You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Threat To Quit Rights Treaty If Rwanda Blocked Again.

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,564
    Tikay10 said:

What Guy Ritchie film is that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02PPMPArNEQ
  • Options
    Government quietly awards travel firm £1.6bn contract for asylum barges and accommodation

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/government-quietly-awards-travel-firm-120309040.html
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

Essexphil said:

Over 1.2 million people migrated to the UK last year. More than 600,000 more than left this country. A record number. More than 100,000 more than the previous record of just over 500,000. Which was the year before.

Of those 1.2 million, less than 5% came by small boat. The total number of asylum applications was 76,000. Just over 6% of the total.

5% of the total gets 95% of the coverage.

If you are so desperate to come here to flee persecution, and pay £20k to a crook, you are vilified.

Whereas if you are wealthy, and pay £20k for a UK course, in you come. Rich, and promise to set up a Company? In you come. Russian oligarch seeking non dom status? Welcome.

In short-desperate, poor people hated. Middle class/rich are welcome.

Desperately wrong.

@Essexphil

That's a tremendous Post. All this hoohah about 5% of the total, & all it does is add grist to the racists mill.
    I dont think that the fact that it is 5% has any relevance at all.
    It is 5% of an inflated figure.
    There were over 91,000 people applying for asylum for the year to March 2023.

Visas issued more than double

The combined total of 1,472,162 visas in the year to March 2023 is up 53% from 960,133 in 2021/22 and is the seventh successive record high for a 12-month period since current figures began in 2005.

Labour Shadow home secretary Yvette Cooper said: “These extraordinary figures, including doubling the number of work visas since the pandemic, show the Conservatives have no plan and no grip on immigration."

She added: "The Conservatives’ chaotic approach means that work visas are up 119%, net migration is more than twice the level ministers were aiming for, and the asylum backlog is at a record high despite Rishi Sunak promising to clear it this year.”

Some 487,771 work visas were granted, along with 632,006 study visas and 65,642 family visas, plus 5,046 visas for dependants joining or accompanying others, according to Home Office figures.

In addition, 198,358 were issued under the Ukraine visa schemes, 47,227 were granted to British National (Overseas) status holders from Hong Kong, 31,550 were under the EU Settlement Scheme, and 4,562 were under other settlement schemes.

https://www.itv.com/news/2023-05-25/all-the-numbers-behind-the-uks-new-net-migration-record
    There is, and always has been, lies, da mn lies, and statistics.

So-for example-a major part of the increase in work visas is simply because we left the EU. There are thousands of jobs that used to be done by EU nationals without the need for Work Visas. Now replaced by people from outside the EU that do.

That 632,000 student visas. According to the HESA report for 2021/22, there were a total of 680,000 non-UK students at Higher Education establishments. Most of which are on 3-year visas, so logically each year should be 1/3 of that number. So-what are the remaining 400,000+ a year doing?

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,116
    Funny. But appallingly racist and offensive.

Wrong side of the line for me.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,373
    Essexphil said:

@Essexphil

100% agree.

I just don't know where all this relentless tirade about people less fortunate than us comes from, it's sickening. We've never had it so good, & yet compassion, tolerance & understanding are in desperately short supply.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Perhaps I shouldnt have posted it.

• Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

@HAYSIE

No, it was fine, it was not reflecting your view, you were just posting what you'd seen, not endorsing it. There's some dreadful stuff online, & in a way we need to raise awareness of these racists to mobilise support against them.

I should have made that clear when I commented, sorry.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Essexphil said:

@Essexphil

100% agree.

I just don't know where all this relentless tirade about people less fortunate than us comes from, it's sickening. We've never had it so good, & yet compassion, tolerance & understanding are in desperately short supply.
    I am not sure that the "we never had it so good" argument will ever stand up in a cost of living crisis.
    Whilst I agree that we should have empathy for less fortunate people, I can see why some people will get wound up.
    The whole thing seems to make no sense.
    My view is, and I have said it many times, we should take our fair share of asylum seekers, although I havent a clue what the number should be.
    We should create genuine legal routes for them, rather than force them to arrive on British soil in order for them to qualify for an asylum application.

