You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Lets chat about Vegas Sats...

Comments

• Options
    Sky__JamesSky__James Member Posts: 442
    edited May 2023
    Could the sat’s be programmed not to run if the Qtr gets cancelled? Everyone would get their money back without a problem.

No sadly not.

The issue is that not enough players are playing the sats at all levels and I don't have the answer. I expect if I reduced the Qtr to 2 seats gtd and min 5 runners there would be a fair amount of flipping which you are well in your rights to do but obviously we're burning money if I allow that to happen regularly. The Qtr last night only had 3 runners so even with all in sats running we wouldn't have gotten the 7 required.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,651

Could the sat’s be programmed not to run if the Qtr gets cancelled? Everyone would get their money back without a problem.

No sadly not.

The issue is that not enough players are playing the sats at all levels and I don't have the answer. I expect if I reduced the Qtr to 2 seats gtd and min 5 runners there would be a fair amount of flipping which you are well in your rights to do but obviously we're burning money if I allow that to happen regularly. The Qtr last night only had 3 runners so even with all in sats running we wouldn't have gotten the 7 required.

Well you lost one runner by letting @MAXALLY qualify, rigged i tells thee :p
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,176
    edited May 2023

The issue is that not enough players are playing the sats at all levels and I don't have the answer. I expect if I reduced the Qtr to 2 seats gtd and min 5 runners there would be a fair amount of flipping which you are well in your rights to do but obviously we're burning money if I allow that to happen regularly.
    The Qtr last night only had 3 runners so even with all in sats running we wouldn't have gotten the 7 required.

Hi James

I agree with you totally that not enough players are playing the micro sat's and I don't know why either. It's such a fantastic trip, and it's the only way us smaller stakes players can get in.

With regards the Quarter-Final ....... Every day except Sunday, it is only 5 runners minimum ( and we haven't FLIPPED it once !! )

For a while now FLIPPING seems to have stopped in Multi-Seat Qualifiers .........since a couple of players were 'Waiting in the Wings' to see if a FLIP was going to happen, and registering for the Tournament just as the cards were dealt, and obviously going through themselves without even having to play a hand.

With this in mind, would it be possible for the Sunday Quarter-Final to be reduced to minimum 5 runners, the same as every other night ? .....the last two Sunday Quarter-Finals have cancelled, and both had 6 players registered :/
  • Options
    weecheez1weecheez1 Member Posts: 1,680
    I love all in sats and usually register in blocks of three or four at a time if i win i play the event if i do the double i take the cash boost if i lose i try the next event but i dont mind people playing for cash the same people that moan would take you out first hand given the chance
  • Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,599
    With no All in sats there is more likelihood of the quarters being cancelled due to player numbers.

I vote to bring them back even if some are using them as cash buckets.
  • Options

Are people actually generally interested in trying to win a trip to VEGA$ ?? :*

It's really sad to see that only one micro sat. went ahead (the 7.20pm one), and there were only 3 people registered for the Quarter-Final when that got cancelled. Were players really relying on winning a seat to the Quarter-Final through the All-Ins ?

There are micro sat's for £2.25 for the lower budget players, and you actually get to play Poker, instead of just trying to get lucky with the All-Ins

All this means that there will be GREAT Value for Sunday's Semi-Final with so few entrants and 6 seats available, (only 6 people have qualified so far) ........ Hopefully the weekend will bring a few more players, but it appears that very few people are interested in winning a 'Trip of a Lifetime' and I can see SKYPoker not bothering with the 'satellite tree' next Year :(
    ..........and worse still, not even offering a 'Trip to VEGA$'

So come on everyone, come and play the VEGA$ $at$ ....... 'coz I can assure you, having been fortunate enough to win a trip in 2019 thru' the sat's, if you won a Trip to VEGA$ with SKYPoker ......you would have one of the best experiences you can have :)<3B)
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,086
    That's a great advert, Misty.

I agree with a lot of things you say. I have been lucky enough to go to Vegas with several poker sites, and I would say that Sky is the best by some margin.

