You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Music chatter

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,076

We seem to have plenty of music lovers here, though I'm beyond appalled at some of the junk they listen to. I'm looking at you @green_beer @waller02 @rabdeniro @Essexphil & many many more.

Anyway, this thread is for general music chatter.

Comments

• Options

I'll get the ball rolling with this.

What were the first few albums you purchased? (They were called "Long Players" or "LP's" in those days).

And have they stood the test of time?

I think these were amongst my first three. The Rod Stewart one has aged well & still sounds great, as does much of Ziggy. Tubular Bells, not so much.

Bowie, of course, has long since passed away, but the other two are still alive & kicking, some 50 years on from those albums.

• Options

I noticed that Sir Rod Stewart is doing a UK Tour this year, not newsworthy in itself, but his support act is Culture Club.

Seriously? That's a VERY odd mix.

Did anyone, ever, anywhere, enjoy Culture Club's music? Surely not.

• Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,162
    These were the first 3 albums that I don't mind anyone knowing I bought (I think pretty much all of them stand the test of time)but I also have to admit to having bought 'Grease' and an Abba one with a helicopter on the front.

• Options

@HENDRIK62

I'm not sure you should admit to owning the Grease album.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,078
    edited April 2023
    Tikay10 said:

I noticed that Sir Rod Stewart is doing a UK Tour this year, not newsworthy in itself, but his support act is Culture Club.

Seriously? That's a VERY odd mix.

Did anyone, ever, anywhere, enjoy Culture Club's music? Surely not.

My brother-in-law is a jazz trumpeter. For those of a certain age in Nottingham, he started out in Cisco. He has played with most of the jazz greats. But I won't let him forget that 1 of his jazz bands supported Rod Stewart on a UK tour in 2011 ;)

He also regularly guests with 1 of the best-named jazz bands. "Tony's Cronies"
  • Options
    ToffeeandyToffeeandy Member Posts: 910
    First 3 albums I bought:

• Options
    ToffeeandyToffeeandy Member Posts: 910
    edited April 2023
    Re Culture Club, a bit before my time but some decent enough tunes, Boy George had some voice; he later became a pretty good DJ and I saw him a couple of times at a club I went to when I was a lad, Room At The Top in Bathgate. That club is now a large softplay/laser quest centre where I've taken my kids a few times!
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,282
    If not the first three they were certainly amongst the first few I bought...

Although I seem to be in a minority that likes female vocals, certainly on Sky Poker.
    I don't think anyone can disagree with Fleetwood Mac and Kate Bush standing the test of time, although Toyah is more famous now for her and her husband's YouTube exploits!
  • Options

@Enut

Goodness me, I'd never seen or heard of that until now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiJH8TenrrQ
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,282
    Tikay10 said:

@Enut

Goodness me, I'd never seen or heard of that until now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiJH8TenrrQ

Who would have guessed you'd see Robert Fripp dancing to Swan Lake in a black Tutu in his 70's?

p.s. congratulations on finding one of the tamer Sunday Lunch videos!
  • Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,779
    @Tikay10
    If I post the first album I ever bought, think I I would definitely maybe get a perma ban :)
  • Options

@Enut

There were worse than that? Yikes.

Lockdown was so weird when we look back on it. To be honest, I quite enjoyed it in many ways. Love a bit of solitude, me.
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,229
    Tikay10 said:

I'll get the ball rolling with this.

What were the first few albums you purchased? (They were called "Long Players" or "LP's" in those days).

And have they stood the test of time?

I think these were amongst my first three. The Rod Stewart one has aged well & still sounds great, as does much of Ziggy. Tubular Bells, not so much.

Bowie, of course, has long since passed away, but the other two are still alive & kicking, some 50 years on from those albums.

Ah still play Tubular Bells every now and again, good to sit with lights oot chillin with a shandy.
  • Options
    Another album I think was one of my first was non jovi, cross roads.
  • Options

@Tikay10
    If I post the first album I ever bought, think I I would definitely maybe get a perma ban :)

@green_beer

Don't tempt me, you are living on the edge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nqcL0mjMjw
  • Options

Another album I think was one of my first was non jovi, cross roads.

@green_beer

Now you are either taking the pee or trolling. Bon Jovi? Seriously?
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,229
    Ah didn't buy many albums when ah was young but ah remember when ma older sister was movin oot ah swiped some of hers, the ones come to mind were......

Loved the songs " Ride a white swan and Debora " ( at the time )

Ah liked death on two legs and I'm in love with my car ( Don't like Queen )

Liked the song " Julia "

Because ah liked the song " You're the only one Joe ".
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,021
    Very first album I bought was Bad by MJ in about 1989. Not really a huge fan of his, I was only 8. Then the early 90s came along and I was swept away by Grunge and Metal.

I have a very broad taste in music though, love Take That, love Westlife, big Elton fan then also a huge Slipknot fan. All depends what mood I'm in.
  • Options
    Lmao @ Bon Jo I….

The score by the fugees, was probly my favourite album back then, still play it today, but not heard the Bon jovi one since probly 1995.
  • Options
    You 60s n 70s kids were blessed.