You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The Ashes

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,119

@lucy4

I largely agree, but money rules, & the various sports governing bodies must take most of the blame for sheer greed. They have the choice of giving it to the terrestrial channels or selling it to the subscription platforms.
  • Options
    RogueCellRogueCell Member Posts: 532
    Tikay10 said:

lucy4 said:

Is this Bazball cricket ?

I've never seen the like of it in Test cricket, especially at the start of Day 4 in a finely-balanced 1st Ashes Test.

It's continued too, the ball is being despatched to all corners of Headingley, & I'm not sure we've seen a defensive stroke yet.
    Headingley?

Ahem, this be fortress Edgbaston, a mile down the road from where I sit.
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,162
    lucy4 said:

On a slightly different note I think The Ashes series should be on 'The Crown Jewels' list of televised sports.

Category A - must be shown live on terrestrial.

Olympic games

Football world cup

Football European Championship

FA Cup final

Scottish FA Cup final (in Scotland)

Grand National

The Derby

Wimbledon finals

Rugby League Challenge Cup final

Rugby Union World Cup final

Category B - highlights must be show on terrestrial TV

Cricket Tests in England

Wimbledon up to finals

All other Rugby Union World Cup matches

Six Nations Rugby matches involving home countries

Commonwealth Games

World Athletics Championships

Cricket World Cup final, semi-finals and matches involving home countries

Ryder Cup golf

The Open golf

The ones i have highlighted should be swapped IMO only because i have no interest in some of them, understand fully others will feel differently
  • Options
    RogueCell said:

Tikay10 said:

lucy4 said:

Is this Bazball cricket ?

I've never seen the like of it in Test cricket, especially at the start of Day 4 in a finely-balanced 1st Ashes Test.

It's continued too, the ball is being despatched to all corners of Headingley, & I'm not sure we've seen a defensive stroke yet.
    Headingley?

Ahem, this be fortress Edgbaston, a mile down the road from where I sit.
    @RogueCell

Of course. Senior moment.
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,098
    We needed that wicket, game on.
  • Options
    Got it third time lucky.
  • Options
    That's gonna hurt the team.
  • Options

Yes, but a great game, & England gave their best, so no complaints. Sets the Series up nicely too.
  • Options
    I didn't understand why the new ball wasn't taken after Root took Carey out or at least sooner than they did.

• Options
    I'm actually saying this in a David Brent voice :D

• Options
    When Root took that catch Australia were 7/1 to win the match.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,247
    2 Things cost us that game. A pointless declaration and the bowling tactics in the last hour.

The declaration with Root and Robinson looking good probably cost us 30 / 40 runs even if we'd just chucked the bat at everything. Those runs would have put the game out of reach of The Aussies.

Trying to bounce out tail enders by inducing a false pull or hook. Either get catchers in close and give it sweet chin or take the new ball and bowl properly. Even in village cricket the tail would rather face a barrage of not very good short stuff than quality line and length. short pitched is ok done properly i.e. 3/4 very close catchers, but asking lower order batters to score on a flat pitch when you are threatening the stumps is even more effective. England did neither.

