that have arrived on work visas.
    Why would we be concerned about those that are arriving to fill vacancies, that we are unable to otherwise fill.
    Not sure where the NHS, or Care Homes, would be without them."

We include students for the simple reason that they are migrants. And it is clear that many of them never leave. Because if you get a Nursing degree, a Marriage, etc, you don't ever leave.

Universities.? As I have mentioned before, we are the only major country in the World that does not own its own Universities. No-one knows who owns them. No-one knows where the £billions of extra revenue via tuition fees/foreign fees goes. It certainly does not go to the staff-whose jobs, wages and pensions have all been drastically reduced.

Work visas? Difficult to square all this with the scare stories of thousands of Doctors/Nurses going abroad for better salaries.

"In my view there is only one way to stop the boats, and to take control.
    That is to return all arrivals back to France."

In what basis? That would be illegal. The EU had a theoretical agreement about returning refugees to first port of call. But it was never carried out in practice, because it was a logistical and legal nightmare. And-I hate to break it to you. You may have missed it. We're not in the EU any more ;)

On a side issue, I'm no conspiracy theorist. But here is something that has happened locally to me that I find amusing.

I live in Harwich. There had been a suggestion that one of the "barges" was to be moored here. Our local MP, Bernard Jenkin, has been outraged. He now assures us that the Government recognises that, due to the importance of the Port of Harwich, that is off the table.

Simultaneously, and I am sure entirely coincidentally, Bernard Jenkin used to be a vociferous supporter of Brexit and Boris. But he was on the Privileges Committee, and part of the Tory Majority that decided to end (at least for now) the career of Boris. Funny, that.

My point is that you are minimising the number of asylum seekers as being only 5% of the total.
    Although I am not sure where you get the 5% figure from.
    Apparently over 91,000 people applied for asylum, and the net migration figure was 606,000.
    Maybe you took the gross figure to make the percentage even smaller.
    I think the point is that 91,000 people applied.

As far as the students are concerned, I heard an expert on the telly the other day who said that 98% return home at the end of their studies.
    Although I just looked it up, and it seems we dont actually know.
    Brilliant.
    My point in mentioning the particular categories was merely to illustrate the 5% figure was only a very small percentage, because the total is a huge figure.

The Government apparently encouraged the Universities to take more foreign students.

I am aware that we are not in the EU any more.
    That doesnt stop us introducing legislation, or coming to an agreement with France.
    Returning them may improve the situation in France.

It would be a challenge to find an MP that wants a barge full of asylum seekers in their constituency.

But not quite such a big challenge to provide an incentive to an MP to avoid it :)
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Essexphil said:

Tikay10 said:

Essexphil said:

Tikay10 said:

@Essexphil

@Essexphil

Thanks.

Big business, huh?

An "endowment" is where someone leaves a load of money in their will etc to fund certain research, to award bursaries to poor people, etc.

It used to be a very important part of Universities. But now less so-about 0.8% of Revenue.

Whereas roughly 50% will come from tuition fees. Mostly paid up front by the Taxpayer. And an awful lot of which will never be repaid by the students.

@Essexphil

Thanks. If Wiki is to be believed, Oxford Uni Endowments are £7.7 billion, & Cambridge £9 billion, but no idea if that is cumulative or "at bank". Serious numbers. Lifetime cumulative I'm a guessing.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Tikay10 said:

@Essexphil

How rubbish do you have to be as a PM to be outsmarted by Nigel Farage?

As even that buffoon realises, people would rather travel across in the good weather...
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Essexphil said:

Tikay10 said:

Essexphil said:

Tikay10 said:

@Essexphil

@Essexphil

Thanks.

Big business, huh?

@Essexphil

Thanks. If Wiki is to be believed, Oxford Uni Endowments are £7.7 billion, & Cambridge £9 billion, but no idea if that is cumulative or "at bank". Serious numbers. Lifetime cumulative I'm a guessing.
    Oxbridge are always going to do better than other Unis on that score. Older, more prestigious, loads of rich and famous alumni, better worldwide reach, groundbreaking research in every field, etc.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

Essexphil said:

Desperately wrong.