But there is another side to this. This year's Vegas SPT is not as good as previous years.

Some time ago this Forum asked whether we would prefer a unique Sky Tournament (as in recent years) or entry to another event, such as a WSOP event. We have ended up with the worst of both worlds-an anonymous $800 (about £650) entry to a Venetian Tournament. So-neither the homeliness of a Sky Tournament, nor the thrill of a WSOP tournament.

The next problem is the timing of the event. In previous years, the SPT has coincided with a lot of major poker series throughout Vegas. Not this year-meaning people like me cannot play a variety of Major series while there.

The final problem is the cost of the non-poker elements of the SPT. It's £4,000 in total. Less than half of that goes on flight costs (£1,000) and Poker (£650). The Palazzo is a truly luxurious hotel. But the fact remains that there are decent Vegas hotels that are £1,000 a week cheaper.

Sky genuinely offer a great experience. People such as Tikay and Neil, coupled with the social events, make it a truly magical experience.

But, due to the change of event, change of timing, and massive cost of hotel, it's not quite as magical this year.

Which is the simple reason why numbers are way down this year.

• Options
    This is a magnificent package and and Sky should be applauded people should really try to win one but...
    People who play micro sats generally don't have the BR/money to buy into the quarters /semi , say if you manage to bink a package happy days you win a 4k package which includes 1k towards flights , you might get flights for a grand , i've never looked , but then you need spending money for the period you're there and here's the stumbling block , ordinary folks, say like me, haven't got that money so it's kinda no point in trying so maybe that's why the micro sats are not running as well , this is just my opinion and why i never try
    I won a seat in UKOPS in Notts through a freeroll in 2014 as much as it was a wonderful experience and one of the highlights of my life it cost me 4/500 pounds for the two days i was there that cost set me back a good couple of months to claw back so i never bothered again as much as i want to play a live event
    These packages are more suited to the more affluent amongst us imo and not to people who struggle financially through life
  • Options
    stokefc said:

This is a magnificent package and and Sky should be applauded people should really try to win one but...
    People who play micro sats generally don't have the BR/money to buy into the quarters /semi , say if you manage to bink a package happy days you win a 4k package which includes 1k towards flights , you might get flights for a grand , i've never looked , but then you need spending money for the period you're there and here's the stumbling block , ordinary folks, say like me, haven't got that money so it's kinda no point in trying so maybe that's why the micro sats are not running as well , this is just my opinion and why i never try
    I won a seat in UKOPS in Notts through a freeroll in 2014 as much as it was a wonderful experience and one of the highlights of my life it cost me 4/500 pounds for the two days i was there that cost set me back a good couple of months to claw back so i never bothered again as much as i want to play a live event
    These packages are more suited to the more affluent amongst us imo and not to people who struggle financially through life

Take your point.

So-which would most people prefer?

A £1,500-£2,000 hotel?
    Or a £500-£1,000 hotel, and £1,000 spending money?

Or even giving the 2 options....
  • Options
    I think if the offered spending money would be more appealing
  • Options
    stokefc said:

Vegas prices, both for hotels and general expenses, have gone up enormously.

Other sites offer more budget-oriented Vegas trips. Or more poker-oriented Vegas trips.

Not a "magnificent package". Because times change.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Essexphil said:

stokefc said:

Vegas prices, both for hotels and general expenses, have gone up enormously.

Other sites offer more budget-oriented Vegas trips. Or more poker-oriented Vegas trips.

Not a "magnificent package". Because times change.

Forget the package - however it is made up it is sure to be a fantastic experience for any poker player.

The thrill from my point of view is trying to win the package for as little as a £1.20 all in satellite or micro stake game rather than a £440.00 buy in tournament.

