You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Marching Orders?

13»

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,055
    Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

Oh no, Theresa Coffey has been binned. How will we cope now?

How on earth did she get appointed in the first place.
    @HAYSIE

Dolly Dewdrop may have been involved.

As well as a number of other guilty parties.

Coffey served under Prime Minister Theresa May as a Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State at the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs from 2016 to 2019, before serving under Prime Minister Boris Johnson as a Minister of State at the same department from July to September 2019. In September 2019, after Amber Rudd resigned from Johnson's Cabinet, Coffey was appointed to the post of Secretary of State for Work and Pensions. After Johnson resigned in 2022, Coffey supported Liz Truss's bid to become Conservative leader. Coffey and Truss are close friends and political allies.[2] Following Truss's appointment as Prime Minister in September 2022, Coffey was appointed Deputy Prime Minister and Secretary of State for Health and Social Care. After Truss resigned in October 2022, Coffey was appointed by Rishi Sunak as the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thérèse_Coffey
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,310

Deputy Prime Minister.

The mind truly boggles. Still, Dolly Dewdrop became Prime Minister, so I guess anything is possible.
    Tikay10 said:

Deputy Prime Minister.

The mind truly boggles. Still, Dolly Dewdrop became Prime Minister, so I guess anything is possible.

I wouldnt have given her a job full stop.
    Let alone put her in charge of something.
    She always looks so scruffy.
    I watched her the other day talking to some flood victims.
    She had nothing to say, and clearly wished she was somewhere else.
    She is so ineffectual.
  • DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,975
    many years ago I worked as a door to door canvasser for double glazing companies. they utterly ripped off their workers so much so I tried to go to the media but they did not care.

No one will care, but effectively they said every appointment you made whether it sold or not you got £60 for. of course it seemed when I was expecting £720 a lot of money back then in one week I got £60 apparently the appointments were blow outs.

anyway I later found out that actually no the appointments had gone ahead. I thought they must be lying and only paying out on the ones that sold, nope they even sold on several but I didnt get paid.

I left without payment they forbid me from contacting any of the people from the appointments under data protection rules and made legal threats.

A few years later I had broken up with my first girlfriend she was a very manipulative narcist but if you understood her past you would understand she could never have been any other way. She manipulated me into thinking everything she had ever suffered before she knew me was somehow my fault I spent a year in therapy it was one of the darkest times of my life if not darkest. Anyway shortly after the break up before the therapy I went back to that double glazing company expecting to be ripped off but just so I could tell my ex I had a job to try and get back with her.

I got ripped off again. in the same way I knew what they were and I expected it, I literally only went back so that I could tell her I had a job dishonest but I was in a state and desperate. Anyway a few years after this I went to work in a place that had a location near by the double glazing place. some guy in a suit and tie tried to stop me and ask me if I wanted to work there, I said no and he pressed to why I said why without going into exact details and he said well hes gone now so its all fine.

Referring to a guy who had been the door to door canvasser manager who he tried to imply had been fired recently so now it was okay I wouldn't be ripped off on this door to door. He thought I was referring to the recent guy and would be gullible.

Why exactly do I go into this long apparently unrelated story?

because its the same crud with the tories. In all honesty I didn't even know who Theresa Coffee was until today. I actually thought Tikay was making some sought of joke or dig banter or etc at me that I didnt get and had gone over my head and so I googled it.

low and behold another scum. They are all Scum It does not matter the name the This Tory party are awful.

If Rishi Sunuk comes under fire looks like they are going and etc and we make a thread entitled Rishi Sunuk I just wont care because whilst your all Jubilant you will Just get another Morally bankrupt person in and this continues.

The only one resigning now I would care about is Lee Anderson and thats only because my girlfriend particularly hates him and it will make her happy to see him go. I wont be happy for myself if he goes because yeah I dont like him but they are all scum and I will only be happy if we get rid of the lot of them and get a change of government.
    Doubleme said:

many years ago I worked as a door to door canvasser for double glazing companies. they utterly ripped off their workers so much so I tried to go to the media but they did not care.

