You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

is it to early to dare to dream?

DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,586
edited April 2023 in Sports & Betting Chat
so I have booed southampton for over 28 years now and I have seen them time and time again pull of the great escape to the point where I can just never believe they are actually going to go down. but I am looking at the table and the games they have left and I just cant see a way they can stay up now, I mean I keep thinking they will pull something off but the more I look I just cant see it. Do I finally dare to dream is it to early to actually believe it is finally going to happen?

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,381

I have moved this to "Sports & Betting Chat".
  • Options

@pompeynic may have a view on this.
  • Options
    vaigretvaigret Member Posts: 16,304
    I think it is coming to an end Im afriad
  • Options
    vaigret said:

I think it is coming to an end Im afriad

how you mean the southamptons live in the premiership I sure hope so, I really do but I seen the great escape to many times from the scummers Sunday is a big day hopefully Newcastle wallop them.
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,035
    Southampton are as good as gone, they've gotta get a MINIMUM of 6 points from their remaining games just to get to Forest's current 30 points with Forest not picking up any more points in their remaining games. Can you see where Southampton are gonna get those extra points needed from their remaining games, cos I can't.

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,002
    lucy4 said:

Southampton are as good as gone, they've gotta get a MINIMUM of 6 points from their remaining games just to get to Forest's current 30 points with Forest not picking up any more points in their remaining games. Can you see where Southampton are gonna get those extra points needed from their remaining games, cos I can't.

Agreed. For them to have any chance, realistically they have to win away to Forest and at home to Fulham. I can see them managing 1 win out of those 2. But not both.
  • Options
    this is the thing its likely two wins wont be enough anyway because that only holds if the other teams literally lose every game. It does really look like they are down but I have seen the great escape to many times in my booing of Southampton i cant be sure until its definitively concluded. Tomorrow will be a big day it is the sort of shock southampton pull, and with newcastle pretty much been secure not much left to play for and also been complacent after recent results I can definitely see a southampton win there. I really hope not and I am not saying this will happen just that It definitely could.
  • Options
    The Great Escape Is On...

Half Time Newcastle 0 v 1 Southampton.
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

The Great Escape Is On...

Half Time Newcastle 0 v 1 Southampton.

Ha.

HOLD

• Options

Boo
  • Options
    so are you guys southampton fans or just routing against me just curious?

anyway I actually thought Southampton would win this before the game started, I think its not over yet and the great escape is still possible. Nottingham forest will definitely be a sweat just got to hope Forest can win that one.
  • Options
    bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,701
    Did you miss the years they were relegated then? Wasn’t that long ago they were playing in League One.
  • Options
    bbMike said:

Did you miss the years they were relegated then? Wasn’t that long ago they were playing in League One.

lol did i miss those? no definitely not but I have booed southampton for 28 years and seen them relegated only twice. ah what glorious times those were though such beautiful times.

so the first time I remember it like it was last week It was called relegation sunday, what a beautiful day that was, I was living in Birmingham at the time and I went to a pub to watch Manchester United vs Southampton there were several teams fighting to stay up and obviously 3 that had to go down. For reasons that I cannot explain to this day the pub was almost entirely southampton fans, this made little sense for a pub in Birmingham. However this was the case and they were very loud there must have been like 500-600 Southampton fans two manchester united fans who were visible wearing their Manu shirts and me. The pub was proper packed and it was a big pub. The Manchester united fans kept quite and a very low profile. I however had different ideas. I made it very clear straight away I was here to boo Southampton I was not a fan of a specific team but literally just booed southampton.