How sweet that that would be and the enjoyment terrific.
  • Options
    Thank you @Sky__James for reducing today's VEGA$ Quarter-Final minimum runners to FIVE ......and restoring the All-In Sat's too

GOOD LUCK everyone :)B)
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    :/

Reduced to 5 ........got

SEMI-FINAL will be FANTASTIC value
  • Options
    poppy765poppy765 Member Posts: 1,505
    I played all the sats, didn't come close and it still only got 3 runners :(
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,305
    MISTY4ME said:

Reduced to 5 ........got

Sorry I missed it, donkey you should have text me!
  • Options
    madprof said:

MISTY4ME said:

Reduced to 5 ........got

Sorry I missed it, donkey you should have text me!
    That would still be one short :/
  • Options
    poppy765 said:

Don't you play the micro sat's @poppy765 ?

There is normally just me, or me and one other in the £4.50 sat's (needs 3 players to run) and so they keep getting cancelled. :(:'(

• Options
    edited May 2023
    MISTY4ME said:

poppy765 said:

Don't you play the micro sat's @poppy765 ?

There is normally just me, or me and one other in the £4.50 sat's (needs 3 players to run) and so they keep getting cancelled. :(:'(

I entered 2 today and they were cancelled. What a shame.

Got back too late to enter for the semi when I didn't win an all in seat.

The £94 qtr is above my pay grade.
  • Options
    Sky__JamesSky__James Member Posts: 442
    I saw this well thought out post (as usual) by Phil the the other day and wanted to share my thoughts. My points are in bold
    Essexphil said:

That's a great advert, Misty.

I agree with a lot of things you say. I have been lucky enough to go to Vegas with several poker sites, and I would say that Sky is the best by some margin.

But there is another side to this. This year's Vegas SPT is not as good as previous years.

Some time ago this Forum asked whether we would prefer a unique Sky Tournament (as in recent years) or entry to another event, such as a WSOP event. We have ended up with the worst of both worlds-an anonymous $800 (about £650) entry to a Venetian Tournament. So-neither the homeliness of a Sky Tournament, nor the thrill of a WSOP tournament.

Qualifying players into a WSOP event was never an option as we are not licensed to do so. As the feedback on the poll was mainly in preference of playing a big field tournament we opted for this route and went for the best option available but we don't get to decide on the buy in or guarantee hence why it's a bit lower than last year's value.

The next problem is the timing of the event. In previous years, the SPT has coincided with a lot of major poker series throughout Vegas. Not this year-meaning people like me cannot play a variety of Major series while there.

I honestly think you're in a small minority of players who are looking to play major events on the side. Especially when talking about players not willing to buy in directly to quarters/semis which was the original discussion point and is the reason for the failing sats.

The final problem is the cost of the non-poker elements of the SPT. It's £4,000 in total. Less than half of that goes on flight costs (£1,000) and Poker (£650). The Palazzo is a truly luxurious hotel. But the fact remains that there are decent Vegas hotels that are £1,000 a week cheaper.

Sky genuinely offer a great experience. People such as Tikay and Neil, coupled with the social events, make it a truly magical experience.

Thankyou, obviously I'm biased but the Sky community is unmatched.

But, due to the change of event, change of timing, and massive cost of hotel, it's not quite as magical this year.

Which is the simple reason why numbers are way down this year.

This is debatable. Numbers across our other Vegas promotions aren't actually down at all. Satellites have always struggled but now they are at a point where the quarters aren't running and the semis and final are well short of where I'd like. The satellite cost is the same as last year so with inflation you could argue it's a bit cheaper. I could be wrong but I don't think many players are not interested in trying to satellite in because we are going after the WSOP has finished or that the hotel is too expensive. There is so much value in the sats (last Sunday's semi was 6 seats from 12 entries). The finals are more like 1 in 6 not 1 in 10 so how relevant is the £4k value we've approximated? I'm surprised more people aren't taking advantage of the value.

I know people are feeling the pinch more this year and Vegas just gets more expensive so I'd like to think it's this rather than the package being 'not as good'. Perhaps we could up the spending money and reduce the hotel cost but I imagine this would make it more likely for a package winner not to attend. I don't know what the perfect package consists of but I do know it's impossible to please everyone!