You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

is it to early to dare to dream?

2»

Comments

• Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,223
    Essexphil said:

It is unusual. Football supporting has its roots in tribalism. Let's take Arsenal and Spurs for example.

The millions of Spurs fans from all around the World dislike Arsenal because they support Spurs. Exactly the same holds true for the dozens of Arsenal fans from South London. It is part of supporting your club. rather than really detesting the other team. It is part of my DNA to dislike Arsenal. But I have many Arsenal-supporting friends, and my Mother even worked for them for years.

Same holds true in other things. Just like every football team's fans have a disliked rival, so does every city, town and village. Every country has another country that is portrayed as stupid, in order to be the butt of rather tasteless jokes.

You have the dislike without the corresponding like. Which is unusual. Because you are missing the good bit.

It's a wee bit different in the west coast of Scotland.
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,035
    Essexphil said:

It is unusual. Football supporting has its roots in tribalism. Let's take Arsenal and Spurs for example.

The millions of Spurs fans from all around the World dislike Arsenal because they support Spurs. Exactly the same holds true for the dozens of Arsenal fans from South London. It is part of supporting your club. rather than really detesting the other team. It is part of my DNA to dislike Arsenal. But I have many Arsenal-supporting friends, and my Mother even worked for them for years.

Same holds true in other things. Just like every football team's fans have a disliked rival, so does every city, town and village. Every country has another country that is portrayed as stupid, in order to be the butt of rather tasteless jokes.

You have the dislike without the corresponding like. Which is unusual. Because you are missing the good bit.

I like White Hart Lane as you can't hate a place where you've won the title twice...

1971 & 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdALY2fLvq4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8umJCeyG8ag
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,002
    The posts from 11:29 onwards show how banter can work between clubs.

As examples, my "millions...dozens" is clearly meant to goad. All good fun.

Likewise, Tony tries to use percentages, while skilfully sidestepping the fact that the attendance is smaller at the Emirates. Because any football fan will only use the figures that suit.

But the biggest difference can be shown in the grounds.

A Spurs fan would point out that, in 1 sense, White Hart Lane no longer exists. But that the Tottenham Hotspur stadium is built on the ground of the old WHL. We didn't ditch our history, and move miles away (yet again). And sell the name of our stadium.

Whereas an Arsenal fan would point out that the only reason we haven't renamed our stadium is we haven't found a buyer :)

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,167
    Actually, @Essexphil is perhaps correct here. There may only be dozens of Gooners left in South London which was obvs Arsenals original home. There are probably more MK Dons fans left in Wimbledon though :D:D:o
  • Options
    pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    Tikay10 said:

@pompeynic may have a view on this.

Only just seen this thread

• Options
    JammyFkerJammyFker Member Posts: 209
    Sad imo to will another team down no matter the rivalry, some teams may never quite recover after being relegated, it took them 5-6 years last time IIRC.

I cannot get their mentality, in a must win game vs Bournemouth they waited until the last 9 mins to really try and attack and score the equaliser never mind a winner! I get it the way they tried to play vs Arsenal who are in a different league man for man. No doubt at home they played the same versus a lot of the teams around them.

They looked doomed and the next game will tell it all imo. Beat Forest and the great escape can happen and then have a real crack at home to Fulham to really put themselves in with a shout
  • Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,586
    it is nerve wrecking the big game will be on the 8th. I think I have to work that day because I normally negotiate shifts and my girlfriend gets back more towards the end of the week so it is likely I will be working early during the week. But I will have to make sure I got the evening off to watch it.

its going to be nail biting I am terrified of a southampton win but we just got to hope we just got to hope that Nottingham forest can do it that they can win. To be honest I would take a draw.