The day started off awfully Southampton went up and the other teams and games were all goals down and it looked almost certain that the scummers were staying up they wasted no time in taunting me with the entire pub it seemed singing oh when the saints
    oh when the saints come marching in" they were joshing my hair and laughing and tuanting me for over an hour but then it happened one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. in a glorious 15 minutes the other games all turned and Manchester united banged in two against southampton they had gone from been nearly certain to stay up to nearly certain to be going down. I wasted no time taking their lyrics and changing them just a little to "oh when the saints oh when the saints go marching down." people did not appreciate this when the final whistle went and the moment I had been waiting for for a decade had finally happened they were down. I ran across the pub taking a sliding dive sort of pose with both fists out in the yes gesture as if I myself had scored the goal that had sent them down they tried to land punches and kicks but for some reason no one made good contact they made contact but not properly to hurt. I realized I had to get out of there I ran out the pub a mob chased me. I thought I was running for my life (maybe I was) I ran the whole way back to where I was living at the time in a block of flats. I opened the communal door then slammed it shut ran like lighting up to my room got in locked the door, moved my desk and bed in front of the door to barricade it just in case (they didnt get through the communal door though) and then I went and opened my window two stories up to taunt them, singing your down your down. They threw eggs but they never got an egg on me or in my room they missed every time I wish I had thought to point out their shooting with the eggs was as bad as their team but that did not occur to me at the time for some reason. Eventually they went away and everyone in the block was **** of with me for weeks blaming me for causing the egg mess (how was this my fault it was the scummer fans that threw them they should have been mad at them) to this day i dont know where or how they got the eggs from like did they have these at the pub this makes little sense I dont know.

I will explain the Burnely game (their relegation from the championship) because that is another glorious story but dont want to lose it by making this an uber long post.

• Options
    bbMike said:

So now to explain Southamptons relegation from the championship. This time I had actually got tickets to brave going to the devils arena itself St Marys Stadium. I had bought two tickets as at this time I was single and a girl I had been talking to on Plentyoffish had said they wanted to go with me. But contributing to my hate of Southampton football club a very minor drop in this ocean she she had betrayed me she had forsaken me you see she was secretly one of the worst things there can be about a girl. Worse then a girl who moronically believes Superman could beat Goku in the fight she was a Southampton fan. and she had deliberately got me to buy an extra ticket just to stand me up, and have me waste money on her ticket. she let me know by text what she had done and laughed now this would make the later moment all the more sweet.

There I was with the Burnley fans I had explained to them that I was not a Burnley fan and not really familiar with the Burnley players but I was Just there to Boo Southampton. Well the Burnley fans were a nice lot they seemed welcoming and happy to have me there and explained who their good players were and I proper celebrated hugging them when Burnley scored their goals I was more excited then they were. Turns out I wasn't the only one who turned up to boo Southampton from the Burnley fan section there was chants of Pompy play up. when the Final whistle went the scummer fans stormed the field for some reason and I went up to the podium thingy facing the whole pitch and did the two thumbs down gesture to all their fans like a Roman emperor. they threw money at me coins I dont remember extactly how much I caught but it was like £11 or £13 or something like that and that is just what I caught. on leaving the stadium one of the scummer fans recognised me and full on charged to assault me but their was a police officer in between us who rugby tackled him to the ground. I got back to Bournemouth and went out on the **** with the money the scummers had thrown at me. I got kicked out of the first club for been too drunk and I said to the bouncer as he was dragging me out "you can kick me out the club but it wont change the fact that your team are down they are finished and never coming back up" I knew he likely wasnt a southampton fan but I was drunk and wanted to taunt someone about it. I went to other clubs and randomly bumped into two portsmouth fans I had never met before in my life and would never meet again after that night but for that night we were all best friends we were all out celebrating the same thing. We got proper drunk and sang all night long and when we left the clubs we went down the streets topless singing we are the sober trinity " none of us were sober we were been silly"

ah the glorious memories but I have only seen the scummers relegated twice in my 28 years of been an active scummer hater. this is a once in a decade event I still cannot rule out the scummer staying up I have seen them come out of spots like this far to many times but can only hope. May the 8th is a massive game. if Southampton get anything but a win there they are in real trouble. If they can get the win though which I am dreading then it is on and they have a real chance.

In other notes I am happy to see that Burnley are coming back up, I wouldn't describe myself as a Burnley fan but I have always had positive feelings to the team after that glorious day so it is nice to see them do well.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,167
    Whilst you are entitled to your opinion, I have to take issue with your reference to Southampton supporters. I personally know 3 and they find the term highly offensive, offensive enough to get you put on your 4rse if it's said within earshot.

That expression to a person from Southampton was akin to dropping the N bomb to a person of colour, nasty, vicious and hate filled.

Don't really know who you support. If it's Pompey then at least I can understand the historic reasons for the slur, not to say it's acceptable, but otherwise it's not a term you should bandy about.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634

Whilst you are entitled to your opinion, I have to take issue with your reference to Southampton supporters. I personally know 3 and they find the term highly offensive, offensive enough to get you put on your 4rse if it's said within earshot.