@Essexphil

I have no idea.
    With respect, you are not reading the figures correctly.

Firstly, the total coming in is 1.2 million-600,000 is the net figure.

Secondly, not all asylum applications are made by boat people. 1 figure is rather larger than the other. Last year, 45,000 people entered by boat. Not 91,000.

Not saying the 91,000 isn't important. It is. But half of them are being ignored in the hate speech by politicians.
    Where did the rest come from?
    The whole thing is a shambles.

There were 75,492 asylum applications in the UK in the year to March 2023, relating to 91,047 people, Home Office figures show.

This is the highest total for any 12-month period since the year to March 2003, when it stood at 80,736 applications relating to 99,338 people.

Who is seeking asylum in the UK?

Albania was the most common nationality applying for asylum in the UK in the year to March 2023, with 13,714 applications by Albanian nationals, 9,487 of which came from arrivals on boats crossing the English Channel.

The number of Albanian small boat arrivals peaked during the summer of 2022 and by early 2023 had dropped below levels seen in 2021.

Afghans were the second most common nationality applying for asylum in 2022/23, with 9,606 applications, more than double the number in the previous 12 months (4,118).

The Home Office said this rise was “likely due to the ongoing conflict in Afghanistan”.

Some 90% of people arriving in the UK in the year to March 2023 on small boats claimed asylum or were recorded as a dependant on an asylum application, the Home Office said.

Overall, just under half (44%) of total asylum applications in the UK last year were from people who arrived on a small boat.

Some 78% of all small boat asylum applications since 2018 are still awaiting a decision, including 93% of those made in 2022/23.

Just over 1% of small boat arrivals applying for asylum in 2022/23 received an initial decision within the same year.

Mr Sunak says his main priority is "about illegal migration and stopping the boats" after a record 44,000 asylum seekers crossed the English Channel last year.

• Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Tikay10 said:

@Essexphil

How rubbish do you have to be as a PM to be outsmarted by Nigel Farage?

As even that buffoon realises, people would rather travel across in the good weather...
    I watched him on Laura Kuenssberg yesterday, he looked like he was making up the answers to the questions as he went along.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Albania and Afghanistan. 2 perfect examples of the shambles.

Reason for number of Albanian refugees? We have a different definition in relation to "slavery" in relation to Albanians than the rest of Europe. Which closed a loophole while we did not. Result? 2020-number of Albanians arriving in UK by boat-50. 2021-800. 2022-12,300.

Afghanistan. Most applicants are not arriving by small boat. They are the ones that were doing work for the UK on Afghanistan, many of which we promised to take care of, and changed our minds.

Going back to my "5%" figure. 44,000 of 1.2 million. Less than 4%.

As you rightly say, enormous waste of money due to spending money on political ideology in relation to Rwanda. Rather than actually processing the applications-whereupon people would either have gone or be able to work.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Reason for number of Albanian refugees? We have a different definition in relation to "slavery" in relation to Albanians than the rest of Europe. Which closed a loophole while we did not. Result? 2020-number of Albanians arriving in UK by boat-50. 2021-800. 2022-12,300.

Afghanistan. Most applicants are not arriving by small boat. They are the ones that were doing work for the UK on Afghanistan, many of which we promised to take care of, and changed our minds.

As you rightly say, enormous waste of money due to spending money on political ideology in relation to Rwanda. Rather than actually processing the applications-whereupon people would either have gone or be able to work.

It seems the Americans were also guilty of this.
    Watch the Guy Ritchie film.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Not sure Guy Ritchie is best placed to talk about dodgy American imports :)
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Not sure Guy Ritchie is best placed to talk about dodgy American imports :)
    True, its a good film though.
  • Options

What Guy Ritchie film is that?
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

What Guy Ritchie film is that?

The Covenant.