You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

JN Bank UK hits £300million in customer deposits as more savers snap up top rates

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,055
    In a warning to anyone building up funds for their old age, cautious investor David Norton asks... How could my 'safe' pension fund plummet by 30% – a year before I retire?

When this year's statement arrived in the post from his pension company Aegon in February David (pictured) was horrified.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pensions/article-12682773/How-safe-pension-fund-plummet-30-year-retire.html?ico=mol_desktop_home-newtab&molReferrerUrl=https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html&_gl=1*16ky5ig*_ga*NzA4MDc0MDk5LjE2ODk2NjMyNjI.*_ga_XE0XLFFF16*MTY5ODU1ODM5OC45My4xLjE2OTg1NTkyMTIuMC4wLjA.&_ga=2.5854579.171167092.1698558399-708074099.1689663262

Don’t get caught out by tax on cash interest, UK savers told

https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/don-t-caught-tax-cash-070034071.html

‘Can I get by on the state pension and £34,000 in savings?’

https://uk.yahoo.com/style/state-pension-34-000-savings-115756404.html

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,310

The real problem she, & most elderly folks have, is that we don't know how long we are going to live.

Our financial situation would be so much easier if we knew how much longer we have left.

For example, in her case, if she knew Mr Reaper was going to come knocking next year, she could go & do her travelling now as she'll have no need for money beyond next year.

Conversely, she might be one of those that lives to be 100 which might be nice but would be a problem financially.
    Tikay10 said:

The real problem she, & most elderly folks have, is that we don't know how long we are going to live.

Our financial situation would be so much easier if we knew how much longer we have left.

For example, in her case, if she knew Mr Reaper was going to come knocking next year, she could go & do her travelling now as she'll have no need for money beyond next year.

Conversely, she might be one of those that lives to be 100 which might be nice but would be a problem financially.

When you think about how much money you need to retire on, its always more than you have got.

• EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,520
    Tikay10 said:

The other factor has to be how long will live without going into a Care Home.

My parents were the type to save for a rainy day. Consequently, they lived within their means.

My mother died suddenly, whereupon we discovered she had been hiding my father's dementia.

And all their assets went on Care Home fees and Whisky.

Do I get annoyed that they left me next to nothing? No. I just wish they had spent more of their money on themselves

@Essexphil

Crikey, that must have been a shock.

Which of course brings up another factor in the equation - whether we have family we want to provide for or not.
    Tikay10 said:

@Essexphil

Which of course brings up another factor in the equation - whether we have family we want to provide for or not.

It was. And it is far, far more common than people realise.

Both the more "able" one wearing out, and 9 years' of Care Home Fees costing more than a House. The whisky, of course, was the bit that might have come to me/my sister. His need was greater than mine

I'm certainly no expert on this. But it is bound to be the case that family provision is key here. Children is the most obvious one.

My best friend is your age. He lives with his Partner (she is my age, so significant age gap :;), and they have no Dependants. House in Joint names. All fairly simple. Whereas, if they did not live together or house not in joint names, it might be wise for them to take advice...
    Essexphil said:

Tikay10 said:

@Essexphil

Both the more "able" one wearing out, and 9 years' of Care Home Fees costing more than a House. The whisky, of course, was the bit that might have come to me/my sister. His need was greater than mine

I'm certainly no expert on this. But it is bound to be the case that family provision is key here. Children is the most obvious one.

My best friend is your age. He lives with his Partner (she is my age, so significant age gap :;), and they have no Dependants. House in Joint names. All fairly simple. Whereas, if they did not live together or house not in joint names, it might be wise for them to take advice...

Hmm, sounds like I need advice. I'm much the older, no dependants, a Partner, but we don't live together.

edited November 2023
    Tikay10 said:

Essexphil said:

Tikay10 said:

@Essexphil

Hmm, sounds like I need advice. I'm much the older, no dependants, a Partner, but we don't live together.

That's why I expressed it that way. Never been my field, and I am now retired bordering on dangerous :;

Also, if you have a private pension, check who the beneficiaries are

Good point as to private pension, thanks Phil.
    We did a will, and Power of Attorney, a couple of years ago.
    It just seemed sensible to have someone you can trust, to make decisions on your health, and finances, should you become incapable, for whatever reason.
    HAYSIE said:

It just seemed sensible to have someone you can trust, to make decisions on your health, and finances, should you become incapable, for whatever reason.

@HAYSIE

Seems like you did that in the nick of time.
    HAYSIE said:

This is important, and something more people should do.

However, it is worth pointing out that, after you have become incapable, both you and any Lasting Power of Attorney cannot do various things that could be done earlier.
    Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

@HAYSIE

Seems like you did that in the nick of time.
    Thanks.
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

However, it is worth pointing out that, after you have become incapable, both you and any Lasting Power of Attorney cannot do various things that could be done earlier.
    Like what Phil.
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,878
    Do I want to be hanging around with a bedpan for company....
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Like what Phil.
    Certain reorganisations of assets can only be done before certain conditions become inevitable, rather than theoretical.