That expression to a person from Southampton was akin to dropping the N bomb to a person of colour, nasty, vicious and hate filled.

Don't really know who you support. If it's Pompey then at least I can understand the historic reasons for the slur, not to say it's acceptable, but otherwise it's not a term you should bandy about.

He's coming across all Vale like , happier that Stoke have lost even when their own team have lost which is often i might add , each to their own i suppose
  • Options

Your post got me intrigued as to the history of the term, a quick Google search revealed there are (as usual) many differing opinions depending which side you're on. But I found this article quite interesting (albeit 18 years old).

Scummers v Skates.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2005/jan/23/newsstory.sport8

It's quite a long article but the summary at the end is this.

WHY POMPEY?

The nickname is the city's, not just the club's. Of all the theories the top four are: · A group of Portsmouth-based sailors, who scaled Pompey's Pillar near Alexandria, Egypt, became known as the 'Pompey Boys'. · The French ship 'La Pompée' was captured in 1793 and became the guardship to Portsmouth Harbour. · Portuguese sailors thought the harbour looked like Bombay (Bom Bahia, to them), because of the backdrop of hills.

Ships entering Portsmouth harbour make an entry in the ship's log 'Pom. P.' as a reference to Portsmouth Point.

WHY SAINTS?

Southampton was founded in 1885 by the men of St Mary's Church, the mother church of Southampton. In the early years the club was known as Southampton St Mary's.

WHY SCUM?

Unknown. One theory is that Portsmouth (Royal Navy) looks down on Southampton (commercial port): scum is a naval term for merchant seamen floating on the water.

WHY SKATES?

Royal Navy sailors who were at sea for months on end would often use skate fish to relieve their sexual frustrations (the mouth of the skate is said to be even better than warm liver). According to local myth, Portsmouth women would fend off the advances of sailors with the phrase 'I ain't no skate-bait, mate.'
  • Options
    Bournemouth fans call southampton fans scummers I thought this was a football thing if it is something else then fair enough i might need to change with regard to that.

@stokefc I dont get what your on about here I have nothing against Stoke I had to look up what league Stoke were in thats how little I care either way about Stoke. Your in the championship just looked it up, I do hope to care very much about how Stoke do next year for at least two games. If the amazing should happen and Southampton go down and Stoke end up competing with Southampton for a play off spot promotion or fighting relegation then I will route for Stoke for more then two games.

I never really supported a team I have booed a team from a young age I guess if I do support Bournemouth now but I was booing southampton long before I was routing for Bournemouth. I guess I route for Portsmouth but only because they are Southamptons rivals. and I do have positive feelings towards Manchester United and Burnley but only because those were the two teams that sent Southampton down both times. Well technically it was the whole season that did that but it was Manchester United and Burnley who put the final nail in that coffin those two times.

I have booed southampton since I was ten, it may be different to most but then I never claimed to be normal and technically Normal just means within two standard deviations of the mean. Been normal or abnormal is not necessarily good or bad.

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,002
    It is unusual. Football supporting has its roots in tribalism. Let's take Arsenal and Spurs for example.

The millions of Spurs fans from all around the World dislike Arsenal because they support Spurs. Exactly the same holds true for the dozens of Arsenal fans from South London. It is part of supporting your club. rather than really detesting the other team. It is part of my DNA to dislike Arsenal. But I have many Arsenal-supporting friends, and my Mother even worked for them for years.

Same holds true in other things. Just like every football team's fans have a disliked rival, so does every city, town and village. Every country has another country that is portrayed as stupid, in order to be the butt of rather tasteless jokes.

You have the dislike without the corresponding like. Which is unusual. Because you are missing the good bit.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    @Essexphil

"The millions of Spurs fans from all around the World dislike Arsenal because they support Spurs. Exactly the same holds true for the dozens of Arsenal fans"

Behave.

The Emirates is 98.886% full for home games;

"Arsenal is one of the most famous clubs in football and saw an average attendance of 60,028 in 2022 at the Emirates Stadium which has a full capacity of 60,704"

Whereas Spurs is a mere 95.614% full which is barely half capacity.

Tottenham Hotspur plays at the state-of-the-art Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. The world-class stadium was constructed recently and has a full capacity of 62,850. In 2022, 60,094 was the average attendance inside the stadium.