COME ON FOREST!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    3 goals in 7 minutes what the **** this is intense!!! come on forest!!!!
  • Options
    YES YES YES 3-1 also why is Forest blocked from chat but other teams are allowed in chat @Tikay10 this does not seem fair on Nottingham Forest fans
  • Options
    Wow 4-3 what a game this is it, even I dont believe soutghampton can stay up now I wont officially celebrate until its confirmed for definite but i cant not believe anymore. I'm a believer now!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mYBSayCsH0
  • Options
    Well its half time and Fulham denied a blatant penalty, southampton been dirty as ever. It feels tense at 0-0 but a draw would confirm it and make southamptons relegation official. Still I would be more comfortable if Fulham could get a goal or two since as things stand southampton could score at any moment and take the win. This is tense but today could be the moment glad to see Forest winning that certainly helps things.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,002
    Southampton now have to cope with the shame of only being 1 division above Portsmouth, @pompeynic

:)
  • Options
    They are down yes yes yes yes yes yes yes proper celebrations here I watched the game what day. was terrified when they got the goal but was like had to be offside how is that not offside then it called offside and a minute later bam.

This is such a good day.
  • Options
    SidV79SidV79 Member Posts: 4,032
    Should have used this one David
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT9eQ2smjUM
    ...to the Championship
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,035
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

yeah I have been to hells stadium on a few occasions (st marys) the thing is you cant do this so easily over here in america they normally more chill (normally I am sure you can find enough counter examples I said normally). You do this over here and you are likely to get assaulted each time I speak from experience. Fortunately their is a police presence and I have yet to actually have someone manage to do anything but its not the same.

If I could afford to go to every southampton game to boo them (in terms of both time and money) I would. But I dont know how people afford this I mean like £30 a ticket +transport + food and drink, 1 and a half times a week thats like over £150 a week or over £600+ a month. and then the transport time and the time of the games etc. if I lived in southampton i could do this for all their home games but then, if I lived in southampton I likely would have been stabbed by now.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,167
    edited May 2023
    Sorry but people who say they hate such and such, then give them their money are morons.

Surely you should spend your money supporting your team not giving it to a team you despise. FFS that would be like me giving Man U, Arsenal or Dirty Leeds my money.

When I've been there to support my team I don't even spend at the bar / refreshment stands coz no way am I giving them anything above the cost of my ticket.

Ordinary away games yes, but against certain teams well I'd rather coat my dingus with pollen and stick it in a beehive.
  • Options

Sorry but people who say they hate such and such, then give them their money are morons.

Surely you should spend your money supporting your team not giving it to a team you despise. FFS that would be like me giving Man U, Arsenal or Dirty Leeds my money.

When I've been there to support my team I don't even spend at the bar / refreshment stands coz no way am I giving them anything above the cost of my ticket.

Ordinary away games yes, but against certain teams well I'd rather coat my dingus with pollen and stick it in a beehive.

its more complicated then that, see for a brief moment for the briefest of moments I actually felt a pang of guilt for booing southampton. You see what I have come to learn about football clubs is there is a community and many people affected by the fortunes and misfortunes of the success of failure of the club. It goes beyond the fans cheering or crying, it affects the kitchens where people can get more work or less work they may be struggling it affects the bar staff and all other service staff. When southampton lose and go down people will be affected staff will get less hours or lose their jobs entirely fans will cry and be miserable etc etc.

However then after some thought I dont feel guilty about this, because the fact is there will always be winners and losers those that gain those that lose from the results. sure lots of loss and suffering for southampton if they go down which they now have. But what about Nottingham forest surely they have a community too that suffer if they go down. blood has to be spilled somewhere I am just rooting for it go be spilled at the club I like to boo.

But this does not mean, that on the rare occasion I go to southampton ground I cannot have a beer or whatever snack. I am there to have a good time I am not actually rooting for southampton to go bankrupt. and even if they do or don't its unlikely my little snack or drink etc will have made much difference.

I hope one day to see southampton relegated from professional football so I can say they are not actually a professional team anymore. However I want that to happen by relegations not financial stuff etc its not the same that way.
  • Options
    selles or however it spelt is looking utterly pathetic right now. I only want to stay on if I can be manager otherwise I will go somewhere else. meanwhile the southampton have already said he is dumped/gone at end of season then he like well if they want to keep me on i can discuss that with them id rather stay if not i go to other clubs other clubs definitely interested in me. meanwhile southampton ignore him and discuss terms with other managers.

Seriously like he acting like a desperate teenager hooked on a girl who messing him around dumped him is ignoring him and out doing other guys.

and the advice would be the same for him, move on man you can do so much better.