I was watching NewsNight this week, and they estimated that as many 270 million people are on the move, fleeing persecution, wars, famine etc.
    Therefore unless anyone thinks that we could accept them all, then surely a limit would make common sense, however much empathy we feel.
    We are just getting into the Summer.
    So this is the time where the number of small boats will increase.
    Despite the backlog of 170,000 we will be obligated to put them up in hotels on arrival and increase the £6 or 7 million per day that is going out already.
    How many will arrive.
    We are completely dependant upon the people traffickers for that figure.
    It will be however many they decide to send.
    We need a system that works.
    We need to process applications in weeks, not years.
    We need to set a figure on how many we will accept each year.
    We need to completely stop small boats.
    We must open up genuine legal routes.
    All the above, as well as continuing to feel empathy for the people that are less fortunate than us.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

@HAYSIE

No, it was fine, it was not reflecting your view, you were just posting what you'd seen, not endorsing it. There's some dreadful stuff online, & in a way we need to raise awareness of these racists to mobilise support against them.

I should have made that clear when I commented, sorry.
    It may have been funny at a different time.
    Not funny after recent events in Greece.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    "I am not sure that the "we never had it so good" argument will ever stand up in a cost of living crisis."

I'm not convinced by that. Yes, many are suffering, I get that, & we should help them, but it's all relative.

A typical modern family in the UK - Mum & Dad, 2 kids - have at least one car, at least two colour TV's, 4 mobile 'phones, a fridge, a freezer & maybe subscriptions to Sky TV, Amazon, Netflix etc. Are all these things really "necessities"?

It's all bit different to what you & I grew up with.

Life presents us all with challenges, but in many cases it's up to us to deal with them, not just expect the State to help us. State help should be reserved for those in genuine need, & yes, there ARE plenty who need it & deserve it.

And overall, the cost of compassion to genuine refugees is no big deal. Think of the money we waste on Defence, for example.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

"I am not sure that the "we never had it so good" argument will ever stand up in a cost of living crisis."

I'm not convinced by that. Yes, many are suffering, I get that, & we should help them, but it's all relative.

Yes its all relative, but I dont think you can have it both ways, many are suffering, and we have never had it so good.

A typical modern family in the UK - Mum & Dad, 2 kids - have at least one car, at least two colour TV's, 4 mobile 'phones, a fridge, a freezer & maybe subscriptions to Sky TV, Amazon, Netflix etc. Are all these things really "necessities"?

Those things are obviously not necessities, although some would disagree.
    I think many people are seeing a massive difference in life pre, and post pandemic.
    They had all those things pre pandemic, and many will still have them.
    The difference is that interest rates have gone up, the average mortgage has apparently increased by £273 per month, energy bills have rocketed, Council Tax has increased, as have water rates, food costs by around 19%.
    So many that were comfortable pre pandemic are struggling now.
    There are press reports of nurses, teachers, and armed forces personnel etc, being forced to use foodbanks.
    Nevertheless, I still believe we should take our fair share of asylum seekers.

It's all bit different to what you & I grew up with.

Totally.
    Benefits were means tested, and there were no foodbanks.

Life presents us all with challenges, but in many cases it's up to us to deal with them, not just expect the State to help us. State help should be reserved for those in genuine need, & yes, there ARE plenty who need it & deserve it.

I agree.
    Some people that are drawing benefits should be working.

And overall, the cost of compassion to genuine refugees is no big deal. Think of the money we waste on Defence, for example.

I think we probably waste money in lots of areas.
    Putting asylum seekers up in hotels is just one of them.
    I am not sure of the real cost of this.
    The 6, or 7 million per day just covers the hotel bills.
    They get a small amount of benefits on top.
    There are a number of things that could help with this.
    Firstly, if the government was capable of processing them quicker that would help.
    Secondly, we have vacancies that we cant fill, yet we dont allow them to work.
    I think those asylum seekers that would be prepared to get off their backsides and find a job should be able to fast track their applications, in comparison to those that werent.
    Assuming the government allowed them to work.

The billions that are spent on hotel bills over the year could be far better spent on things like social care for instance, but that should never stop us feeling empathy for those that are less fortunate than we are.