No one will care, but effectively they said every appointment you made whether it sold or not you got £60 for. of course it seemed when I was expecting £720 a lot of money back then in one week I got £60 apparently the appointments were blow outs.

anyway I later found out that actually no the appointments had gone ahead. I thought they must be lying and only paying out on the ones that sold, nope they even sold on several but I didnt get paid.

I left without payment they forbid me from contacting any of the people from the appointments under data protection rules and made legal threats.

A few years later I had broken up with my first girlfriend she was a very manipulative narcist but if you understood her past you would understand she could never have been any other way. She manipulated me into thinking everything she had ever suffered before she knew me was somehow my fault I spent a year in therapy it was one of the darkest times of my life if not darkest. Anyway shortly after the break up before the therapy I went back to that double glazing company expecting to be ripped off but just so I could tell my ex I had a job to try and get back with her.

I got ripped off again. in the same way I knew what they were and I expected it, I literally only went back so that I could tell her I had a job dishonest but I was in a state and desperate. Anyway a few years after this I went to work in a place that had a location near by the double glazing place. some guy in a suit and tie tried to stop me and ask me if I wanted to work there, I said no and he pressed to why I said why without going into exact details and he said well hes gone now so its all fine.

Referring to a guy who had been the door to door canvasser manager who he tried to imply had been fired recently so now it was okay I wouldn't be ripped off on this door to door. He thought I was referring to the recent guy and would be gullible.

because its the same crud with the tories. In all honesty I didn't even know who Theresa Coffee was until today. I actually thought Tikay was making some sought of joke or dig banter or etc at me that I didnt get and had gone over my head and so I googled it.

low and behold another scum. They are all Scum It does not matter the name the This Tory party are awful.

If Rishi Sunuk comes under fire looks like they are going and etc and we make a thread entitled Rishi Sunuk I just wont care because whilst your all Jubilant you will Just get another Morally bankrupt person in and this continues.

The only one resigning now I would care about is Lee Anderson and thats only because my girlfriend particularly hates him and it will make her happy to see him go. I wont be happy for myself if he goes because yeah I dont like him but they are all scum and I will only be happy if we get rid of the lot of them and get a change of government.

I have heard these stories so many times.
    Although they are rarely based on facts, or the the truth.
    For this to be true, it would mean double glazing companies are stupid.
    Finding a decent salesperson was always difficult, but finding a good canvasser was much harder.
    I would say that less than one in twenty of the canvassers that you take on, actually makes it.
    So ripping off canvassers is rather counterproductive.
    They will obviously leave, and you spend a fortune on advertising to recruit a replacement.
    Secondly, in my experience double glazing companies never paid for a lead.
    They paid for a pitch.
    If you paid canvassers for leads, they would just make them up.
    When I was in the business around 30% of canvassed leads resulted in a pitch.
    The rest blew out.
    Of those that were pitched around 30% were sold.
    They were usually confirmed on the phone with a whole list of qualifying questions.

Canvassers were so difficult to find I was aware that some companies resorted to very devious tactics.
    For instance a couple of my competitors advertised for van drivers.
    Applicants would turn up for the interview just before the team were due to go out.
    They would be told that they had got the job, but the vacancy had been filled, and they would have the next one.
    They would then be coaxed onto the minibus, with the canvass team.
    They would then travel say 30 miles away, so they couldnt just give up and go home.
    They were given the impression that they would just be canvassing for a bit, until a van drivers job came up.
    Of course this was just a pitch.

I started working in the double glazing industry in the 80s.
    I knew canvassers that were earning a grand a week then.
    They were valued and retained at all costs.