I don't care about, entertaining, thrilling, exciting close games. When it comes to England and especially The Ashes I only care about winning.
  • Options
    I don't know if we're saying the same thing but I think tail enders would be happy facing spin/slow balls, my option would be pepper them with fast balls and not let them settle and keep them on their toes ready to make mistakes.
  • Options
    pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    England’s mission statement is to play entertaining cricket. In an interview either last night or this morning either Anderson or Broad specifically said the dressing room doesn’t talk in terms of winning and losing. In that respect England achieved their goal, a riveting test match from start to finish, the viewing public will be salivating at the prospect of four more of those.
    Of course England and their supporters would have loved to see us come out on the right side of the result, but I’d rather take a defeat like that, than watch a boring five days of tedious cricket.
    We can debate the why we lost etc, that’s all part of the fun, but ultimately England did what they set out to do, Entertain.
    For mine, the selection of Moeen Ali was a huge mistake, I said on this thread I would have played Ahmed, I think a Leg Spinner , with the ability to get more bounce and turn the ball either way would, on that pitch, probably have won the game. Anderson should have been omitted for Wood, Anderson is better suited to Lords and now you have the conundrum of do you play the same seam attack next week. With Stokes only really at 25 to 35% fit to bowl, England were short on variation once the ball got old and Moeen’s finger lost its first seven layers of skin. Interesting selection decisions to come.
    You can debate the declaration, England’s thoughts would have been along the lines of,do what the opposition wanted least, half an hour of batting, after a long day of chasing leather , was probably the thing the Aussies really didn’t want. Had we taken wickets it would have been a master stroke. Things to also remember, the New ball was due, so belting Lyon everywhere was not going to be an option, also, if Root or Robinson, who should have batted above Broad , got out, do you really want to expose Anderson to Cummins steaming in with a new cherry?
    IMO the main reason for the loss was England’s failure to take multiple chances when they came along. Green should have been stumped second ball, Carey got a couple of lives and that meant England’s lead was 7 instead of being around 100, possibly more.
    The worry is that neither Smith or Labuschagne contributed to the Aussies score over four knocks, not sure that will happen again. It may well be that Moeen apart England go with the same side with probably Wood playing , as they seem reluctant to play Ahmed . Traditionally Lords is not a big spinning ground, so that’s probably the way they go.
    I’m really looking forward to next week

• Options
    Wood definately should play, England have nobody as quick as he is.
    Another option if Jonny doesn't improve behind the stumps is keep him in as a batsman and give Pope the gloves. Thought Bairstow looked a very average wicketkeeper but maybe he's just rusty.

The only problem with Bazball is that we are always going to leave sides with quality batting line ups enough time to run us down. It's ok scoring 600 / 700 in quick time over 2 innings but then you leave teams like Australia 3 days or more to grind it out and I'm not that confident we can bowl them out twice often enough.

The England team may prefer style over substance, and that's fine while they are competitive, but when they get skittled out cheaply, and it will happen at some point, and probably more than once, then I think the public will begin to turn.

I can imagine Wisden's statement now The 2023 Ashes proved to be one of the most entertaining in history culminating in a 3 -1 victory for the Tourists.

I'm not against the new way England want to play but let's understand the division between daring, entertaining and compelling and reckless.

• Options
    Well. What a sh it kicker that was.

I'm a qualified umpire now moving swiftly through the ranks. If anyone would like to educate me about cricket I'm all ears
  • Options

Another option if Jonny doesn't improve behind the stumps is keep him in as a batsman and give Pope the gloves. Thought Bairstow looked a very average wicketkeeper but maybe he's just rusty.

The only problem with Bazball is that we are always going to leave sides with quality batting line ups enough time to run us down. It's ok scoring 600 / 700 in quick time over 2 innings but then you leave teams like Australia 3 days or more to grind it out and I'm not that confident we can bowl them out twice often enough.

The England team may prefer style over substance, and that's fine while they are competitive, but when they get skittled out cheaply, and it will happen at some point, and probably more than once, then I think the public will begin to turn.

I can imagine Wisden's statement now The 2023 Ashes proved to be one of the most entertaining in history culminating in a 3 -1 victory for the Tourists.

I'm not against the new way England want to play but let's understand the division between daring, entertaining and compelling and reckless.

Are you crazy? Give Pope gloves???? Literally 0% chance
  • Options
    I LOOOOOVE CRICKET
  • Options
    RogueCell said:

Are you crazy? Give Pope gloves???? Literally 0% chance
    Why ? He's kept before at International level.

Umpires are great characters. We used to have 1 in the Stone League called "5 O'clock Finger". If he rocked up to officiate you always batted first if possible, field 2nd and then appeal for everything after 5pm when the pub had opened, honestly you never lost.

There was another "Molasses Michael" I swear it took a full minute to get any reaction to an appeal. The only man to make Umpire Buckner look rushed.