You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Paramedic rushing to 'life-and-death' emergency begs police to clear Just Stop Oil protesters

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,055
Sixty activists from the eco group slow-marched on Waterloo Bridge on Wednesday, causing the busy carriageway to be shut in both directions

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/police-just-stop-oil-loggerheads-115635202.html

Comments

• EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,432
    It amazes me that these people think their antics are doing their cause any good whatsoever, it isn't. I'm somewhat surprised none of them have been hurt, probably because we seem to treat them with kid gloves in this country. They appear to get treated a bit more roughly abroad.

Just Stop Oil activist superglues themselves to the road? Fine, cordon them off, set up a diversion and leave them there, with the nights getting colder they should soon learn.
  • ToffeeandyToffeeandy Member Posts: 919
    Enut said:

It amazes me that these people think their antics are doing their cause any good whatsoever, it isn't. I'm somewhat surprised none of them have been hurt, probably because we seem to treat them with kid gloves in this country. They appear to get treated a bit more roughly abroad.

Just Stop Oil activist superglues themselves to the road? Fine, cordon them off, set up a diversion and leave them there, with the nights getting colder they should soon learn.

Sod that, just run them over.

Enut said:

I would like to but would probably be charged with dangerous driving and, more importantly, may damage my car. They're not worth that!
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,055
    Enut said:

Enut said:

I would like to but would probably be charged with dangerous driving and, more importantly, may damage my car. They're not worth that!
    Elderly lawyer shoots dead two climate protesters blocking highway
    @Essexphil

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/elderly-lawyer-shoots-dead-two-185125058.html
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,522
    Too much hair to be me :)
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,055
    Essexphil said:

Too much hair to be me :)

True.
    You are also a bit too young to be described as elderly.
    Now if it was @Tikay10.......

It was a bit drastic though.
    HAYSIE said:

Enut said:

Enut said:

@Essexphil

I did see that and think how prophetic my post was. I can assure you I had nothing to do with it though. Can @Essexphil confirm whether being told 'go on then, shoot me!' Is actually any defence for doing so? Ironically the road was probably then blocked by paramedics, police and closed as it was a crime scene.
    Enut said:

HAYSIE said:

Enut said:

Enut said:

@Essexphil

I did see that and think how prophetic my post was. I can assure you I had nothing to do with it though. Can @Essexphil confirm whether being told 'go on then, shoot me!' Is actually any defence for doing so? Ironically the road was probably then blocked by paramedics, police and closed as it was a crime scene.
    My knowledge of Panamanian Law is almost certainly exactly the same as yours ;)

In this country, short answer, no. Reminds me of one of the most famous Murder trials in History...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Bentley
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,310
    Essexphil said:

Enut said:

HAYSIE said:

Enut said:

Enut said:

@Essexphil

In this country, short answer, no. Reminds me of one of the most famous Murder trials in History...

@Essexphil

What a cause celebre that trial was.

"Let him have it"

Which was either "shoot him", or maybe could be interpreted as "give him the gun".

He was eventually pardoned around 40 years later, though it was a little late by then as he'd been hung.
    'Let him 'av it!' I certainly don't think anyone would be convicted of murder let alone sentenced to death based on that evidence nowadays, well not in the UK.
    edited November 2023
    Enut said:

'Let him 'av it!' I certainly don't think anyone would be convicted of murder let alone sentenced to death based on that evidence nowadays, well not in the UK.

The laws relating to Joint Enterprise are complex. He knew they were both carrying loaded guns.

Only doubt in my mind is whether that would be Murder or Manslaughter today. Probably the former until about 2016, and probably the latter now.

The "suspended sentence" would obviously not be applied. And not just because that particular sentence no longer exists.

The reasons making the Bentley case were more than just the wording. The shooter (Craig) was under 18, and not hanged, as mitigation on basis of age was applied. Yet the Jury's recommendation for Mercy (ie no hanging) for Bentley had no relevance under the Law as it then stood.
    edited November 2023
    Tikay10 said:

Essexphil said:

Enut said:

HAYSIE said:

Enut said:

Enut said:

@Essexphil

@Essexphil

What a cause celebre that trial was.

"Let him have it"

Which was either "shoot him", or maybe could be interpreted as "give him the gun".

He was eventually pardoned around 40 years later, though it was a little late by then as he'd been hung.
    It is "hanged". Never "hung".

When I was at University my Criminal Law lecturer loved telling jokes as teaching aids. For this he said:-

"2 women were talking about one's Criminal Husband. 1 said-your husband is a Criminal. Don't know why you stay with him. He should be bl oody well hung. The other replied-oh, he is. That's why I stay with him..."

Different times ;)

Bit of black humour there, suspended sentence...
    Tikay10 said:

I did read it twice, initially thinking @Essexphil had gone mad. Although with the courts and prisons as they are now it surely won't be long before someone gets a suspended sentence for murder (rather than a 'suspended' one).
    Enut said:

Tikay10 said:

I did read it twice, initially thinking @Essexphil had gone mad. Although with the courts and prisons as they are now it surely won't be long before someone gets a suspended sentence for murder (rather than a 'suspended' one).
    There is a Mandatory Life sentence for Murder.

Many "life sentences" involve less than 10 years' inside. The average is about 15-20 years. And most "murderers" are a lot less interesting than the ones who make the Headlines. Killed their Partner while High. IQ of under 70.
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,768
    Essexphil said:

Enut said:

Tikay10 said:

Many "life sentences" involve less than 10 years' inside. The average is about 15-20 years. And most "murderers" are a lot less interesting than the ones who make the Headlines. Killed their Partner while High. IQ of under 70.
    That's me a couple of years ago except the killing bit but nearly so many times :p
    Essexphil said:

Enut said:

Tikay10 said:

Many "life sentences" involve less than 10 years' inside. The average is about 15-20 years.
    And most "murderers" are a lot less interesting than the ones who make the Headlines. Killed their Partner while High. IQ of under 70.
    Ah, the legal profession not really knowing the definition of 'life'! I wonder what percentage of murderers actually spend the rest of their life in prison, I would suspect a very low percentage, maybe only those that are deemed clinically insane, but then they are probably convicted of manslaughter aren't they?
    Just reread that, certainly not having a go at you Phil, just the top of the legal system and Government who like to keep the phrase 'life sentence' when it is often far from that.
    edited November 2023
    There are - apparently - only about 70 "whole life prisoners" in UK jails according to this very interesting Wiki page. Quite an interesting list, too, of which 9 were sentenced in the last two years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prisoners_with_whole_life_orders#:~:text=By 2023, there were believed,baby serial killer, Lucy Letby.
  • tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,751
    Tikay10 said:

There are - apparently - only about 70 "whole life prisoners" in UK jails according to this very interesting Wiki page. Quite an interesting list, too, of which 9 were sentenced in the last two years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prisoners_with_whole_life_orders#:~:text=By 2023, there were believed,baby serial killer, Lucy Letby.

I would suggest the ‘whole of life’ sentence parameters are set by the government of day in relation to how many votes it would gain them.
    Tom, old aged cynic.