Paying for leads would be ridiculous.
    Paying for a pitch is sensible.
    We sold one in three of our pitches.
    So if we were paying £60 per pitch, the canvassing cost was £180 per deal, plus the team overheads.
    If we paid £60 per lead for the 10 leads required to get the three pitches, our costs would have gone up to £600 per deal, plus the teams overheads.
    The average deal in my day was £2k.
    So paying £60 per lead would have been out of the question.

The one thing that unsuccessful sales people, and canvassers had in common is that it was never their fault.

I still have a pint with the best canvasser I ever had.
    He started canvassing when he was 16, and is still at it 39 years later.
    He has a comfortable living.
    edited November 2023
    Tory MP defends 'embarrassingly poor' no confidence letter after grammar criticism
    Dame Andrea Jenkyns submitted a letter of no confidence in prime minister Rishi Sunak following his cabinet reshuffle this week.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/english-teachers-tory-mp-no-confidence-letter-105046743.html
  • DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,975
    HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

I have heard these stories so many times.
    Although they are rarely based on facts, or the the truth.
    For this to be true, it would mean double glazing companies are stupid.
    Finding a decent salesperson was always difficult, but finding a good canvasser was much harder.
    I would say that less than one in twenty of the canvassers that you take on, actually makes it.
    So ripping off canvassers is rather counterproductive.
    They will obviously leave, and you spend a fortune on advertising to recruit a replacement.
    Secondly, in my experience double glazing companies never paid for a lead.
    They paid for a pitch.
    If you paid canvassers for leads, they would just make them up.
    When I was in the business around 30% of canvassed leads resulted in a pitch.
    The rest blew out.
    Of those that were pitched around 30% were sold.
    They were usually confirmed on the phone with a whole list of qualifying questions.

Canvassers were so difficult to find I was aware that some companies resorted to very devious tactics.
    For instance a couple of my competitors advertised for van drivers.
    Applicants would turn up for the interview just before the team were due to go out.
    They would be told that they had got the job, but the vacancy had been filled, and they would have the next one.
    They would then be coaxed onto the minibus, with the canvass team.
    They would then travel say 30 miles away, so they couldnt just give up and go home.
    They were given the impression that they would just be canvassing for a bit, until a van drivers job came up.
    Of course this was just a pitch.

I started working in the double glazing industry in the 80s.
    I knew canvassers that were earning a grand a week then.
    They were valued and retained at all costs.

Paying for leads would be ridiculous.
    Paying for a pitch is sensible.
    We sold one in three of our pitches.
    So if we were paying £60 per pitch, the canvassing cost was £180 per deal, plus the team overheads.
    If we paid £60 per lead for the 10 leads required to get the three pitches, our costs would have gone up to £600 per deal, plus the teams overheads.
    The average deal in my day was £2k.
    So paying £60 per lead would have been out of the question.

The one thing that unsuccessful sales people, and canvassers had in common is that it was never their fault.

I still have a pint with the best canvasser I ever had.
    He started canvassing when he was 16, and is still at it 39 years later.
    He has a comfortable living.
    I agreed with your point on leads that could literally be made up I could hypothetically lie and say people had accepted appointments when they had not. etc etc we were told though that if the sales guy gets his foot through the door thats £60 to us whether it sells or not. I never contacted the supposed blow outs because I was told I cant its illegal under data protection etc but other canvassers did and thats how stuff blew up. If it was one canvasser maybe but it was more then one.

in my first week I had £720 worth of appointments so that would be 12 appointments for a full working week of knocking doors, we didnt get paid any hourly commission only. Is 12 appointments in a week good or bad I dont know I actually think its probably pretty bad thats less then two appointments a day on a full day of door knocking etc. Maybe you disagree? so Maybe they just ripped of the bad canvassers there wasnt ever anyone long term in this place though, like different managers and different canvassers repeatedly if the canvassers were been paid right why would they leave etc?

It was always a shady practice full stop they constantly gave a different name which business is ashamed of or feels it needs to hide its name? we were told to change the name on multiple occasions.