I am in a fortunate position, but if I had to rely solely on the state pension, I would be struggling now.

• Options
    Albanian people smugglers selling fake family packages on TikTok for £30k

Albanian migrants who entered the UK illegally are being provided with fake wives and children so they can stay in the country in return for paying up to £30,000, an investigation has found.

The sham “marriages” are being promoted on the social media platform TikTok by Albanian gangs who have recruited single mothers with children to provide the documentary evidence.

They are being offered to Albanian prisoners who want to fight deportation from the UK as well as migrants who have entered the UK illegally.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/albanian-people-smugglers-selling-fake-135318632.html
  • Options
    Hotel tycoon dubbed the 'Asylum King' rakes in nearly £100,000 a day while his chain makes pre-tax profit of £33.4 million after scoring lucrative contracts to house migrants

Britannia Hotels is estimated to house one in 10 people seeking asylum in the UK and has reported a profit of nearly £100,000 per day. It is understood that this is Britannia's best return since the 1970s.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12208129/Hotel-tycoon-rakes-nearly-100-000-day-scoring-contracts-house-migrants.html
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,116
    Britannia Hotel stays.

I wouldn't wish that on anybody. Horrid places.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Britannia Hotel stays.

I wouldn't wish that on anybody. Horrid places.

Yeah there have been a couple of posts about them from people that stayed with them on some of the SPTs.
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,119
    Man caught crossing English Channel was living in UK for years illegally and returning to his Kent home after a week in France.

A man who was caught crossing the channel in a small boat had been living in this country for years illegally but popped to France for a week for a visit.

Dalyit Singh was found in a boat along with others crossing the English Channel on June 11, as he was trying to and get back to his home in Medway.

He had apparently set off from the French coast but was intercepted by Border Force officers in UK waters.

Folkestone Magistrates’ Court heard he had previously entered this country illegally in 2006 and had been jailed for 12 months.

However, that didn't stop the 52-year-old leaving Kent to visit France for a week, but on his way back, the small boat he was travelling in was intercepted.

He, along with the others in the vessel, was taken to Dover and then taken to Manston immigration processing centre in Thanet.

Once his identity was confirmed, it was found he had no clearance to enter the UK and had not applied for it.

As a result, he was charged with arriving in the UK without valid entry clearance and admitted the offence when he appeared at before magistrates on June 13. He gave an address to the court of High Street, Strood.

Christina Rowberry, prosecuting, said: “This is a classic small boat case which was discovered in UK waters and had set off from the French coast on June 11.

“Everyone on the boat was taken to Manston and he was identified and had no clearance and had not applied for clearance.

“An aggravating feature in this case was he has a previous conviction [for doing the same] as in 2006 he first entered the UK saying he was trying to get employment. It is unknown how he got here.

“He was arrested in 2007 for illegal entry and a French passport was found in his possession. He appeared at Maidstone Crown Court and served a 12 month sentence.”

District Judge Justin Barron also heard Singh, who speaks Punjabi, should then have presented himself to the immigration authorities as he was due to be deported but had absconded. His location up until this month was unknown.

Ms Rowberry added: “His location has not been known since. He’s aware of the process involved and needs clearance to enter the UK.

“And in his own account [to the authorities], he said he had been to France for week and had tried to come back.”

Judge Barron decided to send Singh’s case to the Canterbury Crown Court to be dealt with and he was remanded in custody until then.

The date of his sentencing is yet to be fixed.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/news/man-caught-crossing-channel-trying-to-get-back-after-france-288532/
  • Options
    legascaaclegascaac Member Posts: 124
    hate to say this but if they can afford thousands probably not a real refugee..... or why not go through process in france .... cheaper than a flimsy boat at thousands off pounds a hate to say this even more but only way to stop boats is to shoot n sink them they will stop coming then ....horrible to say... but thats only way to stop it quickly .... 6 million a day...... get it sorted tories ........... we need to help our own first with this cost off living crisis ... get the refugees here processed and make it crystal clear any more coming will be returned to there own country and send them straight back.....then they have to go through the right process in france to get here .... its hard but only way to give people on south coast down there a rest from it the country already overpopulated down south and it needs to stop sorry folks really horrible way to say it but needs to be ----