One other thing we were told is that we had to tell customers it had to be 3 hour appointments because we were told the sales person was going to have a cup of tea chat to the customer and find out about their interests they gave the example of them been Arsenal fans then they would ask things like how many games they went to did they go to the away games did they go to the European games etc, we were told this was economic profiling so they could work out what the customer could afford and charge as much as they could get out of them.

I always told myself if I ever become a property owner I would make the appointment and then pull of something ridiculousness to annoy them. For starters I would pick an interest so innately boring that almost no one could want to talk about it the lights would be switched of and no signs of electricity running. We would offer them a cup of tea/coffee then when they inevitably said yes (once they have a hot drink in their hand its awkward to kick them out before they finished that's guaranteed more time few sales people will turn down a hot drink for this reason) we then go outside to the garden where a fire pit is made from locally gathered stones and sticks I would say we would try and start the fire with flints or rubbing sticks together but implying we cant even afford a lighter might be to far and give the game away so we would have a lighter for this.

then we light the fire pit and heat water over the fire for the drinks implying we cant afford electricity. originally the plan was to offer them insects to eat cooked over the fire pit implying we cant afford basic food but again this may be too obvious and give the troll away so instead we would stick to all Food been ASDA essentials. and the cheapest of this.

when the sales person implies buying stuff on credit we say we are banned from having credit cards to imply bad credit rating. We dont have a bed round the place instead cheap sleeping bags on the floor the bed and mattress will have to go into storage for this appointment.

curious as my ambition to own a property is largely motivated by this troll revenge I have to ask @HAYSIE if you were the sales person would you deduce your been trolled here or would you still try to make the sale and soldier on?

There was an other troll I thought of which we may also pull on these guys if they are silly enough to accept a second appointment but I think explaining that troll would be against forum rules. so without going into those details it would be something weird implying the desire to spend as much money as possible, going through the entire catalogue and then when the sale is about to be confirmed my girlfriend mentions okay we need to check with our landlord implying we are not the property owners I wont be able to speak throughout this only she can speak I cant really explain why. There be an issue of indecent exposure or something similiar with that one so would likely need to check with a Lawyer before we pulled that one off. Mind you if we do buy a place at some point we can do both trolls the latter one before we move and the first troll when we have moved.

edited November 2023

I agreed with your point on leads that could literally be made up I could hypothetically lie and say people had accepted appointments when they had not. etc etc we were told though that if the sales guy gets his foot through the door thats £60 to us whether it sells or not. I never contacted the supposed blow outs because I was told I cant its illegal under data protection etc but other canvassers did and thats how stuff blew up. If it was one canvasser maybe but it was more then one.

So you dont really know then?
    You are basing this whole story, and your accusations, on unsubstantiated stories from other people, and no proof.
    I used to have a canvasser called Carl.
    He lasted 2 weeks.
    He only ever booked 93 year old widows.
    He booked more leads when it was raining.
    This was probably because more of them felt sorry for him.
    He was in his early twenties, but looked twelve.
    His pitch to them was that he didnt get any wages, but if they had a rep around for a quote, he would get £20.
    Lots of his leads confirmed up, but none were ever pitched, even though on a number of occasions a rep got over the door.
    Hence payment for a pitch.
    Paying canvassers like Carl, or paying for a lead, would lead to bankruptcy.

in my first week I had £720 worth of appointments so that would be 12 appointments for a full working week of knocking doors, we didnt get paid any hourly commission only. Is 12 appointments in a week good or bad I dont know I actually think its probably pretty bad thats less then two appointments a day on a full day of door knocking etc. Maybe you disagree? so Maybe they just ripped of the bad canvassers there wasnt ever anyone long term in this place though, like different managers and different canvassers repeatedly if the canvassers were been paid right why would they leave etc?

Maybe they didnt rip off any canvassers.
    How many leads you book is irrelevant.
    I wish I had a £1 for every lead, that said to me that they only gave their name and address to get rid of the canvasser.
    The worst leads were always the ones without phone numbers.
    Many of these were just made up.
    I employed good canvassers that booked around 10 leads per day.
    Of these you might pitch three, and sell one.
    Many canvassers left because they couldnt do the job, or couldnt do it in the long term.
    If Carl had phoned his leads back, he would have found that a rep got over the door on some of them.
    All the reps in those days were self employed, and used their own cars and petrol to travel to Carls leads, that maybe thirty or forty miles away, for a complete waste of their time, and money.
    I employed a number of Carls.

It was always a shady practice full stop they constantly gave a different name which business is ashamed of or feels it needs to hide its name? we were told to change the name on multiple occasions.

I dont understand this bit.
    Every company I worked had brochures, and documentation, with the companys name on it.
    If the canvassers were saying that they represented a different company would only cause confusion, and suspicion.
    This would be unlikely to increase sales.

One other thing we were told is that we had to tell customers it had to be 3 hour appointments because we were told the sales person was going to have a cup of tea chat to the customer and find out about their interests they gave the example of them been Arsenal fans then they would ask things like how many games they went to did they go to the away games did they go to the European games etc, we were told this was economic profiling so they could work out what the customer could afford and charge as much as they could get out of them.

Doing this would be very silly, and would radically reduce the number of leads produced.
    Who told you about the economic profiling?
    Was it someone called Carl?

I always told myself if I ever become a property owner I would make the appointment and then pull of something ridiculousness to annoy them. For starters I would pick an interest so innately boring that almost no one could want to talk about it the lights would be switched of and no signs of electricity running. We would offer them a cup of tea/coffee then when they inevitably said yes (once they have a hot drink in their hand its awkward to kick them out before they finished that's guaranteed more time few sales people will turn down a hot drink for this reason) we then go outside to the garden where a fire pit is made from locally gathered stones and sticks I would say we would try and start the fire with flints or rubbing sticks together but implying we cant even afford a lighter might be to far and give the game away so we would have a lighter for this.

then we light the fire pit and heat water over the fire for the drinks implying we cant afford electricity. originally the plan was to offer them insects to eat cooked over the fire pit implying we cant afford basic food but again this may be too obvious and give the troll away so instead we would stick to all Food been ASDA essentials. and the cheapest of this.

when the sales person implies buying stuff on credit we say we are banned from having credit cards to imply bad credit rating. We dont have a bed round the place instead cheap sleeping bags on the floor the bed and mattress will have to go into storage for this appointment.

curious as my ambition to own a property is largely motivated by this troll revenge I have to ask @HAYSIE if you were the sales person would you deduce your been trolled here or would you still try to make the sale and soldier on?

I would have blown you out on the phone, and wouldnt have turned up.
    I think you live in a fantasy world.
    Or at lest not the same world as me.
    The bit above proves that you should be employed by a Village somewhere.

There was an other troll I thought of which we may also pull on these guys if they are silly enough to accept a second appointment but I think explaining that troll would be against forum rules. so without going into those details it would be something weird implying the desire to spend as much money as possible, going through the entire catalogue and then when the sale is about to be confirmed my girlfriend mentions okay we need to check with our landlord implying we are not the property owners I wont be able to speak throughout this only she can speak I cant really explain why. There be an issue of indecent exposure or something similiar with that one so would likely need to check with a Lawyer before we pulled that one off. Mind you if we do buy a place at some point we can do both trolls the latter one before we move and the first troll when we have moved.

Little things..............
    But be careful.
    I recall an incident where one of my reps had signed a contract with a couple in their late 50s.
    He was just about to leave, when their son arrived home from the pub.
    He maintained that his parents were stupid to sign the contract, before proceeding to abuse my rep.
    They phoned the following day to cancel the contract, because my rep had laid their son out on the living room floor.